Chestnut Hill, MA
Boston College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston College

Most of my classmates are intelligent and like to party.

Most of my classmates are intelligent and like to party.

I wish I had known about the "BC biddies" and "BC bros"; they are like frat boys and sorority girls, except we don't have fraternaties and sororoties here.

I would tell myself to trust myself and to trust my parents. I spent a lot of time worrying about how to pay for college and my parents said it may be difficult but we would get through it. I have come to love my school so much and all the decisions I've made in getting to this point. I would definitely tell myself to take pride in my high school accomplishments, but not to let them make me complacent when entering college. Additionally I would have told myself to join a club sport fall semester of freshman year, because joining the Boston College Women's Club Rugby team was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I would advise finding the weirdest, most interesting people on campus, not just people who are fun to go to parties with, because they don't end up being your friends for a very long time. The weird ones are the ones that will stick around and be the most fun. Overall, I would let myself know that I was about to make some very good life choices and to stick to gut feelings.

Daniel

Listen: You got into BC. You're highly intelligent, well-rounded, and driven. You worked hard in HS and you're going to continue to work hard in the classroom at BC. In terms of advice, telling myself I need to work hard in the classroom is unnecessary. Rather, I'd focus my advice solely on the social aspects of college. Why? Because the transition is arguably the hardest part of college; establishing yourself socially and finding a close friend group is something I cannot stress enough. You will be happy, and it will affect all aspects. You've heard the motivation, now here's the advice: Right away, be overly outgoing. You have no friends? Please realize: no one else has friends, either! People will be throwing themselves at you (in hopes of making friends) if only you took the effort to extend a hand and say nice to meet you. Unfortunately, this excessive friendliness stops after the first 2 weeks, so be sure to get on it right away. It sounds so simple, but meeting a lot of people and finding quality friends the first two weeks will have immeasurable effects on the rest of your freshman year.

I don't mean to sound cliche or biased, but I believe BC is a place for every kind of person. The religious affliation can be nonexsistant if you want it to be, don't let that deter you. We are highly respected in all of our majors (unless you're an egineer, then don't come here it's not offered). The vibe and excitement on campsus parellels a large state school yet we're a respected, top ranked private institution nestled next to one of the greatest cities in the US.

As I'm sure other smart, BC prospects will, I did my research. I knew BC, on paper, inside-and-out. Therefore, the only thing I wish I knew was that my love for BC in reality was just as true as it was for BC on paper. Let's face it, it's hard to truly know if you're going to love a school from simple online reviews, but let me tell you BC lives up to the hype.

Joshua

Boston College is best known for its football program and it's managment/business school. While the latter is quite adept at getting people employed, many of the other schools at Boston College have excellent facilities as well, especially the biology and physics departments.

The school has an extremely strong sense of community and social justice, especially when it comes to working in the local community. Even if you don't agree with many of the things the administration or Catholic Church do, you still feel like you're part of the school community and you can find your place if you try to.

Really try to be more spontaneous, especially when it comes to meeting new people. It's incredibly hard to meet a new group of friends far away from your home and different than your former social group but th easiest way is to just try out all the different activities you can; it's fine if plenty of them don't work out or you don't like them in the longer run. It's better to try these things while you stilll can rather than always wonder about them, especially with groups and social activities that are unique to the college setting. Just open up and accept things as they are and it'll all work out in the long run.

Michelle

I would definately start out by telling my self to stay focused on my goals. Then I would have to say that I have great opportunity that is ahead of me and to do everything possible to make sure that I exhaust all my energies into getting good grades and dont worry about growing up so fast, as at that time working was one of my main focuses and should not have been. The horizons and opportunities that are coming are far better then you could imagine and that do not waste time on distractions and become centered with your goals, and life is very short and you cant change your past but you are in control of your future.

Haley

The teachers at Boston College are very intelligent and enthusiastic about their subject of study and the campus itself is beautiful.

Though Boston College is very expensive, it offers decent financial aid packages, which aren't too difficult to complete. The student body is very involved in the sports on campus and the campus is beautiful. The student body overall is very smart and motivated.

Many high school students aren't thinking about the future and are more focused on gaining acceptance through their peers. As a result, less time is spent concerned with the future and more time is wasted. Hard work in high school is rewarded with scholarships, getting into better colleges, and the overall satisfaction of honest, hard work. There are so many different clubs, sports, student government positions, and summer opportunities available if you would only look. Though it can be easy to feel like time won't allow many different activities, careful planning and sacrifice can create more time in a day than you would expect. Different clubs like the National Honor Society, Leo Club, and academic clubs can promote global thinking as well as secure friendships. Also, sports provide exercise while encouraging focus and determination. Student government teaches important leadership and social skills necessary in life. High school doesn't have to be considered the “worst years of your life” as many call it. If you would look beyond the need to make friends and simply engage in the school and the world around you, you'll find there's a lot to offer, even at Kauai High School.

