Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

no frats/sorts, though there really should be, the student body would be all over it. of course theres a lot of drinking. people generally party thursday friday saturday, unless its a special occassion (like a football game). first few weeks of each semester (before add/drop period ends) people drink and party every night. if you dont drink, there are activities, though they are few and lame. there are quite a few people that dont drink, mostly the quiet, shy, religious, and asian types. drugs are not commonly used on campus, though coke is becoming (a little) more popular -its still shitty coke though. theres weed of course, but id say only 35% indulge at all, and maybe 15% at all regularly (ie outside of party smoking). Boston is right there though, so you can find what you want if you try. students do not leave the doors to their dorms open -are you crazy? the RAs are bitches about alcohol use (especially in freshman dorms).

There are a lot of community service groups which are very popular, there are also a lot of racial groups, dance, art, etc. I got lucky and met most of my friends from my hall freshman year. at first people try and leave their doors open but after the first month its over. I met people in the communal bathroom, but if you have your own you wont meet many people in your hall. There are always cultural events available such as speakers, shows, athletic events. Almost everyone parties on the weekends but since there are no sororities or fraternities they are usually room parties. There is a non alcoholic option every weekend, it usually consists of board games or some kind of performance. My favorite event each year is the Arts Fest, each group on BC performs something, so you get to see what the group is like, its really enjoyable. There is a limited dating scene, one of BC's biggest problems is its hookup scene.

Dance groups are really popular for girls and guys alike. Newton campus, despite rumors, is an amazing place to live. You are forced to make friends as freshman because you are all isolated on a separate campus, but these will be your best friends for life. Dating is scarce, hook ups are popular which is not always a good thing. People always complain about the lack of dating, so it's wanted but no one knows how to do that anymore. Not having fraternities and sororities is amazing. There's no need for that added pressure and cliquiness, there's enough partying on and off campus that you don't need a frat row to go to. There are a lot of speakers, theater shows, music performances and places to go in Boston that you don't have to party. Boston is tough with IDs so just wait until you're 21 to go bar hopping, try the mods instead, but beware of BCPD on game days and holidays.

Im involved with Club Lacrosse and it has made my expierence at c that much better. There are tryouts for the team, and about 50 girls come out for about 8 positions, however if you make the team it is an awesome time. Football games are extremely popular. We do not have Frats or Soroities but the varisty and club team houses act as places to hold parties. I personally like that we do not have GReek life, that way no one is left out and you dont have to work or pay for friends, or should i say "sisters". Last weekend started on Thursday and went through Sunday.. Usually freshmen start off on upper and then either venture to lower our off campus where there are bigger parties. You can pretty mch do anything you want, on a saturday, the city of boston is like a 20 min T ride away, just dont take the B-line take the D.

A large part of BC's social life is focused around athletics, in terms of tailgating and getting together to watch games. Besides that, there are always things going on around campus, you just need to know where to find them. I think a lot of people find it hard freshman year to find parties and stuff like that to go to because partying in the freshman dorms can be risky and challenging, but those students who get involved in clubs and activities have a much easier time meeting upperclassmen to do things with. I am on the sailing team, and it was the perfect way to meet other students and have a social base. People don't date too much at BC, or if they do its with people from other schools. this can get pretty frustrating sometimes and it seems that everyone complains about it, yet the trend continues.

There are no frats or sororities at BC, so don't rely on that as a way of making friends. freshmen year a lot of people leave their doors open first semester and that is a great way to meet people. I met most of my friends because they lived within a couple of doors of me and within 24 hours of moving in, i had 8 friends that i went to everything with. the two biggest sports at BC are football and hockey. campus pretty much shuts down on saturdays with home games and the tailgating starts early and goes late. hockey games are almost every friday night during the winter, which makes it a lot easier to go to than basketball games, which are usually during the week and start later than hockey games. club and intramural sports are really popular all year round because there is such a wide varitey.

Too many to name, BC offers so many, it's great! A group I'm involved with is Relay for Life right now. Some do, some don't leave doors open. Athletic events are popular only if they are football hockey or basketball. Guest speakers are fairly popular, not greatly though. Theatre is also fairly popular. I met my cloest friends freshman year. I am at MaryAnn's on a Tuesday at 2 am. Traditions include St. Patty's Day, Marathon Monday, Senior Week, etc. No frats or sororities, thank GOD. Last weekend I went to some bars with friends. Saturday non-drinking activities-Night on the Heights, hosted by BC, Asinine, Dance, or Singing shows, or just watch movies and hang out with friends..board games anyone? Off campus we usually are walking around Boston or going to bars.

One group that I'm involved with is the CCE, or Committee for Creative Enactments. It is an improv group on campus that puts on a murder mystery show each semester that is student written and directed by members of the club. We also do improv shows throughout the year, and always have a good time. Just about anything you want to do as an extracurricular, you can find. At the beginning of each semester, there is a student activities day, in which a lot of the clubs on campus set up tables in the quad and try and recruit new members. I met a lot of my closest friends, and my boyfriend, by joining this club.

BC does not have any frats or sororities so it may be difficult for freshman to find the typical hhuge anonymous "college party" so many often drink in their dorm rooms and in doing so bond with the kids in their dorm. Students don't go out as much as I thought they would (although within certain groups they go out more) and I actually went out more in high schoool. Students really don't go to bars underage and are hesitant to use fake IDs because of Boston's reputation of being tough on IDs. But if you actually try them it's not that tough as long as you venture away from campus a little bit.

BC is able to attract a wide range of guest speakers, many of whom are well know throughout the country. these events are always packed with students. athletic events are equally as important to students--and its doesnt hurt that BC has amazing teams (hockey, football, basketball...) these events are always a good time. there is always something going on at BC....parties are common on and off campus and drinking is always involved. but whats great about BC is that if that sort of culture doesnt fit you, there are so many ways to get away from that scene because of the schools location.