Moline, IL
Black Hawk College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Black Hawk College

Wyatt

Black Hawk college is a small community college quickly going the way of the dodo. With decreasing enrollment numbers and poor financial decision making by the board, faculty are being laid off and classes are being dropped from the offering list. The food option is Subway, there is nothing else (I just got food poisoning there last week so I'd recommend staying clear). They just cut half the art department and many of the physical science courses due to lack of funding. Overall, Black Hawk is in a steep tailspin that I fear it may not pull out of.

Black Hawk College is a small college with a great student and faculty community. My classes are small, but I find this only beneficial as I get lots of one-on-one attention from teachers. The quality of the teachers and class material is excellent for the price of the community college. A lot of community colleges get a bad stigma, but this does not apply to Black Hawk. Quality, affordable education can easily be found within reach here. I’ve also found a very intelligent, goal-oriented friend group. Black Hawk College is a good environment. I’ve heard about parties on weekends, but they are few and far between. No one I personally know has ever gotten involved. We stay out of trouble, because we’re working hard to get good grades and understand the material taught in class. Black Hawk College is in the middle of four cities, so there are lots of opportunities to get involved around town. There are performing arts, like the orchestras, and there are many visual art displays around town. There is culture and many tourist activities. Back on campus, the campus is small, but slightly wooded. It’s a beautiful little sanctuary to walk through when you need a mental break from the stress of finals or normal collegiate life. There are faculties all around, ready to help and assist wherever needed. The campus is also very safe. The on-campus police department is excellent, kind, and helpful. They respond quickly to help a student unlock his car doors before his next class, and return lost belongings to their rightful owners. Overall, Black Hawk College is a great place and I’m proud to be a student.

Black Hawk College has a very welcoming environment as well as extremely helpful staff. This school is definitely a good choice if you are not sure what to pursue as their advising department only wants to get you on the right track. The instructors are helpful when it comes to classroom issues as well as providing their e-mails and office hours to everyone for extra assistance in classes.

Devan

Black Hawk is so much better than high school.

Black Hawk is so much better than high school.

I know that you're a procrastinator. I know that you exercise by pushing your luck, and that's how you stay so small. But get ahead of yourself. Stand in your way, pull yourself off to the side, and do things before they're due. Remember that 'due' and 'do' sound similar, but they mean completely different things. I know that it's stressful and overwhelming, but the future happens whether you're ready or not, and you'll never feel ready. When you need to stand up and fight yourself to get something done, but you'd rather sleep, stand up and fight. You can sleep tomorrow, you can sleep tonight. Oversleeping isn't healthy. The stress that pushing everything back causes isn't healthy. There are people that want to help you, and nobody wants to see you fail. You might not care now, but I care, and I was you once. With that, remember that I love you, and I know you try. I'd say good luck, but you don't need it.

I brag about this essay that I wrote for British Literature about Paradise Lost, which was about how Lucifer is the most compelling character because he is relatable, charming, and a good leader. I'm very proud of it and I got an A.

Michelle

Black Hawk College is a great school with small classes so each students can recieve the attention he/she wants and deserves.

If I could go back in time and talk to my senior self that would be very beneficial. As a senior I let stress get in my way a lot and did not figure out how to deal with it until college. Because of this I would give myself the advice of; always get a jump start on things that need to get done and do not let stress get the best of you. Hard work goes a long way so getting ahead and not letting yourself get too stressed will help you get even farther.

Black Hawk College is not a school for students who want to sit in the back of class and nap as classes are small and hands on.

Heather

I am a nontraditional student; a mother and a wife. Traveling back in time to my senior year would give me the opportunity to reinvent myself into a college graduate before beginning a family of my own. My best advice to myself would consist of motivation. I would rely on the old saying ?if there is a will, there is a way?. I would tell myself not to give up. Taking opportunity in my own hands and going out there searching for the means so I could get an education. Time goes so fast and the next thing one knows is that they are married with children. One can no longer be selfish, but selfless. Give to yourself first. Be selfish and manage your time wisely while in college, because in the real world it is very difficult to find time for yourself and live your dream of a college education.

Through my experience, when it comes to my school the educators are the best! I have seen these people take their valuable time and assist students on an individual basis. I have always been fortunate enough to form outstanding student teacher relationships. These educators are real people who have been in our shoes and have an understanding of our situations, but treat us as adults. They facilitate lifelong learning in their students.

My school has two campuses. The east campus seems to be located right out my back door, while the main campus is an hour drive. I am a nursing student and all my nursing classes are held at the main campus. Therefore the most frustrating thing about my school is that the nursing classes for the ADN program are only located at the main campus. The drive is very long and winter driving conditions are not always ideal. However, I continue to overcome this frustration by knowing that my education will lead my family and I into a brighter future.

Carissa

Black Hawk College offers quality education for a affordable price. I am able to live at home and still get the instruction that I want -- no need to move to a bigger school.

So, you want to change the world? Take it one step at a time. Explore your options. Talk to the people who know and care about you -- consider their thoughts. Ask questions; always ask questions. Take time to know yourself and really know where you're headed before you sign up. Once you're sure which direction you want; plunge in -- all in. Do your full part in classes. Aim to learn all you can. Ask questions; always ask questions. Work so that you will be proud on graduation day wearing that cap and gown. Enjoy what you're learning! Take time to relax and reflect. Don't ever let someone tell you that what you want is impossible. So, you want to change the world? Go ahead!

I love the ADN nursing program and the instructors. I feel like they really care about my learning experience.

Jessie

I would tell myself that you need to check all your options before just deciding what school you like best. Don't just go somewhere because you like the union center better or because there are more stores around there. Think about the education you will receive and what is more important. I also would tell myself that it's not as scary as it seems. There are many people out there to help you if you just take advantage of them.

The worst thing about the school I currently attend is that all of the students are commuter students. It's harder to make friends and get close to people when you're not living right next to each other like in dorms at a regular university.

A person who is really interested in becoming involved in their school should probably not attend here. It does have activities and organizations to be involved in, but when you have to draw every day to school it's hard to find time to be apart of all the different things.

Don't be afraid to go to professors for help. It seems awward at first because they are not as available as they were in high school, and you have to go to their offices, but really, they are more than happy to help you with any questions you may have. Also remember: now question is a "stupid" question. Professors will understand if you couldn't grasp a concept in class, and will be sure to clarify the information for you.

The worst thing abot my school is thats since it is a community college; it is open admissions, and therefore has few students who really care about their education. Although I cannot say this is true for everyone; it is difficult feeling like the only one who cares about their grades. Being a student who graduated in the top 10% of the senior class, I get frustrated with the lack of enthusiasm from other students.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of extracurricular activities. Few clubs and organizations exist at small community colleges, so it is very hard to get involved and meet new people. Sure we have maybe five clubs, but compared to larger universities who have hundreds, this is pathetic.

Black Hawk College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.