Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

Very self-motivated.

the student body varies. like I said above there is a predominance of bros and bro-ettes who are generally rich, white, spoiled, politically unaware, ignorant and unopen to other cultures. of course, thats not everybody, but if youre not like that you will feel out of place until you find all the other quasi-alienated kids. if you dont like playing beer pong and listening to shitty pop-rap on the weekends, get out into boston or go somewhere else. what kind of students would feel out of place at BC? the arty ones. BC has NO ART DEPT. they say they do, but its a thinly veiled lie. and so there are not a lot of arty kids. you know the kind. hipsters and hippies. tight pants. that kind of thing. there is a small core constituency though, and Im a part of it. it centers around BCs radio station, WZBC, which is well respected within the independent music scene. it basically saved my college life. A lot of people listen to ZBC, but none of them actually go to school at BC; its all locals and people around the world via the internet. the 'hipsters' at BC are not so haughty, as say perhaps NYU, where they breed like rats. outside of that, there are arty, poetic kids around, pot heads, people that experiment with psychedelics, but you gotta seek them out. its not easy.

I think that the student body at BC is very diverse, in all senses of the word. I have met some amazing, fun and interesting people, yet I have also met some that I wouldn't mind not seeing again. I think that the people that have the hardest time at BC are those that do not embrace the school's athletics. That is not to say that you need to like sports to enjoy BC, but because the school tends to really come together to support the big sports teams, you miss a lot if you chose not to be a part of that. My biggest issue is that the there is a portion of the student body that is still very much in high school mode in terms of gossip, and the need to be cool and popular, etc. This is of course a very small part of the student body, but in my personal experience I have seen a lot of people get sucked into it all, and I was hoping that by junior year of college people would grow up (but some have just not gotten there). This part of the student body, however, is pretty easy to ignore.

BC is a fairly un-diverse place. If you want diversity, don't go here, cause you will get weird looks and feel out of place. People here say they are open minded and say they are liberal or left, but they still shoot dirty looks at the kids who dress in anything thats name brand or a polo. I wouldn't different types of students interact. To class, girls tend to wear spandex and uggs, every day. The more ambitious will actually dress up to go class. I prefer jeans and a t-shirt, but thats just me, I don't own a polo or uggs for that matter. Students are politically away and some are active but for all the things that go on, on campus, I feel that more students could actually participate. People get lazy or think its the "uncool" thing to do. At BC, people care way too much about what others are thinking about them.

BC's student body is not diverse at all. Most kids are rich, white, fit and insanely preppy. These studenst seems to fit into the mold. BC is a conservative Jesuit school, and the students seem to fit this image. There aren't crazy piercings, visible tatoos, or tattered clothing found on BC students, they just seem to look like the kid next door (from Greenwich Connecticut). However, with division one athletics the school does bring in some minorities and the insane athletic scholarships help diversify the socioeconmic backgrounds. The athletes are respected and they help unify the school. Honestly, a minority will not be discriminated against, a fat person at BC will probably affront the most discrimination.

On a typical winter day, I wear sweatpants or jeans, a hoodie, Uggs, and my fleece to class. There are always a few girls who have taken the time to style their hair and coordinate their outfits, but they are out-numbered by the basic jeans-and-a-sweater look that most students have going on. Seven of the eight girls in my suite are from the Northeast, six are from New England, and three are a forty-minute drive away from campus. A lot of students are from Mass. and live no more than an hour away. Then again, I have friends who are each from Texas, Hawaii, South Dakota, and Idaho. To my surprise, there are a lot of BC students from Illinois, especially from the greater Chicago area.

A lot of the students are very preppy, and if not then they at least dress nicely to class. In the spring I make an effort to look decent, but in the winter I wear nothing but sweatpants. There is a large number of sweatpant wearers in the winter. 4 tables in the dinning hall- jocks, preps, racial groups, and everyone else. For the most part once you have found your niche you stick to it, but there are floaters. I would most people are either wealthy or well off, but there also a lot on financial aide. I think there is a place for everyone at BC, it may not seem like it at first, but once you look for people you realize they are there, the hardest part is finding your niche.

Four tables: athletes, very religious, business students, volunteers Students are very politically aware. When Chelsea Clinton came to campus this year, I think the students surprised the administration with their turnout when students were pouring out of the room she was in and into the surrounding halls. Students are normally dressed casual/preppy to class, with the occassional sweatpants thrown in for the 9 a.m.. The athletes are constantly parading around in their sports clothing (especially when they are doing well). Uggs boots, skinny jeans, a Burberry jacket, and a Longchamp bag is practically the uniform for girls. Guys tend to wear just t-shirts or polos.

I was part of FACES and I attended some ALC activities, fun and interesting. Someone who didn't speak english or was handicapped. Totally varies, some dress really nice, I'd say most wear sweatpants. Yes, different types of students interact, not as frequently as I'd like though. Four tables: Athletes, Asians, Freshman, everyone else. Most BC students are from US (Cali, Mass, Texas, NY, and NJ I think are big ones. But there are plenty from around the world, my friends alone consist of Virgin Islands, England, Austria, etc. Financial backgrounds-lots of students come from wealthy homes. There are lots of students politically aware, I for one am not though.

At BC, many of the minority students formed distinct cliques and separated themselves. I never had much chance to interact with these cliques. The minority students that didn't participate in this self-imposed segregation were always fun and welcome among us. My group of friends was made of people from lots of ethnicities, income brackets, and sexual orientations. I never thought my friends excluded anybody. I think someone who hates sports is most out of place at BC. It is really difficult find a place at BC if you don't enjoy going to a football game. We are such a sporty campus that someone unwilling to participate in that may easily feel alienated.