Jillian

for me the size is just right, about 10000 undergrad is small enough that youll see a few familiar faces walking to classes, and its not too overwhelming but at the same time, you wont get bored of seeing the same people or bump into someone you dont want to see. BC's reputation is pretty great which may not seem like it means anything other than the "wow, you got into/go to BC? thats great!" you get from relatives, friends, but it sure means a lot to recruiters when college is over and you need a job its great to be so near to boston which is the greatest college city since there are so many colleges around, if you need to get off campus, you can go into boston, or go to another campus theres tons of school pride here which is amazing i love it!! the divison 1 sports add to this a lot, but if youre not that into sports it doesnt matter! while i love football and enjoy the football games for the game and the social aspects, most of my friends go purely for the social aspect-they dont even pay attention to the game. the school unity is great at footbal games because everyone wears onoxious gold superfan shirts and superfan sunglasses and yell, cheer, laugh, sing, dance the whole entire game its great. did i mention we stand on the bleachers every second of every game? yea its the best!! almost everyone has season tickets so if youre an incoming freshmen, buy the football tickets its so worth it and youll be left out if you dont.

Describe the dorms.

Overall the dorms are more spacious than other colleges I have seen, the cleaning crew is super nice and come everyday to clean hallways and hall bathrooms [not suites], and they are set up so you tend to reside in dorms near people in your year. In hall styles all doors are weighted so they close automatically unless left propped. I have always felt comfortable enough with the people in my building/floor to leave my door open [more so freshmen year than sophomore year however] FRESHMEN: [rooms are single sex, but dorms are co-ed by floor i.e. guys first floor, girls second floor, guys third floor, etc.] All freshmen dorms are hall style, no communal kitchens. All freshmen must live on campus. 60% live on Upper Campus, an area on top of the hill the main campus is situated on. This includes all the special interest housing like the healthy living floor, the Shaw Leadership Program [Shaw House], all girls dorm [Koska] and honors housing [Medeiros Hall]. This part of campus is mainly doubles with a few quads and triples thrown in, and there is a possibility of forced triples i.e. three people in a double room. This would give you a partial room and board refund, and you would still have one bed, one dresser, and one desk per person in the room. 40% live on Newton Campus, five minutes away from main campus by bus, located on the Law campus. It has its own library and dining hall, but students are required to come to main campus for their classes during the week. There are no forced triples on Newton. There are doubles, natural triples [larger than a double room], and quads. You cannot put any preference towards Newton or Upper. SOPHOMORES: Can opt for suite styles or hall styles [or off campus] based on their housing lottery numbers. Hall styles are found on College Road near Upper Campus and a select few buildings on Lower Campus [at the bottom of the hill near the T stop and the gym]. Suit styles are on Lower campus and are 6mans of 3 double rooms, and 8mans of 4 double rooms. Suites have their own bathrooms that are not cleaned by the university during the academic year. Some have kitchens/half kitchens. JUNIORS: Can opt for suite styles or hall styles or off campus housing due to the high number of people studying abroad during junior year. 4mans 6mans 8mans SENIORS: Can opt for suite styles [or off campus] or Modular Apartments [Mods]. The Mods are the most highly desired senior housing for only seniors can live there. It is gated so that during football game day and other special events, residents and students over 21 may enter and tailgate legally. No one under 21 is allowed in the Mods at those specified times.

What do students complain about most?

The cost of BC. It is what it is. The housing PROCESS because like most schools we use a lottery system to determine the order of preference for housing. The biggest problem with this is that every year it seems there is somewhere everyone wants to live and somewhere you don't wanna get stuck in. Freshmen year=Newton campus vs. upper campus Sophomore year=Co Ro [near upper campus] vs. lower campus [8mans] Junior year=lower campus vs. off campus [8mans] Senior year=Mods vs. the Gate vs. lower campus Finding a solid group to get all your friends in the same suite or building can be difficult, but a slight majority is successful. I personally avoid the lottery all together for opting for special interest housing, which for me is honors housing which tends to put you in almost the best building for your year. Our varsity teams not winning as much as previous years. To me, this is BS because the teams are more likely to win if people show up to the games, but because we aren't winning people decide not to show up.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

It really depends on the person, and for me it even depends on my mood. Some prefer the libraries because it's easier to work with other people working around you as well as the quiet. The libraries offer areas for group work and individual work with various levels of personal space and noise level. We even have a "silent library" in Bapst that is preferable when you really need silence. Study lounges are in almost every dorm and are the space I use the most. They are smaller and less crowded than the library, easier to get to and from my room, and generally stay as quiet as some parts of the libraries [depending on the dorm]. I also opt for my dorm room as well, depending on the personalities of you and your roommate[s] it is possible to study in your room. I find it easiest because I don't need to lug my work, books, and laptop anywhere and I don't have to worry about dressing for the outside weather. Places that people often neglect [until finals] are empty classrooms and dining halls when operating and when not operating. These tend to be emptiest even during finals and the places I go when I need to be completely alone so I can efficiently study.

