Spearfish, SD
Black Hills State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Black Hills State University

Kami

Dear Student, As an active member of Black Hills State University community, I would like to offer some advice on choosing the right college for You and how to make it Your Home. When it comes to choosing a college, I would like to advise that you do not pick a college solely based on the fact that your friends or family want you to go there. Choose a college that reflects You and Your passions. Research as much as you can about potential colleges and when you've become partial to a select few, go for a visit! From personal experience, I can tell you that just a single campus tour can change your mind. Now that you have chosen the best college for You, I would like to give some advice on how to now make it a Home. Remember that you decided to choose this college because it will give you the Best Education in pursuing Your Dreams. Enjoy it and take advantage of this extreme education! Next, I highly encourage getting involved on campus. It helps you create everlasting relationships and gives you a reason to say, "I Matter!" With all my best, A Helping Hand

I wish I had known how windy it can get there! There's nothing more annoying to me than when it's snowing and the wind is blowing it right up my nose as I'm walking to class. Just kidding! The truth is, I knew everything I needed to before I got there. I knew about all the opportunities it offered me as well as how open, friendly, and helpful everyone (faculty, staff, & students!) was. I knew that I would be earning the best education in the best environment with the best people.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school would be a person that expects to skip their classes and still pass; a person who thinks that college is just about partying. Most of all, the kind of person that shouldn't attend this University would be someone who doesn't expect to have their life transformed while engaging in an unforgettable and incredible campus experience alongside the gain of the remarkable knowledge given to help pursue their life's dream.

Black Hills State University is an excellent school with a student to faculty ratio that facilitates a learning environment desirable for all students, and it is located in the Northern Black Hills where there are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy.

When deciding what college to attend many considerations need to be made. The most important questions to ask yourself are: What makes you happy?, What are my educational goals?, and What are my social goals?. While asking yourself these questions, make a list of your hopefully numerous answers. The next step is to research what different colleges have to offer you as well as the surrounding area. If you are an outdoors person, do not go somewhere where there are few outdoor opportunities, and if you are shopper, do not go to a rural area. Also make sure that the college you choose has majors available that interest you, so that if you decide to switch your major you do not have to transfer.

I was able to get an internship for the entire summer that allowed me to practice career skills, and confirmed my desicion to pursue grad school.

Shayna

College is a great time of your life. I don't regret a moment of my time in college. There are some things both students and parents need to consider. How far is the distance needed to travel? What are the fees for in-state or out-of-state tuition? Are the professors and advisors helpful and resourceful? Also, when you decide to move off campus, students should consider how much they are going to spend for rent and groceries and so forth? Also, make sure to check your scholarships and make sure that you are meeting requirements and maintain the GPA required by them. While college is essentially school, its also a great way to have fun. Remember that while you are cramming and studying, you need to get out and have fun. Check out local attractions and tourist sites, local restaurants and popular hangout sites. College is such a fantastic opportunity and you should make the most of it. I don't regret a moment of the 3 and half years I have spent here and I have met great lifelong friends. Just remember to have fun and deadlines, and you will be just fine.

I really wish I would have better considered the time and travel required to go home for holidays and vacation. Also, I wish I had known the cost of living off campus in Spearfish was so high. It is really expensive to live off campus.

If you are an extremely liberal, BHSU is not really for you. There are those who share your same political views, but students on BHSU are more Republican and conservative.

Mindy

The only thing that I can say is that any one who is trying to find the right college and making the most of it. In that they should go base on degree they want and how they feel when they visit the college.

The best thing about my school is the beauty that surrounds the school which is the Black Hills and the social life in the dorms are the two best things at BHSU. This cause the natural beauty of the hills brings the students together and makes every student feel very happy. The dorms are very social as in the way we all hang out in the lobby.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that some teachers can not teacher the subject that they are teaching very well. This is because they think they know it but it seems like they do not and that frustrates me.

Nicholas

Diversity in ages and some racial and ethnic diversity.

Diversity in ages and some racial and ethnic diversity.

Determine what you want to do and find a school that has been training people in that field for a long time. You will benefit from the expertise accumulated.

Perception of the people in the area, that because it's local it's not as good of a school.

Melinda

Eager, reliable, fun, outgoing and smart as hell.

Eager, reliable, fun, outgoing and smart as hell.

Great outdoor space with friendly, dedicated instructors who truly care about the outcome of their students.

Take the time to find a college where the student feels they can truly be themselves. Finding a college that offers courses in every or almost every subject that your student enjoys is definitely worth the search. When you do find that special college, be sure to be yourself and reach out to others who will make you feel like you are becoming your own. Feel free to find your passion and don't be afraid to pursue it. It is definitely worth it in the long run.

Erika

Make sure that your child is ready and willing to go to school. You will waste your money and his/her time if the student isn't mentally prepared/ready for what college is really about. College is not for partying, it is for learning, and many freshman get very excited about being away from home for their first time and go a bit wild, just make sure your child is dedicated to their school work.

I believe that anyone that attends Black Hills State will be treated with dignity and respect. We are so culture deprived that we welcome those who are different than ourselves with open arms.

The administration and the Board of Regents. Their rules and regulations where made without regards to exeptions for students with disabilities and non-traditional students.

Baylee

to all the parents I say this, your child is now an adult do not try to sway their desision in major or school to attend. they no what is going to make them most happy. Students, stay calm, everything will be fine. You will know in your gut what is the right place and major when u need to.

That my cross country coach was having so much trouble at home. I think that he really took away from the team. He is selfish. Other coachs that were interested in me told me about his rep for taking good athletes and helping them to disappear after one year.

I think that the college could be doing so much more for the students . They are very unhelpful and always blame mistakes on other parts of the campus.

Danielle

My school is best known for educating those who wish to be teachers.

My school is best known for educating those who wish to be teachers.

There are many different career opportunities the world has to offer, choosing where you attend college would have a lot to do with what you would like to do. For instance, an individual who would like to go into a field of engineering would not attend a school that mainly educates teachers. Part of the college experience is meeting new people and stepping outside your comfort zone to create friendships, so don't choose a place just because a friend will be there. The weather can play a large role when it comes to deciding whether of not you want to go to class. So if the cold weather stops you from going to class, a warmer place might be the answer. The size of the campus can also be the reason to choose a campus, for someone who is overwhelemd easily a smaller campus would be more suitable. Someone who likes adventure and larger busier places, a larger campus may suit them better. There are many factors that will be the make or break point in choosing where to continue your education, these are only a few of the many.

The kind of person who should not attend this school is someone who does not like small towns, or schools. Black Hills State University has a nice student to teacher ratio and it is a good size, and students will not become overwhelmed.

Black Hills State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.