Boston University Top Questions

Describe the dorms.

The dorms vary greatly. There are your typical freshman dorms that include some sophomores. Then there are the amazing new dorms that have been highlighted as luxury student living in newspapers like the New York Times and Chicago Times. There are apartment style, suite style, singles, doubles, triples, and quads. Some dorms have been hotels that were transformed into dorms while others are older or recently built. There are also nice brownstones that offer specialty housing. Whatever you are looking for in dorms you can find.

Leanne

We have so many different housing options! Housing is guaranteed all four years and our housing ranges from typical dorm style to luxury style apartments. Freshmen typically choose to live in a typical dormitory and that makes it easier to meet your neighbors and make friends. As you get older, you may choose to live in the suite style rooms or on-campus apartments. I've loved my experiences with housing.

On-campus housing at BU is a little hit or miss, and only gets better as you gain higher class standing. West and Warren are the most popular freshmen dorms. The rooms in both are pretty much the same size (small, but you get theat Freshmen Dorm Experience). I lived in West my freshman year which I loved at the time. West campus is nice little escape from campus. I currently live in Shelton hall, which is at the complete opposite side of campus - right near Kenmore square. Shelton is popular for mostly sophomores, but a good number of freshmen also live in Shelton. It's on Bay State, which is wonderful to walk down each morning. It's also right across the street from a brand new student center opening up this coming fall. Gorgeous (some newly renovated) brownstones line Bay State. South campus consists of predominantly upper classmen in brownstones and apartments. The Student Village, consisting of junior and senior only apartments and [sophomore allowed] suites, and are supposedly some of the nicest apartments in the city of Boston itself. These high-risers look over the skyline and are brand new.

On-campus housing at BU is a little hit or miss. West and Warren are the most popular freshmen dorms. The rooms in both are pretty much the same size (small, but you get theat Freshmen Dorm Experience). I lived in West my freshman year which I loved at the time. West campus is nice little escape from campus. I currently live in Shelton hall, which is at the complete opposite side of campus - right near Kenmore square. Shelton is popular for mostly sophomores, but a good number of freshmen also live in Shelton. It's on Bay State, which is wonderful to walk down each morning. It's also right across the street from a brand new student center opening up this coming fall.

As any other college dorms are dorms, however there are options depending on your preferences. If you want to be in a large dormitory there are plenty and that just means you will be in an older building full of dorms will a dining hall either in the lobby or in the building right next to you. This also means you may live in a single, double, triple, and sometimes a quad. I have experience living in a triple, which I lived in my freshman year. It is pretty spacious, in the middle of the room that is, and honestly the roommate(s) you have is what makes or breaks the experience. I got lucky and one of my room mates become one of my closest friends, but the other not so much. So its pretty much luck of the draw, however if you really don't get along with your room mate you can request a transfer. Oh, what I thought was important was BU Facilities does a wonderful job keeping the bathrooms clean, cleaning them every morning.

a look at Shelton Hall - a dorm with "suite style" rooms, a dining hall, and mostly sophomores and juniors.

a look at Myles Standish Hall -- a BU Dorm