Boston University

« See more reviews of Boston University

Best thing about BU is its size in the sense that you can really try out anything. I would do a complete overhaul of the classes that are designed to grade more on the format of an answer rather than the content. Certain classes are run where they clearly don't know how to utilize your time, or they don't really test you on material (they'll ask really stupid, trivial questions instead). The problem is they aren't isolated to one department. They're scattered and can even only be part of an otherwise decent class. I was expecting BU to feel too large, but it's actually not because of all the subdivisions within the entire massive community. People were more impressed than I was when I said I go to BU. I feel proud to attend BU, and people definitely respect the international relations and premedicine programs. If I'm on campus, I'm either in my dorm studying and relaxing or in class. Crunch times I go to Mugar Library, which instantly makes me buckle down and study like a demon. Boston is a college town because there are college students everywhere, but when you go into the city,it also doesn't feel like one because despite the kids your age, there are even more people who aren't and who are just going on with daily life. Charles River campus feels a lot more like a campus than a lot of people say, just because the majority of buildings are BU buildings and nobody else has business walking down those sidewalks besides BU students. It's technically open, but the sidewalks still fill with BU students going to class every half hour. I would change the way the administration is run. A lot of times it feels despite the ridiculous tuition that very little of the money comes back to the students (ex. my physiology lab required us to buy latex gloves for dissection days, which feels like giving your little brother a $20 to go get you ice cream and him coming back with 10 Pokemon cards and saying the $20 wasn't enough). That said, despite being bulky and slow and bureaucratic, stuff does get done. Eventually. We recently had a change in guest policy, which made the rules for having even other BU students over somewhat less psychotic compared to the guest policies of pretty much anywhere else. Biggest recent controversy probably was the change in guest policy. It was a big change, and it relaxed a lot of things. The students were more than overjoyed, but there were a couple instances of people being assaulted in dorms. Whether it was actually more frequent this year since the change went into effect, I doubt it. School pride depends on your social group. A lot are completely apathetic, some take pride in what they do through BU, others are fanatics, and these people tend to paint themselves red and go to hockey games. Our guest policy is still unusual. Our "campus" is unusual. The frat parties out in West I guess you could say are unusually crowded and sketchy and "dry up" quickly. Most frequent student complaints are usually to get more money to come back to the students. And because of the guest policy, there is a tangible air of distrust and hostility between a lot of students and the administration.

BU is a college whose "campus" is spread along Commonwealth Avenue in Boston. For me, it was the perfect mix of a college experience, and a city-integrated university. Having come from a smaller town, Boston was a great place to attend school. As a city, Boston is a comfortably sized, moderately populated, entertaining city that was fun and exciting to explore during my four years there. With the newly built Agganis Arena, many huge music acts as well as sports team land on the BU campus during their tours through the country, making it a great place spend a Friday night for BU students and Bostonians alike. The on- campus housing is impressively beautiful, particularly if one stays on campus until their junior or senior years, when one becomes eligible to live in the new high-rise of 10 Buick Street. I lived in 10 Buick for a year and still have yet to find another apartment that rivals it in terms of comfort and it's unmatched view of Boston along the Charles river. The largest complaint overall is the price of tuition. At $40,000 and rising, it can be an added burden that sometimes can raise question marks when places such as the Fine Arts Building or the College of General Studies suffer from long-overdue ned of renovation. However, that voice is being heard to some extent - on a recent trip back to BU, I saw changes being made not only within those colleges, but across campus. It is definitely a college for people wanting a more city-integrated experience within a large university.

Before having visited BU, I was completely turned off by the thought of such a large university and an open campus. Being from New York, I had something very NYU-esque in mind - buildings scattered all over the place and not very unified. This is not the case at all with BU. While it is an open campus, it is very unified. Almost all of the buildings you'll find from about 500 to 1000 Commonwealth Avenue are BU owned. While the size may be daunting, keep in mind that BU is a UNIVERSITY, meaning it is broken up into 18 different schools and colleges. I'm enrolled in the College of Engineering (ENG), which is sort of my home base at BU. There are about 1300 undergrads enrolled in ENG (less than ten percent of the undergrad student class), so we get all the benefits of a small college, while still being able to take advantage of a huge university. I find myself never being bored at BU. There is always something going on, and if I DO want to get away from campus, there's always the heart of the city of Boston a hop, skip and jump away. Boston is the ultimate college town. It's a college CITY. It feels almost like an extension of campus. It's not so big that it's overwhelming, and there's always a bunch of things going on. There are also quite a few other colleges in the Boston area, and you'll find yourself meeting and becoming friends with students from other schools. (Don't get me wrong, though - the city is still an escape from campus!)

The best thing about BU is broomball, hands down. I would change the school by admitting fewer snobby kids and by increasing the quality of the academics. When I tell people I go to BU they tend to chuckle, act impressed, or both. I spend most of my time on campus in or near Kenmore square or in my dormitory. Boston is bascially the best college town ever and is probably one of the only reasons to attend BU. It doesn't feel like a huge party town but you're so isolated from people who are younger or older than you that makes it feel very safe and comfortable. I haven't had a lot of contact with BU's administration but I certainly hate their administrative offices. Good luck getting transferred to the right place... The last huge controversy on campus was when the city of Boston thought a light bright was a bomb and spent a ridiculous amount of money calling in the bomb squad to de-activate it. There isn't that much school pride because BU is where you go if you didn't get into your preferred ivy league. For most students BU is a second choice. BU is not that unusual - I've heard the BU, NYU, and Georgetown are all remarkably similar schools in very different cities. The one experience I will always remember is the BU bum. I loved that guy. He had the best flame-adorned Converse ever. The most frequent student complaints are that BU isn't the ivy league they wanted to get into and that BU is so large the social scene can be awkward.

