Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

I have taken some great classes at BC, but I have also taken some that seemed like a waste. Though I like the idea of a core curriculum, I wish that in some of the areas of study there were more interesting classes that counted towards it. Depending on the way in which professors like to teach, class can be very engaging or pretty dry. There are many options to take smaller, more intimate classes, which i find easier to be engaged, but at the same time I have had some amazing lecture professors. I actually chose history as a major because the history classes that I had taken freshman and sophomore year were the most interesting and captivating classes that I had taken in college. I looked forward to going to class to learn, in both large lecture settings, and smaller classes with more personal interaction and discussion.

i think most professors ive had know my name. my favorite class was my third year honors seminar. least favorite was my first semester physics class sophomore year. class participation varies by class size, type, teacher. ive only had a few intellectual conversations outside class, id say they happen very rarely. yes some students are competitive. third year honors seminar was been the most unique. the cs major is a good one, but our department is not very strong. we dont have enough students in cs to justify spending more money on professors, grad classes, etc. i occasionally meet professors in their offices. i think the requirements are good, forces students to be well rounded in a good way. csom is about getting a job, my experience in a&s has been that the emphasis was on learning to better ourselves as humans.

I'd say 50/50 as to whether they know my name, depends on class size. Favorite class was Freshman Writing Seminar, great professor, free writing, had fun. Students study frequently, but less and less when you're a senior. Class participation is very common, especially because it is required as part of our grade. Yes, many intellectual conversations arise outside of class. Yes, VERY competitive. Most unique class would be Sports Marketing. I'm majoring in Finance and Marketing in the Carroll School of Management. Not a lot of time spent with professors outside of class, only to clear a grade up or an understanding problem of subject matter. Academic requirements are good, goes to show students have a lot to bring to the table, almost too good though-I feel like it's difficult to get in here now. Both.

Some classes are good and some just plain suck. You'll find that at any college. The PEPs on the UGBC website are great to read. Students really try to give a clear view of what a class or professor is like. The math department is pretty dry, but there are a few shining professors that you will want to take for every class. They are working to change the curriculum for education and math majors which will be golden for the future, because the math major is pretty darn difficult. Some classes like Capstone and PULSE really allow you to bond with your professors. The core requirements sometimes are a real damper, like the history, but it does force you to take a class that you would normally overlook which adds to the Jesuit education.

professors know your name if you want them to know your name. the size of classes vary from 200 kids to 5 kids which i found was great. studying is necessary at BC, but doing so every night is not common. being prepared for class discussion is always expected, and participation is highly desired by professors. I can't think of a class i thought to be unique, but my favorite class was Media, Law and Society. I loved the professor who taught it and the class was extremely interesting. I majored in Communications and minored in History. both departments were great and very helpful in directing me through courses over the years. BC is also extremely helpful in finding their students jobs and internships

Academics at BC are what you want them to be. There are a variety of classes to chose from, and depending on what you major in, you may find yourself in a 300 person lecture hall or a discussion setting with ten students. Most students have a combination of big and small classes. Depending on your major, your academic experience differs. Those enrolled in the premed program have twice as much class time as other students and find themsleves in a competive environment. However, for many other majors the experience is more centered on learning, especially from eachother. However, regardless of your major, students are expected to work hard.

The classes here are generally taught by professors, however some are taught by grad-students,and a majority of them don't speak English. The professors here do care about their students and they make themselves available through office hours. Most students don't spend time with their professors out of class freshman year because the big lectures make it hard to get to know them. BC is a liberal school so in turn students are required to take certain classes as part of the core. This can seem restricting at times because it differs students from taking classes they may be interested in taking so that they can fulfill the requirements.

Freshman year you will definitely take a few small classes (15-20 students) where the professor will know your name. even in 300+ person lectures, some teachers are very good at getting to know each and everyone of their students. the biology department is pretty good, but extremely demanding. if you are a bio major, and especially are in the pre-med program, it is nearly impossible to study abroad during the academic year, but there are tons of awesome summer programs in all areas and all over the world. to fill my fine arts requirement, i took a 3 week drawing course in venice, italy, which was an amazing experience

Depending on your program, academics are very challenging. Some majors are easier, and one can get away with and do well with minimual work. The pre-med and business programs tend to be more challenging, and these students can be found in the library at all hours of the night. As a finance major, I am in the library everyday for 4-7 hours. Students do have intellectual conversations out of class, often about politics. People want to learn from their peers, and students go to events when speakers are brought to campus or there is an opportunity to learn out of the classroom.

Professors were by and large pretty attentive. My favorite class was Psychobiology of Mental Disorders; the subject matter was extremely interesting, and the professor really cared about his students. I also really enjoyed Nihilism and Pop Culture, extremely engaging professor. Class participation seemed pretty common in the classes I took, though it was often easily facilitated. I think that the education is more geared toward learning for its own sake, which I prefer. I think that learning prepares you well for a job, but not necessarily for getting a job.