Boston, MA
Boston University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston University

Boston is one the best things about BU. It is such an amazing city to be a student in. Also, BU is such a huge school that there is always stuff going on and there all a million and a half things to do. Because it is so big, though, there tends to be a lot of paperwork and beaurocratic drag. Things take a while to get through the system. I would deffinitly have less red tape, though I understand why it's there. On the flip side, BU does a great job of making such a big school seem small and personable. My advisor is awesome, and Dean Elmore is basically great all the time (case and point he just tap-danced in dinner theater). Hockey is where all the school pride is; Boston is a great college hockey town. Also, a lot of pride goes to Boston sports in general. Even if you're from California you'll probably get sucked into Red Sox fever.

BU is deffinitly an urban campus. I came from a college town back home in CO where everyone basically wore pajamas to class. Not so much in downtown Boston. I think about what I put on in the morning a bit more, which is probably a good thing. There are a lot of upper middle class white kids here, which surprised me. Most students are heavily involved in a million things, you tend to get overcommitted very fast. This being an election year, students are much more politically active. Boston is a liberal city, so that tends to be the dominant view. A lot of people are focussed on getting prepared for the job force and climbing the corporate ladder, more than I expected, but that's probably because we have a good School of Management. There are a lot of students from New Jersey and Long Island, oh the tri-state area.

BU does a good job of shrinking the school, but it really is up to the individual student to get involved. It's your own choice to be noticed or slip through the cracks. BU's study abroad is really good too- lots of choices. Also, the dinning hall is really not bad at all.

Sometimes. But don't worry ladies, I've met lots of cool guys.

One of things that surprised me when I got to college at BU was the focus within the classes. I was expecting to make all my friends in my classes but no one tells you that everyone just shows up in 'class mode' and is really focussed and doesn't really talk outside of it. Of course you meet people later though. I've deffinitly had a mix of big lectures and really small specific seminar type classes. I'm only a second semester freshman and my largest class is probably only like 70 people. My smallest right now is 12. Professors are all different but going to office hours is deffinitly the key to good standing, it helps if they can recognize your face if the class is really big. Most the of the professors have led really awesome lives, just get them to tell their stories. Because BU has such a diverse student population in the sense of academic focus, you can really find your niche wherever. I got lucky on my floor because generally we're quiet so it's easy to get studying done. Other dorms tend to be crazier- it just depends where you are. I feel like the requirements aren't bad, but that is only because I got credit for all of them from AP/IB scores (soo worth it I promise!). College is obviously harder than high school, but the adjustment to BU really isn't that bad. There are lots of tutoring places and writing centers. Of course, we are right across the river from Havard so anything seems chill in comparison.

I'm involved in a theater group called Stage Troupe, which is very popular on campus. All the shows are student run and everyone involved is a non-theater major so there's a lot of different skills comming in. Again, Hockey is big. There is no football team at BU (though we do have a statue of Mr. Agganis in a football uniform hmm...). Especially as a freshman, you meet a billion people in like 2 days. Most people leave their doors open and everyone just all of a sudden becomes outgoing. Everyone is in the same boat so it's ok. Things tend to settle down a bit seconds semester, there are more routines, and friends get closer or drift apart. My roomates and I are really close, but people tend to meet friends in their extracurricular areas. My schedule deffinitly shifted at college. I used to go to bed like 11pm and get up at 6:30am for High School. Now, a weekday night is probably till like 1am and someone will taste my wrath if I see daylight before 9am. Never take 8am classes! Traditions tend to be withing your groups because BU is so big. Though I'm excited for Marathon Monday. Greek life is here but not huge. One of my roomates joined a sorority, not my thing really. There are lots of things to do on the weekends that don't involved alcohol, I promise. Boston is a city, so there are lots of city things to do. I also love a good old fashion movie night with the roomates.

There aren't that many stereotypes because a lot of different types of people go here. Although one would be that there are NO GUYS! and the ones that are here date each other.

