Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

The most popular groups are hard to think of because there are so many things to be involved in and what you think of is geared towards what you personally do and what your friends do. There are a lot of people in the University Chorale and involved in different performing groups like comedy or improv. groups or a capella. There are a lot of people involved in UGBC and especially around election time people are aware of what is going on. There are a lot of club teams that people are involved in I hear about soccer and rugby and different flag football teams. The most popular teams are definitely football and then second would be hockey and basketball. Hockey games are supposed to be a lot of fun and the team is good. The group that I'm involved with is the Contemporary Theatre of Boston College. We are a student production board and each year we put on two student directed shows in the Blackbox theatre and one avan guard show, also student directed. We choose the plays, the directors and are responsible for managing finances, choosing designers, building the sets and making sure the whole thing runs smoothly. It's a great way for people to learn responsibility if they're interested in the business and really get a handle on how it all happens as well as the possible rewards and difficulties. Students in freshman dorms tend to leave their door open for around the first half of the year after that they are more closed minded. Athletic events are enormously popular I think I know two people that don't have football tickets. Guest speakers can be interesting and there are a lot so you will find one that meets your interests often. A lot of times people get busy or forget even if one previously sounded interesting. Students have to take a fine arts core and if they take intro to theatre they have to see the shows so that ups the interest. However we produce a musical each year that gets a ton of attendance from outside people. The dating scene is kind of weird. There are people that date and that is more seen later on in the college experience. More prevalent I would say is that people kind of hook up. I met my closest friends through theatre and also from living on Newton Campus freshman year. Two AM on a tuesday, if you are a senior you are coming back from Mary Anne's which is a nearby bar, if you are on campus you are either partying or doing your homework but probably not just hanging out. Well football games are their own tradition but then also there is a Christmas Tree Lighting, Marathon Monday is a great tradition where we have off for the Boston Marathon and just party all day and watch the runners and cheer for our friends, Arts Fest happens around the end of the year and all types of groups have exhibitions etc. People party a lot. I don't really know anyone that doesn't drink. There is no greek life at BC so it is not important at all. Well I am abroad right now so I celebrated Carnival in a few cities around Greece but at school I would have seen who was having a party like if any group was celebrating something and then hang out with my friends to pregame then go to the party and maybe another then end the night with my friends. You can chill in your room but it might be loud from others partying or you can go out to dinner and go into city and see what is going on there. There is some housing off campus so you can go hang out there otherwise go to bars, or go out to dinner.

There are a lot of heritage groups for the minorities at BC. I think these groups of very popular, and a great way for students to meet others of similar background. There are also a lot of singing groups of campus and a couple of comedy groups. Intermural sports are probably the most popular thing on campus because most students played some sport in high school and now have no athletic competition in college. Intermural football/basketball/soccer/volleyball/softball are all great ways to play sports in college, especially for those who aren't Division 1 athletes. I am on the Men's Ultimate Frisbee Club Team. I absolutely love the team and the sport. It has been a great way for me to get involved on campus and to make friends with a lot of kids who are a lot like me. There is a big stereotype that the sport is just for hippies, but it is actually extremely competitive and demands a lot of hard work and tons of running. The majority of the team does not even smoke. Since BC has to Greek life, the frisbee team is kind of like a fraternity. We have a "Frisbee House" off campus where 8 upperclassmen on the team live and throw parties for the team. I am a senior on the team and the only one who lives in the Mods, so we have a lot of parties at my place as well. We love to play frisbee, but we also enjoy partying on weekends, and it's great to have a whole group of guys with the same interests. We have also been having more and more alumni support recently at practice and at social events. It is great to have the older members still involved with the team. On Tuesday nights, most seniors find themselves at Mary Ann's bar in Cleveland Circle. The bar closes at 2, so most of us are making our way to Roggie's for some late night pizza and hoping to catch the last bus back to campus. BC has a club called "Nights on the Heights" which hosts non-alcohol events on weekends for BC students who want to have fun without drinking. A lot of my friends from the frisbee team are involved with this program. They have had a guitar hero night, rock band night, inflatible night at the plex with sumo wrestling and human foosball, which was a lot of fun. All 5 of my roommates lived on my floor freshman year (including my "random" freshman year roommate, who is one of my best friends at BC). On the very first day of freshman year, our floor had a meeting with our RD, and he told us to look around at the 30 kids living on our floor because they would probably be some of your best friends for the rest of your life. He was right. Seniors don't really go to off campus parties because all of our parties are on campus. A lot of underclassmen and juniors attend off campus parties. Now that everyone is 21, we go out to bars around Harvard Ave during the week. Most weekends are spent going to different parties on campus.

