Bluffton University Top Questions

Corey

I would tell myself to go to one of the schools closer to my home so that I could stay living at home and working. This would have kept me out of debt while I got my degree and I could have worked two jobs over the summer and not be stuck worrying about money the way I do now.

Dallas

Advice I would give to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college would be to not worry about the little things. Throughout my senior year I was always worrying about the little things like friends and high school drama. I was so caught up in all of these things that it really took away from my academics my senior year. I would say to let everything go and study to succeed to earn scholarships. Now that I am in college I wish I would have worked harder in high school to maintain good grades and scholarships to help my tuition. I now realize that academics always come first and drama does not matter the slightest bit.

Karla

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior-I would tell myself to relax about picking a school. I was so worried and anxious to pick the “right school”. I was worried that if I didn’t pick the right school I would hate college. On top of that many of my friends had picked their college to go to by the start of their senior year and while I had visited a couple colleges as a junior, I was still unsure of where to go. In fact, Bluffton University was the last school I visited and auditioned at in March of my senior year. By this point, I was freaking out about picking a school. If I could go back, I would tell myself to enjoy visiting colleges and to stop worrying about picking the “right college”. When you visit the school you are meant to attend, you will know. It may not be the school you imagined you would be attending when you started the application process, but it will be the right school.

Cailey

I would definitely tell myself to look for more scholarships and to base my decisions on myself rather than family, boyfriend, etc.

Greg

Don't get caught up in the whirlwind of pressure. Focus on enjoying your remaining time in high school with your friends but do not lose sight of what is in your future. Everyone around you is there to help you and they want to see you succeed; make sure you take advantage of the knowledge they have to share with you. While it might seem like you need to conquer this task on your own, trust your family and your teachers, they only want to help you reach your full potential and while you may think you can achieve it on your own, the possibilities are endless with the help that they can afford you.

John

Dude! You need to listen, I don't have much time. I am you, almost 10 years in the future! I am here to give you some advice on the future. First of all, you need to stop playing video games so much. Yeah, they're fun and all, but you have other stuff that is more important to do. You need to budget your time more wisely. There is so much you need to do and not much time to do it. Learn how to organize more effectively, for real. And for goodness sakes, lean how to study! I know you never needed to. I know you got good grades without studying, but you need to learn how. And grow up. You're pretty independant right now, but it's a whole other world when you get to college. Start learning how to be your own man. Listen, I have to get back, so that's about it. But I hope you listen. It will save you so much trouble and heartache! College is pretty tough, but fun if you listen to me. Last thing: break up with her, it doesn't work out, trust me!

Barber

If I were able to travel back in time to speak with myself as a high school senior I would have alot to say. I would tell myself that education in the world as an adult is vital and extremely important to be able to thrive and survive. I would tell myself to consider not taking time off of school and enroll full time as a student because I was still living with my parents. When you become an adult and you have no education to create a career path you struggle in a world that demands effort in school. I would be very stern expressing about reaching for my goals so I wouldn't be in the financial situation I am now. I would tell myself that I am intelligent and I deserve the oppurtunity to thrive and be able to sharpen my skills for the career force. These simple words of encouragement is what I should have listened to from my parents and peers.

Jump right in. When you get to school, join clubs and meet as many people as you can. You will love it at school and college is going to be a great experience, so get started early.

Chelse

Always be open-minded--to new topics, new ideas, and new people. With this in mind, though, remember that your future is just that--your's. You will regret working at a program that you do not want to do but others might want you to pursue. Ask yourself, "Why is there where you want to be?" If you cannot come up with more than a paragraph on that topic: there is a problem! Do not look into careers for potential earnings, but look for careers that you will be happy in doing. Find something you are good at, and then find a way to use it in order to help those around you. Attending a small university may seem like it does not offer the same opportunities a larger campus might, however, it will prove to offer so many other opportunities that you will regret not experiencing. Go with your heart, but always stay open to those around you.

Jordan

The transition to college wasn't too difficult; just let things go as they would. The community college is very similar to the high school, but with weirder schedules. One thing that you would need to get used to would be longer days as you will be spending about twelve hours there four days a week. Make sure to look harder for scholarships because they will be very helpful in the future. Finally, try to apply for that math tutor position at the beginning of your first semester instead of waiting until your second. A little extra experience is always a good thing. You could even start by offering services to students at your current school, but mostly as practice though.

