Chestnut Hill, MA
Boston College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston College

Doris

The campus is beautiful, especially at night. Schoool pride's a big thing. It is not uncommon to see a sea of maroon and gold in lecture hall.

Most students are white, well off financially, Christian, and pretty good looking.

There are quite a few big lecture halls especially the introductory courses in the sciences. Professors will not learn your name unless you give them a reason to. It is very easy to glide by without looking your professor in the eye. The courses vary in difficulty depending on the department. The sciences are pretty difficult whereas the social science classes are less vigorous.

Lisa

If I were able to advise my high school self about college, my main piece of advice would be "begin college the year you graduate high school." I had taken a few college course earlier in my life and they were much easier than they are now. Due to my age and the responsibilty that comes with getting older, college has become much more difficult. So, in order to make things easier on my current self, I would strongly encourage a younger me to being, and finish, college earlier.

Victoria

Boston College is best known for going hard at everything we do, whether it's studying, researching, partying, or playing. Boston College students know the correct time to do everything and you see that as the academic year progresses. "Work hard, party hard" is the adopted motto among students as it should be. There's no better feeling that giving yourself a pat on the back after conquering your difficult history core midterm or being awarded an Advanced Study Grant. Boston College has taught its students how to prepare for the real world--relaxing included.

College isn't just about being in the classroom, as most students know. This didn't really hit me until my first year at Boston College where I saw so many clubs and groups staying active on campus. From Young Democrats and Young Republicans to dance groups like Fuego del Corazon and UpRising, BC has it all. BC is unique in that new clubs and groups have the ability to kick out the veterans--something I'd never thought possible. The groups' spirits and energy made walking on campus fun, interesting, and different every day.

If I needed to be told anything, it's "Remember to breathe." Taking that one deep breath is what will be most helpful in reorganizing my thoughts, refocusing, and calming myself down. One breath grounded me and forced me to remember that everything would work out, everything would be okay, and I don't need to have everything perfectly planned out at the start of my undergraduate career. There is still time to explore options, still time to correct mistakes, and there is still even time to bring up my GPA. Yes, it's not perfect, and it's not exactly what I had envisioned, but it's just another lesson preparing me for future life experiences. Taking the time to remember to breath is what saves me from committing to too many clubs, from giving up after receiving a low paper grade; breathing keeps me sane. Breathing is essential to life and at college you begin to plan your life. College is the place to practice for the real world so take the time time college to breathe, reorganize, and refocus so you have an idea of how to maintain control, your happiness, and your health.

Jianan

I love Boston College. I am on serious student loans to be able to come here and while I still get stressed out over that, I do not regret my decision. The people I have met here, the skills I have developed and the outlook on life I have discovered are priceless. There is just something different about going to a Jesuit institution. It is not the religious appeal that I am talking about - I am not religious myself - but more of a philosophy. Boston College believes in the education of the whole person and really tries to instill that belief in its students. What I think is the best quality about BC are its students. The student population cares tremendously about their grades and academic performance but will still be able to relax and have fun on the weekends. The one thing I would change about BC is its strict policy on underage drinking. There is no bar on campus and there are a lot of documentations over alcohol. They aren't very serious but that is one of the problems with BC BC is just the right size - not too small where you cant avoid seeing certain people and not too big where you always feel like a stranger.

Boston College has developed a stereotype that all BC students like to party hard. I would agree with this stereotype; it is known on campus that students work hard and play hard. Like all stereotypes, there are exceptions; I know plenty of people who do not drink. I do think there is an implicit pressure because that is what most students do on the weekends. The only change in social scene across the years is where the drinking happens (freshman dorm, 8 man suit, off campus, mods or bars).

As a high school senior I attended two AP/College prep classes, along with 5 other classes. I also was very involved with the theatre program, including having a secretory position. If I was to go back and say some sage advice to high school senior me, I would tell her to expect a lot of self-organization heading into college. In high school, you often “hold hands with your teacher” and are handed your homework on a silver platter. In college, while the teacher is sometimes forgiving, the key to passing is making your own goals in that class. At the very beginning of the semester, read your teachers syllabus, understand how you will obtain the grade you want, and get to be confident with your work. Talk to your teacher during their office hours and know that they are there to help you. Know that college is what YOU choose to make it, so that is, YOU, who should make the best of the experience.

Heather

I really don't think that there is anyone who shouldn't attend BC. I was a transfer student and coming from another school, BC is 100 times better. You should be open to new things and diversity though. There are so many clubs and interesting activities out there that you definitely should come in with an open mind and be willing to put yourself out there to something new and different.

