Boston College Top Questions

Students on campus are pretty friendly and there are more than enough opportunities to meet and connect with people on campus.

Most of my classmates are intelligent and like to party.

I made friends with the nerds, so my classmates were not representative of the typical BC student.

Doris

Most students are white, well off financially, Christian, and pretty good looking.

Doris

Most students are white, well off financially, Christian, and pretty good looking. Anybody who is not Christian and not white would feel out of place.

Uyen

Students are BC are ALWAYS on the move, whether it is for school work, sports, extracurricular activities, volunteering or partying. We like to keep ourselves busy during the week and party hard on the weekends. Everyone is ACTIVELY involved in at least 2 or 3 organizations on top of classes and they take a lot of pride in their extracurricular activities. We go above and beyond for our clubs and I've seen this whenever we have intercollegiate events. I would say this is true for the majority of students. As for racially, like I said before, there is not a lot of interaction between racial groups but it's improving. I myself have 2 different groups of friends, my Asian friends from my culture club and my white friends (roommates, classmates etc..) Contrary to popular beliefs, there actually are many LGBT students here, in fact I have a few gay friends and there are support groups on campus for LGBT students. The students here are also separated by the school they're in, CSOM, A&S, LYNCH and NURSING. CSOM are the business students with no hearts, A&S are the humanities, LYNCH are the future teachers and NURSING--well are future nurses. I think the core courses bring the students from different school together but there are definitely certain personalities associated with each one.

Most prominent, white bros/ white kids that like to drink. If you can't go to a FL school for good looking XX's, then come here - if that's your priority. Lots of body image building (issues?). Lots of meatheads, also lots of incredibly tight girls. Any black guy is usually on a sports team. Sounds terribly stereotyping, but good god, does BC milk the talent. Basically, its image of itself as a athletic contender and academic contender are more often than not mutually exclusive. Mostly, the bulk of the student body is involved in themselves (pun! - ha!). But I think that's just as much an issue of growing up than anything. If you're a smarty pants/ minority that feels a slight slighted around bulging white men or really sultry white girls, maybe BC's not your school. But if you're relatively secure with your physicality - go for it

people are pretty diverse by all means, though it isnt usually advertised as so. you get international students, students of all races, nationalities, sexual orientations, religions. theres people who are paying tuition in full and people who can only afford to go here becuase of ful scholarship rides-most people get some form of financial aid. theres the divison 1 athletes and people who cant play sports for their lives. people from most every states and every political standing. i should say while the official number is that 70{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of students identify themselves as christian, that simply means they checked off a box on their application. there are many people like me, i identify roman catholic, however i barely practice or observe. i have met one right winged super-catholic southern son of the confederacy here, but trust me when i say that is a rarity. to me, people interact pretty well here and if everyone gives everyone the chance everyones pretty chill; almost no one is rascist or super religious/conservative We are a Jesuit Catholic school and the Jesuits are considered to be the most liberal of the Catholic sects, and its true. For every club deemed conservative like the pro life club there is always, by nature not force, an opposing liberal club like the pro choice club See my post on sterotypes for more of this...

Students at Boston College often fall into the stereotype of the "rich, white kid who studies hard, but parties harder." As a student who often preferred a quiet night in to a riotous night on the town, I often felt as though students at BC were generally stupid, drunk, and disrespectful. However, come Monday morning, I would be reminded that the people around me were actually intelligent human beings who seemed to care about other people quite a bit. I suppose I'm trying to impress upon prospective Boston College students the sometimes blatant dichotomy between students when they're partying on the weekend at students when they're actually in class or participating in a service project. Often times, people seemed hypocritical or "two-faced," much in the same way the administration was hypocritical with regards to its Catholic traditions. Most students seem to be politically moderate, though there was not a significant amount of political activism by students. Perhaps because of its Catholic tradition, Boston College did not seem to have an especially large LGBT population (although I did encounter a lot of LGBT individuals through my participation in theatrical productions). Many students at BC are from Massachusetts, but I would guess that the majority of students were from out of state (I'm originally from Oregon).

people are pretty diverse by all means, though it isnt usually advertised as so. you get international students, students of all races, nationalities, sexual orientations, religions. theres people who are paying tuition in full and people who can only afford to go here becuase of ful scholarship rides. theres the divison 1 athletes and people who cant play sports for their lives. people from most every states and every political standing. i should say while the official number is that 70{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of students identify themselves as christian, that simply means they checked off a box on their application. there are many people like me, i identify roman catholic, however i barely practice or observe. i have met one right winged super-catholic southern son of the confederacy here, but trust me when i say that is a rarity. to me, people interact pretty well here and if everyone gives everyone the chance everyones pretty chill

Georgia

While there are a lot of classmates at this school, it never gets overwhelming, and you will always be able to find those people who you can connect with the most.

