Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

I am a sophomore here currently (spring 2009), and having a great time as I found some solid friends and that I feel are a great fit for me. However, there are so many things about this school that suck, I would never recommend it to anyone else (except my enemies... or cute girls). Here's the list: 1. While I feel like it is a stereotype that college food is bad, I feel like BC goes below and beyond when it comes to food quality, and the dining service in general. You will be charged roughly $1250 at the beginning of each semester and this money will be converted into dining bucks, which are accepted at all dining halls on campus. This works well. For all intensive purposes, you can think of the residential dining bucks as monopoly money, because you've already spent the actual cash. However, the food is of EXTREMELY low quality. The meat especially looks like a blind thirteen year old was in charge of finding the best cut. Basically, this leads to any attempts at fine dining, which BC seems to pride itself on, being shot down. They can make a mean cheeseburger, but their attempts at gourmet meals (this can be a huge portion of the available dinner options) are decidedly terrible most of the time. There is not enough seating at any dining hall at peak meal time. God forbid if you want to eat at hillside (perhaps the classiest of the dining halls) at lunch time; you have better luck finding money (I'm talking bills) on the ground then you do of finding a table in hillside sometimes. I'm writing way more about this than I originally intended but to summarize: the food is bad (compared to food that I've eaten in high school, and at other colleges I've visited/have friends at), the stuff is pricey (despite the lack of quality), there aren't a lot of places to sit, the food is the same every fucking day, or at least repeats on a weekly basis, except for dinners, which are in my opinion usually the worst meal of the day served at BC. I could go on about this forever, so I'll stop so people might actually read the whole review. 2. I spoke about this above, but the parties are not nearly near their potential. It's very easy to find a party that is playing music, serving free beer, and has a ruit table, but if you're looking for more than that, go elsewhere. Just not a lot of big venues for parties, and every person I've spoke to who transferred here informs me that the parties do in fact suck. 3. You pay a fuck ton of money to come here. When looking for positive things about this school to validate paying so much, you'll say: oh, look at the pretty buildings! making the campus look really nice is like a giant tarpit that BC plows our money into. BC also has needs-blind admission, so some students get a free ride that can't afford it and are as smart as everyone else. this is one point in BC's favor. I don't know where the rest of the money goes, maybe they donate it, because they sure as hell aren't paying for more on-campus housing or dining halls or better food or a million other things. God, if I knew how much money they sunk into our campus I would probably cry. It's a very intangible thing, no utility whatsoever. 4. You have a 1/3 chance of getting stuck on Newton Campus freshmen year. I had the honor of living there, and didn't mind it too much, but the fact that they have to stick 800 kids a 10 minute bus ride (2-2.5 miles or so) away from campus is ridiculous. BUILD ONE MORE FUCKING DORM. Then your sophomore year, you have a 40% chance of getting stuck on college road. College road is basically like the housing that the lucky 2/3 of the freshmen class gets... except it's a little closer and some of the buildings are less nice. Co. Ro. is only good for smoking weed in your dorm room (I've tested this out extensively, for you, the potential applicant), or having loud parties because none of the RA's on Co Ro give a fuck. Then your junior year you'll probably live off campus, because you'll be so tired with getting screwed through the on-campus housing lottery. You will get no favoritism for having lived on Newton freshmen year, despite the fact that is quite arguably a worse experience than Upper (where the lucky 2/3 of the freshmen class live). Getting screwed twice by BC with housing sincerely pisses me off. I will stop ranting about it now. 5. I don't really know what else to say. I feel like I usually have more things to gripe about than I do now. It's probably because I've been writing for like an hour. I originally intended this review to be a forum for me to vent my frustrations about BC, but I'm being sincere with all I've written, and I urge any applicant to BC to read what I've written.

Boston College, for me is amazing. Yeah sometimes it sucks but what school doesn't. I literally walk outside and think that I go to the most beautiful school in America (biased but whatever). The dorms are good. The food is decent (although fries and pizza gets annoying after a while). The professors (thus far) are helpful. Best of all THERE ARE A REDICULOUS AMOUNT OF RESOURCES ON CAMPUS. Go to the Career Center as soon as you get here. The amount of help you can get is amazing. The libraries are great for research (except no books for reading for pleasure... which I don't understand). But yeah. GO BC!!!!!!!!!!! Best stop on the Green Line. (The only thing that kind of sucks is that public transportation aka the "t" stops at like 1 AM. But that's a Boston thing not Chestnut Hill thing so don't let that stop you from coming here).

I honestly believe that you would be hard pressed to find a better overall opportunity than Boston College. If you're smart enough to get in, and you love the college atmosphere with the city right down the road, you cannot go wrong here. If you are a normal, warm-blooded human being, and you leave Boston College with regret or remorse, it's your own damn fault! Go to a Red Sox game, or a Beanpot hockey game downtown...take a weekend trip to Martha's Vineyard. Drink with your roommates until the sun comes up. Cut class and play mud football in the fall. Go watch the rowing team on the Charles River. Start drinking at an afternoon baseball game, then head directly to Roggies Happy Hour. Opportunities are endless.

Boston College is unique in many aspects. First, the students there, though from diverse and international backgrounds, are extremely friendly. Academically, the courses here are challenging but satisfying. If one needs help, Boston College offers a variety of tutoring services on campus. Sports also permeate the environment here - if you are not a football or hockey fan now, you will probably become one here! Finally, extracurricular activities, particularly volunteer work, are strongly emphasized; the myriad of clubs and organizations that volunteer in Boston, as well as regular retreats for the working student, help maintain the moral aspect of this university.

Boston College has the unique ability to maximize each and every student's potential. The core classes develop a balance in the way students think. Philosophy, history, foreign language, theology, social science and natural science classes will create a well-rounded schedule, as well as many different views of the world. Being able to see matters from multiple points of view is infinitely valuable - and Boston College helps students realize this. Many top students go through the motions in their variety of high school classes, but at Boston College they will apply their knowledge in various fields.

College isn't just about being in the classroom, as most students know. This didn't really hit me until my first year at Boston College where I saw so many clubs and groups staying active on campus. From Young Democrats and Young Republicans to dance groups like Fuego del Corazon and UpRising, BC has it all. BC is unique in that new clubs and groups have the ability to kick out the veterans--something I'd never thought possible. The groups' spirits and energy made walking on campus fun, interesting, and different every day.

Boston College is a really nice small school yet at the same time has all of the excitement of a large school. We have amazing school spirit and great sports teams that are always fun to watch. Combined with this, we have a small school vibe where you can meet a lot of people and reconize them around campus. It's not too big and not too small. The campus is also beautiful and located in a perfect area. You can escape into the suburbs for some peace and quite and then take the T into Boston and have fun.

Boston College is a diverse, Jesuit community where each and every student is a leader in the classroom, on the field, or in their hometown. In regard to strictly the physical location of the campus, Boston College is located in a suburbian Chestnut Hill, MA, just minutes from a plethora of opportunities and forms of entertainment in the world's most passionate city. Ironically, BC is neither a college (it is a university), nor is it in the city of Boston, and there is no other school like that.

The eating arrangements on campus are very sub-par. The facilities are not large enough and there is not enough variety in the food. If you are going to give stores around the campus a 5 year waiting period to get Eagle bucks for students, then you sure as hell should have a better grocery selection in the dinning hall. Also consider lowering your BC taxes on food, thats outrageous.

The people that are attracted to BC are people that did tons of things in high school. Everyone was very involved and loved to be involved not just to put it on a college application. I think this is important to BC in that it dictates the way that the students came into the school and I think that they are able to carry that throughout their experience.