Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

i have had no encounters with such groups, good or bad. i think studious students feel out of place at bc. most students wear normal clothes to class. different types of students? different in what way? four tables: 1. white kids. 2. black kids. 3. mixed group. 4. another table of white kids (lots of these). most bc students are from new england and california. i think most bc students come from upper middle class backgrounds. students are smart enough to be aware of politics. mix of left and right and center. some pretentious students talk about their large salaries. they're clearly overcompensating for their lack of self esteem and personal pathetic-ness.

There is racial tension on campus, but it seems to be everywhere now. Since there are all types of students here, I don't think any student would feel out of place here. Students wear all types of things- sweats, pajamas, slippers, flip-flops...I've seen it all! Different types of students do interact. However, for the most part, you will see people who look alike sitting together in the cafeteria. Occasionally, do ethnic groups intermingle or eat today. BC students come from all over the US and the world. Most of the students here are children of wealthy parents. We are a politically active school.

Definitely a lack of "artsy" people which has been disappointing. Most kids are pretty wealthy but BC gives very good financial aid so there are lots of exceptions to this. BC is pretty white but the percentage of AHANA students grows every year. For the most part students hang out with those who look like them - especially the Asian crowd. The one unique thing about the student body is how concerned we are with volunteering and participating in service/immersion trips. Many of the volunteering clubs are even competitive to get into since they are so popular.

Overall the student body is accepting but there are certainly exceptions. Most students dress well and that is largely because a lot of students come from money. Students from low-income families and racial minorities may feel out of place because there is not a lot of diversity here. With that said, the students themselves do a lot to make these students feel welcome. BC students are very politically active and the overwhelming majority are strongly left, to the point that can be quite annoying at times if you have different political beliefs.

there are definitely some students that are more religious than others, but no one pushes religion on anyone, per my experience so far. the students are very much a community, and having all freshman dorms helps that a lot. i think that most students are from the upper middle class at least and many have gone to private school, and many of those to catholic or jesuit school. the school is mostly liberal, but there are conservatives on campus that make their presence known during certain events.

While BC certainly strives to be an all-inclusive melting pot, there is definitely some segregation among different ethnicities. While many people are open to those of all walks of life, one can see people sticking with those that are like them (and why wouldn't they?). Most BC students are from New England and the NY/NJ area, but there are plenty of people from across the country, though it seems that a disproportionate number come from fairly privileged economic backgrounds.

Students from all 50 states and 60 countries! Out of 6 girls in my room, I was the only in-state student. Coming from a very homogeneous town, I was very pleased with the diversity on all levels that I encountered at BC. Students are involved in so many different things (newspapers, singing groups, athletics, dance groups, religious clubs, service programs, work-study jobs, etc etc etc) that there's never a dull moment (and very few dull students) on campus.

This I really hate about BC: there are so few international students. There is practically NO diversity at all. It is almost an all american college and I think this is ridiculous because you can learn soo much when international students participate in class because they bring in diversity and challege to all topics discussed because of their different cultures and ways of thinking!

The student body is definitely a mixed bag. There is no shortage of guys and girls that seem to be stuck in high school. You have your fair share of massholes too. With BC appealing to more people nationally, the variety of students is growing. It's hard to be out of place at BC because no matter what you are like, there is definitely a group of friends that you can identify with.

Most ppl dress up for class which is sometimes awkward for the ppl who are involved with sports and don't have the time to look nice and shower before class. I think that someone who is poor would feel very out of place here. I am by no means wealthy and have to pay for all my own things and i feel out of place much of the time.