Spearfish, SD
Black Hills State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Black Hills State University

Black Hills StateUniversity is a great school for anyone wanting a great education in a safe environment.

My best advice for a high school student considering college is to not stress out. Chose a school that best suits you and offers everything you want out of your college experience. Remember to have fun but to not let the fun get in the way of your school work. Stay focused and you will become very successful.

I love the size of BHSU, its not so huge that its scary its just big enough to make you feel welcome. The professors and students here are very helpful whenever you come across a question or problem. I love how accomidating they are to my needs. I don't attend on the main campus up in Spearfish, I attend the classes they offer in Rapid City. Which is perfect for me because I live in the area and was able to add school into my life without having to completely change where I lived and worked to attend school.

Teila

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that I needed to keep doing what I was doing academically. I should really try a little harder on my ACT and SAT's, they will help me in the future. I would also tell myself that I should try to concentrate more on applying for colleges and the scholarships I qualify for. I qualify for more scholarships than I realize just get online and look up all the information. Going to college is not easy make sure you do not commit to a full time job before you start your classes, its not easy to keep up on both. Have college your full priority and make sure you are ready for the commitment, you are ready just stay focused.

The type of person I feel should attend this school are people that really want to better themselves. I think that if the student is serious about their education and wants to earn a degree in the fields Black Hills State offers then they should come earn the degree they dream of. I think that a person that does come to this school needs to be dedicated about their academics.

Honestly I can not say that there is a kind of person that should not attend this school. I feel every one deserves a chance to go to school to better themselves. However, I feel that people who are only interested in partying drinking and drugs should be reconsidered in the school. I also feel that depending upon the felony you have committed there should be restrictions as well. Ultimatley I feel everyone deserves a chance to eucate themselves for a better lifestyle.

Naomi

Black Hills State is a warm and enviting campus in a beautiful, small town with a great view of the hills but the school itself still needs work on the curriculum and price.

I would tell myself to take a chemistry class for sure. Also, I'd tell myself to shadow people and figure out what interests me and get more involved in my learning.

The class load and the price along with this being a suitcase campus are the worst things about this school. The teachers have just begun to pile on a lot more than they used to. I believe that this school is overpriced and not very flexible on meal plans and other areas. The campus seems like a ghost town on some weekends, most people go home and live nearby.

Brittney

Don't pretend you don't need a planer you will. Also fill out your FAFSA on time. Don't be hard on yourself, you will make friends it will just take some time. The best friends you can make are upperclassmen and some dorm mates, not your RA.

Education majors the program here is excellent.

The smoking policy is not enforced. Also BHSU is trying to go Green, however the school has no recycling program.

Cassandra

Black Hills State has provided me with opportunities I could have never imagined, this is the best school in the area!

My classmates are intelligent, fun, and wonderful people to spend time with.

College is the best life path you can take. Sometimes it is overwhelming and scary but you can do this. Entering college is not an easy process. You will have to work harder than you have your entire life. Most of the work will be up to you and help is not the same that you recieved in high school. Help is available but you have to work for it. You have to make it happen. Parents are not always there to lead you. Now it is up to you to make your goals happen. Apply yourself to every scholarship essay, every application will bring you closer to your goals. Study at any opportunity. Grade point average is essential in college. If you choose not to, you could end up paying for it, literally. The worse your GPA is the less help you could recieve for the next semester. Attitude is everything. Something as simple as a smile could make the diffence between an aquaintance and a best friend. Step outside of your comfort zone and do things that you wouldn't do normally. College is an amazing experience that will propel you into the life of your dreams.

Jess

There is a lot of teachers and art majors here! But there is a diversity among the students so that not EVERYONE is the same!

Go to class, it makes a world of difference! Take good notes and if you need help don't be afraid to ask for it, the professors are there to help you learn! Don't be shy, make a lot of friends. Don't be afraid to be yourself, the people at BHSU are very warm and accepting. They get to know the person for who they are and not just the look of the person. Do you homework that night and take your quizzes as soon as you can. Most of all HAVE FUN! You are only a freshman in college once!

I like the small campus and that the professors really get to know their students. The people are friendly and the community is very involved in the college.

David

Really learn the pros and cons of going to college. Do a compair contract with all the colleges and think of the entire campus as a "home", because for the next 9 months you'll be living there. Once you figure out what college you want, and you get accepted, take it all in. Hang out with people, make new friends, do some activites on campus, hit the gym, meet as many people in your dorm as possible and try to make friends in your classes. I can't say this enough... just BE INVLOVED. You are sinking thousands of dollars into this place, might as well have the most fun as you can. While having fun, don't forget to study. Granted the first year might feel like high school, but this is college. You no longer have a daily grade or participation grades anymore, but you have three tests... and that is it for some classes. Play hard but study as hard. Your studying for a future career... why not become the best you can be in it by doing your best in class?

The way the campus makes it feel like a community. It seems like everyone gets along with everyone. You could be at the library studying and a random guy or girl might strike up a convorstation. Or you could be hanging at the Union and someone will challenge you to a friendly game of fooseball or ping-pong. But, while you get to make new friends, there are a ton of people on campus so there are always more people to make friends with.

All the construction on campus. My freshmen year they had to shutdown the fast food place and half of the student union so they could expand it (should be done by the fall 2009). And once they are done with the expansion of the Union, they are going to start working on a new science lab. However, the lab will be not in the center of the campus like the Union was, but I'm sure it will take up a part of the parking lot.

In my opinion my school is known for small town kids. It seems like if you grew up around Spearfish you came to that school...

Choosing the right college is an important decision students and parents need to make. My advice would be to give yourself enough time. You should never rush into picking a college. When deciding on a certain school, visit and explore what they have to offer. Another factor to consider is how far away is it from home. If you don't think you can be that far from home than reconsider because the last thing you want is to not be able to focus on school because you are home sick. After you have choosen the school of your choice you want to make sure you make the most of it. You have to remember that everyone is new and is afraid to meet new friends. Your not the only one nervous about being a freshman is school. Meet new friends and join on campus activities. It is a great way to meet new people and make memories.

The best thing about Black Hills State Univeristy is the size of the school. I grew up in a small town so it was nice going to a smaller univerisity.

sam

A little bit of a mix running from drooling neanderthals to a few very bright individuals.

This school is very outdoor oriented. If you have an interest in anything involving hiking, scenery, camping, hunting, etc. this is the place.

Do precisely what you want is the single most important thing to look at. If you are pressured into going into a field of study that you don't care for you'll do badly and want to become a homicidal maniac.

Black Hills State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.