Chestnut Hill, MA
Boston College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston College

Overall, I think Boston College is a great institution. Most students graduate with a top-notch education. The professors and classes are truly exceptional. I was raised Catholic, and I found the Catholic tradition of BC to be very comforting at times. However, I think the religion of the university both alienated many non-Catholic students, and created a significant amount of red tape for student activists. Boston College is an excellent size; big enough that you don't feel like you're in a fish bowl, but small enough that you feel like you're a member of a cohesive community. Also, the location is fantastic. The campus has a more suburban location, with direct access to the city via the MBTA. As a Division I school, athletics are a big part of campus life. The school goes crazy during home football games. This was generally a wonderful part of my time at Boston College, but it was also frustrating to feel as though athletics took priority over academics and the arts. Finally, like most private universities, Boston College is really expensive. I wish a Boston College education could be financially accessible to more people.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Hard-core students often camp out in the beautiful Hogwarts-esque Bapst library, but the O'Neill library was always my favorite place to go! Don't let it's cold, 1970's exterior fool you, there are plenty of cozy spots to snuggle up in an study for hours.

As a Division I school, athletics are very popular at Boston College. Many students are avid sports fans, and I knew quite a few people who participated in intramural or recreational sports. Many arts-based organizations are active on campus as well, including dance groups, a cappella groups, and theatrical groups. Every spring, BC hosts its annual Arts Festival, a three-day event during which various student groups perform on a stage in the middle of the campus plaza. This was always one of my favorite events. There are also a variety of other student activities at BC, including religious groups and service clubs, though these seemed to attract less attention.

Students at Boston College often fall into the stereotype of the "rich, white kid who studies hard, but parties harder." As a student who often preferred a quiet night in to a riotous night on the town, I often felt as though students at BC were generally stupid, drunk, and disrespectful. However, come Monday morning, I would be reminded that the people around me were actually intelligent human beings who seemed to care about other people quite a bit. I suppose I'm trying to impress upon prospective Boston College students the sometimes blatant dichotomy between students when they're partying on the weekend at students when they're actually in class or participating in a service project. Often times, people seemed hypocritical or "two-faced," much in the same way the administration was hypocritical with regards to its Catholic traditions. Most students seem to be politically moderate, though there was not a significant amount of political activism by students. Perhaps because of its Catholic tradition, Boston College did not seem to have an especially large LGBT population (although I did encounter a lot of LGBT individuals through my participation in theatrical productions). Many students at BC are from Massachusetts, but I would guess that the majority of students were from out of state (I'm originally from Oregon).

No matter where you decide to attend college, you will get out of your studies what you put into it. If you choose to take easy classes and breeze through, you will probably still graduate, but you won't have much knowledge or skills to show for it. At Boston College, there are lots of opportunities to challenge yourself. In general, I found the faculty and available courses to be truly exceptional. Some academic departments are stronger than others, but I think that's probably true of most educational institutions. Boston College does have extensive core requirements, which means that students must have a certain number of credits in a variety of specific subjects (English, math, history, theology, philosophy, science, etc) in order to graduate. While this requires students to take courses they might not otherwise take, it can seriously limit your freedom to take things you're really interested in. Also, because fulfilling the core requirements often eats up a significant portion of your schedule, pursuing a double major is sometimes out of the question.

I think Boston College students are frequently stereotyped as rich, white kids who like to party hard. Everyone walks around campus wearing Ugg boots and Northface jackets. Also, because our athletic teams are well known, there is a stereotype of BC students as very athletic and physically fit. Like most stereotypes, the ones about BC students are partially based on truth, but there is a lot more diversity at BC than is often perceived at first glance.

Adrian

How different was college going to be from the small high school I was studying in Ponce, PR. Since most of my classmates were focused on enrolling universities in PR, my advisor knew very little about what was like to study in mainland US. I would have liked to know how was the enviroment around BC and the city of Boston. I wish I had known what did a NCAA team was, what was like living in a dorm, how were classes like, how cullturally diverse BC was and what was like to live in a city like Boston.

