Bob Jones University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Bob Jones University

Candace

I think overall it is an extraordinary school. They do a lot to get involved in the students' lives and are always available to interact and meet up with us. Bob Jones gives you so many opportunities to connect not only with other students and teachers, but they give you opportunities to connect with your community and people in your career centered field. They want their student's to succeed and make a difference in their society once they graduate college. The teachers are amazing and are personal with you not distant and if you seek help and advice you are always going to receive it. The school is a great family oriented group while educating their students with high standards of education and development.

Arianna

I love the direction Bob Jones is heading; the changes they are making I believe are the right ones, while still keeping a standard of excellence. The president, Steve Petit, is a man I greatly respect and admire. Bob Jones unapologetically offers truth, while still teaching students how to think critically.

Alondra

Every time the president talks about the academics, most of the time the word rigorous is involved. I am a science major. There is a reason why their pre-med program is so successful. The science department is phenomenal. They teach you how to think, and why to think the way you do.

Gabrielle

Bob Jones University is a wonderful college right near the beautiful downtown of Greenville South Carolina. There are many opportunities to participate in sports and even in theater. Every student is required to join a society, and is pushed to get involved in even society sports. Even though the food isn't exactly the greatest, as a residence student you get unlimited breakfast, lunch, and dinner, which is nice when your a college student (plus you don't have to worry about gaining the "Freshman fifteen, LOL). The dorms are super clean and comfortable, they aren't the largest but they are super nice, the residence hall even contain large and comfortable basements, with tons of rooms to practice you instrument, study, or even lounge. The students and faculty are loving and willing to help you when you have needs. Bob Jones contains a great Christian evironment and a great place to be. Beautiful campus, beautiful environment, and beautiful atmosphere.

Aaron

I'd say the school is very excellent overall. The attention most of the faculty have towards students is incredible. They really are willing to sit down with you and answer your questions or give you advice about something. The curriculum is excellent and very academically excellent. Student life is enjoyable, but definitely not based in parties. Students learn how to have fun free of alcohol and drugs. The student body as a whole is very caring and kind to each other​ to the extent that it feels like family.

Rebekah

I would encourage anyone to go to Bob Jones University. The professors take their time to engage one-on-one with students outside of campus, the staff is friendly and often appreciated, and the students are fully involved with campus life, classes, and each other. I have made lasting relationships on campus so far, but I have also learned that sometimes one will find difficult people wherever you go. Sometimes, the counseling can be less than encouraging, however, they do care and desire to be of help whenever they can. Despite this, I am proud to be called a BJU student.

I have benefitted in numerous ways from Bob Jones University and I’m not even halfway done yet. The academics are rigorous but rewarding, and help and support are always available. Many programs provide excellent teacher as well as hands on learning opportunities. The professors are wonderful and more than eager to jump in and help students that come to them. I have received one on one help with several of my professors, and they long to see students succeed. They show a genuine interest in students’ personal lives and are very understanding. They also do as best as they can as far as helping students make and establish connections for internships and jobs. There is not much of a party scene on campus, mostly because it is a Christian college. If you want to be challenged in your faith and grow, Bob Jones is the place for you. If you want to get through some classes and live the typical, wild college life, Bob Jones will disappoint. But for those of us looking to get a good degree supplemented with excellent experience and discipling in the Bible, Bob Jones University is highly valued. It was and still is my number one choice for college. The atmosphere is tangibly loving and familial. I had a rough high school experience and I came to Bob Jones University and found myself finally loving my classes, feeling like I was cared about as a person more than my grades or my ability to follow rules, and being challenged and discipled in a safe and supportive environment.

Bob Jones University is not for everyone. Students are expected to adhere to a significant amount of rules that seem overbearing to most normal 18-22 year olds. Academics at BJU are, in my opinion, merely ok. As a sport management major, I feel hampered by the limited exercise and sport science faculty as well as by the low priority placed on collegiate athletics. I rarely feel challenged to grow my thinking through academics. Overall, if I could choose again, I would go to a larger state university rather than to Bob Jones.

David

BJU is a conservative Christian college, so it is obviously not for everyone. However, those who want what it offers will not be disappointed. It is a friendly school that rounds out every student with a liberal arts education and pushes each one to realize his or her potential. A great school!

Kaitlyn

I spent six years at Bob Jones University, two as a student and two on staff. Obviously, I loved my time spent there. First of all, the education is phenomenal. The classes challenge the entire person, from memorization and analysis to physical application. I had no trouble finding a job after graduation. I had three offers by February (four months before graduation) for jobs as varied as speech teacher, caregiver to the mentally ill, and speech therapist. I chose to teach speech at a high school in Illinois. I created the curriculum, directed three plays, taught private theatre lessons, and coached actors for three separate competitions. In addition, I was accepted into the School of the Art Institute of Chicago's MFA program in Writing for the fall of 2018. I know my acceptance was a result of the fantastic education BJU gave me. The teachers at Bob Jones University not only know their material and teach it well, they also care about the individual student. Every day the teachers would ask after my health and encourage me to sleep and eat regularly. They were the ones who encouraged me to apply for further schooling. I never would have had the courage to apply on my own. They wrote countless recommendation letters for me. They were always available for me to come and ask questions. They make the school the wonderful environment it is. I highly recommend this university to everyone who wants a good education from teachers who truly care.

Madeleine

A great place to receive a quality education. They make you work very hard to do well in your classes. There are many opportunities to be involved in organizations and leadership, you just have to be willing to take the opportunity. BJU has stuck to its fundamental mission even 90 years later.

Marianne

It is a great learning environment, where the faculty and staff really care about the students, and are always available to answer questions. It is also an awesome place to grow in all aspects of life. There are numerous different events to get involved in around campus and in the community, whether it is something like sports, community service, theater, music, or academically there is always something to do.

