Biola University

« See more reviews of Biola University

Your career has begun. Every day you have is an opportunity to step closer to the future you want for yourself and can build for yourself. Balance your time, study what you are majoring in and understand that social life will happen naturally. Connect with people who share life with you and who sharpen you. Don't worry about missing out on social life if you study or spend as long as it takes to understand the homework. Procrastination is manageable. Give yourself little breaks to keep your mind in constant growth. You have a career to accomplish, not a reputation to uphold.

Before coming to Biola University I wish someone had told me that many students go home on the weekend. The center of campus beocmes almost like a ghost town on certain weekends. Many students live nearby therefore they go home to visit family on weekends, leaving a small protion of students left on campus. This does not happen every weekend, but it does happen often. Do not get me wrong, you can always find friends to hang out with on the weekend and go explore beautiful Southern California or chill in the dorms, there is just less people overall.

From the bottom of my heart, I can honestly say that I wish I had more of a background in Christianity, and that Momma always knows what's best. By jumping from a public high school to a private Christian University was a major transition. There were times in Bible class I was lost because I never heard the story of Peter and the sons of Zebedee. It has been one of the greatest challenges, but the most humbling, and rewarding experience I could ever imagine. As for the young, naive, high school prancers-- Momma always knows what's best.

Coming from a high school that was bursting with school spirit, I wish that I would have known the level of school pride of a typical Biola student. The overall spirit is about on the same level of the school spirit for a middle school. It's there, but not a driving force that leads to packed stands and lost voices. Granted, this piece of information would not have lead me away from choosing Biola, but it would've been a nice heads up when I attended the first game finding the students sitting down and not vigorously cheering.

I wish I would have known that the surrounding area is filthy and gets really boring after a while. It is an endless mirage of the same fast-food joints and B grade strip malls. There is no college town to speak of unless you want to drive 20 miles in any dierction. I also wish i'd have known that the general education is sub-par and that the facilities and cafeteria were also sub-par. The facilities are not worth the high private school prices we pay. The campus is aesthetically boring and unpleasant to live in.

Before I had come to Biola, I wish I had been prepared for the fact that it would completely change my life and my worldview. They always say that you really "find" yourself in college, that it is the time of your life when you break free from your parents and truly own your personal ideas and beliefs. What I didn't know was that the process of becoming my own person would completely rock my world - in a good way. I didn't know that it would be the most challenging - and the most rewarding - time of my life.

I wish I had known how much fun college and making new friends would be. I wish I had known that the mystery of college is a fun adventure. I wish I had known that I shouldn't worry or be afriad of college, and the unknown isn't a bad thing but something that can be embraced. I wish I had known how helpful everybody is at Biola with helping people adjust to being away from home and at college. I wish I hadn't worried, stressed out, or been scared but had been excited before I left home.

My parents and I expected that when I began attending Biola in August, I could easily find an on-campus job, which we knew I needed to have in order to pay for school. When I went to look for jobs, however, I realized that only a handful of positions were available. Biola does not offer very many on-campus positions, and I wish I had known that ahead of time. I cannot work off-campus because I do not have a car, so I frantically applied for every job I could. I finally got one in October.

I wish I could have learned more about where things are located in the campus. As a commuter, I don’t really get the advantage of being in school for hours and walking around the campus, exploring. I had to find time to walk around and see where certain building is located and where events happen. I guess it just takes time in knowing where everything is and finding my way throughout the campus.

I wish that I would have known how to manage my time in a better fashion. I tend to spend most of my time doing school work and studying. I think my study skills are great, yet last semester I did not know how to allot myself time to relax and spend with my friends. Time management would have helped me to allow myself to stop working non-stop and give me time to revive myself to study later.