Chestnut Hill, MA
Boston College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston College

Claudia

Boston College is a great size that offers great opportunities for students to interact with faculty. The campus is extremely safe as is the neighborhood.

By attending Boston College, I have learned how to interact and work with people who come from different backgrounds than myself. When I chose Boston College, I knew that the general student population was not a reflection of people I typically surrounded myself with. Through participating in programs such as the Shaw Leadership Program, I have learned how to relate to people from all backgrounds and socioeconomic levels. I now feel comfortable carrying a conversation with someone who holds different views and I now find that the people I associate myself with are very diverse. I have grown tremendously due to the fact that BC is very far from my home, allowing myself to explore an entirely knew area of the country. I have been able to grow more at BC than I would have had I chosen a school close to home. I am thankful for this opportunity to live in a different state, because I do not know when else I would have gotten the chance to travel to places throughout New England. I feel extremely privaledged to be at such an excellent private university in an environment where I constantly feel pushed to question my identity.

It is difficult to be an extremely liberal or environmental person at Boston College. This is not to say that you should not attend this school, but I am warning you that it is not the most receptive to liberal or environmental ideas. As a conservative school, there is still some opposition amongst students to open discussions of sexuality and sexual health, but students are working together and with the administration to change this.

I have not started college yet but I hope that it will give me a better since of independence. I am legally blind so I do have some challenges that I face when I do start school and feel that it will be a great learning oppertunity for me. This will also be the first time that I will be living on my own so it is scary and exciting at the same time.

Chae

Boston College is a highly selective university, and is one of the several Jesuit schools across the nation. It is a Catholic school, but note that your educational experience will in no way be hindered by your religious affiliation, or lack thereof - anyone is welcome . In terms of academia, Boston College is especially known for its reputable law program, which has its main base on BC's Newton Campus. BC is also well known for being a tight-knit community, and a great deal of school pride can be found within the student body. BC's key sport is football.

I was raised in a household that strongly advocated good education, and as such, I've always taken my position as a student seriously. From elementary school through high school, my modus operandi more or less consisted of studying hard. I earned decent grades, won approval from my teachers and parents, and that was that. Or course, success in school doesn't necessarily translate to success in the real world. One doesn't reach the height of life by just being studious - I learned that it college. Coming from that perspective, life at Boston College was a bizzare and novel experience. The students invested much time and energy into their academics, but that was the norm. Expected, even. The real clincher was how involved they were outside of their schoolwork. Time and time again, I was surprised by how vigorously they'd pursue jobs and interships, or how dedicated they were to their volunteer work. That was my wake up call - what am I doing? Booksmarts can only take me so far. It's time that I climbed out of that narrow box I've been sitting in, and really start taking the actions needed to make my future bright.

I wish I've known not to be such a nervous wreck! For whatever reason, it seems to be the norm for people to try and instill fear in highschool graduates about college. Too often, I've been subjected to talk about how college is ridiculously difficult, that newbies like me will surely struggle and crumple under the stress. Not true at all. Did college present a challenge for me? Of course, as it should. But it is definitely not something beyond my reach. Stay focused, study hard, and take your time there seriously - success is yours for the taking.

Carmen

I have gotten more confidence and security. I've learned that being educated is very important in your ever day life even if you don't go to work a job. Being educated has helped me learn how to be more independent. It's also helped me learn to research things for myself instead of believing what someone else tells me. It's helped to form my own opinions. I'm grateful for what I've already learned but I feel I have a long way to go to call myself an educated adult.

Jilliene

Boston College is a really nice small school yet at the same time has all of the excitement of a large school. We have amazing school spirit and great sports teams that are always fun to watch. Combined with this, we have a small school vibe where you can meet a lot of people and reconize them around campus. It's not too big and not too small. The campus is also beautiful and located in a perfect area. You can escape into the suburbs for some peace and quite and then take the T into Boston and have fun.

College has really made me start growing up and realizing who I really am. I moved across the country to go to school and thought I wanted to go back, however the struggle to adjust really made me start to rely on my own or my new friends as support and not always my parents. My personality has changed as I become more out going and started to realize what is important to me and what I really want. My goals and ideals may keep switching around more, but I'm starting to get a better idea of them. I am making new friends and figuring out what makes me happy. College so far has been a million times better than high school ever was. Besides the social and personal side, I am getting an education that will get me away from my home town and on to bigger and better things that just working at my grandfather's buisness at home. I'm going on to do what my parents could not and have sacrificed so much for me to have. Thanks to college I will be able to do what I want and be who I want.

The best thing about BC is the community. I'm not saying you will get along with everyone but people here are generally very nice and helpful. Everyone rallys behind events here completely. Everyone wears their SuperFan shirts to games and at the same time raise money and awareness for great causes like "Beat Cancer," which helps cancer research in honor of one of our football players diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma. No matter what, BC students really are united as a school. Like are fight song says, "For Here All Are One."