The people. Being able to share and listen to experiences with the BC community has transformed my way to see thw world. Although BC is not as diverse as other universities, I have befriended people from all over the world. My friends from Spain, Venezuela, Kuwait, Peru, Brasil and the US have taught me how to understand people coming from different backgrounds. Furthermore, professors are very willing to talk and advice students on whatever issue arises. The non-teaching staff is also a very important resource at BC. I feel that I am sourrounded by a caring and unique community.

If I were advising my high school self I would talk about various things. The first thing would how alcohol plays an important role in college. Drinking alcohol in Puerto Rico is one thing, but alcohol consumption in college is a whole different thing. “Beer Pong”, “Slap the hoe” and “Kings” were some of the concepts I wish I knew about. I would tell my young self to be careful about those uncertain activities. Secondly, I would advice myself about the dating scene. College is a place where relationships are bound to happen, but it is not all a bed of roses. Some people in college did not defined “relationship” as I did. Some relationships lasted a day, a week, and if you were lucky, a month or two. Third, I would have wanted to know about the importance of experience. Work, volunteer, social and academic experiences are essential to college life. It was not until sophomore year that I discovered what college was about. I just wished someone who had told me: “Adrian, you do not know everything in life. Listen”. Experience was a good professor, but I wished I had some guidance or direction just before college started.

Rachelle

If I could go back to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself not to allow others to belittle me because of the person I am. I would, also, tell myself that it is okay to ask others, specifically teachers, for help on work when you need it because that does not mean you're dumb. I would, also, encourage myself to go talk the counselor at least once a week because there are going to be times when things are going to be hectic and appear to be hard to handle. So, having someone to talk to without judgement is a good way to release repented feelings. I would tell myseld to open up a little more because there are some wonderful people and friendships that you might miss out on. Lastly, I would tell myself to have more faith in God because ultimately he is the deciding factor to everything; without God in your life you will never be able to gain the amount of success that you would like.

A person who does not find enjoyment in drinking, a person who does mind getting look at like an alien for looking different and a person who doesn't like to feel like they're constantly competing with others even their friends.

Get as good grades as possible not just to get by because they do matter . It will help you get scholarships and succed at college an in the future By helping you learn the material better and being mentally and physically ready for college

Oh hey, didn't see you there. So you might be wondering what I am doing here, an image of your former self. As a high school senior, you have been anticipating the life changing events to come with your entrance into college, the time for new beginnings. Well hate to break it to you sweetheart, but it isn't the easiest or prettiest time for us. Knowing what I know now, while acknowledging the uncertainty of the future, I have to advise you to disregard the feelings you have inside that make you believe that you are not good enough for your peers, your professors, your school. Your insecurities have caused your to ruin countless of relationships, not to mention your own self-image. Acknowledge and embrace the person you are, rather than trying to become the person you think they want you to be. Trust me when I say that all that anyone will ever want from you is you. Some will prove to be lifelong friends, while others will just be a dim memory in your life. Either way just let yourself go, open up and trust those around you.

The worst thing about my school is the feeling of being alone in a huge school

I wish that I had known about the importance students give money on campus such as dress and status.

Hanna

I would encourage myself to be more prepared when it came time to move onto college, perhaps even taking classes at the local community college while still enrolled in high school. It is a far bigger transition than one would assume, especially coming from a home-schooled background. Talk to the professors and other students before enrolling in courses is one of the most beneficial things that I have found to prevent problems later. Getting into a program like honors or Phi Theta Kappa early on will make the time spent in college far more beneficial, even if it is at a small community college. It’s intimidating coming in as a freshman, but the quicker you get over your fear of the upperclassmen, the better; they are often the best sources of advice you can find outside of the councilors’ office.

