Chestnut Hill, MA
Boston College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston College

Uyen

I absolutely love Boston College. Being an Asian student, I know that there is a lot of diversity and integration issues that many minority students have to deal with. However, in my opinion, it's what you make of it. First of all, there is so much school pride here and you see it at football and hockey games or even just walking around campus. On an average day, you'd definitely see at least 4 or 5 people in your classes rocking BC apparel. I'm always proud to tell people that I go to Boston College and I think a lot people respect BC, especially around the Boston area. Now that I am a senior, I began to see the inconvenience of living kind of far away from the center of Boston. Since the T shuts down at 12:30 it is difficult to go into bars in Boston without a hefty cab fair ride back. But the beautiful campus makes up for this fact and there are also a few BC bars in Cleveland Circle that most BC students go to. One of things I love most about BC is the community and how much we care about our students development here There are so many different extracurricular activities that we can get involved in and build different communities within these activities. There is also a huge emphasis on service and giving back to the communities around us. Each year, we have more than 1000 students volunteering at different communities in Boston. The only problem on campus is the lack of racial interaction between white students and minority students. Even though there is high diversity (30% of students are minority or AHANA student), the two groups do not integrate very well together.

BC has about 200 student organizations and there are a lot of different types but I think one of the most popular are the service organization. Obviously students participate in a lot of intramural sports but service is a huge component of extracurricular. We have Appalachia Volunteers which send about 600 students down to the Appalachian region every year during spring break to build houses for Habitat for Humanity and to work in the communities. There are more than 30 service trip programs which sends students to different countries during winter break, summer and spring break to immerse them in a different country. There is over 1000 4boston volunteers, 100 of Loyola volunteers just to name a few of the popular service organization at BC. It is difficult at BC to not volunteer at least once when you're at BC for 4 years. The AHANA community (minority students) is also extremely active on campus and I think show the most presence through the cultural clubs, everyone knows that cultural clubs are pretty intense at BC, especially if you're on an E-board. Besides these popular extracurricular activities, students really take advantage of our location close to Boston. People take weekend trips to the commons and the MFA regularly and we even have shuttles that take students there sometimes. We have a program called "BC to Boston" that provide cheap tickets to shows like Blueman group and the Nutcraker. However, on football weekends, most students are tailgating and weekend nights are often filled with parties and drinking. It's hard to find a quiet spot on campus besides maybe a freshman dorm.

Students are BC are ALWAYS on the move, whether it is for school work, sports, extracurricular activities, volunteering or partying. We like to keep ourselves busy during the week and party hard on the weekends. Everyone is ACTIVELY involved in at least 2 or 3 organizations on top of classes and they take a lot of pride in their extracurricular activities. We go above and beyond for our clubs and I've seen this whenever we have intercollegiate events. I would say this is true for the majority of students. As for racially, like I said before, there is not a lot of interaction between racial groups but it's improving. I myself have 2 different groups of friends, my Asian friends from my culture club and my white friends (roommates, classmates etc..) Contrary to popular beliefs, there actually are many LGBT students here, in fact I have a few gay friends and there are support groups on campus for LGBT students. The students here are also separated by the school they're in, CSOM, A&S, LYNCH and NURSING. CSOM are the business students with no hearts, A&S are the humanities, LYNCH are the future teachers and NURSING--well are future nurses. I think the core courses bring the students from different school together but there are definitely certain personalities associated with each one.

