Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

Student body is a little less white than the public high school I attended in Connecticut, but not by a large margin. However, there are a lot of organizations designed specifically for students of different races. However, when I see a black student eating lunch, they are way more likely to be sitting with a bunch of other black students than with a mixed group with some white people in it (as the numbers would support). This is the same for asians. Basically, the student body is segregated, to a degree. I can imagine some moron from BC reading this and going "that's not true! My friend Theresa or whoever the fuck is asian/black/hispanic/portuguese!" While obviously many groups of friends have an ethnic person or two, they are scattered, and for this reason they tend to stick together. A lot of asians seem to have only come to the U.S. a few years ago and speak very fluent Korean/Chinese/whatever else and have somewhat of a heavy accent when they speak English, so I could see them naturally feeling more comfortable around other asians than average white people. If you go to late night, a common sight is to see like 12 asian kids walking in a pack that is far larger than normal, or to see 4 asian dudes smoking outside the dorm (cigs). We also have a lot of international students. They will all have fake ID's, go to the clubs until very late, not get retardedly drunk all the time, and oust regular students from good housing. One of the best dorms on campus has a reputation for being heavily diverse, it's because these goddamn international students take it all up. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike individual international students (I actually got to know a bunch my freshmen year, and they helped broaden my perspective on the U.S. (I don't call the U.S.---> America anymore because America is a continent, and people find this a display of American arrogance, which I was not aware of, and yes, I really did just put a parentheses inside a parentheses, that's the way I roll.)) but it kind of ticks me off they get better housing than the rest of us. Same goes for athletes. Athletes get everything better than the rest of us. Select housing, free tickets to all home sporting events, a gym that isn't crowded and small and full of shitty equipment.

There are a lot of rich white kids. A lot of them are really stuck up and care way too much about material things. They are also very quick to judge people based on appearance. I got very caught up in this as well freshman/sophomore year. However, I have now realized how stupid that and base my opinions of others on their actions and not their appearance. I think it is important for students coming into BC to not get caught up in this sort of thing. My roommate is the president of SASA (South Asian Student Association) and also a homosexual. He's a great kid and one of my best friends at school. There is plenty of diversity on BC's campus; you just have to find it. I know at a lot of schools, most students just wear sweats to class everyday. This is not the case at BC. A lot of athletes wear their team sweats to class, but besides that, most students wear jeans and a clean t-shirt to class. Many also throw on a shirt with collar in the morning as well. BC students come from all over the country because it is such a well respected school. Of my six roommates, 2 are from MD (didn't know each other before college), 1 from MA, 1 from CT, 1 from NH, and 1 from TX. Different types of students really don't interact that much. The Asians tend to hang out with the Asians; the blacks hang out with the blacks, and the whites with the whites. There is no dislike or anything between these groups. It's just kind of the way things work out. I have couple of Asian friends and a couple of black friends, but for the most part, each race tends to hang out predominately with members of the same race. The majority of students in CSOM (Carroll School of Management) are very, very interested in money and making lots of it after graduation. Most CSOM seniors know how much each of the "Big Four" firms' has as a starting salary and signing bonus. Before this year, I thought signing bonuses were just for professional athletes...

I haven't really had any experience with different groups on campus. I went on a religious retreat that I loved and I have heard about other groups going on just I haven't been involved. I think a student that is stuck in his or her own ways may feel out of place if they are not the "typical BC student from an upper middle class white suburban family". Many of the students are not from that particular situation but to someone who isn't and resents those that are it would be hard for them to come to BC. It varies, students can be seen in sweatpants and pajama pants some days but not everyday. There are those who look proper and wear a polo or a button down, jeans or kakhis or a sweater or a nice t-shirt or athletic wear. Different types of students do interact but there is a kind of boundary between full integration of all different types of students because people tend to stick with others that are like them. Well one of the tables would be a group of football players sitting at the same table everyday and there might be a few girls sitting with them. Then there would be a table of mostly asian kids as well. Then the other two tables would be different groups of friends, there might be some people stopping at one table or another from time to time to talk but then going back down with their closer friends. Most BC students are from Boston area, New York, Connecticut, and Northern New Jersey. There a few from outside Philadelphia and a few from California and the Mid-West. Upper-middle class backgrounds are the most prevalent. Students I think are more likely to be politically aware than politically active. The impression I get from most students are that they are left winged but that seems to be a trend of college age kids and I wouldn't say is unique to BC. Some students do I guess? My friends joke about how they'll be living on the street as a struggling actor or actress so I don't hear as much about it.

Students at Boston College often fall into the stereotype of the "rich, white kid who studies hard, but parties harder." As a student who often preferred a quiet night in to a riotous night on the town, I often felt as though students at BC were generally stupid, drunk, and disrespectful. However, come Monday morning, I would be reminded that the people around me were actually intelligent human beings who seemed to care about other people quite a bit. I suppose I'm trying to impress upon prospective Boston College students the sometimes blatant dichotomy between students when they're partying on the weekend at students when they're actually in class or participating in a service project. Often times, people seemed hypocritical or "two-faced," much in the same way the administration was hypocritical with regards to its Catholic traditions. Most students seem to be politically moderate, though there was not a significant amount of political activism by students. Perhaps because of its Catholic tradition, Boston College did not seem to have an especially large LGBT population (although I did encounter a lot of LGBT individuals through my participation in theatrical productions). Many students at BC are from Massachusetts, but I would guess that the majority of students were from out of state (I'm originally from Oregon).

