Chestnut Hill, MA
Boston College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston College

Charlie

I absolutely love BC. When I tell people I go here I am proud to say it, and they tend to be impressed. Our school is large enough that you are always meeting new people, but it's set up in a way that you are in communities, so that you know people. I love the closeness to Boston but the fact that we are separated from it. I have never felt unsafe walking back to my dorm alone at night.

BC student body is not as diverse as my hometown, but there are many different types of people.

The Academics are challenging. There are many places to study, you can go to one of the libraries, study lounges or the Chocolate Bar. We tend to have intellectual conversations.

White. Irish Catholic. Preppy. Wealthy.

Frances

BC is conveniently in Boston with easy access to the city, but still is a closed campus. You get that smaller school vibe some times. There's an amazing network of alumni, and I have found that with the Acoustics. You constantly feel a sense of community, no matter what it is you choose to be involved with at this school. It's great to go to the football games and see the sea of obnoxiously yellow superfan shirts as we all blow out our voices cheering on our ACC team. Sometimes it's difficult to not be annoyed with the BC bus system, especially Newton campus buses. I think the one thing I'd change if I could would be the housing situation.

BC seems as if it's striving to become a more diverse place than it already is, and I think that's very commendable. I think once you find a group of friends when you initially get comfortable on campus, it's very easy to just stick with them, and doing so you don't always keep yourself open to different types of people. You really appreciate people's differences in smaller group things like extracurriculars and small classes, but it's really easy to forget to put yourself out there and try to meet different people.

Being part of the Stixs has elevated my time here at BC from being great to...I don't know what's more than great. Epic? That sounds too dramatic...but it might be accurate.

Sadly the stereotypes are partially true, but what really makes BC are the hard working side of students that people usually overlook.

Some classes I honestly don't really care about. If I'm going to double major in music I could care less about my survey to bio class. No offense to the bio professor, but bio is just not my forte. I think this year I have only been focused on fulfilling my core requirements and have not really found any classes that were absolutely awesome. I don't spend time with professors, or TAs and I'm just trying to get by with decent grades so I can move on to more interesting classes.

For the first half of the year I was comfortable enough. I had a good group of friends from my hall and we hung out together and had good times. Drinking kind of sucks here, because first of all I feel like college life mentality is just "lets drink to get shitfaced"...and that's only entertaining for so long. Getting into the Acoustics was amazing for me. I have friends that are juniors and sophomores, and I trust them all with my life. It's kind of a cult, but like in a really good way. dating here sucks though. this school is purely a hook-up school, and no one here really dates. People party pretty frequently, although I no longer see the point of partying on "thirsty thursday". I feel like "those dumb freshman" have kind of gotten smarter as the year has progressed, although I'm merely speaking for myself. I would definitely say that the Acoustics has been my version of a fraternity and I can't believe how lucky I am to have become a part of it.

We're all comfortable upper middle class white students that pop their collars and wear designer clothes.

Andy

I love BC. I think the campus is beautiful, and I think the size is just right. Big enough where you are always meeting new people, but small enough where you will pass people you know while walking to class. I love the fact that there is a lot of school spirit, which definitely fosters a community feel.

I think just because two people are both wearing North Faces, does not mean they are the same person. Sure, people are similar, obviously everyone chose to come to BC, but assuming everyone is the same is ignorant. Everyone has their own interesting stories and experiences to share, if you are just open to listening.

I've found that BC students are not very competitive, in that they are always open to help you, or form study groups to prepare for exams. In general, the classes are small, and the professors are definitely there for you, but you may have to put in a little but of effort. I find professors love it when you go to their office hours, and hence they are very helpful when you are there.

BC offers a variety of community service opportunities, but you may have to apply, which can be frustrating. There is virtually no dating scene, you are either "hooking up" or "in a relationship."

That BC students all dress, look, and act the same.

Dave

Best all around school in country, with great academics as well as great sports. No other school in the country has a good football, basketball, and hockey program, and it is a fun thing to be a part of. I would definitly change the fan support (or lack there of). The city is amazing, with all of the great Boston sports.