Gene

The best thing about BU is definitely the people. I'd probably change the cost of school - $45K gets to be a bit much for the pockets. BU felt small for me, but I'm in a serious minority on that. Adding more students would cause chaos in Boston, not just for housing, but for the lines at the student union. When I say I went to BU, people gasp in excitement, and say, "Oh wow, that's so cool!" That is, until I say, "Yea, it was alright." I spent most of my time on campus at the GSU, and not in class. I guess Boston IS a 'college town' because I didn't see anybody over the age of 25 anywhere... I think BU's administration wastes money like it's their job - because it IS their job. Look no further than the Daniel Goldin debacle. I also think that they're behind the times. The biggest recent controversy (when I was there) was the Daniel Goldin thing, I think. That was after John Silber dismissed gays as a subspecies. A lot of school pride? Not really - because there's nothing to really rally behind. So, there's no collective school pride amongst students, but there is a personal feeling of "Wow, I go to BU." It's unusual that - for a school so diverse - there are so few Black students.

Didn't (fmr. President) John Silber take away funding for the LGBT or something? There aren't many Blacks for a school so diverse, and I didn't spend any time at Hillel (even though I told my Jewish parents that I did). There aren't too many cliques, and I think that it's easy to make different kinds of friends from all different backgrounds. You're going to be living in Boston - of course it's going to be left-of-center when it comes to politics. No one, outside of the kids in SMG, is bragging about how much money they'll make...although you'll hear a lot of other students practically crying over how little they'll make.

I really did like BU, now that I think about it. I just didn't like the idea of going to classes.

Sure, there are a lot of kids from the New York suburbs, and yes - they'll be, for the most part, well-off. However, Boston University touts themselves as the 'second-most diverse school' in the nation, as long as one ignores the fact that there's so few African-American students. BU is a safety school in the same way that BC is an exciting school - one's not harder to get into than the other, it's just that you'll have a lot more fun at BU. Sure, there's no green pasture that students can call a 'quad' - unless you call the BU Beach anything but a sad patch of grass - but a city campus is just as easy to navigate and congregate on as a big state school. I mean, everything's pretty much all on Commonwealth Avenue, so it's pretty tough to get lost or overwhelmed.

Most professors didn't know my name, because I didn't really go to class much. I'm sure if I did, they would have. I took my favorite class my senior year, a creative writing seminar - my teacher was this incredible grad student who I've kept in touch with ever since I graduated almost-three years ago. My freshman year, I took only classes that were after 11am, so that would explain why I ended up as the only white and the only Jewish kid in a Chinese Literature class. Good course to take, though. I found that kids don't study until they need to. I think it was a requirement for people to participate in class - professors would say that it was 15% of a student's grade - although I talked to professors after the semester had ended, and they said it was all bullshit to have the classroom not sit silent for an hour. BU students can and will have intellectual conversations outside of class - that is, if you steer clear of the idiot sorority girls and frat boys. American Studies was the perfect major choice for me, as I was able to study whatever I wanted, as long as it fit into the American culture in some way. So, I studied rap music and hip-hop culture, and now I work in that industry.

Does BU have athletics? JKJKJKJ! I was involved with the Daily Free Press, which was great, but I've heard it's gone way downhill in the years since I graduated. It allowed me to feel like I was part of something bigger, and yet still feel like I was making a large contribution to my future. In the freshman/sophomore dorms, most doors are left open. You're weird if your door's closed. Elie Wiesel speaks every year, and I'm not going to lie, I fell asleep both times I went. At 2AM on a Tuesday night, I'd be coming home from Karaoke Tuesdays at T's Pub, because all of the bars close by then. Is there anything better than Marathon Monday? No. I didn't drink all throughout college - and I still don't - and I had a great time going out to clubs when I was underage, going to bars when I was 21+, and just hanging out most of the time at people's apartments. There's so many people and opportunities that you can just do whatever you want, whenever you want.

When people think of Boston University, images of snotty Long Islanders and spoiled kids from Westchester spring to mind. BC hockey fans chant out "Safety School" when referring to BU. High school seniors always worry about a school with 'no campus'. Still, most people think it's a pretty great academic university, and an exciting one at that.