BC has a HUGE core requirement that includes like 15 courses or something like that if you don't have any AP credits. These core classes are generally pretty big and pretty boring but they really do help you narrow your focus if you have no idea what to study when you first enter college. I think one of the best programs we have is the Cornerstone classes as well as the PULSE and Perspective programs. Cornerstone classes are first year seminars that help freshmen learn about themselves and their vocation as well as learning how to navigate college. It makes students take time out to reflect about their experiences in college and think deeper about their studies. The PULSE program is my favorite class so far. It is a service-learning course that knocks out the 2 theology and 2 philosophy core requirements in one course over 2 semesters in conjunction with 10-12 hours of service. It is by far one of the most popular program that everyone tries to sign up for besides Perspectives (which also knocks out the theology and philosophy core without the service component). But PULSE is special because it connects philosophy text to current life and with the service we do in the communities around us. It was PULSE that helped me find my vocation and future career path. I can also say that every single PULSE professor is loved by their students and they care so much for their students on personal levels that I don't think other programs have. Some professors even invite students over for dinners. We have things like "Professor and Pastries" where students can just come and chat with professors over coffee and desserts. One of the complaints I have about our academic system is the academic advising. We really don't have any besides your adviser giving you the access code to register for classes, at least that's been my experience so far.

Everyone sees Boston College as a preppy rich white Catholic school with lots of jocks and pretty people. People think that all BC students look the same with our Northface fleece, Uggs boots and Jcrew cardigans. BC is seen as a white school lacking racial diversity as well as sexual orientation. We also have a reputation as a party school and the slogan is "work hard and party harder". To a certain extent, a lot of the stereotypes are true. The majority of the school is white students from generally affluent backgrounds. Since we're a Division I school, there are a lot of jocks and athletes. A lot of the people here dress pretty preppy but you also see students in sweatpants and hoodies all the time. I like to say that sure we seem like mindless models from Jcrew catalogs, we also have brains and really good hearts. What most people do not talk about BC is how extensive our curriculum is focused on service and the community. Many students here are not just mindless jocks, but are compassionate people; you just have to kind of choose your friends wisely.

Terrance

The Boston College student population is definitely not large in comparison to many other universities in the US. That being said, there are enough students in every class to have a fair balance between friends and strangers on campus. School spirit at BC is incredible: students are sure to attend football games throughout the fall as well as support our championship winning hockey team. Even if you're not a big sports fanatic, taking time to see these great teams is an amazing experience here at BC.

Typically, students at Boston College are, in some form, involved in athletics. Whether this is through a club/varsity sport or simply joining an intramural team, there is a pretty big social standard with staying fit and hitting the gym. Overall, BC students take both their academics and health very seriously.

Sam

BC's a great place. But like any other thing, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Me not a fan of a lot of kids here/ their respective demeanors. BUT, there really are some fantastic teachers and opportunities. I can only speak from the departments that I've most profligated (English numero uno) from, but really just lovely and kind people all around that often more times than not, have your best interest at heart and really passionate about their subject and teaching. And their are a number of kids that I've really grown to love. And again, this school or any other will have an adjustment period - you'll eventually find the people and topics that excite you - they're at every school, just a matter of how long it takes to find them/ how comfortable you are searching them out.

Most prominent, white bros/ white kids that like to drink. If you can't go to a FL school for good looking XX's, then come here - if that's your priority. Lots of body image building (issues?). Lots of meatheads, also lots of incredibly tight girls. Any black guy is usually on a sports team. Sounds terribly stereotyping, but good god, does BC milk the talent. Basically, its image of itself as a athletic contender and academic contender are more often than not mutually exclusive. Mostly, the bulk of the student body is involved in themselves (pun! - ha!). But I think that's just as much an issue of growing up than anything. If you're a smarty pants/ minority that feels a slight slighted around bulging white men or really sultry white girls, maybe BC's not your school. But if you're relatively secure with your physicality - go for it

I've not had any problems with the academics - though I be a poor model to go off of. Je suis brilliant, but also incredibly lazy

We're a school with white kids and white kid problems. Little more removed from the assumed prep school - not that bad - but a lot of kids are not so right at foresight and the like. They don't think much beyond themselves. Not all of the kids are like this, but I'd say the bulk are more (subconsciously) concerned with themselves/ their niched, than exploring/ developing their humanity

