Boston University Top Questions

What are your classes like?

Classes in most courses of study start out very general and get more and more specific and you reach higher levels. For engineering students, the freshmen curriculum is virtually the same for all majors, consisting of general chemistry and physics, calculus, writing and introductory engineering classes. Physics, chem and calc are typically taught in large lecture halls, but also have much smaller weekly discussion components. Writing seminars are much smaller and are offered in a huge variety of topics. The introductory engineering courses, specifically EK131/132, are unique to BU's College of Engineering and expose freshmen to specific and advanced disciplines of engineering (such as acoustics, hacking, and brain mapping, to name just three of about 20), and place freshmen in labs they otherwise wouldn't work in until being an upperclassman. Sophomore year is when ENG students start to break off in their respective disciplines. The work definitely gets harder as the years go on, but it also gets more interesting and more... fun. I just completed Electric Circuit Theory (EK307) and it absolutely kicked my ass, but I enjoyed the class a lot, especially the labs.

you will always find professors who try to make it interesting with stories or jokes. There are some classes that are dry and there are some professors who are dry. It all comes down to choosing classes and professors wisely.

Well right now I am taking Second Semester Spanish, Principles of Criminal Justice, Psychology of Personality, and Drugs and Behavior. Second Semester Spanish = It can be a pain in my ass sometimes, but my professor knows that I am working hard to do well and is very helpful whenever something is a bit confusing to me. Principles of Criminal Justice = This class is amazing, I am doing very well and it is interesting. Although this class is once a week from 6-9 at night I enjoy every bit of it. We were able to tour a prison, we had guest speakers, and the exams are feasible. Psychology of Personality = I enjoy this class, mainly because I have a great professor. She tries her best to make all the material clear and understandable. She brings us candy every now and then and that gesture just shows that she cares for her students :). Drugs and Behavior = The class is interesting, but soooo much to memorize for exams. The exams are heavily curved because you can say not everyone has an amazing memory so the grades could be better, but because of that I am doing pretty well in the class so I will refrain from complaining.

Leanne

Class are definitely challenging, but manageable, especially if you utilize your professor's office hours. Every class at BU is taught be a professor, so you never have to worry that TA's will be teaching your classes. Though some of your freshmen lectures may be large, the average class size is 28, with 80{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of our classes being thirty students or less.