One thing I will never forget about BU happened last year during finals time. During finals, the Mugar Library is open 24/7, and many students take advantage of this time to get some actual studying done. For me, I can't study at home, especially now that I live off campus and I'm 21--far too many distractions. I was here until the early hours of the morning several times, and I started to notice a certain girl who was always in the same spot on the second floor. She always looked disheveled and nervous, flipping through notes frantically, making flashcards, highlighting textbooks, etc. It was on about my third night in the library during finals period that I noticed the smell. There was a cloud of odor around this poor girl that was like gym socks and wet hamster. As I left at around 2 that morning, I saw some purple fabric poking out from underneath the table where the smelly girl had formerly been sitting--she brought a sleeping bag, and spent literally 24 hours a day during study periods in the library! It wasn't like she had chosen a particularly inconspicuous spot, either; she was right in the middle of the main hallway! I understand trying to get some studying done, but is it really necessary to camp out in the library? BU is really not THAT academically challenging. At least she could've bathed...

The best thing about BU is definitely the people. I'd probably change the cost of school - $45K gets to be a bit much for the pockets. BU felt small for me, but I'm in a serious minority on that. Adding more students would cause chaos in Boston, not just for housing, but for the lines at the student union. When I say I went to BU, people gasp in excitement, and say, "Oh wow, that's so cool!" That is, until I say, "Yea, it was alright." I spent most of my time on campus at the GSU, and not in class. I guess Boston IS a 'college town' because I didn't see anybody over the age of 25 anywhere... I think BU's administration wastes money like it's their job - because it IS their job. Look no further than the Daniel Goldin debacle. I also think that they're behind the times. The biggest recent controversy (when I was there) was the Daniel Goldin thing, I think. That was after John Silber dismissed gays as a subspecies. A lot of school pride? Not really - because there's nothing to really rally behind. So, there's no collective school pride amongst students, but there is a personal feeling of "Wow, I go to BU." It's unusual that - for a school so diverse - there are so few Black students.

I absolutely love Boston University and I will admit that I did not always feel that way. I went to a very small high school with about 250 students total so attending BU was a drastic change, to this day I can walk down Commonwealth Ave and see people I have never seen before. So at first this was scary to me, but you begin to make friends and you don't feel like a lost fish in a sea of people. Another thing that made me comfortable at a big school is that the professors are always willing to help you if you need it and that was emphasized at my high school so to have that at such a large school is amazing. When I tell people I attend Boston University everyone has heard of it and knows some fact about it, which is always a great conversation starter. One thing I would change is making the buildings look better, which they are actually in the process of doing throughout campus. Oh another thing I enjoy about BU is the amount of activities you can join, and if they don't already have it you can bring it to campus. BU is very open and diverse.

The best thing about BU is the campus. Of course, its big and its located right in Boston but its a great college town! My school is not so big at least not for me but just the right size. When I do tell people back home that I go to BU, they are often impressed and frankly I don't disagree. Boston University is a great university with divers majors and so many other opportunities. I love the BU administration here. I feel since I more involved in my school I know more administrators all of which have such a passion towards the students here. If you're walking down the street, they'll greet you and even though they might not know your name, those two seconds they take out of their day to say "hello" makes you feel good. Concerning school pride, I don't think we have a lot of it. We do brag about our hockey team but not that many or even the majority of BU students attend the games.

Boston University is a wonderful university. Its students are academically driven and use the city of Boston as an excellent resource for internship, research, and job opportunities; at the same time, the univeristy fosters a fun and creative atmosphere. We're attending Red Sox games with our discount student tickets, exploring Faneuil Hall's marketplace, seeing Seth Meyers perform in our student union, and more. One of my favorite aspects of BU is its campus: Commonwealth Avenue is lined with Boston University colleges, laboratories, and dormitories, and I know so many people as I walk around the street. We've got a campus feel while being pracitically in the heart of Boston. If I could change one thing, it would perhaps be the weather. Sometimes it can get snowy and cold, but this means plenty of snowball fights! Overall, I have immensely enjoyed my time at Boston Univeristy.

I like that when I say I go to BU, people know exactly where I go to school. BU has a great reputation throughout the country, but moreso throughout the world. Almost 15% of our student population is international, so our name really does carry throughout the world. I think the school is a perfect size. With 16,000 undergraduates, you have the ability to make a name for yourself. Through getting involved with clubs and groups on campus, the community becomes so much smaller and more intimate. I love that I can walk down Commonwealth Avenue (the main street that runs down our campus) and see tons of college students, yet see five or six familiar faces on the way. Additionally, Boston is THE college town. We have sixty schools within a ten mile radius and college students make up 20% of Boston's population as a whole. The city definitely caters to our demographic.