Students are BC are ALWAYS on the move, whether it is for school work, sports, extracurricular activities, volunteering or partying. We like to keep ourselves busy during the week and party hard on the weekends. Everyone is ACTIVELY involved in at least 2 or 3 organizations on top of classes and they take a lot of pride in their extracurricular activities. We go above and beyond for our clubs and I've seen this whenever we have intercollegiate events. I would say this is true for the majority of students. As for racially, like I said before, there is not a lot of interaction between racial groups but it's improving. I myself have 2 different groups of friends, my Asian friends from my culture club and my white friends (roommates, classmates etc..) Contrary to popular beliefs, there actually are many LGBT students here, in fact I have a few gay friends and there are support groups on campus for LGBT students. The students here are also separated by the school they're in, CSOM, A&S, LYNCH and NURSING. CSOM are the business students with no hearts, A&S are the humanities, LYNCH are the future teachers and NURSING--well are future nurses. I think the core courses bring the students from different school together but there are definitely certain personalities associated with each one.

I really think BC is doing themselves a disservice by not recognizing the LGBT group on campus, and accepting sexual tolerance into the non-discrimination clause. I think BC is wrong in that there's no way to promote unity without encouraging gay behavior, if that's the stance the Catholic Church wants to take. I would think there are some students that would feel uncomfortable here, just because BC is the type of school that pulls in a certain individual. The alternative/social-progress individuals I have met here seem to hold a grudge that the campus is not that diverse. Yet I find this is something that they should have expected, and cannot hold against the school once they are here. I would say that most students are from the east coast, but there has definitely been a move towards recruiting students from more areas of the country. Students here are politically minded, even if it's just an echo of their parents' own beliefs. To me, BC is predominantly right, but as a Catholic private institution, I think that's expected. I don't think students talk about how much they'll earn one day, but students are definitely aware that CSOM is where the money is. As the financial school, their concentration on money will usually correspond to a strong job out of college.

BC is not very diverse. Most kids are white, middle class kids from private schools. Many kids wear sweatpants and T shirts to class, some wear jeans and a polo shirt. In general, EVERYTHING has a BC logo on it. Different types of students interact, often so that kids can go home and tell everyone that they have a diverse group of friends. If there are four tables at the dining hall, one table has 6 football/basketball players, all above 6'5" and 215 pounds, wearing 100% BC Football clothing, and one cheerleader sitting with them. The next table is full of rich white kids who used to play sports in high school, talking about the previous night's flag football game as if it was some monumental sporting event. The next table is a small group of kids with black clothing and pins all over their side-bags, discussing worldly topics that they have just read about in some random news-page article, throwing out quotes and statistics about a subject they truly know nothing about. They last table is a 20 foot long table with 30 Asian kids speaking languages other than English, so I don't know what they're talking about to be honest. The last table is not my racial stereotype, I've seen tables like that every, single, day at BC.

Students shouldn't necessarily feel out of place at BC, for there are so many groups on campus to support one's race, ethnicity, sexuality, gender, etc. However, that doesn't mean that everyone is going to be fully accepting. The majority of students here are very tolerant of other people's lifestyles, but acceptance isn't universal. The LGBT crowd here is so small that it is certainly difficult to just casually meet someone of similar orientation, unless GLC is sponsoring an event or holding a meeting. The University canceled a GLC dance a few years back, and there are some big-wigs at BC who fear that by including sexual orientation in the non-discriminatory clause, alumni and donors will stop giving funds to the school. But again, people shouldn't feel totally ostracized, for there are plenty of student-run resources readily available to them.

Most prominent, white bros/ white kids that like to drink. If you can't go to a FL school for good looking XX's, then come here - if that's your priority. Lots of body image building (issues?). Lots of meatheads, also lots of incredibly tight girls. Any black guy is usually on a sports team. Sounds terribly stereotyping, but good god, does BC milk the talent. Basically, its image of itself as a athletic contender and academic contender are more often than not mutually exclusive. Mostly, the bulk of the student body is involved in themselves (pun! - ha!). But I think that's just as much an issue of growing up than anything. If you're a smarty pants/ minority that feels a slight slighted around bulging white men or really sultry white girls, maybe BC's not your school. But if you're relatively secure with your physicality - go for it

A lot of racial groups seem to stick together. There's not a lot of socio-economic division, nor religious division. Most students wear preppy clothes to class. The four tables in the dining hall are the table the varsity athletes are sitting at, and the other three tables everyone else is sitting at. It's pretty funny to see actually, they're always at the same table. Most students are from New England and New York/New Jersey, though there are certainly plenty of people who are from other places. Some students are politically aware and active, some aren't. More are politically right than you'd traditionally expect on a college campus, but that probably goes back to the fact that a lot are coming from wealthy families. People talk about how much they hope they'll earn one day, but it's not like it's a contest or anything.