The students do pay a lot for tuition, so most of the students come from wealth, but I believe the students to be great kids, not arrogant, and also very well rounded.

Once you declare your major and move to upper level courses, you move away from large lecture hall style classes and classes become more friendly.

Upper class, white, arrogant, rich, stuck up.

Carson

The best thing about BC is the location, it's in the suburbs so it's beautiful and safe. But the city is only a T ride away! I think the size it perfect. Depends on the age of the person but for the most part people are impressed when I tell them that I go the BC. There is a lot of school pride.

Most ppl dress up for class which is sometimes awkward for the ppl who are involved with sports and don't have the time to look nice and shower before class. I think that someone who is poor would feel very out of place here. I am by no means wealthy and have to pay for all my own things and i feel out of place much of the time.

Most of these stereotypes are true for a very small percentage of the student body at BC and do apply to the rest of us.

You rarely have to take a large lecture after freshmen year, so you always know your professor's name. My favorite classes are the ones i take for my major. My least favorite are the core classes that we have to take.

UGBC is a popular organization for ppl to try out for but not many ppl make it. IM Sports are very popular and a lot of ppl participate. Also, retreats and community service trips are fun and most of the students at BC are active in at least one.

That we're all rich. That everyone is an over-acheiver but still party hard. All the girls don't eat. Everyone is very preppy. A stereotype about varsity athletes is that we all have it easy and get cut breaks by professors.

Kaitlin

BC is a great place to go to school. There are so many opportunities to do fun things both on campus and off campus. You not only are in the suburbs which makes you feel safe but you also are so close to the city, so you have the chance to go out and explore the things that make you feel like you fit in. There is a lot of school pride on campus at BC but unfortunately the people in the surrounding communities do not feel the same. The size of the school is great because you have the chance to meet new people everyday, but you also see a lot of familiar faces walking to and from class. The overall big picture is that there are a lot of great kids here with a great future ahead of them, and the faculty and staff are appreciate that they are working with some bright students with booming personalities.

There are many students at BC who are do not fit the mold of the stereotype, there are people from all walks of like with all different views of the world.

BC is a place where you can make the most out of it if you want to. There are some outstanding teachers here but there are always some classes that bore you to death that you are required to take. Students here are serious about their school work, but they get it done in and seem to let it go. It's up to you if you want to take a class in a big lecture hall or one with just 30 students. In the smaller classes participation is almost always required and attendance is usually taken.

The typical stereotype of a BC student is someone who is a good student but also someone who likes to have a good time. Generally people are believed to be very preppy and from a well off family. Almost everyone at BC is involved in some sort of activity, they don't just go to class and come home.

Martha

I think that BC is the perfect balance of a lot of things. It is not too big, but definitely not too small. I can still go out at night and meet tons of new people, yet a have a large group of really good friends. Though the school is in the suburbs of Boston, access to the city is so easy that we get all of the benefits of being a city school without actually having to deal with the city daily. BC has its own campus, which is beautiful all year (though some people don't know how to appreciate the winter). There are so many things for people to get involved in, that if anyone complains about being bored it's because they clearly aren't trying to be a part of anything. Though athletics sometimes seem to be help on a higher level than academics, going to a school with a strong and enthusiastic athletic program is awesome. The school comes together and you really feel like something. I think that my favorite thing about the school is that for the most part, students know how to take their education very seriously and work hard, but they also definitely know how to kick back and have fun.

I think that the student body at BC is very diverse, in all senses of the word. I have met some amazing, fun and interesting people, yet I have also met some that I wouldn't mind not seeing again. I think that the people that have the hardest time at BC are those that do not embrace the school's athletics. That is not to say that you need to like sports to enjoy BC, but because the school tends to really come together to support the big sports teams, you miss a lot if you chose not to be a part of that. My biggest issue is that the there is a portion of the student body that is still very much in high school mode in terms of gossip, and the need to be cool and popular, etc. This is of course a very small part of the student body, but in my personal experience I have seen a lot of people get sucked into it all, and I was hoping that by junior year of college people would grow up (but some have just not gotten there). This part of the student body, however, is pretty easy to ignore.

