Boston, MA
Boston University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston University

Lindsey

BU is a very large school that can be overwhelming but if you join clubs and don't rely on the administration for help or guidance you'll enjoy it.

The school is really large which allows you to get to know a lot of differnet people and not get stuck in one crowd. The larger size also is nice because rumors don't follw you around as much. I come from a really small high school so having the anonimity is nice.

Visit the campus! talk to people about the classes and what they think about the teachers. Ignore the tour guides, it's their jobs to make things sound good and perfect when no campus is perfect. Stay with a friend overnight if you can and attend a few different classes so you can get a feel of the professors. BU has really bad grade inflation, certain majors are curved to a B while others are curved to a C which is ridiculous. I'm a good student in the biology department and I would NOT recommend a bio major here, there is not a good assortement of classes, teachers are not very helpful, the classes are really large.

Jessie

There is always something to do in Boston. BU is a 5 minute walk from Fenway, and only a 15 minute ride or less by train to the middle of the city. Copley Square (where all the sports partying goes on) is a 5-10 minute walk, and every year the atmosphere for all the sports teams is amazing. There is a lot of pride for our hockey team. Most people attend at least a few games a year and you can get into every single sporting event by paying a one time $90 fee at the beginning of the year. Classes are usually no bigger than 150 people (depending on what your major is). BU may be one of the most expensive schools in the country, but they give a lot of financial aid and scholarships to help out. Whatever you pay is worth the experience of living on your own in one of the greatest cities in the country.

Mostly all the students are very Liberal. I don't think any student could feel out of place, and if you do, it is probably because you haven't put forth the effort to make friends or join clubs. Many BU students are from the Boston area/Massachusetts and New York, but they come from all over the world. it represents about every single state plus at least 50 international countries. Talk is intellectual if you want it to be, but it can also be light and funny. Students come from all financial backgrounds and the school is relatively diverse.

Some are some aren't. There are always those special cases where they are true and they are false.

In the big lectures, teachers will get to know your names if you go to office hours. Academics go as far as you take it yourself. If you want to know your professor, they will want to know you. In the smaller classes, the professors like to get close to all the students, and usually professors teach more than one class level, so you may have the professor again. I am in the School of Education, and in your freshman year you experience 60 hours in an elementary school classroom for one full semester. It is great to be able to observe the very first year. ED100/101 is a "weeding out" course to see who really wants to be a teacher and who should reconsider. Coming out of BU, you will receive one of the best educations in the country and will be seen as a top contender for any job position.

The most important sport is the hockey team. As for clubs, there are over 100, and if you cannot find one you want to join, it is very easy to create one. My closest friends were the ones i met on my floor or through my job. Most people in the dorms are very friendly and I heard of little roommate drama. Most people are up late every night doing homework, so if you're a late worker, you'll have plenty of company. You can go to a bunch of party any weekend. You can also stay in and watch a movie or go out into the city. No one gets made fun of for not drinking or partying. Frats and sororities are not nearly as dominant as most other schools, but you can go to them and have a good time if that's your thing.

They're not as smart as BC kids or other Boston area schools, there are few African-Americans (this is true), it's an all girls school (this is also almost true with an over 60-40 ratio)

BU is a college whose "campus" is spread along Commonwealth Avenue in Boston. For me, it was the perfect mix of a college experience, and a city-integrated university. Having come from a smaller town, Boston was a great place to attend school. As a city, Boston is a comfortably sized, moderately populated, entertaining city that was fun and exciting to explore during my four years there. With the newly built Agganis Arena, many huge music acts as well as sports team land on the BU campus during their tours through the country, making it a great place spend a Friday night for BU students and Bostonians alike. The on- campus housing is impressively beautiful, particularly if one stays on campus until their junior or senior years, when one becomes eligible to live in the new high-rise of 10 Buick Street. I lived in 10 Buick for a year and still have yet to find another apartment that rivals it in terms of comfort and it's unmatched view of Boston along the Charles river. The largest complaint overall is the price of tuition. At $40,000 and rising, it can be an added burden that sometimes can raise question marks when places such as the Fine Arts Building or the College of General Studies suffer from long-overdue ned of renovation. However, that voice is being heard to some extent - on a recent trip back to BU, I saw changes being made not only within those colleges, but across campus. It is definitely a college for people wanting a more city-integrated experience within a large university.