I would tell myself to choose exactly the same thing as I have already done. My original plan was to go to a big four-year university right out of high school, but I ended up staying local to attend Central Texas College. It was a good choice. Not only was the tuition affordable, but I was able to discover the path I wanted to take toward my future. I was also able to take the opportunity to become an assistant manager, which wouldn't have happened if I had moved. However, I would tell myself not to worry so much - things will work out - and to maybe start working on scholarships a little sooner. I know life is crazy with full-time work and school, but priorities need to be set.

Spencer

Never give up and if you do the best you can, you will suceed in life and your career.

Alicia

Dear Alicia, I cant express how important it is to go to college right after you graduate high school. The more time you spend away from school, the harder it is to remember what you have already learned. You are a smart, artistic, and hard working individual. The heights you can obtain by starting off early! College can be stressfull, but there are plenty of resources that are there to help you at what ever you may need. Flash cards are key! They will ensure you get great test scores. Prioritize your time well, school comes first. Always expect two hours of study time per one hour of class time. So if you have a two and a half hour class you should study 5 hours for that class. Remember that you are your own creator and you can do anything you set your mind to! Future Self

Taylor

If I could do anything to help transition into a college student i would learn the proper ways to study. I knew how to study in high school but it was only enough to get me by. In college you are expected to take studying to a whole different level it seems. I would make myself study an hour for each subject at night if I could do it over again. I would also take studying more serious and read my books because college professors expect you to know everything from books to simple notes they say in class.

Jaime

My college experience is something I will never forget. I have gotten so much out of my college experience that will help me in my future career. I have learned so much about myself and I truely believe that it is things that I would not have learned at other colleges/universities. I have learned to believe in myself and have confidence in myself. I have learned how to stick up for myself, do what I believe in and make my own choices. I have really came out of my shell here at Bluffton University and that is because I know I have people around me that will support me in what I do. It has been valuable to attend here because I really have seen myself become a well-rounded young women with dreams that can be reached. Bluffton University has really helped me become who I am today and I would not trade it for anything.

Chelsea

I have gotten a whole new look at the world I live in. College has opened my eyes to new people and new ways of thinking. By attending college i have met people from all over the world. These people have taught me that I am not the only person in this world, and that if we want to make a difference in this world then we need to listen to other people. Other people have different ways of thinking and the best way to change the world is by listening to those people. By attending college, I believe that I will have the oppurtunity to become an FBI special agent, which means I will have the chance to save someone's life. That has always been my dream and by going to college I can finally reach that goal.

Erma

My college experience gave me understanding . I started as a child and young student and graduated a young adult women with responsibilitied that lead me to become a leader in todays society. Being a college student directed me to become a lifelong learner. College instilled in me that learning in never ending in life. Attending college help shape my desire to conteniou to grow and become an asset to for my family. Being the first in my family to attend college was a leap of faith for me. Being part of this transition gives me the know how to encourge others to attend and filled their dreams and goals.

If I could go back in time to give advice to my high school self, I would give a few words of encouragement. When in high school, it's hard to look ahead to college instead of living in the moment of classes, friends, and sports. I would give the advice to always work hard and put your best effort forward. Grades really do matter and maintaining a healthy work ethic while in high school will definitely be beneficial during the college years. If good time management skills can be achieved during those four years of high school, then college will be a much easier adjustment.

William

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to get into study habits now so when I get to college I do not ave to start building those college habits and trying to manage my time effectively at the same time. Also I would tell myself to learn to draw the line between how much time I spend having fun with friends and how much time I spend studying or doing homework. Not knowing when to draw the line is not a good thing to have to learn on top of all the homework you get while in college, especially when you have a job on campus. While college is a time where you make friends for life it is also a time where you need to be focused on academics in order to succeed. The last thing I would tell myself is to stay in touch with family but do not go home every weekend you can. You will miss a lot of fun activities and making memories with friends. This is what I would tell myself if I could go back in time to talk to myself about college life and making the transition.

Brooke

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school student, I would give myself some peices of advice. The first thing I would talk about is to tell myself to take as many post secondary options as possible. I know some students that took advantage of those opportunities, and now they are very successful as students and are taking less credit, when essentially means spending less money. I would also tell myself to push through and get as many scolarships as possible. I wish that I would have applied for way more scholarships than I did. I believe that I could have applied myself more to these and that would have helped my a lot financially.

