Biola University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Biola University

Biola University is by far the best university I could ever attend. God is working out His good in the lives of every student and faculty member here. I am so blessed and honored to be able to study under amazing, caring, and brilliant professors. I am confident that my time studying here at Biola will be one of the most impactful season in my life (spiritually, emotionally, and educationally).

Madison

Biola is a school of excellence where I felt the special family of community that is welcoming to everyone that steps on campus. You can feel the spirit of Jesus on campus which is a special thing you do not see on most college campuses. The teachers were so welcoming to me as a guest, and you can tell they are invested full-heartedly into every student, wanting to be available​ and help shape everyone as individuals. Students there want to be in class and in that community, and it is a place I feel I could grow immensely in my character, faith, and education in the best way. It is a wonderful place to be and I wouldn't dream of going anywhere else.

Victoria

Biola is a great university to grow spiritually. It makes the point that academics are not the most important aspect in your life, and it's important to keep yourself emotionally, physically, mentally, and spiritually healthy. Whenever one steps into Biola, they can feel the different atmosphere automatically - it's friendly, accessible, and there is an aura of a presence everyone can feel.

Biola University is a beautiful campus with great community life. Not only is it located in the beautiful city of La Mirada, California, but it has a great community feel on campus. The students seem very unified and willing to help each other. Biola University also takes a strong stand in its Christian faith which makes it significant to man other colleges. Not to mention, the food is very impressive.

Natalie

It’s a great school with a great community of students. Professors are super reliable and always are open to talking with you and meeting with you. There are so many things to get involved in, and ways to try new things. Biola University implements Scripture into every class, which helps every student grow spiritually throughout their time at school.

Rebekah

Biola University is a one-of-a-kind college. The students and staff are very genuine people who truly live out their faith. Professors are very studied in their area of discipline and do an excellent job integrating faith with learning. My experience at Biola has changed my life for the better. I learned how to think for myself and not fear the opinions of those different from my own. I learned how to critically evaluate the media, culture, and my own background from a Biblical perspective. The way I view ads, movies, and the people I come in contact with on a regular basis has been forever changed. In sum, my mind, spirit, and body grew and matured in a way that I never could have imagined.

Reyna

When I first went on the campus I knew this was the place I wanted to be. I loved the facility, the students, the classes, and simple the atmosphere of the campus. As a Christian, the campus embodied all the things that I believe it and are necessary for me. I totally love it and can't wait to go back.

Breanna

I love BIOLA! It's great for those who love a tight knit community. The dorm life is great because you end up knowing most people in your dorm, if you choose to, because of all the campus/dorm events. The professors really care about your well being, and come alongside and really impend all of their knowledge onto you. If you don't understand the content the professors will always have office hours on your schedule even if it doesn't go along with their hours, which is super accommodating. It's easy to get involved, but only if YOU choose to do so. People there just want to see you succeed and grow with the Lord. They challenge you in your faith to really believe what you are proclaiming, and to live it out.

Aden

I am currently concluding my second semester at Biola University as a kinesiology major and I have loved my time so far! As a private Christian university, students and faculty alike are serious about their faith and living in a way that glorifies God. That means that the party and drugs/alcohol scene are almost non-existent and are only present if you look very hard for them, and campus faculty are committed to providing the environment that the university claims to have. I live and dine on campus and these services are very well kept. The dorms are all in great condition and come with air conditioning and basic room accommodations (dressers, bed, etc...), and there are several on campus dining options, including the cafeteria and smaller cafes. All facilities are kept up to date with many departments currently receiving new major-specific facilities. There are a few classes that can exceed a few hundred students, but most of these are general-education classes, with more major-specific classes being under 30 students. Overall I would rate Biola University a 10/10. Overall rating- 10/10

Samuel

The Bible Institute of Los Angeles is an excellent place to learn. There are many opportunities for students to learn about faith and then practice their faith in the community. Their model of putting education into practice helps students see the importance and relevance of their learning.

Catherine-Leigh

Biola University is an amazing school. It was hard adjusting at first. Being away from home and what I was used to, but after a little while it really started to feel like home. I love my dorm. The people are great. My RA’s are very supportive and aware. They really try to make everyone feel at home. The meal plan gives 10-12 meals to the cafeteria every week, depending on which one you get. This is more than enough for me and I always have extra. The food at the cafeteria is pretty good. Even if you do not want what they are serving, you can also count on the salad bar. The mean plan also gives you 150$ per semester to spend on the other restaurants on campus. This is really nice for if you are craving a smoothie or a coffee. I also love my classes and professors. They are pretty difficult because I am in the sciences, but it is worth it. My professors are so engaging and they are always open to questions. The Biology lab is especially nice because you have a chance to ask more in depth questions that were not possible during the lecture. My classmates are also pretty cool. I got really lucky and met some really great friends within the first couple of weeks that are in my major. It is really hard to describe the experience at Biola in a few sentences, but it is just amazing and I am so glad I decided to come here.