Chas

My school is best known for its outstanding education and professors. It is a liberal arts college with separate schools for your major. The professors are outstanding. They seem to have an expertise and plenty of experience in their field of study. Our school is also know for their effective financial advisors. Students are comfortable going to their advisors on a regular basis to talk about academic and career goals. My school is also a Jesuit education, so it is known for the importance of community service and individual spirituality. My school is also known and popular within family legacy.

College has been extremely valuable and rewarding to me thus far. Being around so many intelligent and interesting students and professors has instilled in me a need to take advantage of as many of the courses as I can during my four years. I do not want to just get through the classes in order to get good grades, I want the knowledge of the courses to become part of who I am. I want to be exposed to as much information as possible. I am taking an Ancient Greek as a language course. I am in my second semester of learning Ancient Greek. If I had not come to college, I would have never been exposed to this. I am an English major, thus am being introduced to a vast array of interesting authors, their writings and their lives. College life has also been valuable to me on a personal level. It is gratifying to be independent in my decision making. I decide for myself what it is I want to do with my time. I achieved all A's on my first semester, freshman year report card. I am proud of my independent choices and accomplishments.

I think it would have been a good idea to learn as much about the professors at my college as I could have. Professors have different styles. It would be helpful to know which professors you will learn best from. When choosing a schedule as an incoming freshman, it would be helpful and comforting to have learned something about the face behind the names of the classes I wanted to take. With the computer, it would have been easy to contact students at my prospective college and talk with them about my major and which professors would be most beneficial.

Erlinda

When looking for colleges, really research them and see which one offers. With the transition, be more prepared in your work and on time with it. Pick classes that you know you can accomplish completing and passing.

The people are so welcoming, especially those in the culture clubs. They are there to help you and give you advice if you need any, especially the upperclassmen.

The core curriculum is difficult to achieve in the Arts and Science school if you're a science major because it limits what you can do by not letting you take what you want to take in those areas. Some of the ones that count are ridiculous classes and not very interesting. They require a little too much out of the curiculum as well.

Kaitlin

The majority of my classmates at BC are stuck-up, judgmental, and the type of people who have had everything handed to them their whole lives.

Take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way from the very beginning. While you should prepare for your future career, be sure to enjoy where you are at in this very moment. Don?t get so caught up in succeeding academically that you give up your social life, but don?t have a carefree attitude about academics either. Give 100% in the classroom, but reward yourself. Realize that there will be mean people, and you may have the unfortunate experience of being hurt by them, but there are also nice people. Seek out those nice people, and don?t let yourself be discouraged by those that make you feel left out. It is your school. Be a part of it. Try something new. You might surprise yourself. Don?t be shy. Show people the amazing person that you are and all that you have to offer. Use your talents to make positive contributions to your school community. Take pictures. Laugh. Build strong friendships, but don?t forget to call home every once in a while. Your college experience is what you make it. Make the most of your time. You only have four years, and they will fly by.

Someone who is academically-oriented. Someone who doesn't mind being required to take theology and philosophy courses, as well as other core classes such as science and art. Someone who is capable of performing well academically.

Zachary

The kind of person that wants to be challenged by others and themselves. A person that isn't afraid to question who they think they are and open themselves up to their fears. A person who is looking for more than a party and is ready to work. A person who loves tbe thought of expanding their understanding and wants the best for themselves. A person looking for a strong and protective community spirit, who likes football and drinking on the weekends.

A person who isn't interested in giving back to their community, who seeks the approval of others to fuel their ambitions.

Dear me, "College is about resources. Use them." University success can be defined by the choice between utilizing one's resources and letting them fall to waste. In a community designed for your personal success, the vast wealth of collegiate resources is literally inexhaustible. You have four years to break as much ground as possible. Upon admission, education is no longer about competing with your peers for the best application, but about generating the private objectives that challenge your greatest asset and overcome your greatest obstacle: yourself. Every facet of the university environment is engineered to support the most extensive exploration of self. To be anything but ravenous for personal expansion is fundamentally self-abusive. The fear of that expansion can either fold you or fuel you, though it takes bravery to ask the questions of others and yourself that you don't know the answers to. By avoiding the interpersonal exchange that the college culture uniquely cultivates, you are depriving yourself and others, diluting the fuel. Tapping your resources is the key to enriching your person. It takes a village to raise a child, and a university to build an adult. Digging the foundation, however, comes down to you.

Alicia

Boston College is very uniform and content.

Boston College is very uniform and content.

First and foremost I would advise myself to slow down and take life less seriously. My life changed very much when I entered college, and I would have liked to savor and enjoy my last months of high school a little more. I would also advise myself to open my mind to the new experiences that I would encounter when I transitioned to college. By entering this new chapter in my life with a completley open mind, I feel like I could have taken advantage of more oportunities that were offered to me. At times I was too shy or hesitant to try something new or different than what I knew. I would have liked to have stepped out of my comfort zone more than I did.

The lack of serious dialogue and acceptance regarding race, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status.

Boston College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.