Chris

One thing I will never forget about BU happened last year during finals time. During finals, the Mugar Library is open 24/7, and many students take advantage of this time to get some actual studying done. For me, I can't study at home, especially now that I live off campus and I'm 21--far too many distractions. I was here until the early hours of the morning several times, and I started to notice a certain girl who was always in the same spot on the second floor. She always looked disheveled and nervous, flipping through notes frantically, making flashcards, highlighting textbooks, etc. It was on about my third night in the library during finals period that I noticed the smell. There was a cloud of odor around this poor girl that was like gym socks and wet hamster. As I left at around 2 that morning, I saw some purple fabric poking out from underneath the table where the smelly girl had formerly been sitting--she brought a sleeping bag, and spent literally 24 hours a day during study periods in the library! It wasn't like she had chosen a particularly inconspicuous spot, either; she was right in the middle of the main hallway! I understand trying to get some studying done, but is it really necessary to camp out in the library? BU is really not THAT academically challenging. At least she could've bathed...

I have had some experience the past few years working with two BU theater groups, Stage Troupe and BU On Broadway. The former does primarily straight stage shows and the latter musicals, and I've worked for both mainly in a technical capacity. I've worked construction before, and enjoy building things. There is nothing quite like being there from the moment a set is designed all the way through the construction, erection, painting and decoration process, and then watching how the actors use the space you've built to put on a show. Both of these groups have tremendously talented membership, and Stage Troupe has the resources and facilities to put up some very technically challenging shows. I have loved working with both organizations, and have met some of my best friends through these activities. I think it's something about working side by side with people until 3 AM trying to level a set of doors or something--by the end you're either going to love them or you'll hate them. With Troupe and OB, chances are you'll have made a friend.

Something that I think is lacking in BU presently is a sense of activism or civic duty. We're living in such a contentious time and yet there is hardly any political presence on campus. I don't think I've seen more than a handful of protest-type events since I've been here, and issues of national or international importance are seldom discussed on a large forum. I understand that there are many things going on, but the Greenpeace petitioners freezing their asses off outside CAS shouldn't be the only people with a mission and a message out there. I think we need to take our power as students more seriously, whether it be to campaign for the next president or protest international violence or domestic torture or whatever the cause. We have a shitload of voices here, and I feel like all that's lacking is people and passion to rally those voices to do something good.

To a certain extent yes I suppose they are. There are people who get dolled up for class like they're going to a club, and many of these same people drive their Beemers to class. I once heard it said that you know you go to BU when half of the class is on 75% financial aid while the other half could buy their own island country. This is probably a stretch--I'd say less than 25% of BU students are capable of purchasing an island. As with anything, it's all in who you chose to associate yourself with. You can hang out with the real, interesting people that go here, or you can surround yourself with douchebags.

I am a double-major in English and psychology, and I have to say that I prefer the way the English department operates. They have small classes and faculty that, aside from being simply passionate about and good at what they do, have a genuine interest in teaching. You can tell when they are in class that they want to be there, and English professors are I've found the most consistently available for office hours, to discuss and revise assignments, etc. Granted, this might have something to do with the small size of the school and the nature of the topics, but the system definitely works for me. I also like the flexibility of an English major at BU. There is a system of required courses, and some specific classes that you need to take (none of them insufferable) but for the most part a range of topics and course numbers is available, and you are able to pick those classes that most interest you. In one semester I took one class on the Contemporary American Novel (the main requirement for a book to make the reading list was that its author be still alive) and individual author courses on Emerson and Milton. I loved them, and the professors definitely brought the class to life with their passion about their subjects. Without personal experience it's hard for me to contrast this experience to other schools, but I've had friends from the College of Engineering for example tell me that they weren't even able to consider studying abroad because of the number of required classes and the frequency at which they were offered. One missed class put her off schedule, and she had to take summer classes just to get back up to par.

