Boston University

« See more reviews of Boston University

BU is a selective university that focuses on academics. There are plenty of student activites and sports at all levels, but nobody encourages you to join. You have to take initiative to get the best of this school, because its too big to be keeping track and encouraging everybody. The size does help in terms of variety of courses and things to do. Its not terribly unified in terms of student life (no football) but you can choose to involve yourself as much or as little as you want because its size provides that option.

Boston University is best known for its academics on an international level. Going abroad, people are impressed when you tell them that you study at Boston University. Locally, BU is known for its research and committment to bettering the local community. Many students do community service or tutor high school students on the side. BU is conveniently located in the heart of Boston, minutes away from Fenway Park and, and easily accessible by the T. Students not only have the university, but the whole city as a campus.

Although there are some really great teachers at BU, many faculty members are forced to teach in order to get research funding. As a result, many of them are not good teachers and do not care about their students success. The classes and campus are very large, so you do not really feel like you are going to college. In order to be happy at BU, you really have to be independent and ready to make a group of friends. You cant be shy. You also have to be willing to not see anyone you know all day.

Our school is known for our Hockey team. The Terriers are a huge part of our campus, and game days are crazy. It is also known for it's grade deflation. It's much harder to get an A at BU than at most other schools, but when you do get one it's very rewarding. Also, BU is known for its CORE curriculum. Even inn schools with a specified major you must complete certain basic and unrelated academic requirements, though they vary from school to school.

This school is known for its broad variety of disciplines as well as its urban campus. It is a great place to get a liberal arts degree, but provides the opportunity for more technical degrees as well. The work load is somewhat intense and can become stressfull but most people follow the adage, "Work hard, play hard." You will fall in love with the hockey team and the city. The professors are all at least bearable, and dorm life is steadily improving.

BU's undergraduate program is notoriously scrappy for getting students jobs, especially in certain fields (media, management, medicine, performance arts). The student experience is near parity as far as hard-working/wild-partying with the Ivy Leagues across the river, which makes it sort of a bargain considering the friendly admission rates and better-than-average level of needs-based aid.

In my mind, the school is best known for excellence in education and a wide variety of resources being available to students. That is why I have made the choice to pursue my graduate degree here. I have friends in other programs, or who went here for Undergraduate degrees, and the opportunities they've been given and the excellent educations they've obtained are very impressive.

I love our annual lobster night where every student on campus will get a lobster if they eat in our dining halls. I also love our annual Beanpot tournament. Happening at our TD Banknorth Garden (where the Bruins and Celtics play), the hockey teams form Harvard, BC, Northeastern and BU play in a tournament against one another. It's a lot of fun and the arena is packed!

Within the school i think BU is known for its massive problem of grade deflation. I think that the college of general studies is a joke that leaves students to be behind in their major and is just a way for BU to recieve more money. The university is greatly known for their athletics and the school spirit that most students share. The campus is full of diversity.

BU Hockey is well known and our 2 mile strip of practically grassless campus (which now has more grass and is a lot nicer due to the beautification project that was just completed), BU is also well known for its rigorous academic workload and acceptance rates into med schools and business schools, there is a fairly large gay population as well