Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

Sports teams are great to watch, Basketball is up and down but everyone watches football and hockey. Students always leave dorm doors open. My closest friends are kids i met on freshman dorm floor or through orientation. on a 2AM tuesday, I'm finishing up homework I left for 1AM, due the next day and my room mates are watching TV or playing video games. Some people party every night, and fail classes. Others study every night, and go to bed at 9PM. everyone goes out on weekends. There are NO frats and NO sororities. Last weekend was summer, i didn't do anything. Last weekend at BC was finals, so I studied. The weekend before that I visited my friend who has an off-campus apartment and had a grand time! Saturday nights involve drinking. Off campus has parties at various places in Brighton, or one could visit other colleges in the surrounding area of which there are thousands.

We recently had Hellogoodbye and Will Ferrell come to campus. There are always school sponsored dances/events and dorm sponsored parties. Dating? Not so much. Hit it and quit it? All the way. If you want to do a sport you can most likely find it as a club or intermurral if you can't cut it for D1.... except track which really sucks but that's neither here nor there. People are friendly and you usually run into friends in the Quad between classes and in the caf (McElroy, pronounced Mac-Elroy... don't ask why I have no idea... is a MAJOR hot spot. Freshman year you will sit there for hours, whether or not you live in Newton or Upper). Frats/Sororities are non-existent so if you're looking for Greek life, this is not the place for you. You can join Boston chapters of Greek life but the school itself doesn't take part in it (BC being Jesuit and all).

popular clubs: UGBC, AHANA group i'm involved in - salt and light is a wonderful community that has helped me adjust to bc doors open: not unless you're a freshman and it's the beginning of the year athletic events : extremely popular guest speakers: popular theater: not as popular? dating scene: could be there if you look for it, most of campus is about the hook up culture met my closest friends in my building freshman year if awake at 2am i am doing work traditions: tree lighting people party every weekend, starting on thursday frats/sororities are not prevalent, which is AWESOME last weekend was spring break but normally i would have hung out with my friends, seen a movie, did work no drinking? go into boston, see a movie what do you do off campus: go to boston, walk around, shop, get food

The social life at BC is go go go! Partying is certainly prevalent, but I wouldn't say it's totally out of control, due to a lack of Greek life on campus. But, there are certain spots that are definitely more party centralized than others. Students certainly have the option to party or to do other fun, perhaps less liver-damaging social events, and the school is really good about putting on various shows and forms of entertainment on the weekends to suit everyone's liking. Athletic events are HUGE, so those generally take up a decent amount of weekend time. Off campus, Boston is brimming with activity. From concerts on Lansdowne Street to bars near Fenway and shopping on Newbury street, one will never be bored in the city!

I can't leave my dorm room door open because i'm scared of what wierdo's might come in. Some kids are just akward and because they are all moma's boys or daddy's girls then they never drank in high school or did anything wrong...thus they binge drink and screw things up so much here that its pathetic. Its some of the sloppiest partying i'v ever seen. I never sen so many kids throwing up in public area in my life. The academics are what drive the kids to drink so much on the weekends in order to relieve themselves. The TV channells here suck...try offering some HD stations and welcome yourself into the 21st century. School spirit as i have said before is pathetic. If you cant drink then there is nothing to do what so ever.

As a Division I school, athletics are very popular at Boston College. Many students are avid sports fans, and I knew quite a few people who participated in intramural or recreational sports. Many arts-based organizations are active on campus as well, including dance groups, a cappella groups, and theatrical groups. Every spring, BC hosts its annual Arts Festival, a three-day event during which various student groups perform on a stage in the middle of the campus plaza. This was always one of my favorite events. There are also a variety of other student activities at BC, including religious groups and service clubs, though these seemed to attract less attention.

Party scene is decent if you know someone or if you are female. If you are an average male, you will have a very difficult time finding fun parties to go to freshmen year, unless you know people. This was not so much a problem for me, but I still think the parties here are not what they could be. I have been to on campus frat parties at other schools, that people can attend every weekend (to the point where they get bored of them) that are much better than most BC parties. Unless you want things to be ridiculously crowded and hot, you are not fitting more than fifty (this is generous) people into any on-campus party at BC.

Here's a look at what Commonwealth Avenue looks like on Marathon Monday! The city shuts down, and students and families from the surrounding area gather to cheer on the hoards of runners that pass by all afternoon. If you get out there early enough, you can see some of the fastest runners in the world, and then stay to cheer on your friends! Did I mention it's another excuse for students to tail-gate all day?

The most popular organizations are unfortunately the ones who throw the best parties. Students in dorms rarely leave their doors open and athletic events, as I mentioned before, are VERY MUCH optional (though our sports program is renowned for its overall success). We do nothing sober here.

Some popular activities on campus are usually centered around sports, as many students often attend sports games. However, there are other activities on campus, such as acapella groups, music groups, theatre clubs, and much more.