Andrew

My advice to my younger self would be to try. Never be afriad of failing and just strive to complete every task that is laid before him. In high school i found it easier to just coast through; to just get the grades I needed to pass not to really concern myself with trying to exceed expectations. Now that I am older i have learned that if I had performed at the potential that all my teachers around me told me that I had perhaps I would have had things work out more in my favor. starting college seven years after graduating high school i can now see just how important all those lesson I chose to ignore really were. If I could go back and do it all over again I would; I now really understand the old saying " If I knew then, what I know now." The important thing though is not to dwell on past events but rather to be ready for the future and to actually practice that changes you would have made.

Joseph

Boston College has the unique ability to maximize each and every student's potential. The core classes develop a balance in the way students think. Philosophy, history, foreign language, theology, social science and natural science classes will create a well-rounded schedule, as well as many different views of the world. Being able to see matters from multiple points of view is infinitely valuable - and Boston College helps students realize this. Many top students go through the motions in their variety of high school classes, but at Boston College they will apply their knowledge in various fields.

Boston College has few weaknesses, although students often pick apart minor issues. The availability of parking is poor, but then again, the train to Boston runs through campus and where else do we need to go? Losers in the housing lottery are just as likely to lose again next year. It gets uncomfortably warm in the gym, but who goes there without anticipating breaking a sweat? And of course, tuition is insanely high. The school is not perfect, but what is? Some students get too caught up in these minor details and forget how fortunate they are to attend BC.

College is not high school. Seriously. Wave goodbye to coordinate planes, "Lord of the Flies," and all the dates of battles you memorized for US History. College will transform you from that mindless robot who crammed vocabulary words the night before the exam. Instead, courses will require you to actively think. Yeah, I said "think." Believe it or not, you might even question the things you learn (I cannot tell you how many times I wished I could debate with Freud). Eventually, you will develop a "terministic screen" (that's a $50 word!) through which you will see the world. Everything will relate to economics or biology or phsyics. It is up to you to decide how you like to see the world, and in turn, what you want to study. I could try to scare you with the old "you'll get your first C" line, but that's too cliche. Maybe you will get a C, but you'll also learn psychology wasn't for you. Finding your interests is the first step. Next step: read, take notes, think, question, apply. Tenth-grade geometry may not have entertained you, but something in college will - and that's exciting!

alexandra

a great experience to learn in my field of study and get practical experience. great place to make new friends.

student who are wiling to work and study hard.

to continue to work with younger children. I am absolutely in love with elemtary education and feel my abilities and dedication will enable me to be an outstanding teacher.

Zachary

My college education has thusfar exposed me to experiences that I have never had previously, and has truly inspired me. Whether it be sharing a room among four people, participating in fascinating discussions with my peers and professors alike, or any number of other new enterprises, I have found it all very enjoyable. My favorite activity so far, was a retreat that i attended with a group of about 150 freshmen called 48 Hours. On this retreat, known all accross campus for being a must as a freshmen experience, we heard testimonies from current seniors about their transitions into college life. They all had wonderfully inspiring stories about their early struggles, and the ways in which they were able to turn their lives around. It really got me thinking about my own misgivings about my transitions, but in such a way that I felt comfortable hearing that I was certainly not alone. The conversations with other freshmen afterwards were equally humbling, and i felt a real connection with people who were complete strangers only the day before. This experience captures the mentality here at BC, and has proven that my experience has been and will continue to be invaluable.

A person who cares about having a well-rounded education at a liberal arts university and simultaneously having a the opportunity to have a great social life should attend BC. The core requirements ensure that students attain a plethora of knowledge if many different fields of academic interest. Also, BC provides a rigorous workload to those willing to undertake it, and getting the most of out a college education is a goal shared by all here. People are generally very friendly, and encourage interaction between students, in terms of academic collaboration, sports, and more.

I brag about the quality of the students here at BC. Everyone is treated with universal respect, and people are always willing to lend a hand or an ear if you have a problem or a concern. The students at BC are constantly involved with helping one another as well as the community, as well as urging their friends, and ever complete strangers, to join the cause. Academically, people appear to be on a level playing field, which prevents me from feeling overshadowed, but still provides a healthy sense of competition to meet the standards of a BC student.

Boston College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.