Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

I hang out with White people as much as Black and those that I associate myself with do not fit the stereotype... for the most part. While most of my friends are athletic and fit, hardly any of them spend their life in the Plex (BC's Recreational ComPLEX home to workout equipment, pool, etc). As far as the athlete stereotype... unfortunately it is kind of true. While I am good friends with alot of athletes (go me), this issue has come up many times. I even had a discussion with one of them about it and while he was offended, his history spoke for itself. By second semester though, they've dipped their... fingers... in enough cookie jars to want to settle down. Just be advised that BC is not really the place to go if you're looking for a relationship. That could just be my experience but, for the most part, everyone is in a "hit it and quit it" state of mind.

The rich and snobby is not true. There are certainly the rich, and there are certainly a few that know it...but in general, all the kids are friendly and open. The athlete stereotype is hurt by a select few. Again, most athletes are good kids, with a lot on their plate as far as time commitments go. If they want to let loose on a weekend and have a good time, its their choice. The school of management kids - I feel - do think they are better than your average Joe. They work their tails off in all those classes, so its natural for them to expect more out of their education than say a Communications major. I that is not a problem in my eyes. The problem I see often is when kids get so consumed with business and The Wall Street Journal and all that hoopla, that they get a bad case of tunnel-vision. It's too bad for them.

I would probably say a good portion of the student body is doing well for themselves financially but you are probably going to find more of the super rich at a place like Boston University because it takes more than money to get into BC. BC's students are probably more heavily christian than most colleges, but it hasn't affected me at all (unless you take a religion or philosophy class, then you'll never hear the end of it from them. public (high)school all the way). Also, while I'm sure there are a high number of conservatives here, I feel like, as on most college campuses, the student body is generally quite liberal.

While there are a fair number of well-dressed students, BC students are not spoiled rich kids. As a campus, we are well aware of serving others and the importance of humility. People come from very different backgrounds and while many students may dress the part once you actually speak with them you quickly realize we are not cookie-cutters of each other and many of us have experienced hard times both before and during college. We are passionate about our causes and vocations. I would argue that there is no such thing as the stereotypical BC kid - I have yet to meet one in my four years.

Despite the fact that J. Crew is definitely a popular label seen on campus, the student body definitely is not snobby for the most part. BC really does have a great community of caring people, and its Jesuit roots encourages students to reach out and volunteer, or even go on special weekend retreats to reflect and get to know one another. As for the relationship aspect, it's certainly not impossible to get into a relationship here, but students (girls especially) should not go into things blindly, assuming that Mr. Right will fall in love with you after a drunken hook up...Highly unlikely.

While there are some students that fit the JCrew catalogue stereotype, most don't. A majority of the students walk around in sweat pants and sweatshirts, and for the few students who choose to get dressed for class, it's a complete mix. Alot of the students here are however athletes, participating in anything from intramurals to Varsity sports and unfortunately, there is not a whole lot of diversity when it comes to race, the majority being caucasian or asian however, religion is not thrown in anyones faces or forced upon anyone and individuality is encouraged.

I think anywhere you go you can find people that are scared of change, or more so diversity. People that don't know something often fear it out of ignorance. BC does have programs to change peoples minds, and those who are open-minded enough will come out with a different perspective. It's also true that a few people can ruin the reputation of an entire area. I think, without a doubt, that a few students/professors/administers have skewed the public's perception of BC.

A lot of students are rich and white, but that certainly doesn't define everyone. BC is lacking in diversity, but that doesn't mean everyone falls into this stereotype. You are guaranteed to meet a large majority of good, stand-up people at BC.

I would say that all of these are correct but there is definitely a lot more too the people than those facts and of course those aren't true about all of the people but for some it is true and it is the "vibe" that the school gives off.

Sadly the stereotypes are partially true, but what really makes BC are the hard working side of students that people usually overlook.