Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

I love the atmosphere at BC. WIth the sports, the academics, and the town of Boston itself, it's an awesome place to be. The 8,000/9,000 student undergrad population seems perfect to me--it's small enough that you recognize people all around campus and in classes, but not small enough that you know everyone in the first few months. I also love that my class sizes aren't very big, so one-on-one time with the professor is easy to come by. I spend most of my time in my room with my roommates, hanging out with my friends. I have gotten a very positive reaction from people when I tell them I go to BC. They're impressed with the academics, and want to know what it's like to go to the school. I think there's a ton of school pride. There's not a day that goes by that people aren't sporting some sort of BC gear. The amount of students that travelled to Notre Dame this year seems to me to be a great showing of that. I think one of the biggest complaints students have is a lack of communications between the student body and the administration.

The school is a good size to give the feeling of a tightly knit class feeling, while still having new people to meet every day. People tell me congratulations when i say I go to BC and they typically are impressed. I spend my time at the workout complex or in the study lounge. BC's administration is interested in squeezing as much money as they can out of its students. The town is not a college town but is very nice, and the campus itself is very secluded. I can't remember the biggest recent controversy. There is a ton of school pride and people love the sports teams. Everyone wears BC clothing. BC is a very typical catholic university in my opinion, but its the only one i've ever attended so I dont have a great basis for comparison. I'll remember the comeback football wins, and the Hockey National Championship. Students ALWAYS complain about housing issues, because BC's housing placement is very unfair.

In my honest opinion, Boston College is by far the best all-around school in the country. With a little over 9,000 undergrads, it is the perfect size: not too big, and not too small. It's only a few minutes from Boston, America's college town, and Chestnut Hill is a beautiful suburb, not to mention the fact that it was recently ranked the safest town in the US. The sports are incredible; they're all division one and are competitive every year. Football is HUGE during the fall semester, and hockey is arguably the best program of its kind in the nation. Not only are all sports games fun to watch, they foster a huge sense of school pride. In short, BC has a great academic reputation, an awesome party scene, prime location, the perfect size, competitive sports, school spirit, a beautiful campus, and a bright, friendly, and good-looking student body.

BC is the perfect middle ground. It's not urban or rural. Boston is right there but you're not in the midst of a sprawling urban campus. At 9,000 undergrads it is a medium sized school. Not a large state university or a small Christian school in the mid-west. Academics are strong, but the library is empty on Fridays and Saturdays. People have lives. We are athletic and most students go to parties on the weekends. We're a Catholic school but not everyone is Catholic and there is no converting or pressure to be Christian. The Catholic spirit is seen in the ideals by which we approach our lives - caring for others, living a socially conscious life, etc. "Pray hard, Play hard." There is a ton of school spirit - football games and tailgating are some of my greatest memories. (Hockey and Basketball are pretty awesome too).

BC's a great place. But like any other thing, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Me not a fan of a lot of kids here/ their respective demeanors. BUT, there really are some fantastic teachers and opportunities. I can only speak from the departments that I've most profligated (English numero uno) from, but really just lovely and kind people all around that often more times than not, have your best interest at heart and really passionate about their subject and teaching. And their are a number of kids that I've really grown to love. And again, this school or any other will have an adjustment period - you'll eventually find the people and topics that excite you - they're at every school, just a matter of how long it takes to find them/ how comfortable you are searching them out.

I think BC is a great sized school--it's spread out just enough to make the scenery on campus quite beautiful, and yet, after one gets adjusted, you feel like you know a good portion of the students--be it through classes, extracurriculars, or living arrangements, everyone certainly finds their niche. BC isn't plopped right in the heart of Boston, but since the city is so easily accessible I think the location is perfect--located in an upscale area, with only a short T ride into all the student hang-outs. As for school pride, the term "Screaming Eagles" doesn't say enough. BC has by far one of the biggest set of fans, from sports (football becomes a way of life in the fall) to academics to the social scene, we all know that we are truly blessed to be at such a great place.

BC is amazing. We recently beat Virgina Tech during the regular season and everyone rushed out of their dorms and had a huge rally. I will honestly remember it for the rest of my life. The teachers are good, better than most judging from the horror stories I've heard from friends back home. BC also has a reputation for a great school and with applications pouring in at an alarming rate, it is getting more and more competetive. Needless to say "Eagles on the warpath" (the BEST cheer you'll ever learn) is my motto. BC basically works hard and parties harder. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a great education and to meet awesome people - both professionally and socially.

best thing - size. i like walking around campus and seeing people i know, but also some i have yet to meet. also if you are talking to someone for awhile, you will almost always discover someone you both know. would change - housing process when i tell them i go to BC - people are impressed spend time on campus - in my room, chocolate bar college town - i love having boston so close but living in newton controversy on campus - chelsea clinton coming to speak school pride - definitely unusual - the student's DEVOTION to service trips memorable experience - going on Jamaica service trip with the Lynch school student complaints - housing lottery

BC is conveniently in Boston with easy access to the city, but still is a closed campus. You get that smaller school vibe some times. There's an amazing network of alumni, and I have found that with the Acoustics. You constantly feel a sense of community, no matter what it is you choose to be involved with at this school. It's great to go to the football games and see the sea of obnoxiously yellow superfan shirts as we all blow out our voices cheering on our ACC team. Sometimes it's difficult to not be annoyed with the BC bus system, especially Newton campus buses. I think the one thing I'd change if I could would be the housing situation.

Best thing: good lookin ladiesssss. For real. School size: just right Spend most of my time on campus: in class or in the dustbowl tossing a disc College town: absolutely BC's administration: and its students for that matter, are way too P.C. and make a big controversy out of little things. Most frequent student complaints: dining services is a rip off. We also take 5 classes, a lot of schools only take 4.