I believe I am typical of many students at BU in saying that some of my most enduring friendships were formed freshman year while living in the Warren Towers residence hall (the second largest non-military dorm in the country, as they never tire of telling you on tours). My floor just seemed to mesh from the beginning of the year, and it was definitely the kind of place where doors were open and people were in and out of each other's rooms all the time. We drank together, played cards together (in particular the card game Mafia, generally at around 2 AM in the common room after everyone got home--we may have gotten a few noise complaints), watched movies and sports; I'll never forget when the Red Sox won the world series in 2004 and we crowded into a corner room, shifting our attention from the news on TV to the real scene right before our eyes before deciding to venture outside and see the riot. I lived with six other guys from that floor my sophomore year, and have continued to split an apartment with one of them ever since. We've never really lost touch, and I think that's one of the benefits of the larger dormitory-style residences. There are simply so many people to meet--even if your floor doesn't come together like mine did, there are 17 floors in each of 3 towers. That's a lot of people, and definitely one of the perks of going to such a big school.

Aside from the fact that BC seems to think we're full of their rejects (can't ditch that "safety school" chant and hockey games) I think BU gets a bad rap for being home of the JAPs, the WASPs, and other rich white stereotypes that don't have acronyms. I didn't even know what either of those terms meant before I came to BU. I guess the impression is one of spoiled or entitled rich kids, a stereotype you can definitely see by reading The Weekly Dig or the Phoenix and reading their complaint sections.

KC

The best thing about BU is the campus. Of course, its big and its located right in Boston but its a great college town! My school is not so big at least not for me but just the right size. When I do tell people back home that I go to BU, they are often impressed and frankly I don't disagree. Boston University is a great university with divers majors and so many other opportunities. I love the BU administration here. I feel since I more involved in my school I know more administrators all of which have such a passion towards the students here. If you're walking down the street, they'll greet you and even though they might not know your name, those two seconds they take out of their day to say "hello" makes you feel good. Concerning school pride, I don't think we have a lot of it. We do brag about our hockey team but not that many or even the majority of BU students attend the games.

I feel that we could do some more about diversity here on campus. Sure, we have all types of students here from so many different backgrounds but we could use some more minorities on campus. The dress code here on campus is different from everyone else. We do have a lot of tights going around now matched with boots and the typical showing off of the "UGGS". That of course applies to the ladies on campus. For the men, they have so many different brands on them. As a girl I notice Hollister, Gap, some punk and goth here and there too. I think financially, we have a lot of upper middle class and a lot of upper class here on campus. This school is very expensive and I know not everyone is able to get financial aid or grants so I do see a lot of kids with so many expensive things on them which makes me think that they are very well-off. Students should be politically aware but we don't have that much going around on campus. We do have events here organized by the Democrats or Republicans on campus. We occasionally get the political activist group, "La Rouche", on campus usually harassing the students. We joke around here and call the "The Douche" because we hate it when they badger us with their very strong and opinionated political beliefs.

This one is false. We have so much diversity on our campus and you don't necessarily have to lookd behind the door in order to see it.

Professors do not know your name unless you introduce yourselves to them. It's very hard for them to memorize 200 + students' names but that doesn't take the "good" about the course they're teaching. If you want to be known to your professor, you have to make it happen. Students are of course very competitive. Everyone is competitive here. We want to be the best and at the top of our class. In order to do that, you have to single yourself out and be the exception. The only thing I don't like really about academic requirements are the college writing courses we have to take our freshman year. We have a bundle of books to read and so many essays and papers to write. Other than that, there isn't much I would complain about. BU is definitely all about getting a job afterwards. There are job fairs here for anyone who wants to come and see what they can do after graduation. I'm an education major and I know for sure I will have a job and BU has great connections.

