Chestnut Hill, MA
Boston College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston College

Kaitlin

The majority of my classmates at BC are stuck-up, judgmental, and the type of people who have had everything handed to them their whole lives.

Take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way from the very beginning. While you should prepare for your future career, be sure to enjoy where you are at in this very moment. Don?t get so caught up in succeeding academically that you give up your social life, but don?t have a carefree attitude about academics either. Give 100% in the classroom, but reward yourself. Realize that there will be mean people, and you may have the unfortunate experience of being hurt by them, but there are also nice people. Seek out those nice people, and don?t let yourself be discouraged by those that make you feel left out. It is your school. Be a part of it. Try something new. You might surprise yourself. Don?t be shy. Show people the amazing person that you are and all that you have to offer. Use your talents to make positive contributions to your school community. Take pictures. Laugh. Build strong friendships, but don?t forget to call home every once in a while. Your college experience is what you make it. Make the most of your time. You only have four years, and they will fly by.

Someone who is academically-oriented. Someone who doesn't mind being required to take theology and philosophy courses, as well as other core classes such as science and art. Someone who is capable of performing well academically.

Zachary

The kind of person that wants to be challenged by others and themselves. A person that isn't afraid to question who they think they are and open themselves up to their fears. A person who is looking for more than a party and is ready to work. A person who loves tbe thought of expanding their understanding and wants the best for themselves. A person looking for a strong and protective community spirit, who likes football and drinking on the weekends.

A person who isn't interested in giving back to their community, who seeks the approval of others to fuel their ambitions.

Dear me, "College is about resources. Use them." University success can be defined by the choice between utilizing one's resources and letting them fall to waste. In a community designed for your personal success, the vast wealth of collegiate resources is literally inexhaustible. You have four years to break as much ground as possible. Upon admission, education is no longer about competing with your peers for the best application, but about generating the private objectives that challenge your greatest asset and overcome your greatest obstacle: yourself. Every facet of the university environment is engineered to support the most extensive exploration of self. To be anything but ravenous for personal expansion is fundamentally self-abusive. The fear of that expansion can either fold you or fuel you, though it takes bravery to ask the questions of others and yourself that you don't know the answers to. By avoiding the interpersonal exchange that the college culture uniquely cultivates, you are depriving yourself and others, diluting the fuel. Tapping your resources is the key to enriching your person. It takes a village to raise a child, and a university to build an adult. Digging the foundation, however, comes down to you.

Alicia

Boston College is very uniform and content.

Boston College is very uniform and content.

First and foremost I would advise myself to slow down and take life less seriously. My life changed very much when I entered college, and I would have liked to savor and enjoy my last months of high school a little more. I would also advise myself to open my mind to the new experiences that I would encounter when I transitioned to college. By entering this new chapter in my life with a completley open mind, I feel like I could have taken advantage of more oportunities that were offered to me. At times I was too shy or hesitant to try something new or different than what I knew. I would have liked to have stepped out of my comfort zone more than I did.

The lack of serious dialogue and acceptance regarding race, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status.

Terry

Boston College is the perfect school for someone looking for a great balance between a rigorous academic curriculum and a lively social environment located just outside of the city of Boston.

Boston College is best known for the Carroll School of Management (the business school) but all of its schools are highly respected and well accredited. Students at BC are also noted to be very happy both socially and academically. Boston College has a large sports community as well. The facilities are in excellent and modern conditions and the faculty is remarkable.

I had a hard time letting go of high school so I would advise myself to realize that although college is different because you're not with all your friends, have an open mind because it's an incredible time. Also, be prepared to have to spend a lot more time studying and working on assignments outside of class. There are thousands of opportunities to try new things at school so take advantage of each and every one of them, however keep in mind that academics must come first. In addition, take time to make good friends because developing substantial relationships is important.

First and foremost, Boston College has amazing volunteer groups and other service based organizations on campus. The campus life caters to religious students, but many students are not practicing. The professors at BC are more than helpful and are interested in forming real relationships with their students.

That while Boston College is Roman Catholic (specifically Jesuit), many students are nonpracticing and/or nonreligious at all. This is not a deterrant in any way, but a surprise considering the school's origins and beliefs.

Seize every day. Do not spend senior year dreaming of how wonderful and better college will be, as this will ultimately cause you to miss out on your last year of high school. It will also cause great anxiety when you finally DO arrive at college, because the transition is not instant. If you have built college up and daydreamed of how perfect it will be, you will be so let down at first because those first two weeks are not perfect. Far from it, in fact. Do not rush for friends. Get to know people before you begin declaring yourselves BFFL or committing to long-term housing plans. And while you are making new friends, find the balance with your old ones. Be careful not to neglect old relationships, but do not allow yourself to use them as a crutch.