To an extent, but definitely doesn't represent a good portion of the school population.

I have taken some great classes at BC, but I have also taken some that seemed like a waste. Though I like the idea of a core curriculum, I wish that in some of the areas of study there were more interesting classes that counted towards it. Depending on the way in which professors like to teach, class can be very engaging or pretty dry. There are many options to take smaller, more intimate classes, which i find easier to be engaged, but at the same time I have had some amazing lecture professors. I actually chose history as a major because the history classes that I had taken freshman and sophomore year were the most interesting and captivating classes that I had taken in college. I looked forward to going to class to learn, in both large lecture settings, and smaller classes with more personal interaction and discussion.

A large part of BC's social life is focused around athletics, in terms of tailgating and getting together to watch games. Besides that, there are always things going on around campus, you just need to know where to find them. I think a lot of people find it hard freshman year to find parties and stuff like that to go to because partying in the freshman dorms can be risky and challenging, but those students who get involved in clubs and activities have a much easier time meeting upperclassmen to do things with. I am on the sailing team, and it was the perfect way to meet other students and have a social base. People don't date too much at BC, or if they do its with people from other schools. this can get pretty frustrating sometimes and it seems that everyone complains about it, yet the trend continues.

A lot of rich people, very preppy

Harry

BC is an unreal place to be for the best four years of your life. There are tons of colleges, large and small, within a taxi ride away, so any time you want a different scene, you can get one. The best thing about BC is its location and the feel of a real college campus. 15 minutes from Fenway and the North End or Fanuiel Hall... yet you could think the campus was in the middle of a small town. A gorgeous campus with great architecture and layout. The worst part is probably the way housing works. Not that it's a life or death situation, but the housing lottery is a stressful time of year, and the sheer lack of space makes some living situations less enjoyable than others. I was stuck in "bad" freshmen housing, then "bad" sophomore housing, and then "bad" senior housing, but I loved every experience that came from each year. If you are good at making the best of situations, and not worrying about status or location of housing, you're going to have a great time wherever you are. The school spirit is not a real high-point of BC and its athletics. Everyone loves the college, but we travel TERRIBLY to away football games, and even have home games where the weather or too much tailgating takes away from the student section. Its sad when a big football game is on campus and there are empty seats around the stadium.

Unless you're a serious business school student, you wear whatever you want to class. At the beginning of the year, and then again once it starts to be nice out, do people noticeably dress nice for class. Other than that, it's sweats and baseball hats. While the majority of the student body sticks to its own group, if you are open and friendly, it is real easy to get along with just about anyone. The student body is predominantly white, middle to upper-class kids. Its the truth.

I honestly believe that you would be hard pressed to find a better overall opportunity than Boston College. If you're smart enough to get in, and you love the college atmosphere with the city right down the road, you cannot go wrong here. If you are a normal, warm-blooded human being, and you leave Boston College with regret or remorse, it's your own damn fault! Go to a Red Sox game, or a Beanpot hockey game downtown...take a weekend trip to Martha's Vineyard. Drink with your roommates until the sun comes up. Cut class and play mud football in the fall. Go watch the rowing team on the Charles River. Start drinking at an afternoon baseball game, then head directly to Roggies Happy Hour. Opportunities are endless.

The rich and snobby is not true. There are certainly the rich, and there are certainly a few that know it...but in general, all the kids are friendly and open. The athlete stereotype is hurt by a select few. Again, most athletes are good kids, with a lot on their plate as far as time commitments go. If they want to let loose on a weekend and have a good time, its their choice. The school of management kids - I feel - do think they are better than your average Joe. They work their tails off in all those classes, so its natural for them to expect more out of their education than say a Communications major. I that is not a problem in my eyes. The problem I see often is when kids get so consumed with business and The Wall Street Journal and all that hoopla, that they get a bad case of tunnel-vision. It's too bad for them.

