Chestnut Hill, MA
Boston College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston College

Paul

My favorite thing about BC was the people. I met such a great group of interesting people during my four years. We bonded while we studied for classes and while we partied together. I came from a small high school and never felt very popular, but at BC, I really felt like I encountered different many circles of people and made tons of deep friendships along the way. I biggest pet peeve about BC was "the Plex", our student athletic complex. It is this hideous thirty year old building designed when the student body was much smaller. The place is always overcrowded and in need of repairs. It should really be torn down and rebuilt to double its size. BU's facilities always made BC students jealous.

At BC, many of the minority students formed distinct cliques and separated themselves. I never had much chance to interact with these cliques. The minority students that didn't participate in this self-imposed segregation were always fun and welcome among us. My group of friends was made of people from lots of ethnicities, income brackets, and sexual orientations. I never thought my friends excluded anybody. I think someone who hates sports is most out of place at BC. It is really difficult find a place at BC if you don't enjoy going to a football game. We are such a sporty campus that someone unwilling to participate in that may easily feel alienated.

I really thought BC was a perfect fit for me and I am very grateful that I learned a lot about it before I made my decision. Make sure you think that BC will be that great fit for you too. All the people that I ever talked to who said they chose BC because it was the best academic program but didn't consider the campus culture eventually transferred. It is definitely about important to know both.

Let me describe some qualities of the majority of the BC population. The first thing is that the student body is preppy. There is a large percentage of guys who wear polo shirts (with popped collars), chinos, and leather flip-flops all year round. There are also a great number of girls who dress like something out of an Abercrombie advertisement everyday. While this is very visible, there are still a great number of people who wear sweats and t-shirts 95% of the time, so casual wear is very common. If you are hipster, punk, or anything else outside the box, you will find others like you few and far between. I remember seeing people who dressed funkier their first months slowly dull down their personal styles to fit the general populous. The second characterization describes the student body as children of upper-middle class who are self-centered. For the most part the students do come from upper-middle and middle class families. This lends itself to children who went to good high schools and who haven’t been through any times of struggle, so it is easy to think that they are all self-centered. Although lots of people you will meet will be somewhat self-involved, they can still be great people. Most of my friends at BC had elements of self-centeredness, but if anyone ever gave me any trouble, they were always the first people to stand up and support me. In return, I would do the same for any of them without hesitation. With respect to everyone being from the Northeast, I would have to agree. Most people are from New England, New York, and Chicago. Despite this, I had good friends from California, Germany, Japan, Maryland, Missouri, Singapore, and Virginia, so the campus is somewhat geographically diverse. Also, BC is truly a sporty school. It is ranked one of the fittest campuses in the US and most students are big supporters of BC athletics. The football games are renowned and quite the spectacle (although we nearly never rush the field). Although I liked the sporty environment, I could imagine it would be difficult to enjoy BC if you dislike sports. Saturdays during football season are so focused on the game that everything else is put aside. I remember one girl who didn’t like sports at all and typically went home every home game weekend freshman and sophomore year. Since she never really connected with the environment at BC or too many of the students, she eventually transferred. The last stereotype of BC is that there isn’t much diversity. Speaking of the ethnic diversity at BC, I think that this statement oversimplifies it. There is a proportionate number of students from Asian and pacific island countries, but blacks and Latinos are underrepresented. These students may feel alienated because of this. BC’s AHANA Students Programs Office helps to support these students. They do a great deal of good work, but it is an ongoing effort. Another underrepresented group at BC are gays. The gay community is very small and excluded from receiving direct funding from the administration. The administration tiptoes around the gay students because supporting them would conflict the religious background of the school. Because of this, I think it unfortunately takes a more self-confident minority student to thrive at BC. Although I believe the school could do more for minority students, I don’t think the administration reflects the student body. Almost everyone is accepting and welcoming of any student regardless of race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation.

I was a chemistry major, so I took many of the same classes as the really competitive pre-med students. These classes are huge lecture based classes thus making faculty interaction minimal. Most of the chemistry department never bothered to learn anything about their students. One standout was Steve Bruner. His classes always were interesting and he made an effort to remember anyone who came to visit him at his office. I also was a math minor, which I loved. I thought the math department was great. I loved each of my professors.

There is probably a club for anything you could want. There are clubs for every hobby and sport. You can also get involved in lots of groups if you are passionate about a certain political or social cause. Students often meet their friends through their dorm situations, through classes, or while partying. I met my friends through a mixture of all three. Freshman year really put everyone on top of one another so that we could bond however worked best for each of us. I continued living with my freshman roommate throughout all four years and we are still in touch. The other people I lived near freshman year became my other roommates and it all grew from there. Partying is a big part of campus life at BC. We all work very hard during the week and we all want to unwind by Friday night. Partying is usually only on the weekends, but by senior year the definition of weekend may blur into Thursday or Monday. Once you have been at BC for a month, you will inevitably know someone who is having a party every Friday and Saturday night. Although we don't have a greek culture, I think that allows us to branch out more often and interact with more fun and interesting people. If you don't drink, life is still fun. I had friends who never drank at BC and still joined us at every event that we went to. Nobody should feel pressure to drink if they don't want to and most people respect someone else's decision.

