Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

Chestnut Hill is not a college town at all. Almost all students live off campus junior year, and almost all of them get in severe trouble with the police. It is impossible to have a party without the cops/off campus RA coming, this is especially true because most of them are under 21. BC wants to expand its campus, but to do so, it must have the support of the neighbors. Therefore, they want to stop all off campus partying, so that the neighbors are happy and will let BC grow. Thus the student body suffers. College students drink a lot, there's nothing that you can do about that, but BC tries to get us in unnecessary amounts of trouble. The Mods are the greatest part of BC. I live in the Mods as a senior, and I could not be happier with them. They are a small townhouse community on campus made up of 78 townhouses, with six seniors in each. They are great for throwing parties and especially great for tailgating before football games. The Mods are one of the most important part's of BC campus. Almost all seniors move back on campus senior year, and I think that is one of the things that makes BC so special. As I mentioned earlier, it is very hard to have fun living off campus because the cops break up almost every party. Thus, spending senior year on campus is great because it allows all of the seniors to enjoy their last year in college without any threats of getting in trouble with the law. It's also nice because all of your friends live relatively close to one another, making it easier to stay in touch with all of the friends you've made over the last four years. I think BC is just the right size, at about 2,000 per grade. One thing that was very difficult about my adjustment to college was living on the Newton Campus freshman year. The Newton Campus houses approximately half of the freshman class and is located a little over a mile from campus. Students must take a bus to and from campus for classes and any other events. Making the adjustment to college was very hard to begin with, but having to wake up extra earlier and wait in the freezing cold for a bus every morning, made it even more difficult. Needless to say, my attendance in class and my GPA suffered freshman year as a result. Looking back as a senior, I have a tremendous amount of "Newton Pride." However, I was not nearly as happy to be there when I was a freshman. Living so far away from the rest of BC made it very hard to have a social life (aka go to parties, make friends with upper classmen, make friends with the other half of the freshman class, etc). I joined the frisbee team my junior year, and that was probably the best decision I made in college. I became friends with a bunch of BC student's with the same fun loving sense of humor that I have. It has been a great opportunity for me to get into the best shape of my life, all the while playing a game that I absolutely love. The friends I have made from the frisbee team are some of my best friends in college and will definitely stay with me for years to come. I think it is very important for students to get involved in college in order to make friends who have similar interests. BC does not have any greek life, so it is hard for a lot of students to find a good group of friends. The frisbee team has been that group for me. Not to mention, we're absolutely nasty at frisbee and finished 18th out of 80 teams at a national tournament in Las Vegas last month.

The best thing about BC is the way that all of the people that go there have a kind of love of life and doing things. I haven't met anyone that sits around and does nothing for more than a few hours a day. One thing that I would change is that some people are stuck up and aren't really interested in going past their close knit group of friends. I think the size is just right because you can walk around campus and see people you know everywhere but can also meet a ton of new people everyday. People react well and are somewhat impressed if they didn't know that I was smart or they react to the beauty of the campus. I spend most of my time on campus and my time in general in Robsham Theatre Arts Center. There is a college town of sorts, the surrounding area, Newton, Newton Centre, Brighton and Cleveland Circle is home to BC students and there is a historical connection with alumni to the area. Boston in general is such a great place to be if you take advantage of it, I unfortunately am really busy all the time so I don't really have time to get to experience it the way I would like to. I like the administration, I have had no problems with it. My only complaints would be about the way they react to change in society however since it is a Jesuit Institution it must abide by the ideals supported by the Catholic Church which sometimes are in disagreement with what I personally believe in. I don't even know what the biggest recent controversy on campus was? The last one that affected me in any way was in regards to a play selection that a student group on campus didn't agree with because they found it offensive. However the whole concept of the play was discussing the idea being offensive and how its changed throughout history so it just made me annoyed because the group was creating a ton of work for someone else without having their argument staked in the truth of the situation. There is a ton of school pride the idea of the Superfan is alive and well. Home football games especially in the beginning of the year when its gorgeous out are some of the best times at school. Everyone is just excited and can't wait for the game to start. I think the most unusual thing about BC is the way that all aspects of the school come together and the type of person that is attracted to the school. The fact that it is prestigious and a really fun environment makes the students focus when they need to focus and be able to have a great time and appreciate many different aspects of life afterwards. This year I had rehearsal during a big football game and I was watching it on gamecast and reporting to the cast as anything happened. We ended up coming from behind to beat VTech in the last two minutes and we got out of rehearsal just as the game ended. The whole school flooded the Mods. Everyone was screaming and just poured out of the dorms to all be together basically, everyone was pounding our school song, they brought down instruments and it was just amazing. I'm not sure what the most frequent student complaints are, we could have a better recycling program? There isn't as much diversity on campus as there could be?

