Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

I think that BC is the perfect balance of a lot of things. It is not too big, but definitely not too small. I can still go out at night and meet tons of new people, yet a have a large group of really good friends. Though the school is in the suburbs of Boston, access to the city is so easy that we get all of the benefits of being a city school without actually having to deal with the city daily. BC has its own campus, which is beautiful all year (though some people don't know how to appreciate the winter). There are so many things for people to get involved in, that if anyone complains about being bored it's because they clearly aren't trying to be a part of anything. Though athletics sometimes seem to be help on a higher level than academics, going to a school with a strong and enthusiastic athletic program is awesome. The school comes together and you really feel like something. I think that my favorite thing about the school is that for the most part, students know how to take their education very seriously and work hard, but they also definitely know how to kick back and have fun.

The best thing about BC is the small, comfortable feeling. We have a real campus and the ethnic communities here at BC are close-knit. I would say the size is just right. While there is plenty of space, it's not too much space. I can say that I know a good amount of people here. When I tell people I go to BC, they're usually really impressed. In fact, people are trying to say that BC is on an ivy-league status. Most of my time on campus is spent in my room- it's spacious and very comfortable. Although it's called Boston College, we are in the outskirts of Boston. However, it doesn't take long to get to other schools which are nearby. BC administration is pretty flexible for the most part. However, BC Police Officers aren't too friendly. The biggest controversy on campus is the history core and the racial tension. There is a lot of pride, go to any athletic game and you'll definitely see our pride! One unusual thing about BC is that one hall, Fulton Hall, is modeled after the Wizard of Oz (supposedly). I have a lot of inside experiences but I love being here at BC! Let's go Eagles!!!

The best thing about BC is how Freshmen housing is set up. Whether you are on Upper or Newton, you are completely surrounded by other Freshmen, so making friends is so easy. The only thing I would change is how they do the lottery for housing as a sophmore. I think the school is just right, I always am running into my friends and other familar faces but at the same time meet someone new at least once a week. They seem pretty impressed, and usually say "you are sooo lucky". There is a huge amount of school spirit, football games are the best time, there is nothing like a sunny saturday home game where the beer is cold and BC is winning. The most unusual part about BC is that seniors live on campus. I will never forget when BC beat V-Tech in the last 2 min. of the game... The entire campus was outside celebrating all night, it wass one of the coolest expirences of my life. There really arent many complaints except if a sophmore ends up on College Road for housing.

the best thing about bc: its got a good community vibe. though its right next to boston, which is easily accessible, most people stay on or around campus. the other best thing: the school is very involved in community service. one thing id change: the school could be a lot more environmentally friendly. Im not asking them to be obsessed about recycling or anything like that, but there is a lot of unnecessary waste. for instance, the cafeterias use big, bulky, plastic containers to transport food. why not paper boxes? WARNING: there is no art at this school. its artless. anyone interested in exploring his artistic side should go somewhere else or be prepared to do it independently. its really quite sad actually. there is a lot a lot of school pride. most people, especially the ones that buy into the mainstream 'bro' culture, love BC, especially their sports teams, which are increasingly successful.

Probably one of my favorite parts about BC is the football games. Nearly everyone goes. They are always so much fun, and the Superfan section usually takes up about a third of Alumni Stadium. Everyone tailgates before the games, so you can just walk around and see a lot of your friends. Another really great thing about BC is that its campus is in the suburbs, so you have trees, quads, etc, but the Green line is right on campus so you can take the T into the city. I grew up in Massachusetts, just south of Boston, and in my opinion, it is the greatest city on earth. You can do anything. Sports games, clubs, bars, concerts, museums, dinner... the choices are endless. This year, especially, living in Boston was fantastic. Boston College Football was ranked #2 for awhile, the Red Sox won the World Series, the Patriots went 18 - 1, and the Celtics are having a great season.

the best thing about bc are the excellent faculty. ive had some professors who truly care about educating their students to the best of their ability (susan michalczyk, david martin, ed sciore, kevin newmark) i think the student body is a good size. people don't know much about bc, they just know its in boston, so they just act surprised that i went to school far away. i spend most of my time in my room. college town? i dont understand the question. i think bc's administration does a good job, i dont really know how to judge what they do. genevieve was a decent controversy. not a lot of school pride, maybe at sporting events when we're good. nothing unusual about bc. i'll remember our notre dame trip last semester. amazing. poor dining hall food, air conditioning in dorms (even those with ac dont get it turned on until a week before school ends)

BC is a great size - not too big, not too small. as for the demographics and integration, i'd give it a lesser mark, knowing well that most of my friends are white and i am not often in a place where "branching out" would be an option. and i think i try without trying too hard, mostly because i am interested in many different people and love to be around them (though my occasional disinterest at parties would suggest otherwise). we've had a few incidents with race issues on campus, but mostly people here are addicted to facebook and will stop at nothing to have the most "official" friends, with crippling social awkwardness to match. if you have a good sense of humor and are inclined to laugh more at people than with people, BC may in fact be a good fit - there's a lot of fodder for material here, you just have to look for it!

I would describe the big picture as "students study hard, but party even harder." Students at BC are smart, case in point. Everyone worked hard in highschool, and they carried that drive into collge, otherthan the occasional athlete who slipps through the cracks. Students at BC have no problem holing themselves up in the library for five hours at a time and come finals time there isn't a seat in sight. But, once the weekend rolls around, students are just as dedicated to the party scene. Students at BC party hard and late into the night, whether they flock to the mods to celebrate a football victory and hundreds of other students or travel to some off campus house with a keg. Partying is just as important as academics at BC, and more often than not, you'll hear "I wrote this paper hungover and got an A!"

BC is a great place to go to school. There are so many opportunities to do fun things both on campus and off campus. You not only are in the suburbs which makes you feel safe but you also are so close to the city, so you have the chance to go out and explore the things that make you feel like you fit in. There is a lot of school pride on campus at BC but unfortunately the people in the surrounding communities do not feel the same. The size of the school is great because you have the chance to meet new people everyday, but you also see a lot of familiar faces walking to and from class. The overall big picture is that there are a lot of great kids here with a great future ahead of them, and the faculty and staff are appreciate that they are working with some bright students with booming personalities.

BC is awesome in that is is right outside of the city so it still has that closed campus feel while Boston is a t-ride away. While at first the size of the school may seem overwhelming, you soon see the same people all the time and it begins to feel more personal. When not at classes most student spend time at the Plex working out, hanging out with friends, going out to eat, shopping, and of course going out on weekends. Having D1 sports is awesome because there is usually a game to look forward to and football games are a ton of fun. There is usually somewhere to go on the weekends, however it can be difficult at times to find plans. Once you get to BC, you realize that partying usually takes a backseat to studying.