Let me describe some stereotypes of the BC population. The first thing is that the student body is preppy. The people are self-centered upper-middle class kids from the Northeast. BC is also a very sport centered school. Another big stereotype is that there is very little diversity.

Court

BC is Jesuit-Catholic, and I think it's our best feature. We encourage diversity of all kinds (religious, ethnic, racial, socioeconomic, geographic, etc etc) and all students are encouraged to discuss and learn about each other's differences because that type of dialogue is what makes us more aware of the world beyond the Boston bubble. BC's location is ideal, as we have the traditional campus AND the best college city in the States right next door. There's always something to do on the weekends, the sports are incredible, the study abroad programs are AMAZING, and, most importantly, the education you'll receive here is invaluable.

Students from all 50 states and 60 countries! Out of 6 girls in my room, I was the only in-state student. Coming from a very homogeneous town, I was very pleased with the diversity on all levels that I encountered at BC. Students are involved in so many different things (newspapers, singing groups, athletics, dance groups, religious clubs, service programs, work-study jobs, etc etc etc) that there's never a dull moment (and very few dull students) on campus.

If I could do my 4 years again, I would in a HEARTBEAT. We Are BC!

The positive stereotypes are, and while there are always a couple rich snobs running around every elite, private, expensive institution, the vast majority of Boston College students are down-to-earth, hyper-involved, incredibly intelligent, and very passionate about what they are studying and what they are involved in.

While there are certainly some students who slack off, they're only hurting themselves. BC is a tough academic institution, and if you want to be at the top of the hiring pool or readily admissible by the best graduate/law/medical programs in the nation, then you better work-work-work during your four years here! The type of work you have depends on your major (I wrote a LOT of papers), and if you plan your time properly and manage your reading and assignments, you'll never have to miss a football game or pull an all-nighter.

Rich, snobby, from the Northeast, alums or legacies, more focus on partying than on academics. Positive "stereotypes" are the emphasis on service and student involvement in it, friendly and welcoming, and work-hard/play-hard.

Casi

My college experience has been an unusual one thus far. I am 18 years old; I just graduated from both my high school and my town's community college. I received an Associates of Arts degree before I received my high school diploma. The experiences I have had during the past two years at the community college were some that I will always value. I have learned how to be self-sufficient in managing my time, and I have learned how to think ahead and envision the future and plan accordingly. My college experience has also given me a sense of appreciation for my position in life. There are many teenagers who never graduate high school, yet I have graduated from two schools in one month. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity I have been blessed with. For many years, I have taken for granted the fact that I am so blessed, but through this experience I have seen that there is much given to me that others cannot experience.

Claudia

Boston College is a great size that offers great opportunities for students to interact with faculty. The campus is extremely safe as is the neighborhood.

By attending Boston College, I have learned how to interact and work with people who come from different backgrounds than myself. When I chose Boston College, I knew that the general student population was not a reflection of people I typically surrounded myself with. Through participating in programs such as the Shaw Leadership Program, I have learned how to relate to people from all backgrounds and socioeconomic levels. I now feel comfortable carrying a conversation with someone who holds different views and I now find that the people I associate myself with are very diverse. I have grown tremendously due to the fact that BC is very far from my home, allowing myself to explore an entirely knew area of the country. I have been able to grow more at BC than I would have had I chosen a school close to home. I am thankful for this opportunity to live in a different state, because I do not know when else I would have gotten the chance to travel to places throughout New England. I feel extremely privaledged to be at such an excellent private university in an environment where I constantly feel pushed to question my identity.

It is difficult to be an extremely liberal or environmental person at Boston College. This is not to say that you should not attend this school, but I am warning you that it is not the most receptive to liberal or environmental ideas. As a conservative school, there is still some opposition amongst students to open discussions of sexuality and sexual health, but students are working together and with the administration to change this.

I have not started college yet but I hope that it will give me a better since of independence. I am legally blind so I do have some challenges that I face when I do start school and feel that it will be a great learning oppertunity for me. This will also be the first time that I will be living on my own so it is scary and exciting at the same time.

Chae

Boston College is a highly selective university, and is one of the several Jesuit schools across the nation. It is a Catholic school, but note that your educational experience will in no way be hindered by your religious affiliation, or lack thereof - anyone is welcome . In terms of academia, Boston College is especially known for its reputable law program, which has its main base on BC's Newton Campus. BC is also well known for being a tight-knit community, and a great deal of school pride can be found within the student body. BC's key sport is football.