Alexis

I have found Bob Jones to be a challenging school but I always know that someone will be there for me to cry to, and I have found it to be a place I know I could call home for the next two years. Althought the food is not homey, I have fallen in love with the many people that work in our food service. Every day I walk into the Dinning Common, I am always greeted by name and a smile. For a school that has 5,000 students coming in three times a day, to be called by name is a huge to me. I have found the students body to be well diversed but when it comes to worship, activites, and celebrating our school we are united as one body. I hated the idea of going to a school that was so far from home, Michigan, but I know now that I would never go anywhere else.

Liz

I loved the academics of the school. The professors were always pouring themselves into the students. However, the school had an excessive amount of rules. People would tell me that it was my choice to be there, so I should either submit to the rules or leave. I felt that the school prepared me academically, but not socially. I wasn't allowed to live off campus. When I was a high school dorm student, I wasn't allowed to go to parties of events off campus unless I had a chaperone accompany me. There was such a big emphasis on dating and marriage where I felt like a failure having graduated without a ring on my finger. Even now, 2.5 years after graduation, I still struggle having normal friendships with guys. I developed a constant feeling of guilt because of the rules. I would overhear people complaining about how a girl's skirt is too short or how someone's pants are too tight. To this day, if I step foot on campus wearing blue jeans, I feel a twinge of guilt and feel like everyone is staring. I also came out of school not knowing anything about "normal" American music. When I moved to China, my Asian friends knew more about American pop culture than I did. If you're looking for a conservative school with high academics, this is the place for you.

Benjamin

I believe that this university gives to it students an amazing experience. It provides a challenging academic environment and encourages its students to be the best they can be: academically and socially; inside and outside the classroom. The experience at here shows its student what it means to work hard and to be rewarded. The university also offers multiple ways for its students to get involved both on and off campus in a variety of ways.

Hayden

It has a strong Christian belief and has a well rounded view of the arts, class work, and sports and recreational time. The teachers are here to help and have available office hours and will work one on one with students. Very pleased with the education here.

Grace

I have been a student at Bob Jones for one year and I absolutely love it! Yes, we get tired of food from the Dining Common. And yes, living in a dorm room with two other girls is not ideal. But the education and the love from professors and staff is unbelievable. Professors make time for you and actually care for you as an individual. They sit down and have lunch with you. Definitely a solid option if you are looking for a good liberal arts education.

Eliese

When I was in high school, I did not want to come to Bob Jones. I am so glad I did. I love the faculty and staff, and I have made some amazing friends here. Yes, the rules are a little strict, but it wasn't that bad for me just because my parents were already strict before I came to college. So honestly, I felt like I gained so much freedom. Also, ATTENTION ALL SINGLE PEOPLE! Before I came to college, I thought I was going to die alone. Now, I'm dating my best friend, and it's the best thing in the world. So, if you're feeling how I felt before I came to school, have hope!

Mary

Bob Jones is an amazing school with a ton of opportunities. It offers a variety of programs while expanding your culture. The people there are incredibly gracious and giving. The faculty and professors care about you and are willing to bend over backward to help you.

Amy

Bob Jones University provides an excellent liberal arts education. The frequent, required artistic productions (Artist Series), are very well made and often feature world-famous artists, musicians and actors. The academic quality is also fantastic. The programs are certainly not easy, but if you can make it through a particular major, you will be well prepared for a career in that field. The faculty and staff are just wonderful. They are frequently available to answer questions, and most importantly, they actually care about their students and how they are doing personally, not just academically.

Karissa

BJU is a great university where the Bible is foundational and academic excellence is a priority alongside the students' spiritual lives. Many of the university's rules concerning student life are based on Christian culture from the era in which Bob Jones University was founded, but under the current president, they are reevaluating said rules to better appeal to students from today's culture while still retaining strong biblical values.

Lindsey

The university strives to instill academic and personal excellence in each and every student. The faculty and staff care for each member of the student body physically, mentally, emotionally, academically, and spiritually. BJU is a great place to go if you want a faith-based education and exposure to the arts.

Personally would not recommend this I went there as a middle school students and did not really enjoy it at all no new people ever come to my grade and if you like to cuss or just dont believe in God dont go here if you are made to you will be miserable :(

Laura

Bob Jones is a great college to go to for an education. It has teachers who care, real life application, and a moral core to all the programs. Even the Dining Commons staff is amazing. The people who work there genuinely care. The dorm staff is carefully chosen and they are wonderful to get to know. Overall, Bob Jones University is a great place to seek a profitable education.

Stephen

Balance. Balance is a key word for Bob Jones University. Are you going to get the most elite academic training in America? No. But you will get an excellent education. When it comes to its Christian world view, it endeavors to teach its students the proper Biblical view on how to make a difference in this world and not compromise. It does so without the effect of having students become radicalized about minor Christian issues. It provides a safe environment for students to develop socially without the pressures normally associated with the behavior of this age group. The teachers are appropriate, caring, and prepared. Is the institution perfect? No. But no institution with human beings in it can be. They have made appropriate adjustments throughout their history to address some of their earlier mistakes. The leadership is committed to the overall development of each student.

Abigail

Bob Jones University is committed to helping the students grow in their faith and field. The campus was beautiful and the food was delicious. Many different cultures are represented at BJU. I felt extremely comfortable in the dorms and around the students. I was thoroughly impressed by my visit to BJU.

Oliyshia

It is a conservative, honest, biblical college. The students love the teachers and vise versa. There is care throughout the whole campus. There is respect and willing, helpful people who want to make a difference in their communities. Bob Jones is ministry focused. They take care of those who are in their community and try to provide as much as they can. There is a unity and joy among the student facility.