Again, my time at BU was mainly spend within the College of Fine Arts, where I was fortunate enough to have a close knit community of friends. BU's campus is a large one with an even larger population of students. At times it can be hard and overwhelming to meet new people, but overall I would say that I was surprised with the diversity and friendliness of BU students. To go into the GSU, a popular place to eat and study, one would see a room full of 100+ tables with moderately diverse students. Most of which would be eating a slice of pizza or a salad while studying with a group of 10 or more other classmates, all with lap tops open. It seemed to me that while there were a good number of students from the Northeast, the balance came in students from not only other parts of the country, but from overseas as well. BU benefits from a large number of study abroad programs across all Colleges and Majors. People always felt open to letting me and other friends join in at a table or in a game of frisbee on the BU beach.

On a side note, I was at BU during the beginning of the war in Irag, and was impressed by the voices raised at BU. I participated in several walk outs and protests that were supported by faculty and administration alike. BU was really where I was able to find others with similar political leanings as my own, and it provided me with an open space to be able to explore that side of myself. While I am speaking from a bit of a liberal point of view, there was certainly space for conservative voices as well.

To some extent, certainly there are a great many people who can attend BU and pay for the $40,000+ tuition without the aid of student loans, grants, or scholarships. However, I knew a lot of people who worked their way through BU, received scholarships and grants, and came from households similar to my own.

My experience is limited to the College of Fine Arts, where I was an acting major and had a wonderful and unique experience. I would recommend BU highly to anyone looking for an intensive conservatory style training while also having the "college experience" of growing and finding one's self within a university setting. My teachers were not only passionate and strong in the classroom, but always had their doors open for conversation and questions. My biggest "regret" is not taking advantage of the university's liberal arts classes as much as I could have. While I took a few wonderful classes in art history and photography, there were classes with such acclaimed professors as Eli Weisel that I wish I had taken greater advantage of.

I wasn't involved in any BU groups, although there would be many advertised all over campus. I met my closest friends in class, and roaming around the dorms during freshman year. On the weekends, we would typically go to parties at friends' houses. There was a larger party-population at BU which included the few Greek organizations on campus, and while those always had a reputation for being great fun, I only found myself at one or two during my time in school. Often, friends and I would go around the city to eat in Boston's "little Italy" the North End, or catch a Red Sox game, or go to a local bar and shoot pool. The benefit, for me, of going to college within a city was there was never seemed to be a shortage of anything to do. Even if I wanted to spend some time alone, I could go to the park or to a museum to spend a few hours in quiet. The dating scene at BU is probably similar to that of any larger university. I dated guys I was in classes with or knew from friends, and while I didn't make it through my 4 years with my college sweetheart, many of my friend are will with the people they began dating while at BU.

I sometimes ran across the stereotype that all BU students are extremely wealthy - an understandable assumption based on the high tuition prices. However, I come from a middle class family with a modest income. It was with hard work and scholarships that I attended BU.

Ryan

What's the best thing about BU? Being right in the middle of Boston Name one thing you'd change. The non-major course requirements. Is your school too large, too small, or just right? Just right How do people react when you tell them you go to BU? No big reaction, positive or negative Where do you spend most of your time on campus? School of Management and the BU Pub College town, or "what college town?" College town! What's your opinion of BU's administration? They're pretty cool What was the biggest recent controversy on campus? Losing the Beanpot. Is there a lot of school pride? Not a ton, but enough Is there anything unusual about BU? They film MIT movies here because we're just that good. What's one experience you'll always remember? the 2004 world series, obviously What are the most frequent student complaints? housing rules and financial aid

What are your experiences with racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, and/or other groups on campus? none What kind of student would feel out of place at BU? introverts What do most students wear to class? hoodies and jeans Do different types of students interact? of course There are four tables of students in the dining hall. Describe them. hockey players, boys way too into video games, a group of girls, and a coed group that probably has class together Where are most BU students from? New Jersey What financial backgrounds are most prevalent? middle to upper middle class re students politically aware / active? a bit Are they predominantly left, right or center? both Do students talk about how much they'll earn one day? only in Management

They are all false, except there isn't too much financial aid and there is a decent amount of school spirit and campus life (you just have to elect to get involved).

