Chestnut Hill, MA
Boston College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston College

Stacey

I think BC is a great sized school--it's spread out just enough to make the scenery on campus quite beautiful, and yet, after one gets adjusted, you feel like you know a good portion of the students--be it through classes, extracurriculars, or living arrangements, everyone certainly finds their niche. BC isn't plopped right in the heart of Boston, but since the city is so easily accessible I think the location is perfect--located in an upscale area, with only a short T ride into all the student hang-outs. As for school pride, the term "Screaming Eagles" doesn't say enough. BC has by far one of the biggest set of fans, from sports (football becomes a way of life in the fall) to academics to the social scene, we all know that we are truly blessed to be at such a great place.

BC, like many universities, may take a bit of time getting used to (just the college life in general), but definitely give it time. I was not a huge fan at first, but have since come to meet a vast array of incredible people, and learn so much in fields that are of extreme interest to me that I wouldn't go back and change my decision at all.

Students shouldn't necessarily feel out of place at BC, for there are so many groups on campus to support one's race, ethnicity, sexuality, gender, etc. However, that doesn't mean that everyone is going to be fully accepting. The majority of students here are very tolerant of other people's lifestyles, but acceptance isn't universal. The LGBT crowd here is so small that it is certainly difficult to just casually meet someone of similar orientation, unless GLC is sponsoring an event or holding a meeting. The University canceled a GLC dance a few years back, and there are some big-wigs at BC who fear that by including sexual orientation in the non-discriminatory clause, alumni and donors will stop giving funds to the school. But again, people shouldn't feel totally ostracized, for there are plenty of student-run resources readily available to them.

Despite the fact that J. Crew is definitely a popular label seen on campus, the student body definitely is not snobby for the most part. BC really does have a great community of caring people, and its Jesuit roots encourages students to reach out and volunteer, or even go on special weekend retreats to reflect and get to know one another. As for the relationship aspect, it's certainly not impossible to get into a relationship here, but students (girls especially) should not go into things blindly, assuming that Mr. Right will fall in love with you after a drunken hook up...Highly unlikely.

I have absolutely loved my academic experiences at BC. But, I must say that my encounters are not the norm--as an English and Studio Art major, I have never had a class with over 25 people (in my majors), and I have become very close with a great deal of professors. Instructors are really here for you, and I'd advise you to make your connections early--asking for letters of recommendation for jobs and grad school came so easily because of the fact that I keep in touch with my professors over the years.

The social life at BC is go go go! Partying is certainly prevalent, but I wouldn't say it's totally out of control, due to a lack of Greek life on campus. But, there are certain spots that are definitely more party centralized than others. Students certainly have the option to party or to do other fun, perhaps less liver-damaging social events, and the school is really good about putting on various shows and forms of entertainment on the weekends to suit everyone's liking. Athletic events are HUGE, so those generally take up a decent amount of weekend time. Off campus, Boston is brimming with activity. From concerts on Lansdowne Street to bars near Fenway and shopping on Newbury street, one will never be bored in the city!

BC students are oftentimes perceived as extremely preppy and snobby, and there is the running joke that relationships don't really exist here.

Madeline

I love the atmosphere at BC. WIth the sports, the academics, and the town of Boston itself, it's an awesome place to be. The 8,000/9,000 student undergrad population seems perfect to me--it's small enough that you recognize people all around campus and in classes, but not small enough that you know everyone in the first few months. I also love that my class sizes aren't very big, so one-on-one time with the professor is easy to come by. I spend most of my time in my room with my roommates, hanging out with my friends. I have gotten a very positive reaction from people when I tell them I go to BC. They're impressed with the academics, and want to know what it's like to go to the school. I think there's a ton of school pride. There's not a day that goes by that people aren't sporting some sort of BC gear. The amount of students that travelled to Notre Dame this year seems to me to be a great showing of that. I think one of the biggest complaints students have is a lack of communications between the student body and the administration.

I really think BC is doing themselves a disservice by not recognizing the LGBT group on campus, and accepting sexual tolerance into the non-discrimination clause. I think BC is wrong in that there's no way to promote unity without encouraging gay behavior, if that's the stance the Catholic Church wants to take. I would think there are some students that would feel uncomfortable here, just because BC is the type of school that pulls in a certain individual. The alternative/social-progress individuals I have met here seem to hold a grudge that the campus is not that diverse. Yet I find this is something that they should have expected, and cannot hold against the school once they are here. I would say that most students are from the east coast, but there has definitely been a move towards recruiting students from more areas of the country. Students here are politically minded, even if it's just an echo of their parents' own beliefs. To me, BC is predominantly right, but as a Catholic private institution, I think that's expected. I don't think students talk about how much they'll earn one day, but students are definitely aware that CSOM is where the money is. As the financial school, their concentration on money will usually correspond to a strong job out of college.

I think BC is an excellent school, and I could not picture myself anywhere else. That being said, I know BC has some problems that I would like to see improved. But I would challenge anyone to find a school where students or faculty members aren't upset about something.

I think anywhere you go you can find people that are scared of change, or more so diversity. People that don't know something often fear it out of ignorance. BC does have programs to change peoples minds, and those who are open-minded enough will come out with a different perspective. It's also true that a few people can ruin the reputation of an entire area. I think, without a doubt, that a few students/professors/administers have skewed the public's perception of BC.

As an English major, I've had the privilege of having much smaller classes. While some of my core classes are 80+ students, none of my major classes have been more than 35 people. My English professors get to know all of us, especially through our writing. I love my writing classes. I get a chance to get to know the other people in the class in a way I wouldn't normally. I think the relationship with a professor is what a student makes it. There are some teachers I have put in the effort to get to know on a personal level, and those are the people I will stay in touch with once I graduate. Yet I also have professors that I've never had a personal conversation with, and don't know anything about me. But that doesn't mean that the professor never made him/herself available for me to start that conversation. I think what the classes are geared to depends on your major. CSOM's classes advance in a specific way, and are geared towards job experience. My classes, on the other hand, are more for all around development. English majors are helpful in so many fields that the experience is how you apply it in a job situation.

I think the spring break service trip, Appalachia, is one of the most popular organizations. It's one of the largest Habitat for Humanity trips in America. I went on that trip my sophomore year, and it is one of my favorite memories from BC. The dance groups at BC are also a huge draw, with the theater packed for all of the shows. THe plays and music shows aren't as big of a draw for the rest of BC. Athletic events are very popular, with the emphasis on Football. Students are also partial to the big basketball and hockey games, but there are definitely fans who won't go see smaller contests. I met my closes friends through mutual friends that I had made freshman year. If I'm awake on a Tuesday, I'm either studying for a test, or on my way back from Mary Anns, and hanging out with all my friends. Some of the traditions that are held each year are: The Middle March costume ball, homecoming, the senior week events, pep rally before the Notre Dame football game, etc. The party scene depends on your year. Freshman and sophomore year it's normal to go out on Friday and Saturday nights, and by junior year you go out on Thursday too. By senior year people go out Tuesday through Saturday, with specific bars each night. We don't have fraternities or sororities, something I consider one of BC's best aspects.

BC students are seen as upper middle class children from suburbia. It's not a very diverse campus, so many people are pretty close-minded. BC itself is scene as a somewhat homophobic, or more so stuck in the past of a Catholic tradition.

Boston College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.