The school's size is a comfortable fit; I don't think anyone would ever find it too big, but there are a couple different general "areas" of campus, so hopefully one would not find it too small. The school is located in a residential area just outside of Boston (read: half the campus is in Boston). This is nice if you don't really want to be going to school in a city but you still want it easily accessible by public transportation. Our sporting program is incredible; we won nationals in hockey last year, Tyrese Rice will hopefully lead us through March Madness this year, and our football team performed valiantly this Fall season despite only making it into the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl (what a lame name for a college bowl game). However, our student body is pretty weak when it comes to attending games, as well as cheering for our teams. At a UMass game last year I remember one entire section of our stands getting outcheered by like 4 guys from UMass. It was pathetic. Oh yeah, and we're Jesuit. For all intensive purposes, this will mean zilch to you. Just some of the professors will be Jesuits, and probably be way cooler and less bookish than most of the professors. They are interesting people to talk to, and in general their life experience will vastly outweigh the majority of... well everyone you've ever met (if you live in the U.S.) Oh yeah and we're Catholic. There are crosses in some classrooms, and there's 2, count em, 2 churches on campus. I'm agnostic and generally find religion to be well intentioned but not something I'm interested in, and I have never been bothered by the Christian presence on campus. If you're in the school of arts and sciences, you will have to take 2 religion classes, but some of the smartest minds that ever lived devoted their entire lives to studying religion and writing about it; I figure it is worth reading these authors as there is some intrinsic value in their work, even if you don't believe in God or practice religion differently.

BC is a school who is so concentrated with trying to be recognized with the ivy league and prestigious schools of the country, that they are killing the student school spirit. Students are too worried about classes and work to have any free time other than to go to the plex let a lone have a job. The police on campus are terrible and break every decent party up that the school has. The bus system is pathetic and the worst is the housing situation. I understand the school want more students, but try building more dorms first instead of forcing students to live in shit hole dorms or off campus apartments. The dorms here are worse then any of the schools i've visited all over the country. Theres no parking anywhere, and if you find a spot you get towed. The athletic teams are all very good but nobody gives two shits because they are too concerned with getting their homework done on a saturday. People think they have school spirit but they dont. At a school with real spirit, professors dont even assign work because there are big games coming up. And when the football team goes to a bowl game, or the hockey team to a national championship, students actually go! The big picture is that the schoo is more concerned with itself than its students. It basically uses its students by pulling in the smartest ones out of highschool feeding them with religious experiance crap so that they can leave, make money, and then come back to BC and donate all the money. The football team funds all other athletics because they cant raise enough money on their own to self support. Yet we only sell student tickets for a couple months before the season and only to so many students because we want to save the rest of the seats for the alumni assholes who donate money and sit down the entire game. Our opposing fans section is as big as our superfan section.

I absolutely love Boston College. Being an Asian student, I know that there is a lot of diversity and integration issues that many minority students have to deal with. However, in my opinion, it's what you make of it. First of all, there is so much school pride here and you see it at football and hockey games or even just walking around campus. On an average day, you'd definitely see at least 4 or 5 people in your classes rocking BC apparel. I'm always proud to tell people that I go to Boston College and I think a lot people respect BC, especially around the Boston area. Now that I am a senior, I began to see the inconvenience of living kind of far away from the center of Boston. Since the T shuts down at 12:30 it is difficult to go into bars in Boston without a hefty cab fair ride back. But the beautiful campus makes up for this fact and there are also a few BC bars in Cleveland Circle that most BC students go to. One of things I love most about BC is the community and how much we care about our students development here There are so many different extracurricular activities that we can get involved in and build different communities within these activities. There is also a huge emphasis on service and giving back to the communities around us. Each year, we have more than 1000 students volunteering at different communities in Boston. The only problem on campus is the lack of racial interaction between white students and minority students. Even though there is high diversity (30% of students are minority or AHANA student), the two groups do not integrate very well together.