At BC, many of the minority students formed distinct cliques and separated themselves. I never had much chance to interact with these cliques. The minority students that didn't participate in this self-imposed segregation were always fun and welcome among us. My group of friends was made of people from lots of ethnicities, income brackets, and sexual orientations. I never thought my friends excluded anybody. I think someone who hates sports is most out of place at BC. It is really difficult find a place at BC if you don't enjoy going to a football game. We are such a sporty campus that someone unwilling to participate in that may easily feel alienated.

Court

Students from all 50 states and 60 countries! Out of 6 girls in my room, I was the only in-state student. Coming from a very homogeneous town, I was very pleased with the diversity on all levels that I encountered at BC. Students are involved in so many different things (newspapers, singing groups, athletics, dance groups, religious clubs, service programs, work-study jobs, etc etc etc) that there's never a dull moment (and very few dull students) on campus.

The majority of my classmates at BC are stuck-up, judgmental, and the type of people who have had everything handed to them their whole lives.

Nidia

upbeat and ambitious rich kids

Academically determined and focused and friendly and helpful in social situations.

Caitlyn

They are friendly and outgoing.

Conor

My classmates are fun, smart, genuine, engaging, intense, passionate, loyal, driven, motivated, and I have enjoyed every minute of my college experience that i have shared with them.

Steve

Student body is a little less white than the public high school I attended in Connecticut, but not by a large margin. However, there are a lot of organizations designed specifically for students of different races. However, when I see a black student eating lunch, they are way more likely to be sitting with a bunch of other black students than with a mixed group with some white people in it (as the numbers would support). This is the same for asians. Basically, the student body is segregated, to a degree. I can imagine some moron from BC reading this and going "that's not true! My friend Theresa or whoever the fuck is asian/black/hispanic/portuguese!" While obviously many groups of friends have an ethnic person or two, they are scattered, and for this reason they tend to stick together. A lot of asians seem to have only come to the U.S. a few years ago and speak very fluent Korean/Chinese/whatever else and have somewhat of a heavy accent when they speak English, so I could see them naturally feeling more comfortable around other asians than average white people. If you go to late night, a common sight is to see like 12 asian kids walking in a pack that is far larger than normal, or to see 4 asian dudes smoking outside the dorm (cigs). We also have a lot of international students. They will all have fake ID's, go to the clubs until very late, not get retardedly drunk all the time, and oust regular students from good housing. One of the best dorms on campus has a reputation for being heavily diverse, it's because these goddamn international students take it all up. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike individual international students (I actually got to know a bunch my freshmen year, and they helped broaden my perspective on the U.S. (I don't call the U.S.---> America anymore because America is a continent, and people find this a display of American arrogance, which I was not aware of, and yes, I really did just put a parentheses inside a parentheses, that's the way I roll.)) but it kind of ticks me off they get better housing than the rest of us. Same goes for athletes. Athletes get everything better than the rest of us. Select housing, free tickets to all home sporting events, a gym that isn't crowded and small and full of shitty equipment.

Scott, a Junior at BC, lists the things he brings to campus for Unigo viewers.

Joe, a BC Junior tells viewers the 5 things that she can't live without while on campus!

Michelle, a student at BC, discusses some (odd) things that she brings to campus every day!

Jen, a Junior at BC tells viewers what she brings to class and why.

they are friendly people who care about each other.

the students are very friendly and grade driven

Boston College students are very devoted and serious about their academics but also know how to show school spirit and socialize when appropriate.

My classmates are diverse, fun, engaging, and focused students.

Very self-motivated.

Dustin

Boston College students are the kind of students who know how to study hard and play hard.

They are fairly wealthy, social, academically focused, competitive, and involved.

Nina

Engaging, fun, and thoughtful

Eager to learn but not as friendly as they could be.

Thayer

They are enthusiastic, optomistic, and always up for a good time.

Play hard, work hard. Goes to class, works out a lot, thinks about the future a lot, from the north east..

Elaine

Preppy with a mix of eccentric

My classmates are engaging, focused, friendly, and have an overwhelming desire to do well.

