Biola University

« See more reviews of Biola University

If you are the kind of person who is particularly attached to such social activities as drinking, gambling, and engaging in sexual activities outside of marriage, or if you detest chapel attendance, then Biola is not for you. Students here sign a contract prohibiting those behaviors. Biola is an evangelical Christian organization, and all of its students are committed followers of Jesus Christ. People who are not Christians, or are not completely devoted to following God's will for their lives, will not enjoy the atmosphere of Biola. The happiest students on Biola's campus are the more conservative ones.

Although Biola is a wonderful university that fits the needs of a broad spectrum of students, it definitely does not fit all. Biola holds very high standards for their student in all aspects of life; therefore, young adults wishing to attend a school filled with parties, drinking, and drugs need to direct their college search elsewhere. Along with the party hardy folks, the "free soul" personalities would be dissatisfied with Biola. Not only does Biola have a set of standards that each student must follow, but everyone is required to take specific classes alongside their majors in order to graduate.

This school is not the ideal institution for those seeking an agricultural or unreligios lifestyle. the Los Angeles location encourages an upbeat and fast paced lifestyle which isn't for everyone. There are many oppertunites due to its location, but these will be unhelpful if a student is seeking some a career that is not popular in this region. Also, this school has a very religions approach to campus life, so if student is looking for a "party school" experience then another school should be considered. there are a fair amount of parties, but Biola is a dry campus.

Well the school is founded on Christian principles and is an evangelical school and still very much abide by Christian and biblical principles. So if that is not appealing to someone then I would definitely encourage them to look for a school more suited to their interests, one that would be more suited to who they are. However Biola is not oppressively conservative and the student body is certainly more varied than the instituion itself. The school does have community standards that the student body is expected to abide by but they are pretty reasonable.

Biola is focused on teaching students based on integration of the bible with the subject of study. We learn how to properly apply our beliefs to our studies when applicable in order to proclaim the word of God in any area of work through word and deed. This is not to say that non-Christians should not attend Biola, but they may not have the same appreciation for the education that we receive at Biola. It is still a very open community to different cultures, backgrounds, and religions.

I transfered into Biola last school year (2013-2014) and I'm not going to lie, coming from a community college was a challenge. In community college I seemed to get better grades without putting as much work in. Biola has definitely pushed me to be more dilligent with my work. That being said, if someone is not self-motivated, Biola may not be a good fit for them. You have to have some sort of goal in mind to remind yourself of why all of the work you are doing is worth it.

A Christian looking for a great small school to receive a Christian based education. You have to put yourself out there and meet new people, but there are plenty of opportunities to get involved and be apart of what is going on around campus. There is no drinking and no drugs allowed on or off campus while enrolled at this school. There are certain hours you can/can't go into opposite sex dorm rooms, so you will have to find other places to hang out if you're into that.

A person who was not a professing Christian could not attend this school. This university was built on the goal to impact the world for the Lord Jesus Christ, so they provide a foundation of Biblical teaching and challenge us throughout the educational experience. Making Biola a 100% Christian community may sound restrictive, but this is what makes it so unique. Just visiting the campus, you can feel the different dynamics of community and even stewardship.

If you're not a Christian, you probably won't enjoy the fact that we're required 30 chapels and 30 bible units. It is a Christian school so if you're not a Christian I wouldn't recommend it for you. Also, Biola's campus culture is very interesting. If you're from the east coast (as I am) just be prepared for a major difference. Biola's very hipster/fashion oriented and a lot of emphasis is put on outward appearance by students (unfortunately).

Unfortuantely, if you are not a Christian, you cannot attend this magnificent school. Anybody seeking the stereotypical lifestyle portrayed in media about college should not attend BU. There are no frats, no substanance use allowed or even done anywhere on campus. The parties held here uphold the college standard. The community standards are simple and possible, and if you break contract, you cant return.