I am involved in Chi Alpha Christian fellowship which is currently one of the best things I could ever be involved in. I love going every Friday nights and singing with my friends and talking about our weekly issues and then praying about them. We have an awesome leadership team that is always there to encourage us and makes me feel like I am home sometimes. The dating scene I guess is poorly. The female to male ratio here in BU is 60:40. We, women, don't have many options since the majority of the males here, we feel are either gay or just sketchy. If I am awake at 2am on Tuesday, its because I am doing homework. I just did that last night! Fraternities and Sororities isn't that big on campus. I am in an interest group for a latin sorority which is great for me but I feel many do not bother to get to know a lot of frats or sororities. It's not on a BU student's agenda really. On Saturday nights, things that don't involved drinking are going out salsa dancing or going to the movies. You can occasionally go to the wonderful "Cheesecake Factory" which is by far my favorite place in the world!!

I think one stereotype about BU is all the white "kids" who come here. You can barely see anyone that isn't white on campus.

Regina

I'd say the best thing about being at BU is really just being in Boston and being surrounded by people who are your age and with your same lifestyle all the time. Mostly I'd just change some aspects of dorm life like the fact that we have to sign in guests and that you can't go into a building other than your own after 2am. I understand it's for safety, but it's really inconvenient. And with all the money coming into the school, it's amazing how little of it is coming into the living conditions and is pouring straight into new facilities. There is one really good dining hall on campus which has pretty good options, and there is a nice student central where a lot of people go to meet and spend time between classes. One thing I really like is being able to walk around campus and see a new face every day. There are something like 40,000 students at this school, and yet somehow, surrounded by all these complete strangers, I feel like I know everyone. The school really does shrink as soon as you settle in and meet people and get into the swing of things. I spend most of my time in my dorm in West Campus, which is like its own little community. I'm sure it's not the most proud school, but I really love seeing people really happy to be here and showing pride at sporting events and functions. Thus far, the things I'll remember most are the goofy things I've done with friends.

There really is diversity here, even though I've heard complaints that it's still a very compartmentalized. I can certainly say I've met more people of any different race, religion, or other group than I ever did in suburban Connecticut, which is really refreshing. And I feel like I'm telling people about myself too by sharing stories about where I'm from. I've also found that even people who seem really similar have completely different experiences based on things like where they're from and how they're raised. One thing I have noticed is that you very rarely see someone wearing pajamas or sweatpants to classes. Maybe it's because the people here are very expressive with their clothes or maybe it's because they're not separated on a campus but are out in the city and are going to have other people looking at them, but most people dress really nicely, even for class. Students are very politically active and usually pretty wealthy, and are pretty opinionated and have aspirations.

not at all. the people here work really hard and all wanted to be here. while the school is really expensive and most of the people here are able to afford it, there is a hugely diverse group of people here from all different backgrounds.

I'd say all of my professors know my name, even though most people assume that BU is too big for that. My favorite class is my Literary Types: Drama class. The professor is really young and really funny and does an amazing job of keeping us entertained and engaged. I didn't love my science class first semester, mostly because it wasn't what I expected. I'd definitely say that it depends on who you're talking to whether or not you have intellectual conversation. The academics are really easy to fulfill, especially if you have some AP credit coming in or have place high up in a language. And if you do Core, a lot of those requirements get fulfilled.

The hockey games are pretty popular, especially the Beanpot games. It seems like a lot of people here try to come here with a boyfriend or girlfriend from home, or pair off pretty quickly. My closest friend is actually my roommate. And my other closest friend I met in the dining hall over a waffle. People do part here pretty often. Tuesday is the new Thursday and Thursday is the new Friday it seems like. But there really isn't any obligation to go out every night if you don't want to. Fraternities and sororities are an option if you want them, but are by no means a crucial part of social life. The frat parties here are pretty bad (usually overcrowded in a disgusting house on a sketchy street), but there are a thousand other things to do because you're in Boston. I've been to movies, comedy clubs, restaurants, and sporting events, and there are still a ton of things I haven't done yet.

that they're rich, that they're spoiled, that they're not very smart.