BC is an unreal place to be for the best four years of your life. There are tons of colleges, large and small, within a taxi ride away, so any time you want a different scene, you can get one. The best thing about BC is its location and the feel of a real college campus. 15 minutes from Fenway and the North End or Fanuiel Hall... yet you could think the campus was in the middle of a small town. A gorgeous campus with great architecture and layout. The worst part is probably the way housing works. Not that it's a life or death situation, but the housing lottery is a stressful time of year, and the sheer lack of space makes some living situations less enjoyable than others. I was stuck in "bad" freshmen housing, then "bad" sophomore housing, and then "bad" senior housing, but I loved every experience that came from each year. If you are good at making the best of situations, and not worrying about status or location of housing, you're going to have a great time wherever you are. The school spirit is not a real high-point of BC and its athletics. Everyone loves the college, but we travel TERRIBLY to away football games, and even have home games where the weather or too much tailgating takes away from the student section. Its sad when a big football game is on campus and there are empty seats around the stadium.

Best Thing: Academics, although you have to find the most passionate teachers. Once you do, keep in touch, they are great mentors Possible Changes: Tuition, student culture Size: Small Reaction to BC: Somewhat impressed, but I can't really fathom why. Time Mostly Spent: Working to pay tuition, studying, hanging out with people that are not huge tools College Town: Not really BC administration: Detached, students have little influence. You just sort of accept it after a while, unless you really want to "fight the man" Note: doing the latter often means less time concentrating on school work and may produce sub par grades. Not worth it in the end. Controversy: Not exactly welcoming to GLBT students, Racial Divides evident (unless your an athlete), issues with treatment of women School Pride: For the most part yes, I don't really now why Unusual things about BC: Everything, from housing to registration, seems to be based on luck. One experience I'll remember: Meghan Sweeney's Personal and Social Responsibility Class, Kim Garcia's Creative Writing course, Drawing Foundations with John Steckzinski, Father Jack's guidance Frequent Complaints: Food is overpriced, housing based on luck, very little to do near campus, party scene gets really old after a while

I love Boston College. I am on serious student loans to be able to come here and while I still get stressed out over that, I do not regret my decision. The people I have met here, the skills I have developed and the outlook on life I have discovered are priceless. There is just something different about going to a Jesuit institution. It is not the religious appeal that I am talking about - I am not religious myself - but more of a philosophy. Boston College believes in the education of the whole person and really tries to instill that belief in its students. What I think is the best quality about BC are its students. The student population cares tremendously about their grades and academic performance but will still be able to relax and have fun on the weekends. The one thing I would change about BC is its strict policy on underage drinking. There is no bar on campus and there are a lot of documentations over alcohol. They aren't very serious but that is one of the problems with BC BC is just the right size - not too small where you cant avoid seeing certain people and not too big where you always feel like a stranger.

Overall, I think Boston College is a great institution. Most students graduate with a top-notch education. The professors and classes are truly exceptional. I was raised Catholic, and I found the Catholic tradition of BC to be very comforting at times. However, I think the religion of the university both alienated many non-Catholic students, and created a significant amount of red tape for student activists. Boston College is an excellent size; big enough that you don't feel like you're in a fish bowl, but small enough that you feel like you're a member of a cohesive community. Also, the location is fantastic. The campus has a more suburban location, with direct access to the city via the MBTA. As a Division I school, athletics are a big part of campus life. The school goes crazy during home football games. This was generally a wonderful part of my time at Boston College, but it was also frustrating to feel as though athletics took priority over academics and the arts. Finally, like most private universities, Boston College is really expensive. I wish a Boston College education could be financially accessible to more people.

The best thing about BC is that there's something for everyone. Whether it's getting involved in service organizations, playing some kind of sports, religious groups, or theatre, everyone can find something they enjoy. The size of the student body varies around 9,000 which I believe is the perfect size. Everywhere you go you'll see two people you know, and five you don't so parties and classes are always fun. The school is a prestigious institution without the snobbiness of knowing it. While the students pride themselves in attending here, we're not going to brag about it or rub it in your face (unless you go to Notre Dame that is). While on campus, you'll spend most of your time in one of the dining halls studying or hanging out with friends or in one of the two librarys if you're the studious type. Boston is an absolutely fabulous place to be at school, coming from Texas it's a big change but the city is a big city with a small town feel and if you're ever bored on campus (which rarely happens) there's always something to go see or do at only a T-stop away.