Like I mentioned before, if you can't find anything here to get involved in (which is probably very rare as there's a club or sports group for absolutely everything) you can start your own. A lot of the students are involved in intramurals, club or varsity sports and going to sporting events is always a lot of fun here. The weekend usually starts on Thursday night and goes heavy til Sunday, especially during football season when tailgating starts several hours before and continues long after the final quarter. And because you're in Boston, St. Patrick's Day, and Marathon Monday are huge events that usually require a week of preparation and recuperation. So while there aren't any fraternities or sororities, don't underestimate our ability to still have fun. Coming from the South I thought that it was going to be a big deal not having that apart of campus life, but I have found that I almost prefer not having them around as it creates a more welcoming and open door policy with parties and such. For those who don't drink, don't fear-there's still plenty to do. There's always some kind of dance performance, student theatre show, or club event to attend. Traditions aren't huge here but there are a few, especially during graduation time that are amazing like Senior week (a week of festivities before graduation), Mod Stock (a concert on campus the last day of classes), and tailgating (football is huge!). You can always expect a fall and spring concert/comedy show thrown together by our undergraduate government program, who have brought Will Farrel, Kanye West, and Third Eye Blind to name a few. During holidays a majority of the students either go home, or find comfort with an "adoptive family" for a couple of nights as most parents tend to expect their kids to bring home any stragglers left behind. If you make it into the programs (which proves to be harder than BC says it will be), the school offers volunteer trips every break to different parts of Central America and in the United States that rumor to be amazing and life-changing experiences. All in all, BC offers a well-rounded experience for their students, and is a great place to spend four years.

BC has about 200 student organizations and there are a lot of different types but I think one of the most popular are the service organization. Obviously students participate in a lot of intramural sports but service is a huge component of extracurricular. We have Appalachia Volunteers which send about 600 students down to the Appalachian region every year during spring break to build houses for Habitat for Humanity and to work in the communities. There are more than 30 service trip programs which sends students to different countries during winter break, summer and spring break to immerse them in a different country. There is over 1000 4boston volunteers, 100 of Loyola volunteers just to name a few of the popular service organization at BC. It is difficult at BC to not volunteer at least once when you're at BC for 4 years. The AHANA community (minority students) is also extremely active on campus and I think show the most presence through the cultural clubs, everyone knows that cultural clubs are pretty intense at BC, especially if you're on an E-board. Besides these popular extracurricular activities, students really take advantage of our location close to Boston. People take weekend trips to the commons and the MFA regularly and we even have shuttles that take students there sometimes. We have a program called "BC to Boston" that provide cheap tickets to shows like Blueman group and the Nutcraker. However, on football weekends, most students are tailgating and weekend nights are often filled with parties and drinking. It's hard to find a quiet spot on campus besides maybe a freshman dorm.

Service, Service, Service. Although also sports - most students workout and many play a sport even if just intramural. But not sports are not intimidating - I hated gym class in HS but feel totally comfortable here. The arts are growing on campus - there are a lot of dance groups and the theater program is outstanding. Most weekends there seems to be a least a small performance by theater, certainly multiple arts performances every week. Dating is not a great scene, although I feel like this is true of many colleges. There are a fair number of serious relationships especially by senior year. And awkward serial hook-ups but "we're not a couple" kinda situations are very common. So are random hook-ups - though let's clarify here that hook-up for most people I know does not mean sex. People definitely go out on the weekends, and seniors go out a lot during the week too. There is always something going on. We have no Greek life - the Jesuits are not a fan. I think this allows for a very open social scene which is easy to migrate between groups and show up at a party and at least know a couple of people. While there are a lot of parties and a fair amount of drinking, it is acceptable to not drink. People who don't drink still go out to parties and no one judges, at least no one I know. There is always non-drinking stuff going on on campus too and hello the city of Boston provides endless entertainment. Also, quick note on drugs - it's there if you want it but not very popular and one could easily go through four years and never see any of it.