I am a Communication major, and love it. You have to take two classes that require a large research paper (25 pages), but other than that, its awesome. The Public Relations courses are great, as well as advertising and Public Speaking. I always felt comfortable seeking out teachers for help outside of class. If you combine the education opportunities at BC with the Career Center on campus, finding a decent job or internship out of college is not as tall of an order as you may think. No one ever really knows what they WANT to do, but there are so many avenues to go down as you age at BC. Studying is not all its cracked up to be...unless of course your parents still reward you for your GPA. Participating in class is always a good thing...it helps teachers distinguish you from the group. Go to class, ask questions, and turn stuff in on time. You're golden after that.

There is no greek life, but that is one of BC's strongest qualities. People are more apt to branch out and party with different groups or friends. The party scene is not as stellar as some colleges, but the Mods and athletes hold up their end of the deal with parties. Some of the best nights you can find yourself in a random Mod or other dorm room at 3am with 5 of your closest friends, 3 people you just met, and a bottle of Rubinoff Vodka with not a care in the world. The best nights are not planned in college, they just happen. Mary Ann's is by far and away the most popular bar in the area. Tuesday nights and then the weekends, you will most likely find it filled to the brim by midnight or earlier. Other bars in the area provide a change of pace, and if none of those suit your desires, then you can get all dresses up and go with your friends to one of the most interactive cities in America. Oh and by the way...Marathon Monday is without a doubt the best day of the year. Campus shuts down, along with the rest of the city, and kids are all together around the campus...usually everyone drunk by 10am. Every year for 4 years, my roomies and I have started drinking at 8am to our favorite power hour mix, and it always starts the day off right. Another fun ritual is during finals week, when the students that live in the designated Mod take an hour or so to provide a study break by stripping in the back yard. Anyone can show up...and usually about 300 people do.

You hear a lot about everyone being rich and in turn "snobby." Male athletes being jerks, and using their status to get girls...a lot. Kids in the School of Management get hit with not only the nerdy, book worm type; but they "think they are better than everyone else."

Chris

BC is a school who is so concentrated with trying to be recognized with the ivy league and prestigious schools of the country, that they are killing the student school spirit. Students are too worried about classes and work to have any free time other than to go to the plex let a lone have a job. The police on campus are terrible and break every decent party up that the school has. The bus system is pathetic and the worst is the housing situation. I understand the school want more students, but try building more dorms first instead of forcing students to live in shit hole dorms or off campus apartments. The dorms here are worse then any of the schools i've visited all over the country. Theres no parking anywhere, and if you find a spot you get towed. The athletic teams are all very good but nobody gives two shits because they are too concerned with getting their homework done on a saturday. People think they have school spirit but they dont. At a school with real spirit, professors dont even assign work because there are big games coming up. And when the football team goes to a bowl game, or the hockey team to a national championship, students actually go! The big picture is that the schoo is more concerned with itself than its students. It basically uses its students by pulling in the smartest ones out of highschool feeding them with religious experiance crap so that they can leave, make money, and then come back to BC and donate all the money. The football team funds all other athletics because they cant raise enough money on their own to self support. Yet we only sell student tickets for a couple months before the season and only to so many students because we want to save the rest of the seats for the alumni assholes who donate money and sit down the entire game. Our opposing fans section is as big as our superfan section.

the general BC students parents come from a decent amount of money. It obvious that BC is a privately funded school thus would like to give out as little financial aid as possible. The majority of the kids here are spoiled and superficial. The school tries way to hard to iron out racial differences and there fore ends up annoying students.

The eating arrangements on campus are very sub-par. The facilities are not large enough and there is not enough variety in the food. If you are going to give stores around the campus a 5 year waiting period to get Eagle bucks for students, then you sure as hell should have a better grocery selection in the dinning hall. Also consider lowering your BC taxes on food, thats outrageous.