Felicia

I had a unique experience at Biola University as a double major. I took courses in the film program and anthropology program, back when the school offered an anthropology degree. While I am thankful for my time there, I urge interested students to be careful which program they choose to pursue. The film program receives great funding and I had the incredible privilege of shooting a short film on the most recent technology available. This was the only advantage to this program. Many faculty members in the cinema and media arts department have extensive academic and industry experience, however, my classes were simply not challenging enough. Professors did not push students to ask critical questions of their work or create an environment that encouraged open dialogue. My experience in the anthropology department was the opposite. Students were rewarded for asking difficult questions and taught how to give and receive real criticism. I did some of the most challenging writing in these classes that prepared me for graduate school and my future career. Unfortunately, deeply embroiled tension between the school’s Evangelical Christian affiliation and the science of anthropology meant the program had to be eviscerated. Funding dollars won out over academic excellence in the battle of ideology. I sincerely hope students of Biola University can continue to access the vision and incredible faculty of the anthropology department that gave me a firm foothold in my future in the social sciences.

Bethany

I love Biola University. Since coming here I have known that this is the place that God wants me to be. I love my professors and my peers. Everyone receives the same Bible minor which means that there is always a meaningful conversation to be had. I know that Biola cares for me and my well-being. The school offers so many programs to help students and has one of the best campus safety forces in the country. Our film school has been named one of the top 50 film schools in the country and our music is fantastic, too. I chose Biola specifically because of the education program and the fast track it offers toward credentialing. I cannot think of a better environment to be in than Biola University.

Dylan

It is a very safe campus and is very good for Christian students. They not only have great academics but also great ways to connect with others and the professors are very nice. Biola also has many opportunities for students to connect with God and grow even more spiritually.

Jensen

When I was college searching, I said that I would go anywhere EXCEPT Biola University. I ended up applying anyway and got accepted. I chose Biola as my college out of convenience. First semester I told myself I hated it and everyone in it. Second semester I decided to open my mind and it turned out to be amazing! The community and professors are amazing, and I wouldn't trade this school for any other!

Felicia

I was fully supported by the professors in my major department. The required Biblical Studies minor included professors I felt were unqualified or underprepared to teach at the university level. As a social science major, we had enough resources plus an archaeological site on campus. My other major, film production, had many more resources and most professors were well qualified. I loved most of my teachers but school administration did not always make decisions that aligned with students and faculty but more often to appease donors.

Olivia

Biola University is a phenomenal school for students aspiring to receive a Christian education. Biola strives to think biblically about all aspects in education. Each undergraduate student is required to complete a variety of religious-based classes and earn a minor in Biblical Studies. It is not uncommon to find students carrying their Bibles, attending prayer groups, and engaging in deep conversations about religion. There are many opportunities for Biola students to get involved on campus. There are clubs, leadership teams, study abroad and missionary opportunities, and a variety of sports (both recreational and team-based). Professors are always opened to meeting with students for educational or personal purposes. Biola cares about each student's spiritual development. Each student is required to obtain a fixed number of chapel credits per semester, attend the Annual Torrey Conference and Missions Conference, and encourages students to partake in spiritual developmental counseling. On-campus housing is improving. They have been renovating and building new dorms for students. Food is great! A lot of different options. Students are required to have a meal plan if they live on campus.

Biola University is truly like no other college in California. I've always admired how Biola upholds the Bible as their guide in every decision they make. I've had many friends tell me just how amazing the campus community is. In my experience, it has been nearly effortless to make friends and practice living a Christian life without being bombarded by liberal agendas either by the professor or in the curriculum. One of the things that stood out was how eager Biola's staff and professors are in getting to know each student in their class. Biola is a place where both students and teachers can have a deeper relationship. The teachers become mentors to the students, and the biblical counsel and care that they give to their students is unlike what most people would get from liberal college teachers. Biola has become a second home to me. I wouldn't trade my experience here for the world!

Jessie

Biola University is a diamond amidst the chaos of the city of Los Angeles. With an education that promotes diversity, intellectual conversations, and community, students feel known and valued for who they are as unique individuals. Biola offers an academically rigorous education that is rooted in truth and love. The campus is beautiful, clean and safe and students are encouraged to work hard and dream big.

Shalisha

Biola University is the perfect place to develop a relationship with christ as well as engaging in an academic and culturally centered environment. In my opinion Biola is the place to be, not only to get a good education but also to create life long friendships.