Overall, I think Boston College is a great institution. Most students graduate with a top-notch education. The professors and classes are truly exceptional. I was raised Catholic, and I found the Catholic tradition of BC to be very comforting at times. However, I think the religion of the university both alienated many non-Catholic students, and created a significant amount of red tape for student activists. Boston College is an excellent size; big enough that you don't feel like you're in a fish bowl, but small enough that you feel like you're a member of a cohesive community. Also, the location is fantastic. The campus has a more suburban location, with direct access to the city via the MBTA. As a Division I school, athletics are a big part of campus life. The school goes crazy during home football games. This was generally a wonderful part of my time at Boston College, but it was also frustrating to feel as though athletics took priority over academics and the arts. Finally, like most private universities, Boston College is really expensive. I wish a Boston College education could be financially accessible to more people.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Hard-core students often camp out in the beautiful Hogwarts-esque Bapst library, but the O'Neill library was always my favorite place to go! Don't let it's cold, 1970's exterior fool you, there are plenty of cozy spots to snuggle up in an study for hours.

As a Division I school, athletics are very popular at Boston College. Many students are avid sports fans, and I knew quite a few people who participated in intramural or recreational sports. Many arts-based organizations are active on campus as well, including dance groups, a cappella groups, and theatrical groups. Every spring, BC hosts its annual Arts Festival, a three-day event during which various student groups perform on a stage in the middle of the campus plaza. This was always one of my favorite events. There are also a variety of other student activities at BC, including religious groups and service clubs, though these seemed to attract less attention.

Students at Boston College often fall into the stereotype of the "rich, white kid who studies hard, but parties harder." As a student who often preferred a quiet night in to a riotous night on the town, I often felt as though students at BC were generally stupid, drunk, and disrespectful. However, come Monday morning, I would be reminded that the people around me were actually intelligent human beings who seemed to care about other people quite a bit. I suppose I'm trying to impress upon prospective Boston College students the sometimes blatant dichotomy between students when they're partying on the weekend at students when they're actually in class or participating in a service project. Often times, people seemed hypocritical or "two-faced," much in the same way the administration was hypocritical with regards to its Catholic traditions. Most students seem to be politically moderate, though there was not a significant amount of political activism by students. Perhaps because of its Catholic tradition, Boston College did not seem to have an especially large LGBT population (although I did encounter a lot of LGBT individuals through my participation in theatrical productions). Many students at BC are from Massachusetts, but I would guess that the majority of students were from out of state (I'm originally from Oregon).

No matter where you decide to attend college, you will get out of your studies what you put into it. If you choose to take easy classes and breeze through, you will probably still graduate, but you won't have much knowledge or skills to show for it. At Boston College, there are lots of opportunities to challenge yourself. In general, I found the faculty and available courses to be truly exceptional. Some academic departments are stronger than others, but I think that's probably true of most educational institutions. Boston College does have extensive core requirements, which means that students must have a certain number of credits in a variety of specific subjects (English, math, history, theology, philosophy, science, etc) in order to graduate. While this requires students to take courses they might not otherwise take, it can seriously limit your freedom to take things you're really interested in. Also, because fulfilling the core requirements often eats up a significant portion of your schedule, pursuing a double major is sometimes out of the question.

I think Boston College students are frequently stereotyped as rich, white kids who like to party hard. Everyone walks around campus wearing Ugg boots and Northface jackets. Also, because our athletic teams are well known, there is a stereotype of BC students as very athletic and physically fit. Like most stereotypes, the ones about BC students are partially based on truth, but there is a lot more diversity at BC than is often perceived at first glance.

Adrian

How different was college going to be from the small high school I was studying in Ponce, PR. Since most of my classmates were focused on enrolling universities in PR, my advisor knew very little about what was like to study in mainland US. I would have liked to know how was the enviroment around BC and the city of Boston. I wish I had known what did a NCAA team was, what was like living in a dorm, how were classes like, how cullturally diverse BC was and what was like to live in a city like Boston.

The people. Being able to share and listen to experiences with the BC community has transformed my way to see thw world. Although BC is not as diverse as other universities, I have befriended people from all over the world. My friends from Spain, Venezuela, Kuwait, Peru, Brasil and the US have taught me how to understand people coming from different backgrounds. Furthermore, professors are very willing to talk and advice students on whatever issue arises. The non-teaching staff is also a very important resource at BC. I feel that I am sourrounded by a caring and unique community.