What's the Greek scene like?

Non existent. Because BC is a Catholic Jesuit university, we have no sororities or fraternities on campus which has advantages and disadvantages. The "exceptions" would be honor societies that are titled by their Greek letters, I am not sure of which honor societies [separate from honors programs] are employed though.

Just kidding, though we do have a lot of gothic architecture and a silent library [Bapst Library] that people call the Hogwarts library. its a really beautiful campus with tons of landscaping and its kept in very good condition. The beauty of the campus is one of the reasons I chose BC; that may seem odd to say at first, but college is your home for four years and wouldnt you wanna live someplace that looks nice? The main campus is pretty compact so classroom buildings are generally close together. We also have some historic buildings like the Cardinal's former residence on Brighton Campus. It is huge and gorgeous and is currently being converted into either residence halls or academic buildings as part of the BC 10 year pan that began last year. Our most iconic building which you'll see on all the broucheres, and anywhere on campus, is Gasson hall, which has arches that constitutes the Heights.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

So for those who don't know, Marathon Monday is the Monday of Patriot's Day when we have off from classes and the Boston Marathon occurs. The east side of main campus runs right along Commonwealth Avenue which all the runners follow right after Heartbreak Hill. Not only was it amazing to see the world class runners, but also the runners who wear funny costumes or have signs or the ones who go to Boston College [we have a marathon club that prepares year round]. EVERYONE at the college is lined up along Comm Ave and just yells screams and cheers for hours upon hours; it seriously was like a football game, just along the street. Last year, my first year, it was THE perfect day for a marathon and it was gorgeous outside, a nice way to spend a spring day in the sun. It should be emphasized that the reason at least half the student body loves Marathon Monday is because it is an extension of the weekend meaning monday is 24 hours of drinking. People actually get up early early like 6 or 7 am just to start drinking as much as possible. It's not my scene, but I do thoroughly enjoy watching drunk people do hilarious things i.e. when their running friend stops by and making him chug a beer before he keeps running or chanting "You Are Running the Boston Marathon" and "Continue to Run the Marathon" It was priceless and now look forward to it this spring!

What are your classes like?

Generally speaking they are taught by a professor who knows what they are talking about. It should be noted the only role teaching assistants have is leading discussion groups, usually optional and are only in addition to the lecture if any at all. The professors are really passionate about what they teach [at least half of the ones I have had clearly either wrote our textbook or had career experience in the subject matter] and the majority actually care about helping you if you reach out to them [something people told me would not happen in college]. Since there are a lot of courses required by the core, a lot of times it matters more who your professor is rather than what title is given to the class. Sure the grading and reading amount is much harder than high school but it didn't take too long to transition into the workload.

people are pretty diverse by all means, though it isnt usually advertised as so. you get international students, students of all races, nationalities, sexual orientations, religions. theres people who are paying tuition in full and people who can only afford to go here becuase of ful scholarship rides-most people get some form of financial aid. theres the divison 1 athletes and people who cant play sports for their lives. people from most every states and every political standing. i should say while the official number is that 70% of students identify themselves as christian, that simply means they checked off a box on their application. there are many people like me, i identify roman catholic, however i barely practice or observe. i have met one right winged super-catholic southern son of the confederacy here, but trust me when i say that is a rarity. to me, people interact pretty well here and if everyone gives everyone the chance everyones pretty chill; almost no one is rascist or super religious/conservative We are a Jesuit Catholic school and the Jesuits are considered to be the most liberal of the Catholic sects, and its true. For every club deemed conservative like the pro life club there is always, by nature not force, an opposing liberal club like the pro choice club See my post on sterotypes for more of this...

