Boston University

« See more reviews of Boston University

Although a respectable institution, Boston University lacks the proper learning atmosphere. Diversity has a notably profound presence on campus; however, diversity of intellect is the one less valuable trait of Boston University?s student body. It is apparent that there are students that reduce the intellectual stimuli in the classroom. Thus, for many students, certain classes fail to inspire or spark an element of academic fervor. In addition, many of the University?s colleges are old-fashioned, containing lockers, old desks and constricting classrooms. Due to the high school reminiscent atmosphere, this moreover, hinders an optimal learning experience.

What I would consider the worst thing at Boston University is the size of the campus. Coming from a small, middle-of-the-suburbs high school, coming to BU was definitely a drastic change. I would consider this the worst part about BU because at times, you can feel lonely. It is really interesting, because it is not loneliness, as in no one is in your near proximity. Rather, feeling lonely despite that there are thousands of people around you, which is ultimately much worse. The constant cold weather with sunlight diminishing at around 3 PM only proliferate this.

The lack of spirit or community is the one thing lacking from Boston University. There is no definitve campus, just a busy city street. The lack of spirit for school sports is disappointing. The athletes do very well, but games are not well attended. Although there is much support for the hockey team, the sport only rallies a small portion of the population. Basketball and football are two sports a wide variety of people can enjoy. The lack of a football team/ the quality of the basketball program bring down school spirit.

The divisional credits...BU expects you to fit in 8 divisional classes that are supposed to give you a well-rounded education, but after experimenting with Russian and the School of Theatre during freshman year before deciding on philosophy and art history, all I feel is pressed for time, not well-rounded. Plus, when it comes to the lab credit and math class I have to take, I just want to get an easy class and get it over with. And is that fair to the professors who have to teach these classes that no one wants to take?

The worst thing about BU is its financial aid. Freshman year was tough but I was expecting to be granted mroe aid as my college career continued however, BU has given me less and less money. Now entering my third year of school, there is no way I'd tranfer even though financially I literally cannot afford my education. Instead of giving me less and less financial aid, I would've prefered if my university would reward me with more and more financial aid as I stay academically focused instead!

Every time I turn around small expenses are popping up. Boston University is the epitome of an urban school, right down to the costly price of city living. This includes pricey cereal and subway tickets that are routine necessities I would have a hard time giving up. Just when I think I have covered all monetary items I discovered that two more have suddenly appeared. With tuition where it currently is, small everyday costs really tighten my wallet, not to mention stress me out.

The worst thing about BU is that it is extrememly expensive, $50,000/year. On top of that we don't even have a Medical Amnesty/Good Samaritan policy to protect students who have a medical emergency involving drugs and alcohol. Many students get hurt or die because they are too afraid of losing their housing/scholarship, etc. to call for help for themselves or a friend. The administration only pretends to listen to students concerns. They are run more like a business than a school.

Honestly, the worst part about Boston University is the amount of extra curricular activities available to students. It is not a bad thing to have these activities available; however, they all appear interesting and fun, that one might try to take on too many activities at once. Add that to the amount of course work a student has and he or she might become very overwhelmed. Therefore, students should exercise a bit of caution when join extra curricular activities.

Being that this is a metropolitan school, there is a lot of social competition amongst students. Sometimes it is a bit threatening when you are surrounded with people who treat you as their inferior just by the way you act or dress-it is often very intimidating. There just seems to be major class differences and people really take into account each others financial status'. Even in times of economical crises, students still treat others based on their status.

The worst thing about BU is probably the size. The huge university makes it difficult not only to meet new people, but also to gain advice from administrators, form a bond with classmates, and to know what is going on around campus. In addition to the population size, the campus is essentially a straight line for about two miles, which can make it difficult to get from one class to the next if they are on different parts of campus.