Reese

Best thing about BU is its size in the sense that you can really try out anything. I would do a complete overhaul of the classes that are designed to grade more on the format of an answer rather than the content. Certain classes are run where they clearly don't know how to utilize your time, or they don't really test you on material (they'll ask really stupid, trivial questions instead). The problem is they aren't isolated to one department. They're scattered and can even only be part of an otherwise decent class. I was expecting BU to feel too large, but it's actually not because of all the subdivisions within the entire massive community. People were more impressed than I was when I said I go to BU. I feel proud to attend BU, and people definitely respect the international relations and premedicine programs. If I'm on campus, I'm either in my dorm studying and relaxing or in class. Crunch times I go to Mugar Library, which instantly makes me buckle down and study like a demon. Boston is a college town because there are college students everywhere, but when you go into the city,it also doesn't feel like one because despite the kids your age, there are even more people who aren't and who are just going on with daily life. Charles River campus feels a lot more like a campus than a lot of people say, just because the majority of buildings are BU buildings and nobody else has business walking down those sidewalks besides BU students. It's technically open, but the sidewalks still fill with BU students going to class every half hour. I would change the way the administration is run. A lot of times it feels despite the ridiculous tuition that very little of the money comes back to the students (ex. my physiology lab required us to buy latex gloves for dissection days, which feels like giving your little brother a $20 to go get you ice cream and him coming back with 10 Pokemon cards and saying the $20 wasn't enough). That said, despite being bulky and slow and bureaucratic, stuff does get done. Eventually. We recently had a change in guest policy, which made the rules for having even other BU students over somewhat less psychotic compared to the guest policies of pretty much anywhere else. Biggest recent controversy probably was the change in guest policy. It was a big change, and it relaxed a lot of things. The students were more than overjoyed, but there were a couple instances of people being assaulted in dorms. Whether it was actually more frequent this year since the change went into effect, I doubt it. School pride depends on your social group. A lot are completely apathetic, some take pride in what they do through BU, others are fanatics, and these people tend to paint themselves red and go to hockey games. Our guest policy is still unusual. Our "campus" is unusual. The frat parties out in West I guess you could say are unusually crowded and sketchy and "dry up" quickly. Most frequent student complaints are usually to get more money to come back to the students. And because of the guest policy, there is a tangible air of distrust and hostility between a lot of students and the administration.

Someone who wasn't a go-getter or shy would be out of place. Someone who had at least somewhat established who they were and had an open mind would do great. I've met people from every race, religion, orientation, socioeconomic background and my group of friends is definitely a big mix. The only thing we have in common is we work hard but still want to make time every once in a while to just slow down and relax and have fun. You'll see almost semiformal outfits to pajamas. We don't look down on any of it. Unless you haven't showered. All types of students interact. The largest social division is probably between East and West campus. West is almost all CFA and CGS. They party more, but people in the other colleges are a little snobby about not being in their college. We joke about how much we'll earn. We've decided if we're still friends that the failing ones will have to live in cardboard boxes, but that the successful ones will allow them to live in their cardboard boxes in their mansions.

Only some are snobbish, but the vast majority are clique-y. My recommendation for beating that, live in Warren freshman year and talk to as many other freshman as you can when you get here. Once social groups settle, the only way to make new friends is slowly through friends (of friends of friends...) BU girls are still known for partying, but academics have also gotten more serious at BU. The stereotype is also that it's mostly the CFA/CGS girls who bring the party, if you will.

