Boston University

« See more reviews of Boston University

Excellent faculty. Boston is an incredible city for students. Dean Elmore is a great Dean of students, President Brown is a figure head (with a mansion). Lots of red tape, EVERYTHING costs money. BU is more concerned with money (and hockey) than students. Best housing is the brownstones (specialty residences or otherwise). Recent controversies include girls being assaulted at night and kids signing in people they didn't know into large residences resulting in assault.

Boston is a great city. although campus is not contained, everything is enough in the same area that you get a campusy feel without being too trapped. It is however very large and the setup can mean a logn journey to class. The biggest problem is what we call the BU bounce- it can be hard to get to the right office to solve a problem, and can be very frustrating

The best thing about BU is that it is in Boston. The school is too big, even though it has a good reputation. I spend most of my time in the library, or in my room. There is absolutely no college town, or sense of community at all.

The greatest four years of my life. I struggled with many challenges, and met scores of people. The faculty and professional staff were nonpareil. I wish more people realized that.

Not a college town, its a city. One of the Best Things has been Stage Troupe, amazingly large group, amazing people.

i like the urban setting.

The best thing about BU is that almost every single good thing you will read about in the recruiting materials is true The one thing I would change is the level of outrageous unresponsiveness the administration often displays. The BU beurocracy is probably the one major reason why some people decide to transfer BU is probably one of the largest schools I have seen, but I find that really exciting. Having lived in big cities my whole life I probably would not want to be spending long winter months in a small, quiet village-like place. Besides, there are some dorms/part of campus that feel very cosy even in spite of BU's enourmous size. I think most people react very positively when I tell them I go to BU. In my experience, BU has a very good academic reputation, and my parents rarely miss an opportunity to mention that I go to Boston University. I think all students spend most of their time in the dorms, which is quite natural considering that's where you and your friends live. This is also a reason why choosing a good dorm is really crucial. Boston is definitely a college town, no doubt about it. One thing I will miss about it when I graduate is getting on the T filled 70% by people under 25. On the flip side of that, however, the fact that BU's campus is almost a "college town" in itself may mean that sometimes you have to make the effort to get out and explore other parts of the city. BU's administration is considered by many to be the most unpleasant aspect of the whole BU experience. Some shortcomings of the administration are due to the large size of the school, and one can only sympathize with them on that. But there is also a lot of neglect and what I think is a lack of true, genuine devotion to the BU community that is clear in many administrative policies. Hopefully, president Brown will be willing and able to change some of that, but so far we are still waiting. The biggest recent controversy on campus was probably the draconian guest policy, which was successfully modified to a much more sympathetic one last year. School pride at BU is somewhat hampered by the fact that hockey is the only really "big" sport on campus. I think there is a general consensus that more emphasis on developing good sports teams would elevate the school pride significantly. It is hard to pin point something that is unusual about BU for someone who is so much a part of this community - a true outsider would only be able to do that. BU is 'usual' to me, so I guess everything about it is. The only thing that is kind of strange to me is the art gallery at 800 Commonwealth that always has new art displays, but I do not know anyone who has ever seen any people within the actual gallery.

The BEST thing about this university is the location. I am SO happy I went to a school that is in a city. I used to hate cities with passion, but there is ALWAYS something going on, and it's a great place to really expand your horizons. Public transportation makes it easy to get around. Plus, there's so much to DO at the university! With such a huge population you can find someone else who likes things that you do, anywhere from traditional activities like the arts, sports and cultural clubs to more obscure passions like fencing, or knitting club. If you like something and can find 10 other people who like to too, then you can make a club for yourself! Since being here I have taken a rock climbing class at the gym as well as ballroom dance and belly dance, and I've attended all sorts of events. The school is HUGE! I love the diversity - there is so many more opportunities to meet so many different types of people. I go to school in the College of Fine Arts, so I know many artsy people. But I take classes in the College of Arts and Sciences so I meet people form there too, and then I do different extra-curricular activities and make many more friends.People are intimidated by the size - but I think it works to everyone's advantage. You have many more opportunities to find yourself and a good group of friends. Even if you can't find a single person that you like out of the over 16,000 undergrads or so, you are living in Boston with over 100 more colleges in the area. The city is FULL of students! The one MAIN complaint form EVERYONE - it allll comes down to money. This school is ridiculously expensive, and costing more each year with the economy. I had scholarships to other school that almost paid for all my tuition, but I chose to come here and put myself and my family in tons of debt since we were hit hard by the recession. I chose to come here for the superior classes and faculty for my specific major, and I don't regret it. It's easy to look back with regret when looking at bank statements or after a rough day, but the benefits outweigh it all.

I'd say the best thing about being at BU is really just being in Boston and being surrounded by people who are your age and with your same lifestyle all the time. Mostly I'd just change some aspects of dorm life like the fact that we have to sign in guests and that you can't go into a building other than your own after 2am. I understand it's for safety, but it's really inconvenient. And with all the money coming into the school, it's amazing how little of it is coming into the living conditions and is pouring straight into new facilities. There is one really good dining hall on campus which has pretty good options, and there is a nice student central where a lot of people go to meet and spend time between classes. One thing I really like is being able to walk around campus and see a new face every day. There are something like 40,000 students at this school, and yet somehow, surrounded by all these complete strangers, I feel like I know everyone. The school really does shrink as soon as you settle in and meet people and get into the swing of things. I spend most of my time in my dorm in West Campus, which is like its own little community. I'm sure it's not the most proud school, but I really love seeing people really happy to be here and showing pride at sporting events and functions. Thus far, the things I'll remember most are the goofy things I've done with friends.

I love being in the city. I would change the mascot, and perhaps the 'brothel rule', as I see that as unfair. Plus, I know that from where I come from (southern states) it's a blast to have fraternity and sorority houses co-mingling. People always seem to find BU to be quite prestigious when I tell them I go there, but at the same time, they find it strange that I didn't get into the University of Florida. This is the epitome of a college town, with far more of the city geared toward the college crowd than any other major city I can think of. BU's administration seems to be solid, and I certainly am no expert by any means, but the cost to benefit ratio seems astronomical. There is a $90 fee hidden in the meal plan to account for stolen food items? Who can steal $90 worth of food? There is a decent amount of school pride, but with no football program to speak of, and teams that receive a lot of money but don't put out many wins, it's hard to get a campus motivated. In a small town with a big campus, such as George Mason, BC, FSU, UF, etc. it's easy to get the campus to go to games, because there isn't much else. But Boston has so much to offer that there sports games aren't always the top priority of the student body.