EVERYTHING. The dorms are nice, the food is amazing, the people are (mostly) friendly, and the academics are top tier. I think what sets BC apart as well is the spirit that the students have here. Coming from another school, it is great to be a part of a place where the people have so much pride for the college they are at.

I would tell myself not to be afraid of the college transition. One of the biggest things that held me down was homesickness and always feeling that things weren't going how they should be. I pictured college life being something you can just jump into and have the time of your life, but I was sadly mistaken. It takes time to get used to being away from home, making new friends, and taking new classes. It's all worth it in the end though. Although at the time it may feel like the end of the world, you do get adjusted and good things are coming the longer you stay at school. College is only four years of your life, so make the most of it while you can. Be patient, take risks, and try new things: it is all going to be fine.

Julia

If i were still a high school senior, I would tell myself many things before making a college choice. First, to make sure and live in the moment and enjoy high school because you'll miss it once you go to college. Also, no one ever told me how hard of an adjustment it would be to go to a college where I knew no one. I wish that somebody would say that going to a college far away from home would be hard and you may not like it your first year. Also, I wish somebody would have told me to make sure you study A LOT of tests.

someone who is interested in art or any specific major like that.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that there is no Greek life, and it is far from home.

Uyen

I absolutely love Boston College. Being an Asian student, I know that there is a lot of diversity and integration issues that many minority students have to deal with. However, in my opinion, it's what you make of it. First of all, there is so much school pride here and you see it at football and hockey games or even just walking around campus. On an average day, you'd definitely see at least 4 or 5 people in your classes rocking BC apparel. I'm always proud to tell people that I go to Boston College and I think a lot people respect BC, especially around the Boston area. Now that I am a senior, I began to see the inconvenience of living kind of far away from the center of Boston. Since the T shuts down at 12:30 it is difficult to go into bars in Boston without a hefty cab fair ride back. But the beautiful campus makes up for this fact and there are also a few BC bars in Cleveland Circle that most BC students go to. One of things I love most about BC is the community and how much we care about our students development here There are so many different extracurricular activities that we can get involved in and build different communities within these activities. There is also a huge emphasis on service and giving back to the communities around us. Each year, we have more than 1000 students volunteering at different communities in Boston. The only problem on campus is the lack of racial interaction between white students and minority students. Even though there is high diversity (30% of students are minority or AHANA student), the two groups do not integrate very well together.

BC has about 200 student organizations and there are a lot of different types but I think one of the most popular are the service organization. Obviously students participate in a lot of intramural sports but service is a huge component of extracurricular. We have Appalachia Volunteers which send about 600 students down to the Appalachian region every year during spring break to build houses for Habitat for Humanity and to work in the communities. There are more than 30 service trip programs which sends students to different countries during winter break, summer and spring break to immerse them in a different country. There is over 1000 4boston volunteers, 100 of Loyola volunteers just to name a few of the popular service organization at BC. It is difficult at BC to not volunteer at least once when you're at BC for 4 years. The AHANA community (minority students) is also extremely active on campus and I think show the most presence through the cultural clubs, everyone knows that cultural clubs are pretty intense at BC, especially if you're on an E-board. Besides these popular extracurricular activities, students really take advantage of our location close to Boston. People take weekend trips to the commons and the MFA regularly and we even have shuttles that take students there sometimes. We have a program called "BC to Boston" that provide cheap tickets to shows like Blueman group and the Nutcraker. However, on football weekends, most students are tailgating and weekend nights are often filled with parties and drinking. It's hard to find a quiet spot on campus besides maybe a freshman dorm.

Students are BC are ALWAYS on the move, whether it is for school work, sports, extracurricular activities, volunteering or partying. We like to keep ourselves busy during the week and party hard on the weekends. Everyone is ACTIVELY involved in at least 2 or 3 organizations on top of classes and they take a lot of pride in their extracurricular activities. We go above and beyond for our clubs and I've seen this whenever we have intercollegiate events. I would say this is true for the majority of students. As for racially, like I said before, there is not a lot of interaction between racial groups but it's improving. I myself have 2 different groups of friends, my Asian friends from my culture club and my white friends (roommates, classmates etc..) Contrary to popular beliefs, there actually are many LGBT students here, in fact I have a few gay friends and there are support groups on campus for LGBT students. The students here are also separated by the school they're in, CSOM, A&S, LYNCH and NURSING. CSOM are the business students with no hearts, A&S are the humanities, LYNCH are the future teachers and NURSING--well are future nurses. I think the core courses bring the students from different school together but there are definitely certain personalities associated with each one.