I was raised in a household that strongly advocated good education, and as such, I've always taken my position as a student seriously. From elementary school through high school, my modus operandi more or less consisted of studying hard. I earned decent grades, won approval from my teachers and parents, and that was that. Or course, success in school doesn't necessarily translate to success in the real world. One doesn't reach the height of life by just being studious - I learned that it college. Coming from that perspective, life at Boston College was a bizzare and novel experience. The students invested much time and energy into their academics, but that was the norm. Expected, even. The real clincher was how involved they were outside of their schoolwork. Time and time again, I was surprised by how vigorously they'd pursue jobs and interships, or how dedicated they were to their volunteer work. That was my wake up call - what am I doing? Booksmarts can only take me so far. It's time that I climbed out of that narrow box I've been sitting in, and really start taking the actions needed to make my future bright.

I wish I've known not to be such a nervous wreck! For whatever reason, it seems to be the norm for people to try and instill fear in highschool graduates about college. Too often, I've been subjected to talk about how college is ridiculously difficult, that newbies like me will surely struggle and crumple under the stress. Not true at all. Did college present a challenge for me? Of course, as it should. But it is definitely not something beyond my reach. Stay focused, study hard, and take your time there seriously - success is yours for the taking.

Carmen

I have gotten more confidence and security. I've learned that being educated is very important in your ever day life even if you don't go to work a job. Being educated has helped me learn how to be more independent. It's also helped me learn to research things for myself instead of believing what someone else tells me. It's helped to form my own opinions. I'm grateful for what I've already learned but I feel I have a long way to go to call myself an educated adult.

Jilliene

Boston College is a really nice small school yet at the same time has all of the excitement of a large school. We have amazing school spirit and great sports teams that are always fun to watch. Combined with this, we have a small school vibe where you can meet a lot of people and reconize them around campus. It's not too big and not too small. The campus is also beautiful and located in a perfect area. You can escape into the suburbs for some peace and quite and then take the T into Boston and have fun.

The best thing about BC is the community. I'm not saying you will get along with everyone but people here are generally very nice and helpful. Everyone rallys behind events here completely. Everyone wears their SuperFan shirts to games and at the same time raise money and awareness for great causes like "Beat Cancer," which helps cancer research in honor of one of our football players diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma. No matter what, BC students really are united as a school. Like are fight song says, "For Here All Are One."

College has really made me start growing up and realizing who I really am. I moved across the country to go to school and thought I wanted to go back, however the struggle to adjust really made me start to rely on my own or my new friends as support and not always my parents. My personality has changed as I become more out going and started to realize what is important to me and what I really want. My goals and ideals may keep switching around more, but I'm starting to get a better idea of them. I am making new friends and figuring out what makes me happy. College so far has been a million times better than high school ever was. Besides the social and personal side, I am getting an education that will get me away from my home town and on to bigger and better things that just working at my grandfather's buisness at home. I'm going on to do what my parents could not and have sacrificed so much for me to have. Thanks to college I will be able to do what I want and be who I want.

Chas

My school is best known for its outstanding education and professors. It is a liberal arts college with separate schools for your major. The professors are outstanding. They seem to have an expertise and plenty of experience in their field of study. Our school is also know for their effective financial advisors. Students are comfortable going to their advisors on a regular basis to talk about academic and career goals. My school is also a Jesuit education, so it is known for the importance of community service and individual spirituality. My school is also known and popular within family legacy.

College has been extremely valuable and rewarding to me thus far. Being around so many intelligent and interesting students and professors has instilled in me a need to take advantage of as many of the courses as I can during my four years. I do not want to just get through the classes in order to get good grades, I want the knowledge of the courses to become part of who I am. I want to be exposed to as much information as possible. I am taking an Ancient Greek as a language course. I am in my second semester of learning Ancient Greek. If I had not come to college, I would have never been exposed to this. I am an English major, thus am being introduced to a vast array of interesting authors, their writings and their lives. College life has also been valuable to me on a personal level. It is gratifying to be independent in my decision making. I decide for myself what it is I want to do with my time. I achieved all A's on my first semester, freshman year report card. I am proud of my independent choices and accomplishments.

I think it would have been a good idea to learn as much about the professors at my college as I could have. Professors have different styles. It would be helpful to know which professors you will learn best from. When choosing a schedule as an incoming freshman, it would be helpful and comforting to have learned something about the face behind the names of the classes I wanted to take. With the computer, it would have been easy to contact students at my prospective college and talk with them about my major and which professors would be most beneficial.

Erlinda

The people are so welcoming, especially those in the culture clubs. They are there to help you and give you advice if you need any, especially the upperclassmen.

When looking for colleges, really research them and see which one offers. With the transition, be more prepared in your work and on time with it. Pick classes that you know you can accomplish completing and passing.

The core curriculum is difficult to achieve in the Arts and Science school if you're a science major because it limits what you can do by not letting you take what you want to take in those areas. Some of the ones that count are ridiculous classes and not very interesting. They require a little too much out of the curiculum as well.

Boston College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.