Diedra

After being through 2.5 years of college courses, I would go back in time and tell myself that I need to become more dedicated to the classes in high school that didn't interest me because I know that even though I won't be majoring in that subject in college, that the information will still help me through the general education courses. I would have told myself to be more driven to focus on scholarships and to have filled more out. Possibly worked more than what I did. As well as spent more time with my friends than I did. But overall, I would mainly tell myself to be less stressed than I was. I would have worked harder than I did for cross country and right after basketball season, I would have had surgery instead of waiting. I would tell myself to just relax every once in a while and do more things for myself rather than just constantly doing things for other people. Because after all, you need to do things for yourself every once in a while. If you aren't happy with yourself, then you can't be happy with anyone else.

If I could go back to when I was a senior I would tell myself that every penny I have will count and to hold onto whatever money I could get. I would talk to myself about applying for financial aid early because know its a real struggle for me. I would inform myself that I need to keep an open mind, college prepares you for the interaction of the real world. In the end I would tell myself, don't freak out and get overwhelmed, college is very helpful and opens you up to be less shy and meet new people but you have to be more focused on the future instead of the now. I would inform myself that this college I am attending is very helpful, don't be doubtful because its in a small town because it helps you focus more on school and less on the outside world dramas. Thats what I would tell my past self, the future is knowledge we are to gain and the past we learn from, I learned my lesson on waiting and I would inform people of this knowledge.

Melissa

Do not be afraid to get involved and to talk to the other students. When having trouble with assignments, talk to the professors. They are usually happy to help you figure things out or to set you up with a tutor. Actually make a weekly schedule that includes study time and free time. THis will make life less stressful and insure your work always gets done.

Charles

I would of worked harder as a high school senior, I probally would of taken a little bit harder classes my senior year, maybe a harder math class. I would tell my self that this year was important. More important than I thought it was back then. Your grades and GPA matters and you can get more academic money for college with a higher GPA. I would of been more serious and more focused. But I just had a lot of decions to make and sometimes it seemed very overwhelming. But in the end it all worked out. But when I get out of college I will have alot of debt. So alittle bit of scholarship money would be nice. I am working hard and enjoy what I am studying and can't wait to be out in the real world someday teaching kids. Thank you

Katy

The advice I would give myself would be to relax and stay focused. Going to college will not be that bad of a transition.

Lydia

Senior year is not a time to goof off, but it's also good to enjoy that last year of high school. In college, you really have to focus and know how to study, so learn those skills before you get there. Also, if you don't really know what you want to do for a profession, just pick the college that fits you the best and go in undecided. Once you take some classes, you'll figure out the direction that you want to go, and I guarantee that there will be people that can help you get there.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to better prepare for college and stay focused more. I would also tell myself to think more carefully about what I wanted to get out of college whether it be the social perspective or academic perspective or a little of both. As a senior in high school, most just want to grow up and get out of high school without thinking about how different college life is going to be. I would have recommended to myself to take more post secondary courses to help get used to how college classes and dealing with the workload would be.

Megan

I would have told myself not to procrastinate on my homework. You never know what will happen, so keep on top of things. If I'd known that when I started, I would have had a lot easier of a time catching up after my mom died. I would tell myself to talk to more upperclassmen, because they are not some scary alien race, but helpful people who want to see you succeed. I would have told my self that professors are not annoyed when you ask them questions, but glad that you are interested in their subject. But most of all, I would have told myself to not doubt my intelligence. I would have told myself that I am an intelligent, capable student who can take anything that is thrown at me, wether that is a 15-page paper or a 10 minute speech.

Brian

make a list of the pros and cons and weigh out all of the possibilities and find the one that you feel like you fit the most and the one that you feel like you could be confortable living there. meet alot of people on a visit to get a feel for the student body.

There is a lot of advice I would give to parents and students about finding the right college and making the most of the college experience. First of all, visit several campuses. Do not just visit one and settle for it. Visit several, and you will know which one is right for you the moment you step foot on campus. Also, look for a college that has your degree and shows good job outcomes after college. Another thing one should do is to stay on campus. At Bluffton, we have a senior-only overnight program. This is where seniors in high school come and stay the night with students who live on campus. They get to experience the college life for the night, and attend some classes the next day. It is a lot of fun, and the seniors get a feel for what college is like and what the classes and expectations are at the school. Follow your heart, and know that no school is out of your reach. Apply for several schools, as well as visit several. Finally, decide what kind of school you want: small, big, far from home or close. Good luck!