BC has a HUGE core requirement that includes like 15 courses or something like that if you don't have any AP credits. These core classes are generally pretty big and pretty boring but they really do help you narrow your focus if you have no idea what to study when you first enter college. I think one of the best programs we have is the Cornerstone classes as well as the PULSE and Perspective programs. Cornerstone classes are first year seminars that help freshmen learn about themselves and their vocation as well as learning how to navigate college. It makes students take time out to reflect about their experiences in college and think deeper about their studies. The PULSE program is my favorite class so far. It is a service-learning course that knocks out the 2 theology and 2 philosophy core requirements in one course over 2 semesters in conjunction with 10-12 hours of service. It is by far one of the most popular program that everyone tries to sign up for besides Perspectives (which also knocks out the theology and philosophy core without the service component). But PULSE is special because it connects philosophy text to current life and with the service we do in the communities around us. It was PULSE that helped me find my vocation and future career path. I can also say that every single PULSE professor is loved by their students and they care so much for their students on personal levels that I don't think other programs have. Some professors even invite students over for dinners. We have things like "Professor and Pastries" where students can just come and chat with professors over coffee and desserts. One of the complaints I have about our academic system is the academic advising. We really don't have any besides your adviser giving you the access code to register for classes, at least that's been my experience so far.

Everyone sees Boston College as a preppy rich white Catholic school with lots of jocks and pretty people. People think that all BC students look the same with our Northface fleece, Uggs boots and Jcrew cardigans. BC is seen as a white school lacking racial diversity as well as sexual orientation. We also have a reputation as a party school and the slogan is "work hard and party harder". To a certain extent, a lot of the stereotypes are true. The majority of the school is white students from generally affluent backgrounds. Since we're a Division I school, there are a lot of jocks and athletes. A lot of the people here dress pretty preppy but you also see students in sweatpants and hoodies all the time. I like to say that sure we seem like mindless models from Jcrew catalogs, we also have brains and really good hearts. What most people do not talk about BC is how extensive our curriculum is focused on service and the community. Many students here are not just mindless jocks, but are compassionate people; you just have to kind of choose your friends wisely.

Terrance

The Boston College student population is definitely not large in comparison to many other universities in the US. That being said, there are enough students in every class to have a fair balance between friends and strangers on campus. School spirit at BC is incredible: students are sure to attend football games throughout the fall as well as support our championship winning hockey team. Even if you're not a big sports fanatic, taking time to see these great teams is an amazing experience here at BC.

Typically, students at Boston College are, in some form, involved in athletics. Whether this is through a club/varsity sport or simply joining an intramural team, there is a pretty big social standard with staying fit and hitting the gym. Overall, BC students take both their academics and health very seriously.

Sam

BC's a great place. But like any other thing, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Me not a fan of a lot of kids here/ their respective demeanors. BUT, there really are some fantastic teachers and opportunities. I can only speak from the departments that I've most profligated (English numero uno) from, but really just lovely and kind people all around that often more times than not, have your best interest at heart and really passionate about their subject and teaching. And their are a number of kids that I've really grown to love. And again, this school or any other will have an adjustment period - you'll eventually find the people and topics that excite you - they're at every school, just a matter of how long it takes to find them/ how comfortable you are searching them out.

Most prominent, white bros/ white kids that like to drink. If you can't go to a FL school for good looking XX's, then come here - if that's your priority. Lots of body image building (issues?). Lots of meatheads, also lots of incredibly tight girls. Any black guy is usually on a sports team. Sounds terribly stereotyping, but good god, does BC milk the talent. Basically, its image of itself as a athletic contender and academic contender are more often than not mutually exclusive. Mostly, the bulk of the student body is involved in themselves (pun! - ha!). But I think that's just as much an issue of growing up than anything. If you're a smarty pants/ minority that feels a slight slighted around bulging white men or really sultry white girls, maybe BC's not your school. But if you're relatively secure with your physicality - go for it

I've not had any problems with the academics - though I be a poor model to go off of. Je suis brilliant, but also incredibly lazy

We're a school with white kids and white kid problems. Little more removed from the assumed prep school - not that bad - but a lot of kids are not so right at foresight and the like. They don't think much beyond themselves. Not all of the kids are like this, but I'd say the bulk are more (subconsciously) concerned with themselves/ their niched, than exploring/ developing their humanity

Boston College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.