Chestnut Hill, MA
Boston College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston College

Alejandro

The best advice would be to think. I feel that before one can make a choice as to which colleges to go, or which ones to apply, it is important to think about what you want and what you expect from college, and which colleges best fulfill these aspirations. Making a decision to apply and attend a university based on its location and supposedly good academics are insufficient factors for deciding on a school, because one may often find that a university does not meet the expectations one has for college. Or a school may not be what you want. Therefore, it is important to know what it is that you want from college, before you make a decisions on where to apply or where to go. By doing so, it saves you from a terrible experience.

The professors are very accessible to the students.

Daniel

Boston College has both a strong academic history as well as a good, Division I athletic program. Attending football, hockey and basketball games is amazing and always a good distraction from my studies. Honestly some of my best memories are from sporting events because they are fun and stress free.

I know that you are worried about making friends and finding a new group to hang out with once you start, but do not lose sleep over it, you will be fine. Most schools will offer many opportunities for incoming freshmen to get together and meet new people. The first opportunity comes before school even starts, orientation. You are forced into a small group with people just as nervous as you, and are bound to connect with someone. Also, once you start school there are often several school-run activities for the first few weekends aimed at the freshmen, to encourage meeting new people. Though these activities can often seem uncool or boring, they are actually quite fun. Also I would suggest enjoying the home cooked meals while you still can. Although every college claims that their food is amazing and delicious, nothing compares to a nice dinner cooked by mom. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, buy your books online before school starts. Any books sold by the college will be at least fifty dollars more expensive than what you can find online. Try to get the ISBN numbers ahead of time and save yourself some money.

The high cost of the school drains my family's finances and puts undue stress on me and my parents. Boston College comes right out and says they will not meet the aid suggested by FAFSA, because they believe every family can provide slightly more. This is not always the case, but it is very difficult to receive any more aid than they initially offer.

Angela

We are best known for our Football team and for being highly rated as one of the best colleges in the U.S.

My school is unique in that it is an expensive school, but it is need-based and is actually very accurate in determining family contributions. It is also unique because there are plenty of resources that are not highly publicized, but they are there, and are less competitive. You just have to look for them on your own.

I would tell myself to research the resources that are available for AHANA students, then to branch off and find major specific resources. These two avenues offer a wide array of resources from scholarships to networking opportunities with alumni. I would also suggest that I get an on-campus job where there is the opportunity for student faculty interaction, be it in the faculty dining hall or in a particular department. This increases your networks and although you may not have a personal interaction with all the faculty members they have an opportunity to see how you interact with others and in the event that they find an opportunity and do not know other students, you may be the first person who comes to mind! And last but not least, remember that impressions matter. From the impression that you give the cleaning lady to the impression you give peers and professors. It is reflective of who you are and you never know who's watching so always put your best foot forward!

Serafina

If I had the ability to go back to senior year and talk to myself while I was considering colleges I would have told myself to do more research. And by that I mean research the social life at the schools more, research the major requirements further, research more of the area the schools are located in. Doing all of that would help ensure picking out the right college to go to. I would tell myself to also tour more campuses, talk to current students about their experience at the schools, and I would tell myself to talk to my friends more about what they are looking at in a school to see if they could give some guidance. Furthermore, I would tell myself to let my parents and my high school guidance counselor be more involved in choosing which schools to apply to. The last thing I would tell myself is that once you get to college make sure you keep in touch with friends and family from back home and to also be the outgoing person who goes around the dorm building introducing herself to other people so to make new friends.

The kind of person who should attend Boston College is someone who is dedicated to their school work but is also very active in volunteer services. You should be the kind of person who knows how to balance having fun and doing work. You should be the kind of person who can make a good time out of any type of situation. Also, you should not have to worry about money.

The thing I brag about most when talking to my friends is how beautiful our campus is. The other thing I brag most about is how nice our football/basketball/ice hockey complex is and how it is very profressional looking.

Margaret

Before I came to Boston College there are a few things I wish I had known. There is so much to get involved in- instead of getting overwhelmed, choose a few activities to pressure and enjoy! There are resources at BC to help you if you are struggling academically, physically, or mentally. Many of the people who come to this school are financially privileged- do not get caught up in the materialism around you. Go abroad! It is a priceless ecperience. Do at least one service trip and one retreat.

