Chestnut Hill, MA
Boston College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston College

I completed my freshman year at Salve Regina University and I transferred to Boston College for the fall semester my sophomore year. Making the transition was difficult, but end result made it worth it. Deciding to transfer was the biggest risk in the past nineteen years of my life. I am more of a reserved student, so deciding to transfer was a risk that I never predicted myself to take on. I decided to transfer to a school where I knew no one, and the nerves I was feeling the summer before I moved in almost made me change my mind. As I'm sitting here in my dorm room at Boston College off of Commonwealth Avenue and not my dorm room overlooking the ocean in Newport, Rhode Island, I could not be happier that I followed through with my decision. Although I exchanged ocean views for fall foliage, Boston College has more to offer than I have time for. I have joined the Appalachia Volunteers Group, Undergraduate Government of Boston College, and I have applied for a summer abroad trip to Greece. All in all, the opportunities in Chestnut Hill will lead me to a successful career and life.

The person who should attend this school is one who will not be intimidated by the "geeks" and "nerds" because quite frankly, everyone is smart at Boston College. One must be ready to be academically challenged in all of their courses; earning an A doesn't come easy, but if one puts in the effort, one will succeed.

The best thing about Boston College is the diversity of students and extra curricular activities. Students come from all of the country and all over the world. The diversity of students gives students the opportunity to broaden their horizons. There is also such a diversity of clubs with such a great emphasis on service. One can get involved in service trips to the Appalachian region of America or international places such as Ghana, Jamaica, South Africa, Belize and the Dominican Republic.

Marvie

The very first college experience I had was held at Cascade Medical School. My course at Cascade Medical School was to recieve my certified nursing assistant 1 (CNA1) certificate which is required by law to be an official CNA. The required CNA1 training program is a minimum of 75 hours of classroom and 75 hours of clinical training, which I have already completed in a duration of one full month. My first college experience was somewhat similar with my high school years because the time spent in both school was equal to 8 hours a day. In my 75 hours of clinical training, I performed duties that were within the scope of practice of a CNA1 at a small assisted living facility. I was able to learn how to assist clients with their daily living activities, such as bathing, dressing, transferring, ambulating, feeding and toileting. I also performed tasks such as measuring vital signs, positioning and range of motion. From what I have experienced in my schooling, I realized that I have a passion to work with people who are in need, especially those who are ill. That is why is has been valuable to attend Cascade Medical School.

Georgia

While there are a lot of classmates at this school, it never gets overwhelming, and you will always be able to find those people who you can connect with the most.

I am only a sophomore in college right now, but I have experiened so much more than I ever could have imagined. Not only do you come out with a great education, as all of us here at Boston College will, but also with something even more valuable than that. I have experienced love, friendship, jealousy, heartbreak, trust, stress, fun, compassion, and service. College is certainly not all fun and games, but it provides you with experiences that you can learn from every day, and become a better person thereafter.

Cayce

Boston College is a diverse, Jesuit community where each and every student is a leader in the classroom, on the field, or in their hometown. In regard to strictly the physical location of the campus, Boston College is located in a suburbian Chestnut Hill, MA, just minutes from a plethora of opportunities and forms of entertainment in the world's most passionate city. Ironically, BC is neither a college (it is a university), nor is it in the city of Boston, and there is no other school like that.

Having only been a full-time student at Boston College for three weeks and four days, I would be entirely too ignorant to even attempt placing a value or worth to my college education and experience thus far. However, though it has been such a short while that this campus has embraced me as one of its own, I find that already I call it my second home. I am able to thrive in whichever way I choose, but also guided and directed to paths I might have missed, had they not been pointed out to me. The best example of this is that I have become a member of the Men's Crew Team, a sport that before coming to Boston College, I would have never had the opportunity to enjoy. Here, I am able to chase my dream of becoming a college English professor while knowing it is a possible reality, more and more each day. In short, I intend to get out of Boston College everything of value it has to offer during my four-year attendance; and as of now, that seems to be absolutely everything I could ever want or need from a college experience.

Paul

My favorite thing about BC was the people. I met such a great group of interesting people during my four years. We bonded while we studied for classes and while we partied together. I came from a small high school and never felt very popular, but at BC, I really felt like I encountered different many circles of people and made tons of deep friendships along the way. I biggest pet peeve about BC was "the Plex", our student athletic complex. It is this hideous thirty year old building designed when the student body was much smaller. The place is always overcrowded and in need of repairs. It should really be torn down and rebuilt to double its size. BU's facilities always made BC students jealous.

At BC, many of the minority students formed distinct cliques and separated themselves. I never had much chance to interact with these cliques. The minority students that didn't participate in this self-imposed segregation were always fun and welcome among us. My group of friends was made of people from lots of ethnicities, income brackets, and sexual orientations. I never thought my friends excluded anybody. I think someone who hates sports is most out of place at BC. It is really difficult find a place at BC if you don't enjoy going to a football game. We are such a sporty campus that someone unwilling to participate in that may easily feel alienated.