Do professors know your name? yes Tell us about your favorite class. the professor is hilarious and the work wasn't too difficult Least favorite? I hate math. How often do students study? depends, anywhere from 3-20 hours a week Is class participation common? very Do BU students have intellectual conversations outside of class? yes Are students competitive? very What's the most unique class you've taken? Africa Today Tell us about your major / department. The OM department is amazing - thanks to the course offerings and faculty Do you spend time with professors outside of class? occassionally How do you feel about BU 's academic requirements? they're fair Is the education at BU geared toward getting a job, or learning for its own sake? a little of both, but more just about the learning

What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? hockey and broomball Tell us about a group you’re involved with. as a Dean's Host, I give tours of the school and work at the Dean's functions Do students in dorms leave their doors open? only when they're still on the floor How popular are athletic events? hockey is popular. the rest, not so much Guest speakers? we have some great ones Theater? not so much Tell us about the dating scene. it's Boston, there's college students and yuppies everywhere How did you meet your closest friends? freshmen year class If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? before senior year, studying...senior year, drinking What traditions/events happen each year? knightings at the pub, beanpot, painting the rock How often do people party? every weekend or so How important are fraternities/sororities? not at all What did you do last weekend? drank with friends What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn’t involve drinking? anything - explore the city, go to a show or movie, hang out with friends, go out to eat in the North End What do you do off campus? shop, explore the city, eat out

We're rich, no one gets financial aid, College of General Studies students are dumb, we have no campus (and thus no school spirit), the stacks in the library are great for sex.

Kelly

Even though I'm not involved with it, the BU Catholic Center is really welcoming, especially Sister Olga. What you wear to class depends on what school you're in. The School of Management kids and the College of Communication have a rep for being really well-dressed all the time. I'm in the College of Arts and Sciences and I wear the same sweatpants 3 days a week. A student looking for a lot of school spirit or a typical college campus environment would hate BU. All types of students interact. 4 tables in the dining hall: 1) A stressed out kid that didn't sleep last night who has Bio notes covering 2 tables. 2) 6 girls who look exactly the same and are all wearing Tory Burch flats and Longchamp bags, but in different colors and are talking about a mixer with some frat. 3) Guys that just got out of practice from some sport that are eating more food than you can believe. 4) That's all the classifiable-looking groups I can think of right now. Most BU students are from the Northeast, but there are students from everywhere. Really, everywhere. You hear people speaking in different languages constantly. A lot of students are from wealthy backgrounds because it's such an expensive school, but not all. Some students are VERY politically active, but most aren't. Predominantly left. Not really.

The dining hall muffins are fantastic.

It depends which class. My favorite classes are the Core Curriculum classes in the College of Arts and Sciences. Least favorite: Intro to International Relations. Students study a lot. Class participation is mandatory in most discussions. Intellectual conversations outside of class depend on the student I think. I don't spend time with my professors outside of class, but the Dean of Students just participated in a student musical, and then invited us all over for dinner, and it was fabulous. Education is geared toward learning for its own sake.

The sports scene at BU is pathetic. The hockey team is the only sport that gets a lot of attention. Even the sports that we're good at, like girl's soccer, have terrible fan attendance at games. We don't have a football team. It doesn't exist. I thought they were joking at on the tour for prospective students, it wasn't until I got here that I realized they weren't kidding. There are a lot of opportunities for kids interested in theater. Personally, I'm involved with Stage Troupe, a student-run theater group for non-acting-majors. It's been a blast, and a great way to meet friends. My freshman year we always left our door open, but there have been a couple sexual assault incidents this year, and now we're all encouraged to lock our doors especially at night. I met my closest friends either from living together freshman year, or from doing theater. The dating scene sucks for girls: in a group of 20 students, 7 are guys, and 3 are straight. I'm awake at 4:54am on a Thursday, and I am filling out this survey at the Information Technology computer lab. I do not recommend coming here if you have deadlines or hope to complete actual work. There are always parties if you know where to find them. Greek life is not a big presence on campus. Last weekend I was in a dinner theater performance of Anything Goes. We live in Boston, there are a thousand things to do off campus. If you have a 2 hour break between classes you can go to walk around on Newbury Street.