Some professors know my name, others don't. I've interacted a lot with professors in smaller classes, but otherwise I'm not one of the ones who goes out of her way to introduce herself. But the professors have always been approachable, so whoever wants to know them well, can. My favorite class has been organic chemistry. It's not terrifying and impossible to learn, and my professor is ridiculous. His 8am lectures always fill up quickly so I still have to get there 15 minutes early. His lectures are hilarious and fast-paced and he's backed this year by a TA who is very, very capable on her own in helping students more closely in discussion (some TAs don't make discussion worth it. She does). Least favorite are definitely any intro classes. You don't want to be there, the professors don't want to be there, and these are usually the classes that ask the trivial questions. Also, I took some unnecessary intro classes. BU doesn't really outline for you what is required and what's not. You have to be careful and can pretty much just hope you meet a few good upperclassmen who have figured it out and are willing to share. I have friends I haven't seen for a semester because they've been locked up studying, and I have friends who I've never seen study. It depends on how challenging your coursework is and how much you want to rock it. I hate class participation. It's somewhat common in the small classes. I think most people find friends who have similar interests and who can talk about intellectual stuff outside of class. Of course, there are also a lot of idiots. Competitiveness depends on the student and the program. Premed is definitely very competitive. People chase the professor, ask questions in class, and actually go to office hours. But I haven't had to worry about it reaching the level of sabotage or being cutthroat. Just a lot of people running very, very hard. Most unique class I've taken so far would either be Sympathy for the Devil and my Peoples and Cultures of Africa classes. Sympathy for the Devil is a WR150 course, the professor is funny and British, the works aren't so forbidden or evil, but it gets you a look into a lot of important classic literature, and you read Master & Margarita, one of my new favorite books plus other modern stuff. People and Cultures of Africa, the professor is amazing. We've referred to him as Mufasa. He's a passionate, humorous, approachable professor who is very informed (he wrote one of the books in the class, and it was my favorite out of about a dozen we read). Careful: the final assignment is a 30 page paper, which isn't so bad either. I was previously in international relations. I didn't like the intro course, but the upper division ones are definitely all amazing. Biochemistry & molecular biology (BMB) is a very difficult major, but it's put me with a group of students that are at a higher caliber of science-geared students than I've ever worked with. Premedical program here is known for being tough. It's competitive, the classes are very hard, but the premed students are definitely not as smart as the BMB students and can be frustrating to work with. French, I've only taken one class so far, but I loved the professor, and I've only heard good things about the others, so I'm excited to finish my minor. I wouldn't spend time with my professors outside of class, but I have run into them or ended up chatting with them before or after class, and I know a lot of people can relate to them as peers and have fun. Academic requirements are typical of a liberal arts education, luckily they took all my APs. They are manageable. Just the writing requirement a lot of people think is stupid. Depends on the department. My science classes, I feel like I'm just trying to get into med school, but the other ones have felt more like they really just educate me on the topic. You decide what job you want and what courses will apply, they'll make sure the course provides a lot of good information on the subject.

Most popular groups are cultural groups and community service. I'm not really involved in any of the popular ones but the Indian clubs throw a lot of good parties with good dance music. Doors are mostly closed in dorms. Guest speakers can get very popular. I have no idea about athletic events. The dating scene at BU is notorious for having way too many girls and the guys are either taken or gay or ineligible for one reason or another. I've met a lot of good guys here, so just keep an eye open and be willing to talk and flirt and get to know people. I met my closest friends in Warren. Everyone was networking freshman fall semester so we all collided with each other and quickly found that we were a good match. I'm awake 2am on a Tuesday because I'm always awake at 2am on a Tuesday because I don't have class till 3 the next day and I'm watching Scrubs with people. People party a good bit. It's either clubs if you're old enough, small parties with friends, or frat parties. Frats are important for big parties, but I tend to go to MIT ones on BU campus. Last weekend, we had the Back Bay Ball. I got dressed up with a few friends, had a nice dinner, and went dancing. Then my friends and I went the next day to Teavana and found a tea that smelled like smoked bbq ribs so we got some and tried brewing it. Was not good. Also met up with different friends for dinner just to chat, one of them wanted to figure out a way to live in France this summer. Otherwise I relaxed and studied. Saturday night, no alcohol: see a movie, go to a party and.. not drink if that counts, bundle up with some good friends and just be crazy and hang out and take pictures, walk around outside where you will run into people who will be doing something crazy, join them. You could walk around Newbury Street or Boylston. Order a few pounds of chicken from Wings Over Brookline and see who's the man of the group. Off campus: movies, Boston Symphony, farmer's markets, Copley Place, Prudential Center, Cambridgeside Mall, hot chocolate from Burdick's in Cambridge, party, get into a 21+ anyway, people watch

They are clique-y and snobbish. To neighboring colleges, we're where they get the girls from for a good party.

