Boston University

« See more reviews of Boston University

The best thing about BU is location. In a city but on a campus. People like to claim that BU doesn't really have a campus but those are the people who don't go to BU. We know how it feels and we love it. BU is way too large. Way too large to know everyone and to attend every event and to figure it all out quickly with little difficulty. But it's not too large to find a great group of friends inside and outside of your major. Nor is it too large to meet a massive variety of diverse groups of people from a load of backgrounds. BU as a whole is an amazingly cultured school. People generally confused BU with BC. Make no mistake, we are not BC and we don't want to be. Really, it all depends on your major and what your studying or where you want to go in life. We don't really care about other school, there's enough going on at BU to care about. There's tons of school pride where hockey is concerned. People here go all out

I LOVE BU. It's not exactly in the heart of the city, but it's so close, which is nice because we have our own little area to call our's. People say we don't have a campus, but we really do! It's a segment of Commonwealth Avenue, and it's awesome! The school is damn big, which lends itself towards loads of student groups, clubs, organizations, etc... and lots of students from every walk of life imaginable. There is seriously something for everyone, from dance groups, to intramural and club sports, to theater groups, music groups, house parties, bars, volunteer organizations, heritage groups... you name it, we have a club for it. Living here has been a huge eye-opener. Just remember that it's all what you make of it, and the opportunities and possibilities are endless at BU.

I really like the urban feel of this school's location. Everything is at your convenience. There are late night school bus transportation and public transportation that runs through the city. I think the size of the school is just right, not too large or too small. Additionally, whenever I tell most people I attend this school; they are very proud and congratulate me. However, I do not think this school is diverse enough. The administration's aim to diversify the school is by means of admitting international students from many Asian countries. However, domestic diversity is minute. Most students complain about the science departments, especially the Chemistry department at this school. In addition, some students are upset about grade deflations conducted by some professors.

The best thing about BU are the academics and the amount of resources available to the students. Although it is difficult to find out about all of the resources available to help students (school, job search, etc.) they are very helpful. The worst thing about BU is that there is not really a sense of community. There are a lot of students and a lot of girls. There are a lot of different people, so it could be difficult to find your "niche". When I tell people I go to BU, generally their response is "Wow, you must be really smart!" There is very little school pride. There is no football team, however BU hockey is very big. The most frequent student complaint is that there is not enough going on and people feel isolated.

Boston is (I'm not the first to say this) the perfect college town! That having been said, BU might be a bit too big--both in the size of the campus and the number of students that go here. The campus has 3 T stops (BU East, Central, and West), but the actually campus spreads out even farther. As an English major, as for most majors, almost all of my classes are in one building, so going from class to class is not really an issue. What it does mean, however, is that students in different programs are pretty much entirely cut off from each other. I'm in an a cappella group, so I have rehearsals in the College of Fine Arts building on occasion. If I didn't, though, I would never see much of West Campus at all.

Best thing about BU is the diversity of the student body, but the worst part is how segregated it is. It is legitmately difficult to spend time meeting people when academics are supposed to be top priority. Also, getting anything done at BU requires murking through so much red tape that it often isn't worth doing. I spend most of my time on campus at Espresso Royale or at my house, the Co-op on Bay State Road, which was the best way I found a diverse and caring community within BU's campus.

Best thing about BU? You're in boston. It's a lot of ladies! When you tell people you go to BU they're indifferent usually. Depends on which program you're in. Great acting school, great COM school, some schools like CGS really aren't fun though. A lot of parties, which is awesome because there are so many women everywhere. No sense of community really because it's such a city school.

Just a 1 minute walk or t ride from being in boston. Perfect size. Boston in a college city. Great food. people complain about classes being hard or that they get tired of the food but what college doesn't have this.

I love how big the campus of Boston University is, but at the same time it feels small which is good. I feel safe at Boston University, even though it is in a large city.

Obviously, I LOVE BU. I've met a few people who have their bones to pick with it, but I always wonder how they can find any faults with it, because I couldn't imagine going to another school. There's not one best thing about BU. It's all great. It's got plenty of people, but somehow, out of the 16,000 students who go here, I manage to see people I know walking down the street every day. It's in Boston, but not in the city so much. It's right on the river, so you feel like you're where everything's happening, but it's much more of a calm environment as it also borders the residential towns of Allston and Brookline. There's Fenway Park on one end of our campus, and so much all throughout. And unlike some Boston campuses, our location allows us that united-campus feel. It's not broken up by the city. I love all of our local restaurants and pubs along campus. We've got a great shuttle bus to get us around our campus- for free!! Probably my absolute favorite part is that there are so many international students. It's entirely normal to be walking to class, or on the bus, or in the dining hall, and hear students speaking in a foreign language. I love getting to meet people from different cultures and learning about their livestyles. For instance, just from people on my floor freshman year, I became friends with people from India, Saudi Arabia, Peru, the Dominican Republic, and Venezuela. It's such a great experience. Dorm life is great fun; BU also makes an awesome effort at the beginning of the year to get freshman involved and having fun and feeling comfortable with exciting events. Our West campus is great because it's right on Nickerson Field, with the Fit Rec (an incredible gym), and Agganis Arena, where us Terriers cheer on our legendary men's hockey team. There's plenty of BU spirit to go around, that's for sure! When I tell people I go to BU, they always respond with "Oh, that's a good school!" - They have no idea just how true that is!