Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

At the risk of sounding pessimistic, BC is rife with tools. What precisely do I mean? The kinds of kids that pretty much had it easy their whole lives, and BC is just another step along the way. A lot of the kids are well off and it seems as if the campus is made for people with money. There is pretty obvious divide between the white students as opposed to students of color, and at times the socioeconomic divide is very evident as well. Football is huge here and so is drinking. Most of the guys are jerks and most of the girls are uppity and high maintenance. Dating is almost non-existent. The Jesuits are nice and the majority of the faculty are too. I wish they would put more emphasis on the character and personality of the students.

The stereotypes that exist differ for each race. For Whites, it's that everyone wears J. Crew, is rich, exercise extensively, that the girls only eat salad, you know the type. For African-Americans it's that everyone here is either an athlete or attending this school because of affirmative action. There's also the stereotype that all athletes (at least male) are whores.

Some of the stereotypes that I heard about BC when researching the school were that the students looked like a JCrew catalogue with a hangover. Some others are that most of the girls have eating disorders, students are caucasian catholics and that the majority of the students are athletes.

You hear a lot about everyone being rich and in turn "snobby." Male athletes being jerks, and using their status to get girls...a lot. Kids in the School of Management get hit with not only the nerdy, book worm type; but they "think they are better than everyone else."

BC students are seen as upper middle class children from suburbia. It's not a very diverse campus, so many people are pretty close-minded. BC itself is scene as a somewhat homophobic, or more so stuck in the past of a Catholic tradition.

That they are all rich, over privileged catholic school kids who claim to be progressive and active in making society and the world better, but don't actually believe in or care about the changes they are trying to make.

No good party's. Too many losers. Too many Asains. Think they are above everyone. Fan base sucks... Students are too worried about drinking. No Frat's or Sororities.

BC students are oftentimes perceived as extremely preppy and snobby, and there is the running joke that relationships don't really exist here.

They are self-centered, never go out of their way to help others, remain in cliques, and fail to travel far from campus.

one major stereotype is that the majority of the student body is made up of rich white kids with too much money