There is no greek life, but that is one of BC's strongest qualities. People are more apt to branch out and party with different groups or friends. The party scene is not as stellar as some colleges, but the Mods and athletes hold up their end of the deal with parties. Some of the best nights you can find yourself in a random Mod or other dorm room at 3am with 5 of your closest friends, 3 people you just met, and a bottle of Rubinoff Vodka with not a care in the world. The best nights are not planned in college, they just happen. Mary Ann's is by far and away the most popular bar in the area. Tuesday nights and then the weekends, you will most likely find it filled to the brim by midnight or earlier. Other bars in the area provide a change of pace, and if none of those suit your desires, then you can get all dresses up and go with your friends to one of the most interactive cities in America. Oh and by the way...Marathon Monday is without a doubt the best day of the year. Campus shuts down, along with the rest of the city, and kids are all together around the campus...usually everyone drunk by 10am. Every year for 4 years, my roomies and I have started drinking at 8am to our favorite power hour mix, and it always starts the day off right. Another fun ritual is during finals week, when the students that live in the designated Mod take an hour or so to provide a study break by stripping in the back yard. Anyone can show up...and usually about 300 people do.

I think the spring break service trip, Appalachia, is one of the most popular organizations. It's one of the largest Habitat for Humanity trips in America. I went on that trip my sophomore year, and it is one of my favorite memories from BC. The dance groups at BC are also a huge draw, with the theater packed for all of the shows. THe plays and music shows aren't as big of a draw for the rest of BC. Athletic events are very popular, with the emphasis on Football. Students are also partial to the big basketball and hockey games, but there are definitely fans who won't go see smaller contests. I met my closes friends through mutual friends that I had made freshman year. If I'm awake on a Tuesday, I'm either studying for a test, or on my way back from Mary Anns, and hanging out with all my friends. Some of the traditions that are held each year are: The Middle March costume ball, homecoming, the senior week events, pep rally before the Notre Dame football game, etc. The party scene depends on your year. Freshman and sophomore year it's normal to go out on Friday and Saturday nights, and by junior year you go out on Thursday too. By senior year people go out Tuesday through Saturday, with specific bars each night. We don't have fraternities or sororities, something I consider one of BC's best aspects.

A lot of people do the ski club because they go on some cool trips every year. I'm on the Ultimate Frisbee team. We're all really close, we always joke it's like being in a frat. We hang out together, take classes together, party together, vacation together, live together, it's great. The team is where I met all of my best friends here besides the people I lived with when I first got here. If I'm awake at 2 AM on a Tuesday, it's guaranteed I'm doing something with a teammate, whether it's playing a video game, watching a movie, drinking, or anything else. Football is the most popular sport, then basketball and hockey. Baseball doesn't really have a huge following, nor do many of the other sports. People party every Friday and Saturday, the people who can party on Thursday, and the people who choose to party any night they feel like it. There are no frats or sororities. Last weekend I drank with my friends. I don't know what you can do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking, go to an athletic event, go to a show, go do something in the city, decide to drink.

There are tons of clubs and activities on campus- a bunch of club and intramural sports, and a club for any interest/hobby you might have. Most kids here are athletic and play sports-I played IM hockey, which you actually get to play on the Conte Forum ice. Besides a sport, I'd definitely recommend joining at least one club on Student Activities Day. As for the party scene, BC is a drinking school (what school isn't nowadays) and there is definitely a ton of drinking on the weekends and before sporting events, but if you don't drink, you'll find people who don't either. The kids here are all pretty chill and leave their doors open-everybody's really friendly and open, so you're bound to find your group of friends very quickly. I'm not just saying that either, it really is mad/hella/wicked friendly and open here. Also, I had to mention one of my favorite experiences at BC: for the Boston Marathon, everyone gets up at 9, starts drinking at 10, and then line up along Commonwealth to go crazy and high five and cheer on the runners. DO NOT MISS THAT!!!

For the first half of the year I was comfortable enough. I had a good group of friends from my hall and we hung out together and had good times. Drinking kind of sucks here, because first of all I feel like college life mentality is just "lets drink to get shitfaced"...and that's only entertaining for so long. Getting into the Acoustics was amazing for me. I have friends that are juniors and sophomores, and I trust them all with my life. It's kind of a cult, but like in a really good way. dating here sucks though. this school is purely a hook-up school, and no one here really dates. People party pretty frequently, although I no longer see the point of partying on "thirsty thursday". I feel like "those dumb freshman" have kind of gotten smarter as the year has progressed, although I'm merely speaking for myself. I would definitely say that the Acoustics has been my version of a fraternity and I can't believe how lucky I am to have become a part of it.