If I were advising my high school self I would talk about various things. The first thing would how alcohol plays an important role in college. Drinking alcohol in Puerto Rico is one thing, but alcohol consumption in college is a whole different thing. “Beer Pong”, “Slap the hoe” and “Kings” were some of the concepts I wish I knew about. I would tell my young self to be careful about those uncertain activities. Secondly, I would advice myself about the dating scene. College is a place where relationships are bound to happen, but it is not all a bed of roses. Some people in college did not defined “relationship” as I did. Some relationships lasted a day, a week, and if you were lucky, a month or two. Third, I would have wanted to know about the importance of experience. Work, volunteer, social and academic experiences are essential to college life. It was not until sophomore year that I discovered what college was about. I just wished someone who had told me: “Adrian, you do not know everything in life. Listen”. Experience was a good professor, but I wished I had some guidance or direction just before college started.

Rachelle

If I could go back to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself not to allow others to belittle me because of the person I am. I would, also, tell myself that it is okay to ask others, specifically teachers, for help on work when you need it because that does not mean you're dumb. I would, also, encourage myself to go talk the counselor at least once a week because there are going to be times when things are going to be hectic and appear to be hard to handle. So, having someone to talk to without judgement is a good way to release repented feelings. I would tell myseld to open up a little more because there are some wonderful people and friendships that you might miss out on. Lastly, I would tell myself to have more faith in God because ultimately he is the deciding factor to everything; without God in your life you will never be able to gain the amount of success that you would like.

A person who does not find enjoyment in drinking, a person who does mind getting look at like an alien for looking different and a person who doesn't like to feel like they're constantly competing with others even their friends.

Get as good grades as possible not just to get by because they do matter . It will help you get scholarships and succed at college an in the future By helping you learn the material better and being mentally and physically ready for college

Oh hey, didn't see you there. So you might be wondering what I am doing here, an image of your former self. As a high school senior, you have been anticipating the life changing events to come with your entrance into college, the time for new beginnings. Well hate to break it to you sweetheart, but it isn't the easiest or prettiest time for us. Knowing what I know now, while acknowledging the uncertainty of the future, I have to advise you to disregard the feelings you have inside that make you believe that you are not good enough for your peers, your professors, your school. Your insecurities have caused your to ruin countless of relationships, not to mention your own self-image. Acknowledge and embrace the person you are, rather than trying to become the person you think they want you to be. Trust me when I say that all that anyone will ever want from you is you. Some will prove to be lifelong friends, while others will just be a dim memory in your life. Either way just let yourself go, open up and trust those around you.

The worst thing about my school is the feeling of being alone in a huge school

I wish that I had known about the importance students give money on campus such as dress and status.

Hanna

I would encourage myself to be more prepared when it came time to move onto college, perhaps even taking classes at the local community college while still enrolled in high school. It is a far bigger transition than one would assume, especially coming from a home-schooled background. Talk to the professors and other students before enrolling in courses is one of the most beneficial things that I have found to prevent problems later. Getting into a program like honors or Phi Theta Kappa early on will make the time spent in college far more beneficial, even if it is at a small community college. It’s intimidating coming in as a freshman, but the quicker you get over your fear of the upperclassmen, the better; they are often the best sources of advice you can find outside of the councilors’ office.

Andrew

My advice to my younger self would be to try. Never be afriad of failing and just strive to complete every task that is laid before him. In high school i found it easier to just coast through; to just get the grades I needed to pass not to really concern myself with trying to exceed expectations. Now that I am older i have learned that if I had performed at the potential that all my teachers around me told me that I had perhaps I would have had things work out more in my favor. starting college seven years after graduating high school i can now see just how important all those lesson I chose to ignore really were. If I could go back and do it all over again I would; I now really understand the old saying " If I knew then, what I know now." The important thing though is not to dwell on past events but rather to be ready for the future and to actually practice that changes you would have made.

Boston College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.