Laura

Finding the right college isn't often as daunting as it can seem at first. Find out information about that school's programs, the majors that it offers and the possibilities that exist within those programs of study to expand your horizons further (study abroad, internships, etc). Look for the things that you think will interest you the most, not only in your major (which will often change!) but within the school as a whole, such as extracurricular activities, activities within the community, and other opportunities to expand beyond just the world of your college life. My most important advice? VISIT if you can! When I walked on campuses, I often felt right away whether or not that was a place I wanted to attend. I don't know how to explain it to you, but it's true! As far as making the most of your college experience, LIVE each day! Don't get bogged down by little things, don't get wrapped up in complaining about lack of food choices, homework, etc. Trust me, as a senior I know that this time in your life will FLY by! Work hard, but don't forget to ENJOY life too!!

Ryan

Picking the right college is one of the toughest decisions to make in life. With my experiences I have learned that sometimes you may think you know what you want from a school, but the school that is right for you can be totally different than you expected. Bluffton University was not at all my first choice, I attended it because of financial reasons, but I quickly realized how right it was for me! If your having a tough time with your decision, don't stress out about it. I believe that a good school depends on the friends you make. Sure the quality of your education is important, but if you don't find a "family" away from home then your experiences won't be as good as they can be!

Megan

Choosing the right college is a challenging and difficult decision. There are many options and it is critical to do a few things before diving into a school's curriculum and campus activities for the next four years. For me, it was most important to find a place where I belonged, do this by visiting campus, multiple times if need be, meet with professors and stay with students overnight. Most schools have a campus visit coordinator and they can set you up on an overnight stay and it is crucial to utilize these programs. One other thing I also recommend is, go with your gut. When it's the right fit, you will know. Bluffton was not my first choice but the second I stepped on campus and looked around, I knew that was where I wanted to spend the next four years. So if you feel comfortable and can see ways to get involved and they have the program you are looking for, go for it. Getting involved is the best way to meet people and make the most of the experience, so make sure you have a handle on that at visitation time!

Rebecca

You have to, HAVE TO visit a campus in order to know what it will feel like. If there are things about the campus or college that you do not like, do not dismiss those feelings, maybe it is not the right place. Make sure you feel comfortable with where you or your child is going. Also it's important to know that you will be able to do what you want to do, and take the classes you want/need to take. Visiting colleges is a lot of fun and are great experiences, the right college will jump at you and make you feel welcome.

Landon

Have a good time, study hard, make lots of friends and make the most of every day because college goes to fast. Before you know it you will have to get a real job. Take advantage of every service the college offers because theya are there to help you succeed.

Hannah

When looking for a college, it is important to sit down and decide what you want your college experience to consist of and what you are passionate about. If you want a school with strong athletics and 2,000 classes to choose from, start looking at large state schools. If you want a small community with more personal opportunities, look at the smaller schools in the area. Once you have made this decision, college visits are so important. There is something about stepping on campus and viewing the place you will live for the next 4 years that really opens your eyes to somewhere you would like to go. Once you choose that college, GET INVOLVED. Whether it be in a club, organization, or sports team, find something you like to do and start doing it. By taking this step, you will get to know those around you and build your our group of friends.

Matthew

When looking for and selecting the college you will attend, take your time. It is more expensive if you change universities while you are working toward your degree. Second, look at all aspects of the college - religious, social, proximity to home, and costs. Do not get in over your head. So colleges cost more than what you expected and once you have started it is hard to continue because of the expense.

Jason

When looking for a college begin early and look at colleges that you could imagine yourself being apart of. Also do not be afraid to look at colleges that are in another state because often times at these colleges is where one makes the closest friends and allows for the "out of stater" to begin having "adult" responsibilities. Once you find that college that feels good to you, get involved. Look at different organizations that sound interesting like student activities boards, being involved makes it easier to build friendships and allows you to get more connected with others on campus. Use college as a time to start over. No one knows about what you have done in the past, this is your chance to start anew, take advantage of it. Value the education you get at college, do not waste it. Learn from those whose opinions differ from yours, but do not allow your values to be easily compromised. Finally, take this time to find who you really are inside and allow this time to search for your calling or vocation.

Laura

look at alot of schools pick the one that suits you best

Andrea

Students should know that every college experience is difficult at first- the purpose of College or University education is to challenge and prepare students to be responsible, knowledgable, active members of society. Students should know that college, along with most things io creating the habits and lifestyle practices that will define who you are later... so make good choices.

Dawn

Stay focused, be disciplined and enjoy. It goes fast.

Ashlee

n/a