Black Hills State University

« See more reviews of Black Hills State University

When life throws you lemons make lemonade. In high school you excelled academically but you will have a harder time in college, due to unforeseen circumstances and real life situations with work, family, finances and friends. In high school you are more removed from these real world problems and it is easier to focus on your studies. That will not be the case in college. Overcome your introverted ways and SPEAK to your professors. They're not as intimidating as they seem 1 on 1. It is very important for your future education and graduate school to develop long standing relationships with your college professors. Utilize studying in groups and test reviews put on by the professors, they are irreplaceable. Have fun, but not too much fun. There will always be time for socializing but school should be your number one priority and "everybody is doing it" is NOT an excuse. Enjoy college while it lasts. You will look back on it as one of your fondest memories and establish life long friendships. Even though you are tired of studying and four years seems like an eternity... it is over in the blink of an eye.

If I could advise myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to start my search early. I would start by searching for colleges that offer the degree I would want to achieve. I would then narrow my search down to location where I would want to go. After that I would submit my applications to any and all the colleges I would be interested in attending. After getting accepted I would be searching for as many possible scholarships, grants, and other funds I could possibly use to help with furthering my education. I would like to visit the colleges before orientation. I would advise myself to explore the town as well as the campus. It would be a good idea to check out the statistics for students that graduate from the school versus those who attend the school. Keeping track of dates and deadlines is another key point in the college search. Making sure all deadlines are met will help insure a better experience and a lot less stress. Having a schedule of when things are due and when I am able to complete this tasks would have made finding the right college for me much easier.

Dear Student, As an active member of Black Hills State University community, I would like to offer some advice on choosing the right college for You and how to make it Your Home. When it comes to choosing a college, I would like to advise that you do not pick a college solely based on the fact that your friends or family want you to go there. Choose a college that reflects You and Your passions. Research as much as you can about potential colleges and when you've become partial to a select few, go for a visit! From personal experience, I can tell you that just a single campus tour can change your mind. Now that you have chosen the best college for You, I would like to give some advice on how to now make it a Home. Remember that you decided to choose this college because it will give you the Best Education in pursuing Your Dreams. Enjoy it and take advantage of this extreme education! Next, I highly encourage getting involved on campus. It helps you create everlasting relationships and gives you a reason to say, "I Matter!" With all my best, A Helping Hand

College is the best life path you can take. Sometimes it is overwhelming and scary but you can do this. Entering college is not an easy process. You will have to work harder than you have your entire life. Most of the work will be up to you and help is not the same that you recieved in high school. Help is available but you have to work for it. You have to make it happen. Parents are not always there to lead you. Now it is up to you to make your goals happen. Apply yourself to every scholarship essay, every application will bring you closer to your goals. Study at any opportunity. Grade point average is essential in college. If you choose not to, you could end up paying for it, literally. The worse your GPA is the less help you could recieve for the next semester. Attitude is everything. Something as simple as a smile could make the diffence between an aquaintance and a best friend. Step outside of your comfort zone and do things that you wouldn't do normally. College is an amazing experience that will propel you into the life of your dreams.

College is a great time of your life. I don't regret a moment of my time in college. There are some things both students and parents need to consider. How far is the distance needed to travel? What are the fees for in-state or out-of-state tuition? Are the professors and advisors helpful and resourceful? Also, when you decide to move off campus, students should consider how much they are going to spend for rent and groceries and so forth? Also, make sure to check your scholarships and make sure that you are meeting requirements and maintain the GPA required by them. While college is essentially school, its also a great way to have fun. Remember that while you are cramming and studying, you need to get out and have fun. Check out local attractions and tourist sites, local restaurants and popular hangout sites. College is such a fantastic opportunity and you should make the most of it. I don't regret a moment of the 3 and half years I have spent here and I have met great lifelong friends. Just remember to have fun and deadlines, and you will be just fine.

There are many different career opportunities the world has to offer, choosing where you attend college would have a lot to do with what you would like to do. For instance, an individual who would like to go into a field of engineering would not attend a school that mainly educates teachers. Part of the college experience is meeting new people and stepping outside your comfort zone to create friendships, so don't choose a place just because a friend will be there. The weather can play a large role when it comes to deciding whether of not you want to go to class. So if the cold weather stops you from going to class, a warmer place might be the answer. The size of the campus can also be the reason to choose a campus, for someone who is overwhelemd easily a smaller campus would be more suitable. Someone who likes adventure and larger busier places, a larger campus may suit them better. There are many factors that will be the make or break point in choosing where to continue your education, these are only a few of the many.

I have been in college for 2 years now and I have received alot of information from people plus I have learned alot myself. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I'd have alot of insight to give myself. First I would tell myself that making friends should not be my first priority, school should be. High school is alot different from college. In college your classes are first come first serve its not like in high school where they will just put you in a class even if there is no room. You also have to do everything you can to get as much monetary assistance as possible because being in college is not cheap and it is not easy having to come out of pocket to have to pay for your eduaction. With that being said you should not spend all your time partying because if you happen to flunk out of college that's it all your money is gone and you won't be able to go back to that school. That is the best information you can give a high school senior in my opinion.

Being in college for a year, I have gotten more independence. I also know that every semster that I have finished is another step to my carrer goal, which is to become a registered nurse. To me, it has been really valuable to attend collge so that I can make a better future for not only myself, but for my family. My grandparents has been taking care of me since I was 2 years of age. They planned on retireing this year but because I am in college they felt that I need to focus on school and not get a job so they are working to pay for the left over of my tution and books. I am getting my degree to finally take care of them so that they can finally retire. I am also a single mother and I would love to prove to my son that you can still reach your goals even with bumps in the road, like getting pregant at a young age. This scholarship will help pay for the left over of the tution that I have to pay out of pocket and it would cover my book expenses for two semesters.

Really learn the pros and cons of going to college. Do a compair contract with all the colleges and think of the entire campus as a "home", because for the next 9 months you'll be living there. Once you figure out what college you want, and you get accepted, take it all in. Hang out with people, make new friends, do some activites on campus, hit the gym, meet as many people in your dorm as possible and try to make friends in your classes. I can't say this enough... just BE INVLOVED. You are sinking thousands of dollars into this place, might as well have the most fun as you can. While having fun, don't forget to study. Granted the first year might feel like high school, but this is college. You no longer have a daily grade or participation grades anymore, but you have three tests... and that is it for some classes. Play hard but study as hard. Your studying for a future career... why not become the best you can be in it by doing your best in class?

If I could go back to my last year of high school and give myself advice I would have to say, “Do not worry so much!” I was very scared to make the transition from high school to college. I was doing everything I could to be as prepared as possible from getting outstanding grades to applying for scholarships to attending many college orientations. Many of my high school teachers seemed to make me a little fearful of the switch. They would say, “Those are the grades that really matter.” and “You need to be completely focused on studying because many events will want to pull you away.” I should have known to trust myself a little more. I have always been very anal about my grades and any work that I turn in. In addition, for the most part I am very focused on studying and put that before my job and my fun time. I think of school as if it is my future because that is what school is really all about.