Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

My favorite thing about BC was the people. I met such a great group of interesting people during my four years. We bonded while we studied for classes and while we partied together. I came from a small high school and never felt very popular, but at BC, I really felt like I encountered different many circles of people and made tons of deep friendships along the way. I biggest pet peeve about BC was "the Plex", our student athletic complex. It is this hideous thirty year old building designed when the student body was much smaller. The place is always overcrowded and in need of repairs. It should really be torn down and rebuilt to double its size. BU's facilities always made BC students jealous.

School Camaraderie. Better recreation facility. Just right, always meeting new people but always seeing people you know. "Wow, good for you!" or "You must love it!" or "Lucky!". I don't have one spot, it varies between dorms, plex, food, walks, stadiums, and meetings. What college town. Very good administration, some of the best professors I could imagine (also has some decent ones that could be better). Listserv mania. LOTS of school pride, and thus one of the reasons I chose BC...superfan shirts, spirit with colors, school representation, etc. Kairos is (a retreat hosted by BC)one experience I'll always remember. Housing is a big complaint because there's not much of it.

The people are really what makes BC great, and the admissions dept and other administrative offices do a great job of facilitating interaction between complementary people. The classes and professors are also really top notch. I really think that it's a nice size, both in population and physical area. The major caveat is that the separate Newton campus is a bit of a pain, though many (myself included) enjoy living there during freshman year as a way to go "home" at the end of the day. There is a fair amount of school pride, but in the realm of sports, we cannot compare with some of the larger schools in athletic conferences like the Big 10 and SEC, to name a couple.

Football. I would'nt change anything. its location was perfect, and I felt its size was just right for me. i spent most of my time eiether in the dorms or on campus. I would not say that it was a college town, because that would mean that the town existed because of the college but it wasnt like that. BCs administration was unliked by many students for different reasons, but i find thats common on college campus. the biggest controversy at BC involved the administration and their decision to strike down a gay/lesbian/bisexual club on campus. but BC is a private, catholic institution and I understood the pressures on the administration not to allow such a group.

I spent almost all my time in the library this semester because I was taking 6 classes and my first pre-prac. Socially it was a terrible semester. I think BC is a good size, it large enough that you can avoid people you don't want to see, but small enough that you do run into friends all the time. One of the biggest complaints on campus is the food. There are only 2 main dining halls on campus, one with a very limited variety and the other has much more variety, but not enough that you wont get sick of it by the end of the semester. There are also a grab n' go or sandwich place that is really good, where they serve Starbucks, but is only open until 8.

Perfect size. Know many people when walking around campus, but meet new people up until you graduate. Social scene improves every year your there. Each year is more fun than the previous one. Academics are taken very seriously by the students. Most kids have a lot of pride in their work. This leads to a great recruiting office which provides a ton of opportunities for people after school. Sports drive a lot of the school pride. BC is unusual in that people continue to live on campus for 3 of 4 years, with most kids living off their junior year. Most frequent student complaints are about the neighborhood surrounding BC.

BC is Jesuit-Catholic, and I think it's our best feature. We encourage diversity of all kinds (religious, ethnic, racial, socioeconomic, geographic, etc etc) and all students are encouraged to discuss and learn about each other's differences because that type of dialogue is what makes us more aware of the world beyond the Boston bubble. BC's location is ideal, as we have the traditional campus AND the best college city in the States right next door. There's always something to do on the weekends, the sports are incredible, the study abroad programs are AMAZING, and, most importantly, the education you'll receive here is invaluable.

The size of BC is just right. Its small enough that you see who you want to see, and big enough to avoid those akward run-ins with people who arent so high up on your social priority list. And even though 2500 or so people in one grade sounds terrifying, BC's orientation program does a wonderful job of getting newcomers adjusted to the size. The biggest recent controversy on campus occured because of a girl abusing the listserve. The ordeal was more of a comedic relief during midterms week than a controversy. The location of Boston College is ideal for college. Suburb day life; city night life.

Gorgeous campus. Campus is beautiful, cozy, and extremely safe. Medium-sized school, but the community makes it feel smaller. Jesuit mindset = lots of service opportunities and genuinely caring professors and students. Great school for students of any religious background (I'm Jewish.) Great sport teams (but horrible fans.) Close to Boston (and yet so far.) Enough conservatives to fuel good debates (as opposed to all liberals.) Senior-year housing is phenomenal. Strict underage drinking policies cut down on partying freshmen and sophomore year, but senior year at BC is absolutely amazing.

One thing I would change about BC is that students only get three years guaranteed housing making students move off campus junior year. This is very problematic if one plans on going abroad since it is nearly impossible to find subletters and the school does little to help you (and rents in the area are very high). Furthermore, they do give fifty percent of students on-campus housng and a good deal of the students are chosen randomly...so good luck if your friends get four years housing and you don't.