Ryan

I LOVE BU. It's not exactly in the heart of the city, but it's so close, which is nice because we have our own little area to call our's. People say we don't have a campus, but we really do! It's a segment of Commonwealth Avenue, and it's awesome! The school is damn big, which lends itself towards loads of student groups, clubs, organizations, etc... and lots of students from every walk of life imaginable. There is seriously something for everyone, from dance groups, to intramural and club sports, to theater groups, music groups, house parties, bars, volunteer organizations, heritage groups... you name it, we have a club for it. Living here has been a huge eye-opener. Just remember that it's all what you make of it, and the opportunities and possibilities are endless at BU.

It's almost impossible to feel out of place at BU. There are so many people that if you look hard enough, you will find people with whom you are compatible. It's a very, very diverse school. The most common minorities are probably Asian and Indian. There is also a LGBT presence on campus. People are a lot more accepting here than I imagined college to be, too. Like if you walk into the GSU (the student union), you'll see tables of the most random people together. It's the exact opposite of high school stereotypes.

No. There are a lot of wealthy people since BU is rather expensive, but BU is huge and insanely diverse. The largest club on campus is actually the BU India Club.

I was pleasantly surprised with the academics at BU. The professors definitely impressed me with their extensive experience and background in their fields of interest.

A lot of people think all BU students are snobby wealthy kids whose parents paid their way into college

Casey

student groups abound. theres something for everyone.

bu sucks. its too expensive for what it is. the academics are only mediocre, the advising is horrible. the school is more concerned with its reputation than with pushing its students toward academic success. many of the students seem like kids who are smart, but not smart enough to avoid spending a shitload of money on a mediocre school. the facilities are not nearly as good as they should be for the tuition students pay. the quality of professors is a crapshoot. dont go there unless you havea full tuition scholarship or have tons o money and can fit in with the rest of the rich, mediocre student body.

they don't meet the level of rigor required at most of the University of California campuses, except for their pre-med classes which are just ridiculously, unnecessarily difficult in order to weed people out.

frats are big. but the mit frats are much better. being in an urban enviornment is great for going out and doing stuff on the town!

bu kids are stuck up theres lots of dumb jocks, especially hockey players most everyone there has money

The best thing about BU are the academics and the amount of resources available to the students. Although it is difficult to find out about all of the resources available to help students (school, job search, etc.) they are very helpful. The worst thing about BU is that there is not really a sense of community. There are a lot of students and a lot of girls. There are a lot of different people, so it could be difficult to find your "niche". When I tell people I go to BU, generally their response is "Wow, you must be really smart!" There is very little school pride. There is no football team, however BU hockey is very big. The most frequent student complaint is that there is not enough going on and people feel isolated.

There are lot so different religions and races at BU. I'd say most of the people are upper middle class, although there are many people on scholarship. I think people that do not like cities and do not do well with diversity and independence would not like BU. It is not your typical sorority campus college. BU students are from all over the world, there is a large contingency of people from New England. Students are very politically aware.

Some professors know your name, others do not. Depending on how big the class is. Usually professors make an effort to learn your name. My favorite classes have been my english classes, the professors are very smart and experienced. My least favorite classes were the required classes, like math and general science. Students are competitive and the general feeling on campus is that people are always trying to get ahead and get the best grades they can. A lot of money was put into the English department so they have some of the best professors and classes are especially interesting. I think people that graduate from BU have a very strong academic background and will be in good shape to get a job. There are resources at BU to help people get internships and jobs, help with resume building, etc.

Some of the most popular clubs are the sports teams, such as skiing, sailing, soccer, etc. Community Service Club also has a lot of members. I am part of the Community Service Club and find that they have many opportunities for students to get involved, and lots of different options. There are many things for studnets to do off campus- we live in boston!-and it's just a matter of whether people take advantage of these things. 2 am on a tuesday, I am asleep! Last weekend I spend time hanging out with friends from out of town, did homework, and watched movies. If people aren't in to drinking, they can find things to do in Boston or at the Student Union. Athletic events are unpopular, aside from hockey.

Snobby, preppy, gay, international, no campus,

Boston University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.