Some work really hard, others do enough to get by, not all show up for class everyday, but in general, people are fairly intelligent.

Madeline

Answer to the questions: What is your favorite movie? What is the best class you’ve ever taken? What do you do when you have an hour to kill?

Madeline

Madeline

Madeline

Madeline

Valeria

This I really hate about BC: there are so few international students. There is practically NO diversity at all. It is almost an all american college and I think this is ridiculous because you can learn soo much when international students participate in class because they bring in diversity and challege to all topics discussed because of their different cultures and ways of thinking!

students are active in issues involving race gender religion and sexuality. of course there are some issues, as there are on all college campuses. BC students are dispersed all throughout the political spectrum. the students are open-minded.

BC is not very diverse. Most kids are white, middle class kids from private schools. Many kids wear sweatpants and T shirts to class, some wear jeans and a polo shirt. In general, EVERYTHING has a BC logo on it. Different types of students interact, often so that kids can go home and tell everyone that they have a diverse group of friends. If there are four tables at the dining hall, one table has 6 football/basketball players, all above 6'5" and 215 pounds, wearing 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} BC Football clothing, and one cheerleader sitting with them. The next table is full of rich white kids who used to play sports in high school, talking about the previous night's flag football game as if it was some monumental sporting event. The next table is a small group of kids with black clothing and pins all over their side-bags, discussing worldly topics that they have just read about in some random news-page article, throwing out quotes and statistics about a subject they truly know nothing about. They last table is a 20 foot long table with 30 Asian kids speaking languages other than English, so I don't know what they're talking about to be honest. The last table is not my racial stereotype, I've seen tables like that every, single, day at BC.

Socio-economic issues sometimes do arise. There are often a lot of rich students so it's hard to keep up with the social life that comes with that. But there are also plenty of students who are poor college students and try to make fun with out spending money.

the student body varies. like I said above there is a predominance of bros and bro-ettes who are generally rich, white, spoiled, politically unaware, ignorant and unopen to other cultures. of course, thats not everybody, but if youre not like that you will feel out of place until you find all the other quasi-alienated kids. if you dont like playing beer pong and listening to shitty pop-rap on the weekends, get out into boston or go somewhere else. what kind of students would feel out of place at BC? the arty ones. BC has NO ART DEPT. they say they do, but its a thinly veiled lie. and so there are not a lot of arty kids. you know the kind. hipsters and hippies. tight pants. that kind of thing. there is a small core constituency though, and Im a part of it. it centers around BCs radio station, WZBC, which is well respected within the independent music scene. it basically saved my college life. A lot of people listen to ZBC, but none of them actually go to school at BC; its all locals and people around the world via the internet. the 'hipsters' at BC are not so haughty, as say perhaps NYU, where they breed like rats. outside of that, there are arty, poetic kids around, pot heads, people that experiment with psychedelics, but you gotta seek them out. its not easy.

Bianca

BC's student body is not diverse at all. Most kids are rich, white, fit and insanely preppy. These studenst seems to fit into the mold. BC is a conservative Jesuit school, and the students seem to fit this image. There aren't crazy piercings, visible tatoos, or tattered clothing found on BC students, they just seem to look like the kid next door (from Greenwich Connecticut). However, with division one athletics the school does bring in some minorities and the insane athletic scholarships help diversify the socioeconmic backgrounds. The athletes are respected and they help unify the school. Honestly, a minority will not be discriminated against, a fat person at BC will probably affront the most discrimination.

Dan

I'm not gonna lie; BC is pretty much Whitebread U. A large majority of students are white, middle-class, and from the northeast. If you're really serious about immersing yourself in diversity, don't come here. However, beyond the lack of diversity, the student body is amazing. Virtually everyone is intelligent, friendly, social, and involved. Everyone is happy to be here and loving college life. Not to mention, the girls are incredibly hot.

Four tables: athletes, very religious, business students, volunteers Students are very politically aware. When Chelsea Clinton came to campus this year, I think the students surprised the administration with their turnout when students were pouring out of the room she was in and into the surrounding halls. Students are normally dressed casual/preppy to class, with the occassional sweatpants thrown in for the 9 a.m.. The athletes are constantly parading around in their sports clothing (especially when they are doing well). Uggs boots, skinny jeans, a Burberry jacket, and a Longchamp bag is practically the uniform for girls. Guys tend to wear just t-shirts or polos.