Even among the other college populations we get a bad rep for preppy, snobby, dunk, rich, white bros and hoes or j-crew with a hangover. There is even a blog called Bro-ston College. This is not true-yes maybe 5% of the population is made up of bros and hoes but the rest is a friendly, normal atmosphere. People still wear sweats around campus, most people get some form of financial aid, not everyone drinks on campus though I would stress that this is not even close to a dry campus but people who do not party still manage. We do have more diversity than people would think around here too and the cultural clubs are huge on campus the main one being AHANA. People here are definitely not racist in the slightest. People here overall and in general are friendly, not always what you would call religious, not alcoholic, care enough about their schoolwork but not to the point of having no life.

besides what people say: its diverse. people are great. not everyone drinks. social life is great. religion is not shoved down anyones throat. its a gorgeous campus. food is better than decent. yes its expensive, but if you take advantage of the free stuff and handouts (that technically your tuitions paying for) you will get your moneys worth. everyone can find their own niche here. i. love. it. here. thats the best advertising i can give for the school i love, that i love it.

in my experience maybe this is 5% of the BC population but most people i have met are real people and not stuck up at all. honestly, because the college is about $50000 a year including room and board, yes many people are rich but not many flaunt it around. i was surprised that BC is much more diverse than anyone lets on, the problem in my eyes is that the students ourselves unintentionally segregate-it sounds a lot worse when i put it like that, but one of the big groups on campus is called AHANA standing for: African-American, Hispanic, Asian and Native American. people group themselves together ergo the asian kids all seem to have asian friends, etc etc. its a real shame because i have found if people dont rely on this, people can fall into natural groups that will, yes, have diversity. a group on campus does go around and sit down at other peoples tables at lunch in order to switch up the different diversities. in general, if people dont cop out, you get to meet some really different and awesome people here. drinking is a big part of the social scene but its not the complete picture. i am only a social drinker and i probably only go to parties once or twice a month. the rest of the weekends i have tons to do with friends while being sober ESPECIALLY in boston. being 5miles from downtown boston (30minutes on the subway from central boston) is a great thing because there are endless things to do in the city-unlike some small colleges where the only thing to do is drink in small dorm rooms. my suggestion is that if you plan on dirnking, make sure you make more than just drinking friends-i have heard of ppl who have had this problem and it's much better if you have friends to hang out with sober as well! as a freshmen dont get caught up thinking everyone gets smashed every night thursday-sunday, because they dont

most the the professors here actually care, theyll set up office hours and give extra credit. all but one of my classes freshmen year were under 40 people, the one that wasnt was lecture style and that was only 150 people. even though BC is known for academics, most people arent nerds who study 24/7, im pretty sure the rigor and study hours are the same at most other colleges. the thing that sets it apart is the extensive core. theres a moderately large list of core courses everyone has to take. if you do well on APs/IBs youll get exempt from a lot though-i came in with 24 credits and got rid of most of my core! as a jesuit college you do need to take theology as part of the core but especially if you pair it with philosophy, its really the philosophy behind religion-its NOT shoving religion down anyones throat

tons of clubs. tons of athletics. tons of things to be an audience member of as well as an active member. tons of service. TONS upon TONS of stuff to do in boston and at surrounding colleges. dont let cultural or religious stuff scare you away, for example, sign up for a retreat called kairos-best experience at BC i have had hands down. its run through campus ministry, which scared me a little at first but if you believe in any kind of faith, structured or not---if you believe in anything---DONT ASK QUESTIONS GO ON THIS RETREAT. its so popular theres a lottery to get in so the earier you sign up the better.

j-crew with a hangover, preppy rich white kids, no diversity

Brooke

Doug Flutie's Hail Mary pass

Doug Flutie's Hail Mary pass

Don't try to over involve yourself with all sorts of clubs and activities. You are there for school as well as the experiences. Also keep on top of your studies, and don't leave it all until the end. You learn better when you break the information into chunks and study a little every day rather than cramming large quantities into short spans of time. The professors are not there to baby you so you need to make sure you do all the necessary preparations to succeed.

Being 4x Men's Hockey National Champions, Good football recruits (Luke Kuechly, Matt Ryan), On campus concerts and other activities

Take advantage of every oppurtunity you can. Once you realize what you should have done, it's too late. It is crutial to get a degree if you ever plan on living a life that is not stressful every single day.

Catherine

BC has fantastic academics and terrible administration.

BC has fantastic academics and terrible administration.

I made friends with the nerds, so my classmates were not representative of the typical BC student.

Hey high school self, All things considered, you're doing a good job preparing yourself for college. Make sure you keep studying with the same intensity, because it's going to make your classes seem that much easier. Don't forget about time management; that is going to be your most important skill in college. Believe me, sometimes it's worth it to go out instead of studying -- you have to keep yourself sane! -- but other times, you're just going to have to learn to say "no". It's always going to be a judgment call. It'll be hard to be away from home. I know everything will seem shiny and new, but at some point in the middle of freshman year, you're going to feel like you got punched right in the stomach. "Who are these people? Where's my family? Where is the place I know and love, where I know who I am?" Listen, high school self, I've been there. And let me tell you, it gets better. Don't be afraid to open up to your college friends; they're just as scared as you are. And remember, time heals all wounds.

Boston College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.