Boston University

« See more reviews of Boston University

There aren't many people who couldn't easily adapt to life at BU. There are simply too many academic and extracurricular programs. I suppose people who are opposed to change, or who would be uncomfortable attending such a dynamic school, wouldn't flourish here. Cases can be made for excessive partying, but the truth is, it does not permeate the entire college at all. If you don't go looking for parties/drinking/drugs, then you are unlikely to find any. The school is large enough where almost anyone can come out of their shell.

Anyone that isn't accepting of other ethnicities, social backgrounds or religions should be prepared for the greatest culture shock of their life. Boston University is not only known for being an intensely diverse college, but does not tolerate any forms of discrimination. BU also has a huge student population, with other 16,000 students in undergrad alone. I've personally known several people who found it hard to transition to a city environment and have ultimately decided that a smaller school would be a better fit for them.

Since Boston University is such a big school in such a diverse city, I wouldn't say that there is any type of person that shouldn't attend this school. There is so much diversity that I am positive that anyone could find a way to fit in. However, if you're looking for a small cliquey type of school like high school was, then you've come to the wrong place, nobody is going to make you the center of the university spotlight! The most welcome kids are wealthy and usually preppy, so be prepared for that as well!

If you are not willing to put in the time and effort, BU isn't the best school for you. You cannot expect to party every night and do well, BU is a academically challenging school. Also, if you don't enjoy city life, and want a close, spirited campus, but is not a good option. BU campus is large and spread out, which lacks a common area for masses to socialize. If you like rural/suburban areas, BU is not for you. You live close to downtown, constantly hearing sirens, cars, and public transportation.

BU students are not disinterested. The kinds of students that attend BU should not just do work and not gain any knowledge from it. They should be excited about going to class and learning from fantastic professors. A BU student is not afraid to be different and show their true colors. Hardworking and innovative, students at BU should not aim settle for what they feel like they can achieve. Those who are not willing to work hard and strive to be the best they can be are not an ideal BU student.

Someone who is conservative or narrow-minded definitely should NOT consider Boston University. Additionally, someone who is looking for a rural campus with a distinct "core" should skip over BU; since we are in a city Boston University can sometimes seem integrated right with the rest of Boston. And while we have a good humanities program, those who are solely considering an English or History major might find better placement at a liberal art college built on perfecting that type of program.

Boston University is a very big school, and as someone from a small community, I knew it would be a big change. I think BU is a school for people who want to attend a large university and experience life within a city. The kind of person who should not attend BU is someone who is looking for a small school, or a large green campus. That said, although you will see many faces per day, it is very easy to make friends, either in class, around campus, and especially within your dorm.

Someone who is not willing to get the work done on time, or do it well. One really must care about their work and take advantage of their professors being leading experts in their fields. BU is not a place to come and just "do" the social scene. Academics are the most important thing, so if someone is not willing to do that, it isn't worth going there. Furthermore, it is a rigorous climate in which to live, work, and play. Someone attending BU has to be able to keep up.

People who don't like city life and/or don't like sports should not attend Boston University. The school is better suited for outgoing people who love to participate in all the city has to offer (i.e RedSox at Fenway Park, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins...ice skating in the commons, nightlife in the alley, etc.) If you do not crave the bubbling life of a city in a more intimate small town environment (when compared to New York) then it's best not to attend.

In my opinion, everyone should consider coming to Boston University but not everyone should come here. Boston University is a very rigorous school. Someone who is not willing to spend hours on homework each day should not come here. Also, if they are someone who studies for their exams the day before, they definitely should not come. Any exam here you need to study days before in order to do well.