I really thought BC was a perfect fit for me and I am very grateful that I learned a lot about it before I made my decision. Make sure you think that BC will be that great fit for you too. All the people that I ever talked to who said they chose BC because it was the best academic program but didn't consider the campus culture eventually transferred. It is definitely about important to know both.

Let me describe some qualities of the majority of the BC population. The first thing is that the student body is preppy. There is a large percentage of guys who wear polo shirts (with popped collars), chinos, and leather flip-flops all year round. There are also a great number of girls who dress like something out of an Abercrombie advertisement everyday. While this is very visible, there are still a great number of people who wear sweats and t-shirts 95% of the time, so casual wear is very common. If you are hipster, punk, or anything else outside the box, you will find others like you few and far between. I remember seeing people who dressed funkier their first months slowly dull down their personal styles to fit the general populous. The second characterization describes the student body as children of upper-middle class who are self-centered. For the most part the students do come from upper-middle and middle class families. This lends itself to children who went to good high schools and who haven’t been through any times of struggle, so it is easy to think that they are all self-centered. Although lots of people you will meet will be somewhat self-involved, they can still be great people. Most of my friends at BC had elements of self-centeredness, but if anyone ever gave me any trouble, they were always the first people to stand up and support me. In return, I would do the same for any of them without hesitation. With respect to everyone being from the Northeast, I would have to agree. Most people are from New England, New York, and Chicago. Despite this, I had good friends from California, Germany, Japan, Maryland, Missouri, Singapore, and Virginia, so the campus is somewhat geographically diverse. Also, BC is truly a sporty school. It is ranked one of the fittest campuses in the US and most students are big supporters of BC athletics. The football games are renowned and quite the spectacle (although we nearly never rush the field). Although I liked the sporty environment, I could imagine it would be difficult to enjoy BC if you dislike sports. Saturdays during football season are so focused on the game that everything else is put aside. I remember one girl who didn’t like sports at all and typically went home every home game weekend freshman and sophomore year. Since she never really connected with the environment at BC or too many of the students, she eventually transferred. The last stereotype of BC is that there isn’t much diversity. Speaking of the ethnic diversity at BC, I think that this statement oversimplifies it. There is a proportionate number of students from Asian and pacific island countries, but blacks and Latinos are underrepresented. These students may feel alienated because of this. BC’s AHANA Students Programs Office helps to support these students. They do a great deal of good work, but it is an ongoing effort. Another underrepresented group at BC are gays. The gay community is very small and excluded from receiving direct funding from the administration. The administration tiptoes around the gay students because supporting them would conflict the religious background of the school. Because of this, I think it unfortunately takes a more self-confident minority student to thrive at BC. Although I believe the school could do more for minority students, I don’t think the administration reflects the student body. Almost everyone is accepting and welcoming of any student regardless of race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation.

I was a chemistry major, so I took many of the same classes as the really competitive pre-med students. These classes are huge lecture based classes thus making faculty interaction minimal. Most of the chemistry department never bothered to learn anything about their students. One standout was Steve Bruner. His classes always were interesting and he made an effort to remember anyone who came to visit him at his office. I also was a math minor, which I loved. I thought the math department was great. I loved each of my professors.

There is probably a club for anything you could want. There are clubs for every hobby and sport. You can also get involved in lots of groups if you are passionate about a certain political or social cause. Students often meet their friends through their dorm situations, through classes, or while partying. I met my friends through a mixture of all three. Freshman year really put everyone on top of one another so that we could bond however worked best for each of us. I continued living with my freshman roommate throughout all four years and we are still in touch. The other people I lived near freshman year became my other roommates and it all grew from there. Partying is a big part of campus life at BC. We all work very hard during the week and we all want to unwind by Friday night. Partying is usually only on the weekends, but by senior year the definition of weekend may blur into Thursday or Monday. Once you have been at BC for a month, you will inevitably know someone who is having a party every Friday and Saturday night. Although we don't have a greek culture, I think that allows us to branch out more often and interact with more fun and interesting people. If you don't drink, life is still fun. I had friends who never drank at BC and still joined us at every event that we went to. Nobody should feel pressure to drink if they don't want to and most people respect someone else's decision.

Let me describe some stereotypes of the BC population. The first thing is that the student body is preppy. The people are self-centered upper-middle class kids from the Northeast. BC is also a very sport centered school. Another big stereotype is that there is very little diversity.

Court

BC is Jesuit-Catholic, and I think it's our best feature. We encourage diversity of all kinds (religious, ethnic, racial, socioeconomic, geographic, etc etc) and all students are encouraged to discuss and learn about each other's differences because that type of dialogue is what makes us more aware of the world beyond the Boston bubble. BC's location is ideal, as we have the traditional campus AND the best college city in the States right next door. There's always something to do on the weekends, the sports are incredible, the study abroad programs are AMAZING, and, most importantly, the education you'll receive here is invaluable.