I love BC and there is not much I would change about it. However, there is one area that I feel needs to be addressed. There is a considerable amount of binge drinking that occurs on this campus, as with most college campuses. There should be more done to inform students about the negative consequences of binge drinking and more alternative weekend activities for those who choose not to drink.

As a high school senior student, I was very anxious to begin my college experience. My high school did not prepare students much for what lied ahead of them. Additionally, I had few older friends who could give me advice about the years to come. If I could go back in time, there is much I would tell myself about college life. Firstly, I would tell myself to relax. You do not need to know exactly what you want to do with your life- you have time to figure it out. The rumor is true- you will have much more free time in college than you did in high school. Do your best to make the most of this time. Take advantage of the opportunities at school to get involve . At times your school work will be overwhelming. While it may be tempting to lock yourself away in the library for days- resist. Life is about more than getting a 4.0. You will meet lifelong friends here and make memories that you will carry with you always. Stop and appreciate what is around you- these are the best years of your life so far.

Boston College is unique in many aspects. First, the students there, though from diverse and international backgrounds, are extremely friendly. Academically, the courses here are challenging but satisfying. If one needs help, Boston College offers a variety of tutoring services on campus. Sports also permeate the environment here - if you are not a football or hockey fan now, you will probably become one here! Finally, extracurricular activities, particularly volunteer work, are strongly emphasized; the myriad of clubs and organizations that volunteer in Boston, as well as regular retreats for the working student, help maintain the moral aspect of this university.

College life gives the student a crash course in independence. High school is over, the parents are gone, and one is forced to try to make many new friends in the span of the first few weeks of college. This part of the transition is probably the toughest. Do not pretend to be someone you are not when making friends; these friendships will not survive the semester. Also, students are increasingly trying to fit into the "hook-up" culture that now pervades most campuses. I urge seniors to think twice before partying and drinking; the consequences of these actions can either be relatively benign, such as an embarrasing moment, to more severe penalties, such as loss of friendships and even an arrest if caught drinking under the age requirement. Colleges usually have a myriad of other activities that one can enjoy on campus besides the typical college party. Academically, college courses are definitely more challenging. Time management is the key here; keep up with your work. Set up regular times each weekend in which to do homework. Use the libraries, tutoring services, and office hours your college and professors offer. The only way to perfect this strategy is to practice.

Boston College is a university of future leaders and and a highly-driven student body. The school has been called a Catholic "Ivy League" school. Yet, this school is a Jesuit university, and, having lived there for a semester, I can say that this Catholic mindset definitely pervades the atmosphere of the school. The combination of this moral mindset and the school's call for success reflects on the student body; most students are people who are very intelligent and moral (not necessarily Catholic) but who also have common sense and a strong interest in volunteer work and extracurricular activities.

Daniel

There are a lot of services (tutoring, counseling, advising (academic and finacial), career, pre-med etc.) that are available but you would never know about them unless you asked.

The dining halls are very expensive and though the food is better quality than most dining halls, it isn't as good as the prices they charge (slightly more than you'd pay in a typical restaurant).

Take responsibility for yourself, initiative is important. No one will make you go to class or do the work, the services you need to succeed will not come find you, internships and career options will not fall in your lap. Everything you need to be successful is there but you have to go get it yourself.

Susan

Time is so important at this point in your life. Your life and future are at stake. Relationships change. Friends will leave you and betray you. Education will become a part of you. You'll be able to have something of value that will never leave or change. It will enable your success. And not just financially. You'll be able to do what interests you. You won't wake up every morning dreading going to that dead-end job. You'll have a career before marriage and children. You'll meet people from many cultures and races. Your view of the world will broaden. No longer will you be stiffled in your own private space. You'll understand other people and their point of view. And learn to respect the opinions that differ from your own. Four or more years go by quickly. It's the most exciting time of your life. Learning should be your reason for getting a college degree. People change careers in their lifetime. You will always have a foundation to change your life. You are an intelligent person. Don't waste these precious years. Do this now. You'll find a way.

Boston College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.