Biola University

« See more reviews of Biola University

Professors here are very intentional about knowing your name and investing in you. Obviously not ever professor is because they have a big class and that would be impossible. However with those professors if you seek them out and make an appointment to meet with them in their office, they will gladly get to know you. I’ve had a number of favorite classes here that it is hard to choose which one has been my favorite. I would talk about a recent one. I am in a travel video production class and our final to create our own travel show. I chose to do an show about Art, hoping to inspire others to check out places nearby that showcase art and also to inspire them to see the world differently. I went to Venice Beach, Ca and interviewed some artists, talked about the Getty Museum and Lacma in my video. The rest of my show consisted of an interview with an artist, myself showing how you can make a painting of your own and talking about our schools own art gallery. My class had an awards show and we dressed up like we were going to the Oscars. I won a prize for wining “best script.” That was a fun class. I spend time with my professors outside of class. I am a Journalism major and one of the professors in our department is very evolved in the students lives. He is one of our best friends and students can come in his office anytime and share anything with him. Our school requires that we also take 30 units of Bible in addition to our major. Sometimes you will hear grumblings about this but I am so thankful to have this foundation. These are not just classes; this is a foundation for my faith and something I will keep for the rest of my life. Our school is geared towards teaching students to become good at their craft but also to have a strong faith and be a light to this world.

Biola is small enough that in major classes, the average class size is no more than about 20 students. The professors generally care about you as a person, and really try and get to know you as an individual rather than a student. They know you by name and are always seeking ways to help you in any way that they can. My favorite class at Biola has been a journalism class that I took which involved students coming together to publish a book about the homeless on Skid Row. This class really pushed the boundaries of what a normal class should be like, and involved the students in real, hands on experience in the field of journalism. In the journalism department, the professors are really aspiring to equip their students for work in the field and helping to prepare students to get jobs after graduation. Thus, faculty and student communication outside of class is highly recommended to students, and professors are always willing to meet with you for any needs. The academic stature at Biola University is very challenging and definitely met my needs for what I expected college level courses to consist of. Biola strives for academic excellence, and this is definitely evident in the courses that I have taken. The journalism department requires students to take a vast array of courses to prepare students for the journalism field, and I feel adequately prepared to seek employment in the field of journalism with a degree from Biola University.

Biola has outstanding academics. The teachers are all very well trained in their corse material and all have real world experience with the subject matter. They take time to get to know each and every student on a personal level and listen to your problems and try to solve them with you instead of simply giving you the answer.Teachers at Biola do not only teach their students but they also mentor them throughout their lives. Teachers like to schedule time with their students to talk to them about their goals in life and what they hope to be doing after they graduate, they also help you find internship and help you with your resume to make it easier for you to find a job.I am majoring in Public Relations and I have spent time talking with the head of Biolas Public Relations many times over this past semester. Everyone is very open to helping you and answering any questions you may have with a smile on their face.It is not uncommon to be invited into a professors home as a class to sit down and have a nice meal with the class. At Biola the professors are personally interested in seeing you succeed and reach your goals in life. They see you as more than students, when you are at Biola you are a part of a family.

Academics at Biola are always delved in Biblical truth. It is mandatory that all students minor in Bible, which comes to 30 units of Bible all-together. In core classes pertaining to a student's major area of study, the topic is frequently connected to the Christian walk. Professors are personable and know their students due to their care for them and the fact that classes are generally smaller and more intimate. Like class size, difficulty ranges depending on the professor and topic. When an exam or final comes up, professors oftentimes will plan a study and review session for the students to really understand and know the material. Most professors make themselves available to the students at all times, by phone or e-mail, and it is not unusual for students to meet with the professor outside of class to talk. Generally, students are eager learners, studying often all around campus and many times with large groups of people and subjects from the class room will often times come up in conversation. The academics at Biola are geared towards reflecting God in whatever you do and learning to do it well.

The professors at Biola are amazing! Depending on what class you are taking most professors know who you are and are ready and able to answer any questions you have inside or outside of class. I have never had a hard time getting a hold of a teacher. My classes have ranged from my general ed classes being about 300 students to my major classes being about 20 students per class. Professors really make students take pride in their work and encourage us to strive to do our best and get the best grades we can. Class participation is very common and there are hardly any classes I have taken where the professor is the only one that talks. My major classes are really great and help me learn for the sake of learning but also help me know what i need to know in order to land a job after I leave college. The professors really give us a lot of hands on work rather than just busy work and I feel like I learn so much from this. I feel so prepared for life after college because of my education at Biola.

The classes here at Biola are exciting and worth your money. I am just finishing up my first semester here and have thoroughly enjoyed each class. In general, the class sizes range from 20-30 students but for the more common, general education classes, the class sizes can be a couple of hundred students. One of my classes this semester was 400 students and it was an exciting experience being in a big lecture hall with so many familiar faces. My other 5 classes were relatively small, only about 30 kids in each. My professors know me by name, help me with assignments one-on-one and even went over my next semester class schedule with me. The professors are extremely involved and desire to get to know each student. The academics are rarely tough. I came from a private, college preparatory high school and found some of my classes to be quite challenging. While not every student truly cares about doing well, the vast majority do and it only encourages me to do my best as well.

At Biola, professors make themselves available to their students. Many of my friends have been invited to their professor's home for dinner or have been taken in over the holidays. All of my professors know me by my first name. Some programs are a lot more competitive than others. For example, the cinema and media arts department has a reputation for only accepting very talented film and production hopefuls. Our science, business and journalism departments are known for having more challenging majors. Small class sizes offer more focused attention but can also limit available resources. Academically, students usually don't spend all their time in the library; Biola primarily wants students to grow spiritually, accrue knowledge and mature into well-balanced adults. The honor students tend to pour themselves into their studies, but everyone else seems to have plenty of space in their schedules for extracurriculars.

Biola University is not normally associated with being known for having rigorous academics, but people come for more than just an education. At Biola, you not only gain immediate hands-on experience within your major, but all students also acquire a minor in Biblical Studies by the end of their four plus years here. I personally have not been put in a position academically where I have felt overwhelmed or incapable of doing excellently on an assignment or project. However, I can accredit some of this to taking only writing or journalism classes, which are my strongest suits. The most difficult, yet fruitful, class I have taken so far has been my Bible class, Biblical Interpretation and Spiritual Formation. I believe the workload you decide upon, as well as how much you decide to be involved in, whether in a club, ministry, or job, plays an important role in the difficulty of academics at Biola.

The professors know my name and care about my grade and helping me succeed. I love my journalism classes because every assignment we have requires us to go out, conduct interviews, get stories, film and write; and we have to get published...as freshmen! This is the best way to learn--with hands-on training in an environment where I'm not afraid to fail and make mistakes. Intellectual discussion flows naturally outside of class. It is not uncommon to hear people in the cafe discuss theology and God. The professors encourage us to stop by their offices, call them, email them, and ask for help. I am confident that because my professors are so supportive, I will be a professional journalist even before senior year. We are required to pursue internships and jobs outside of Biola to expand our realm of influence and learning.

Biola's academics provide options for a wide range of students. Whether you are interested in nursing, business, or a classical liberal arts honors program, Biola encourages its students to pursue their individual gifts with excellence. Biola has a low student to faculty ratio, and professors strongly encourage individual participation. Professors are also committed to engaging their students outside of the classroom, and encourage students to meet for office hours, study groups, or even "family meals" at their own homes. Students are also challenged to find practical ways to integrate their faith with their work, so that a student's whole self - mind, heart, and body - is cultivated throughout their academic journey.