Xavier

I love being in the city. I would change the mascot, and perhaps the 'brothel rule', as I see that as unfair. Plus, I know that from where I come from (southern states) it's a blast to have fraternity and sorority houses co-mingling. People always seem to find BU to be quite prestigious when I tell them I go there, but at the same time, they find it strange that I didn't get into the University of Florida. This is the epitome of a college town, with far more of the city geared toward the college crowd than any other major city I can think of. BU's administration seems to be solid, and I certainly am no expert by any means, but the cost to benefit ratio seems astronomical. There is a $90 fee hidden in the meal plan to account for stolen food items? Who can steal $90 worth of food? There is a decent amount of school pride, but with no football program to speak of, and teams that receive a lot of money but don't put out many wins, it's hard to get a campus motivated. In a small town with a big campus, such as George Mason, BC, FSU, UF, etc. it's easy to get the campus to go to games, because there isn't much else. But Boston has so much to offer that there sports games aren't always the top priority of the student body.

There is a large gay population as well as Jewish population at BU, but I haven't come across any dissonance toward any student group on campus. In fact, I really enjoy learning from the wide variety of students. Before college I never really knew what entailed when colleges boasted about their 'diversity'. But now that I learn constantly from my Serbian, South African, and Japanese friends, it opens up my eyes to a world I knew was there, but couldn't grasp until it was described to me from someone's individual point of view.

I feel like there is a campus, and that each college is what you make it. Certainly, BC has a lovely campus, but they are neither a college, nor are they in Boston. At BU we have the opportunity to truly live in the city, which comes with myriad experiences. That way we learn as much from the city and culture around us as we do from the classroom.

I know my professors names, but I never get to know the professors of the big lectures. The TA's deal with most of the students anyway. In the Metropolitan College I feel most connected with the teachers, considering the small class size. A lot of BU students have great intellectual conversations outside of class. There are heated debates on politics, religion, and philosophy constantly around my floor and friends. It sounds stupid to say that, but when you break down your conversations, it's amazing to think that you're truly discussing those topics.

Many consider BU to be the "strip mall of America", and thus are disgusted by the fact that there is no real campus.

Becca

Excellent faculty. Boston is an incredible city for students. Dean Elmore is a great Dean of students, President Brown is a figure head (with a mansion). Lots of red tape, EVERYTHING costs money. BU is more concerned with money (and hockey) than students. Best housing is the brownstones (specialty residences or otherwise). Recent controversies include girls being assaulted at night and kids signing in people they didn't know into large residences resulting in assault.

Very active and large Jewish population. Mostly white, Indian, or asian. BU very accepting of all religions and sexual orientations. I feel very out of place at BU (from a small town, nature-loving, middle-class). Everyone is very friendly, though. Most students are from NY, NJ, Mass, or CA. Lots of pre-med students. BU has a good seven year medical program. Lots of poli sci, IR majors. Frighteningly rich kids!

The type of kids at a college is important to consider. Check out the percentage of kids from private high schools.

Professors in small classes know your name. Best and most unique class is ASL (offered at night). Mostly lecture style classes (plus labs for sciences). Very strong physcis and earth sciences department. No architecture. I came in as a freshman and fufilled all basic requirements through AP test credits. Not many students enthusiastic about learning.

Hockey is the only popular sport. Good theater, dance, music opportunities. Lots of organizations to choose from. Closest friends met in class and dorm. Most people party on weekends, mostly at MIT frats or BU dorms. BU Central puts on free events for weekend nights but not many students attend.

Spoiled ditzy rich kids. Good academic reputation.

Tristan

Best thing about BU is the campus -- once the beautification project is done, it will be arguably the best urban campus in the US. The campus is what makes BU unusual. Worst thing is that we don't have football, so when the ice hockey team sucks (like it does this year), there's nothing to root for. BU's administration has taken great steps in recent years to be more in-tune with the student body -- they've added cable to dorms, added nice housing, built a fantastic gym, and revised the guest policy for dorms. Definitely on the up-swing.

BU = BE YOU. This is taken quite literally, and you'll see a little bit of everything on campus -- gays/lesbians/transgendered, punks, preps, snobs, anime, Euro, blacks, whites, hispanics and literally everything in between. This makes for a rather liberal atmosphere. As I mentioned, SMG kids are snobby and think they have the best program at BU -- really they just have the best building. The SMG sluts, as I like to call them, are some of the most obnoxious people on campus. The thing about BU, however, is that even though there is a huge number of obnoxious, rich, fake-tanned, Mac-using, Starbucks-drinking, New Yorker/ New Jersey-type people here, there are also thousands of other people that you can meet. The size really allows almost anyone to find their niche.