Kerry

No one has a perfect transition into college. It is a time when you leave your comfort zone and must make a life for yourself. You are not going to be able to replace the friends you made in high school right away when you come to college. College is not about the partying and the hanging out with friends, but it is about the opportunities that you are presented and the type of people that you meet. College is the place where you are shaped to be the best person that you can be which includes being in challenging and uncomfortable situations. All in all, transitioning into college life takes time for everyone. It is not just you who are experiencing a lot of bumps in the road but these bumps are what make you a better and stronger person.

When attending Boston College, there is a very strong core curriculum that you must fulfill. With this you must be open to exploring different fields of study including theology and philosophy. When people have a closed mind about what they want to do they do not get to experience all the greatness that Boston College has to offer. I would deter those students who just want to come and learn the facts because Boston College is really all about an education of the heart, mind, and soul.

Education is not just about the books and the studies but it is about learning who you are and who you want to be. It is about learning how your talents and gifts can benefit the world. So many people go through high school and college memorizing the facts but that is not what life is all about. Life is taking the skills and knowledge you learn and using it in your everyday life. Learning how to be a responsible and active citizen who benefits others - to make the world a better place.

Monicka

For one I would ask myself how come I haven't saved a dime since then. And, all this time I haven't even got my license what is up with that. And, I 've had my permit for over a year and I still haven't stepped into the driver seat. I 'm also upset at myself for choosing San Joaquin Delta College as a place to study Graphic Design couldn't even place a Associate Degree because, they only give certificates out for what I'm majoring for. I also think that I couldn't have picked a worser job to work at then Big-Kmart this is not where I want to be in 5 years. I want to be more than just a cashier working at a General store. I also think that getting a credit card was a bad idea how can I have been so stupid I can't even afford a credit card with what I'm making in a month. I think the most smartest decision I've made these past 2 years is actually putting away money. And, finally working on getting into a nice graphic school.

Alejandro

The best advice would be to think. I feel that before one can make a choice as to which colleges to go, or which ones to apply, it is important to think about what you want and what you expect from college, and which colleges best fulfill these aspirations. Making a decision to apply and attend a university based on its location and supposedly good academics are insufficient factors for deciding on a school, because one may often find that a university does not meet the expectations one has for college. Or a school may not be what you want. Therefore, it is important to know what it is that you want from college, before you make a decisions on where to apply or where to go. By doing so, it saves you from a terrible experience.

The professors are very accessible to the students.

Daniel

Boston College has both a strong academic history as well as a good, Division I athletic program. Attending football, hockey and basketball games is amazing and always a good distraction from my studies. Honestly some of my best memories are from sporting events because they are fun and stress free.

I know that you are worried about making friends and finding a new group to hang out with once you start, but do not lose sleep over it, you will be fine. Most schools will offer many opportunities for incoming freshmen to get together and meet new people. The first opportunity comes before school even starts, orientation. You are forced into a small group with people just as nervous as you, and are bound to connect with someone. Also, once you start school there are often several school-run activities for the first few weekends aimed at the freshmen, to encourage meeting new people. Though these activities can often seem uncool or boring, they are actually quite fun. Also I would suggest enjoying the home cooked meals while you still can. Although every college claims that their food is amazing and delicious, nothing compares to a nice dinner cooked by mom. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, buy your books online before school starts. Any books sold by the college will be at least fifty dollars more expensive than what you can find online. Try to get the ISBN numbers ahead of time and save yourself some money.

The high cost of the school drains my family's finances and puts undue stress on me and my parents. Boston College comes right out and says they will not meet the aid suggested by FAFSA, because they believe every family can provide slightly more. This is not always the case, but it is very difficult to receive any more aid than they initially offer.

Angela

We are best known for our Football team and for being highly rated as one of the best colleges in the U.S.

My school is unique in that it is an expensive school, but it is need-based and is actually very accurate in determining family contributions. It is also unique because there are plenty of resources that are not highly publicized, but they are there, and are less competitive. You just have to look for them on your own.

I would tell myself to research the resources that are available for AHANA students, then to branch off and find major specific resources. These two avenues offer a wide array of resources from scholarships to networking opportunities with alumni. I would also suggest that I get an on-campus job where there is the opportunity for student faculty interaction, be it in the faculty dining hall or in a particular department. This increases your networks and although you may not have a personal interaction with all the faculty members they have an opportunity to see how you interact with others and in the event that they find an opportunity and do not know other students, you may be the first person who comes to mind! And last but not least, remember that impressions matter. From the impression that you give the cleaning lady to the impression you give peers and professors. It is reflective of who you are and you never know who's watching so always put your best foot forward!

Boston College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.