The classes at BC are fine for the most part. Other then some teachers being brought in at way to young of an age and making an ass of themselves by trying to pretend like they know more than they do. The academics is really the only good thing about this school. As long as you get a few more classrooms your all set. The Networking here is better than anywhere in the country.

I can't leave my dorm room door open because i'm scared of what wierdo's might come in. Some kids are just akward and because they are all moma's boys or daddy's girls then they never drank in high school or did anything wrong...thus they binge drink and screw things up so much here that its pathetic. Its some of the sloppiest partying i'v ever seen. I never sen so many kids throwing up in public area in my life. The academics are what drive the kids to drink so much on the weekends in order to relieve themselves. The TV channells here suck...try offering some HD stations and welcome yourself into the 21st century. School spirit as i have said before is pathetic. If you cant drink then there is nothing to do what so ever.

No good party's. Too many losers. Too many Asains. Think they are above everyone. Fan base sucks... Students are too worried about drinking. No Frat's or Sororities.

BC is a cool school to go to. The school spirit here is amazing something that I had never experienced until this year, coming from a very small highschool that didn'e even have a football team. The campus is beautiful too, lots of grass, and the city is only a 20 minute t-ride away. When I have time in-between classes, I usually hang out in the rat, its almost impossible not to see someone you know there. The dorms are fairly nice, some of course, nicer than others. I got the shaft this year and got stuck over on Newton. Everyone told me that I would learn to like, like the "going home" feeling but it really just proved to be a pain in the ass, especially being on a team where practice takes 5 hours out of your day. I was never here and since in the beginning, all my friends were on the team and they all lived on main campus, I spent all my time over there. The bus pain is awful, unreliable, especially on weekends, ive waited upwards of 30 minutes for a bus which is just ridiculous. Forced triples on upper get money for being inconvenienced...hello? Newton sucks and I didn't ask for it. But I guess its the luck of the draw, some people got shafted again next year though and have to live on upper with the new freshman because of an unlucky lottery number. I think if people are going to be forced to live a 10 min bus ride away from main campus one year, they should at least be guaranteed lower the next. Sorry for ranting about the housing situation, I just really hate it and think its a shitty system.

BC is a fairly un-diverse place. If you want diversity, don't go here, cause you will get weird looks and feel out of place. People here say they are open minded and say they are liberal or left, but they still shoot dirty looks at the kids who dress in anything thats name brand or a polo. I wouldn't different types of students interact. To class, girls tend to wear spandex and uggs, every day. The more ambitious will actually dress up to go class. I prefer jeans and a t-shirt, but thats just me, I don't own a polo or uggs for that matter. Students are politically away and some are active but for all the things that go on, on campus, I feel that more students could actually participate. People get lazy or think its the "uncool" thing to do. At BC, people care way too much about what others are thinking about them.

absolutely, not everyone, but most students seem to fit the bill

BC is unique in that you have to fulfill a core of 15 or so classes in all the departments in order to graduate which is cool, esp for people like me who have no idea what they want to major in: it's a good way to explore your options. I haven't seen the competitive side of students but that may be because I don't see myself as being that competitive when it comes to academics, I do my own thing and try not to worry about others. In my classes, it gets painful sometimes when teachers ask for participation but other times it gets interesting. I think this happens though because you don't really have to do work to do that well in a class. I have at least 2 classes that require reading for class, I can honestly say I havent read all semester and I have a B+/A-...I don't know if its all colleges or just BC but as long as you do well on the papers/midterms/finals, it really doesnt matter what other work you did for the class, it's real easy to figure out how to get by...Signing up for classes is kind of like the housing lottery and people get shafted more than they should, Ive been through 3 regisration periods and been near the last if not the last group everytime and esp being an athlete with severe time constraints on when I can take classes, none after 1 pm, it's a real big pain in the ass. Other schools I talk to are flabergasted at the fact that athletes don't at least get first pick before the rest of their class. Luckily for us, teachers are rather lenient about letting us into their classes after they are already closed, but things don't always go as planned.

Boston College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.