BU's blessing is its curse; the city of Boston. The city is wonderful, an extension of our campus. But Boston is also home to some of the most prestigious schools in the world, and BU is never able to fully shine in all its greatness when it's constantly in the shadow of these other schools. BU is constantly underrated, and a lot of people at BU are ungrateful and don't know how good they've got it here. I also hate those rankings that show BU so low compared to other Universities. This school is fucking hard! I've learned SO MUCH here -- about myself, about my major, about the business world, about LIFE! I feel well prepared as I'm about to graduate. I wish more people thought BU was as great of a school as I do.

I think most people are well off, but with 16000 undergrads, definitely not everyone is wealthy. BU does great with financial aid, so not everyone comes from families with the means to pay almost $50000/year. As far as back-up ivy, I'd say that's fairly accurate. Definitely over 50% of people came to BU because their first choice school, usually and Ivy, rejected them (or BU gave them considerably more money).

I love my major, but I hate the business of it, so I won't be doing advertising after college. The professors are really great at bringing real-world senarios in to the classroom, and are wonderful at helping students find jobs, internships, etc. They are really dedicated to their students. It is a little cut-throat, but the business of advertising is, so that's to be expected. They definitely have the resources available -- in terms of clubs, professors, workshops, career centers and the like --- to help you become successful. SMG professors and students are all very stuck up about their program. The professors tell the students that SMG stands for "Sex Money and Greed" (it really means School of Management). They consider themselves better than the rest of the University, even though they're NOT the best program at BU. The College of Communication, School of Hospitality Administration, the College of Fine Arts, many programs in the Sargent College, BioMed in Engineering, and various other programs are all considered some of the best programs of their kind, while SMG is just breaking in to the top 30 management programs. They really need to get over themselves. Also grade deflation is way over-exaggerated. It may happen once in a while, but it's definitely not a rampant problem like some students complain it is. Everyone comes in to BU as an A student and not everyone can leave that way. BU puts tons of resources at your finger tips, you just have to take the initiative to use them. College isn't suppose to be easy!

Not many traditions -- BU needs more! Off-campus has fun parties, but you gotta know where to look. Freshman year can be hard to find parties, but Sophomore year can be awesome. Freshman year definitely start off in Warren Towers, the Towers, or West Campus. That's the best way to make friends -- I had a blast. Partying is totally your choice - some people do it, some don't. There are plenty of things to get involved in other than

BU students are sterotyped as rich. BU is sterotyped as an ivy-league-reject school

Jason

Boston is (I'm not the first to say this) the perfect college town! That having been said, BU might be a bit too big--both in the size of the campus and the number of students that go here. The campus has 3 T stops (BU East, Central, and West), but the actually campus spreads out even farther. As an English major, as for most majors, almost all of my classes are in one building, so going from class to class is not really an issue. What it does mean, however, is that students in different programs are pretty much entirely cut off from each other. I'm in an a cappella group, so I have rehearsals in the College of Fine Arts building on occasion. If I didn't, though, I would never see much of West Campus at all.

Not at all. I was really surprised to hear that about the girls here, because relatively few of them fit that stereotype. That's not to say that there are no parties, there definitely are, but people know how to balance their social life and their academics--and the students generally have a good head on their shoulders.

The student-professor relationship is entirely up to the student. All professors have office hours that students can attend (which is HIGHLY recommended!). The professors here are incredibly open to talking and getting to know their students. It is smart to come up with some questions from class (even if you actually understand the material) to justify using the office hours.

BU Hockey is huge, and many students get really involved with the BU vs. BC rivalries. However, overall there is not much school spirit. If you meet somebody who went to BU but has since graduated, even if you are in an entirely different state, there is little to no enthusiasm in that common ground. This ties in with the size of the school. There are SO many students that the BU Experience is entirely different for every person. There are people in your graduating class who you might see for the first time on the day you graduate.

I wasn't aware that it was a stereotype until a couple of my co-workers(who don't go to BU) made a comment to me about it, but apparently girls at BU are stereotyped as party-going ditzes. I've also heard that BU is composed of kids who didn't get into their top-choice schools.

Boston University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.