Chestnut Hill, MA
Boston College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston College

Brooke

Doug Flutie's Hail Mary pass

Doug Flutie's Hail Mary pass

Don't try to over involve yourself with all sorts of clubs and activities. You are there for school as well as the experiences. Also keep on top of your studies, and don't leave it all until the end. You learn better when you break the information into chunks and study a little every day rather than cramming large quantities into short spans of time. The professors are not there to baby you so you need to make sure you do all the necessary preparations to succeed.

Being 4x Men's Hockey National Champions, Good football recruits (Luke Kuechly, Matt Ryan), On campus concerts and other activities

Take advantage of every oppurtunity you can. Once you realize what you should have done, it's too late. It is crutial to get a degree if you ever plan on living a life that is not stressful every single day.

Catherine

BC has fantastic academics and terrible administration.

BC has fantastic academics and terrible administration.

I made friends with the nerds, so my classmates were not representative of the typical BC student.

Hey high school self, All things considered, you're doing a good job preparing yourself for college. Make sure you keep studying with the same intensity, because it's going to make your classes seem that much easier. Don't forget about time management; that is going to be your most important skill in college. Believe me, sometimes it's worth it to go out instead of studying -- you have to keep yourself sane! -- but other times, you're just going to have to learn to say "no". It's always going to be a judgment call. It'll be hard to be away from home. I know everything will seem shiny and new, but at some point in the middle of freshman year, you're going to feel like you got punched right in the stomach. "Who are these people? Where's my family? Where is the place I know and love, where I know who I am?" Listen, high school self, I've been there. And let me tell you, it gets better. Don't be afraid to open up to your college friends; they're just as scared as you are. And remember, time heals all wounds.

Doris

The campus is beautiful, especially at night. Schoool pride's a big thing. It is not uncommon to see a sea of maroon and gold in lecture hall.

Most students are white, well off financially, Christian, and pretty good looking.

There are quite a few big lecture halls especially the introductory courses in the sciences. Professors will not learn your name unless you give them a reason to. It is very easy to glide by without looking your professor in the eye. The courses vary in difficulty depending on the department. The sciences are pretty difficult whereas the social science classes are less vigorous.

Lisa

If I were able to advise my high school self about college, my main piece of advice would be "begin college the year you graduate high school." I had taken a few college course earlier in my life and they were much easier than they are now. Due to my age and the responsibilty that comes with getting older, college has become much more difficult. So, in order to make things easier on my current self, I would strongly encourage a younger me to being, and finish, college earlier.

Victoria

Boston College is best known for going hard at everything we do, whether it's studying, researching, partying, or playing. Boston College students know the correct time to do everything and you see that as the academic year progresses. "Work hard, party hard" is the adopted motto among students as it should be. There's no better feeling that giving yourself a pat on the back after conquering your difficult history core midterm or being awarded an Advanced Study Grant. Boston College has taught its students how to prepare for the real world--relaxing included.

College isn't just about being in the classroom, as most students know. This didn't really hit me until my first year at Boston College where I saw so many clubs and groups staying active on campus. From Young Democrats and Young Republicans to dance groups like Fuego del Corazon and UpRising, BC has it all. BC is unique in that new clubs and groups have the ability to kick out the veterans--something I'd never thought possible. The groups' spirits and energy made walking on campus fun, interesting, and different every day.

If I needed to be told anything, it's "Remember to breathe." Taking that one deep breath is what will be most helpful in reorganizing my thoughts, refocusing, and calming myself down. One breath grounded me and forced me to remember that everything would work out, everything would be okay, and I don't need to have everything perfectly planned out at the start of my undergraduate career. There is still time to explore options, still time to correct mistakes, and there is still even time to bring up my GPA. Yes, it's not perfect, and it's not exactly what I had envisioned, but it's just another lesson preparing me for future life experiences. Taking the time to remember to breath is what saves me from committing to too many clubs, from giving up after receiving a low paper grade; breathing keeps me sane. Breathing is essential to life and at college you begin to plan your life. College is the place to practice for the real world so take the time time college to breathe, reorganize, and refocus so you have an idea of how to maintain control, your happiness, and your health.

Jianan

I love Boston College. I am on serious student loans to be able to come here and while I still get stressed out over that, I do not regret my decision. The people I have met here, the skills I have developed and the outlook on life I have discovered are priceless. There is just something different about going to a Jesuit institution. It is not the religious appeal that I am talking about - I am not religious myself - but more of a philosophy. Boston College believes in the education of the whole person and really tries to instill that belief in its students. What I think is the best quality about BC are its students. The student population cares tremendously about their grades and academic performance but will still be able to relax and have fun on the weekends. The one thing I would change about BC is its strict policy on underage drinking. There is no bar on campus and there are a lot of documentations over alcohol. They aren't very serious but that is one of the problems with BC BC is just the right size - not too small where you cant avoid seeing certain people and not too big where you always feel like a stranger.

Boston College has developed a stereotype that all BC students like to party hard. I would agree with this stereotype; it is known on campus that students work hard and play hard. Like all stereotypes, there are exceptions; I know plenty of people who do not drink. I do think there is an implicit pressure because that is what most students do on the weekends. The only change in social scene across the years is where the drinking happens (freshman dorm, 8 man suit, off campus, mods or bars).

As a high school senior I attended two AP/College prep classes, along with 5 other classes. I also was very involved with the theatre program, including having a secretory position. If I was to go back and say some sage advice to high school senior me, I would tell her to expect a lot of self-organization heading into college. In high school, you often “hold hands with your teacher” and are handed your homework on a silver platter. In college, while the teacher is sometimes forgiving, the key to passing is making your own goals in that class. At the very beginning of the semester, read your teachers syllabus, understand how you will obtain the grade you want, and get to be confident with your work. Talk to your teacher during their office hours and know that they are there to help you. Know that college is what YOU choose to make it, so that is, YOU, who should make the best of the experience.

Heather

I really don't think that there is anyone who shouldn't attend BC. I was a transfer student and coming from another school, BC is 100 times better. You should be open to new things and diversity though. There are so many clubs and interesting activities out there that you definitely should come in with an open mind and be willing to put yourself out there to something new and different.

EVERYTHING. The dorms are nice, the food is amazing, the people are (mostly) friendly, and the academics are top tier. I think what sets BC apart as well is the spirit that the students have here. Coming from another school, it is great to be a part of a place where the people have so much pride for the college they are at.

I would tell myself not to be afraid of the college transition. One of the biggest things that held me down was homesickness and always feeling that things weren't going how they should be. I pictured college life being something you can just jump into and have the time of your life, but I was sadly mistaken. It takes time to get used to being away from home, making new friends, and taking new classes. It's all worth it in the end though. Although at the time it may feel like the end of the world, you do get adjusted and good things are coming the longer you stay at school. College is only four years of your life, so make the most of it while you can. Be patient, take risks, and try new things: it is all going to be fine.

Julia

If i were still a high school senior, I would tell myself many things before making a college choice. First, to make sure and live in the moment and enjoy high school because you'll miss it once you go to college. Also, no one ever told me how hard of an adjustment it would be to go to a college where I knew no one. I wish that somebody would say that going to a college far away from home would be hard and you may not like it your first year. Also, I wish somebody would have told me to make sure you study A LOT of tests.

someone who is interested in art or any specific major like that.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that there is no Greek life, and it is far from home.

Boston College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.