Students from all 50 states and 60 countries! Out of 6 girls in my room, I was the only in-state student. Coming from a very homogeneous town, I was very pleased with the diversity on all levels that I encountered at BC. Students are involved in so many different things (newspapers, singing groups, athletics, dance groups, religious clubs, service programs, work-study jobs, etc etc etc) that there's never a dull moment (and very few dull students) on campus.

If I could do my 4 years again, I would in a HEARTBEAT. We Are BC!

The positive stereotypes are, and while there are always a couple rich snobs running around every elite, private, expensive institution, the vast majority of Boston College students are down-to-earth, hyper-involved, incredibly intelligent, and very passionate about what they are studying and what they are involved in.

While there are certainly some students who slack off, they're only hurting themselves. BC is a tough academic institution, and if you want to be at the top of the hiring pool or readily admissible by the best graduate/law/medical programs in the nation, then you better work-work-work during your four years here! The type of work you have depends on your major (I wrote a LOT of papers), and if you plan your time properly and manage your reading and assignments, you'll never have to miss a football game or pull an all-nighter.

Rich, snobby, from the Northeast, alums or legacies, more focus on partying than on academics. Positive "stereotypes" are the emphasis on service and student involvement in it, friendly and welcoming, and work-hard/play-hard.

Casi

My college experience has been an unusual one thus far. I am 18 years old; I just graduated from both my high school and my town's community college. I received an Associates of Arts degree before I received my high school diploma. The experiences I have had during the past two years at the community college were some that I will always value. I have learned how to be self-sufficient in managing my time, and I have learned how to think ahead and envision the future and plan accordingly. My college experience has also given me a sense of appreciation for my position in life. There are many teenagers who never graduate high school, yet I have graduated from two schools in one month. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity I have been blessed with. For many years, I have taken for granted the fact that I am so blessed, but through this experience I have seen that there is much given to me that others cannot experience.

Claudia

Boston College is a great size that offers great opportunities for students to interact with faculty. The campus is extremely safe as is the neighborhood.

By attending Boston College, I have learned how to interact and work with people who come from different backgrounds than myself. When I chose Boston College, I knew that the general student population was not a reflection of people I typically surrounded myself with. Through participating in programs such as the Shaw Leadership Program, I have learned how to relate to people from all backgrounds and socioeconomic levels. I now feel comfortable carrying a conversation with someone who holds different views and I now find that the people I associate myself with are very diverse. I have grown tremendously due to the fact that BC is very far from my home, allowing myself to explore an entirely knew area of the country. I have been able to grow more at BC than I would have had I chosen a school close to home. I am thankful for this opportunity to live in a different state, because I do not know when else I would have gotten the chance to travel to places throughout New England. I feel extremely privaledged to be at such an excellent private university in an environment where I constantly feel pushed to question my identity.

It is difficult to be an extremely liberal or environmental person at Boston College. This is not to say that you should not attend this school, but I am warning you that it is not the most receptive to liberal or environmental ideas. As a conservative school, there is still some opposition amongst students to open discussions of sexuality and sexual health, but students are working together and with the administration to change this.

I have not started college yet but I hope that it will give me a better since of independence. I am legally blind so I do have some challenges that I face when I do start school and feel that it will be a great learning oppertunity for me. This will also be the first time that I will be living on my own so it is scary and exciting at the same time.

Chae

Boston College is a highly selective university, and is one of the several Jesuit schools across the nation. It is a Catholic school, but note that your educational experience will in no way be hindered by your religious affiliation, or lack thereof - anyone is welcome . In terms of academia, Boston College is especially known for its reputable law program, which has its main base on BC's Newton Campus. BC is also well known for being a tight-knit community, and a great deal of school pride can be found within the student body. BC's key sport is football.

I was raised in a household that strongly advocated good education, and as such, I've always taken my position as a student seriously. From elementary school through high school, my modus operandi more or less consisted of studying hard. I earned decent grades, won approval from my teachers and parents, and that was that. Or course, success in school doesn't necessarily translate to success in the real world. One doesn't reach the height of life by just being studious - I learned that it college. Coming from that perspective, life at Boston College was a bizzare and novel experience. The students invested much time and energy into their academics, but that was the norm. Expected, even. The real clincher was how involved they were outside of their schoolwork. Time and time again, I was surprised by how vigorously they'd pursue jobs and interships, or how dedicated they were to their volunteer work. That was my wake up call - what am I doing? Booksmarts can only take me so far. It's time that I climbed out of that narrow box I've been sitting in, and really start taking the actions needed to make my future bright.

I wish I've known not to be such a nervous wreck! For whatever reason, it seems to be the norm for people to try and instill fear in highschool graduates about college. Too often, I've been subjected to talk about how college is ridiculously difficult, that newbies like me will surely struggle and crumple under the stress. Not true at all. Did college present a challenge for me? Of course, as it should. But it is definitely not something beyond my reach. Stay focused, study hard, and take your time there seriously - success is yours for the taking.

Boston College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.