Boston University Top Questions

KRISTINA

It’s surprisingly easy to bob through college like a paper boat on a stream. I careened through my academics without much reflection, and before I knew it, I was docked at graduation. Hindsight is 20-20 but this much is true: set a goal greater than graduation and create a structure that enables you to attain it. Take small steps to reach bigger ones. Assess. Reassess. Network with professors in your field: pick their brains and inquire as to how they arrived at the present moment. Degrees are one size fits all: meet with your academic advisor and consider tailoring your curriculum in ways that suit you best. Join an organization to meet people who share your values and interests. Drink, eat, sleep in moderation. Exercise and discover healthy ways to reduce stress. Be present. Schedule and honor time for yourself. Consider graduate school or PhD programs, if that is your thing. Be kind to yourself. Mistakes are inevitable. You can always start anew. Cherish free pizza. There are few times in life where so many resources are at your disposal. From art and music, to mental health and career development, be opportunistic and understand that you have choices.

Ellen

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself not to be scared or nervous. The transition from high school to college is certainly daunting, but there is a learning curve. All that I would need to remember is the importance of finding a balance. There is so much to do and see and so many people to meet at college, and doing all of those things and gaining those experiences is as important as studying diligently. If something appeals to you, whether you think you have the skills or experience to do it or not, just go for it because this is the time to find those things out about yourself. Don't be afraid to discover new things, because that is what college is all about! Don't worry too much about whether you will get it, because it comes naturally and even if it doesn't, learning how to deal with that is all part of the experience. In short: college is a time of trial and error, so make the best of it.

Charlotte

Study consistently, you can't start cramming a few days before an exam and do well! Go to office hours, and do homework with a study group. Be more friendly and social! Initiate social events, and join something. Friends won't come to you. They can only reach out halfway, and you have to reach and meet them. Don't spend hours wasting time on the internet. If you're not doing schoolwork, at least do something worthwhile. Read, draw, explore Boston. Have something to show for your time. If you think you're unhappy with your major, your plans, or your classes, don't ignore it and hope 'it'll work out'. Examine yourself. Don't be scared to let go of things you don't want, no matter how much you used to want it. This is the most important thing of all: Even if you make every single mistake I've warned you about, forgive yourself. Part of moving forward is looking forward. Don't compare yourself to others, or be upset if things aren't perfect. Sucess isn't some far-away mountaintop. If you're climbing, you're successful already.

The first thing I would tell myself is be organized. When you suddenly can do whatever you want with your free time, sometimes you truly don't remember all the work you have to do. Planning ahead and staying on top of work will alleviate so much stress. Don't forget to enjoy yourself and don't forget to call your parents! They miss you more than you know

Brenden

Keep as many friendships as possible and don't ever use anybody as a temporary means to an end. You don't need to stay in touch with every person you've ever known, but you'll realize years later that you've turned your back on good people and in some cases, it will be too late. Do what makes you happy, but keep an eye on the future. I have never regretted a single art class, but there's nothing wrong with sneaking in a marketing class or two. You'll have to learn a lot of those skills later. Artists need to know how to communicate, too. Trust me when I tell you to continue studying Spanish. It will come in handy more often than you think and it's a lot harder to pick back up when you're in your late twenties. You're going to do very well by following your heart, but if I could sum up what I wish you'd done a better job of, please stop and think about what you're doing and how it will affect your future and the people around you more often that I did.

I know it's scary going so far away from home and most of your closest friends, but know that this is going to be the best year of your life. You are going to meet so many great people and have so many great experiences that you never had before and would never have been able to have if you had stayed in your comfort zone. It's going to be scary, I'm not going to lie. But embrace that feeling. Embrace the nervousness. Because nervousness is the feeling that comes right before something great happens. You are going to grow so much as a person, and have the time of your life. Now for some more specific advice. Go check to see how Spencer is doing early on in that party in your room; he's going to throw up. Definitely hash out the details of who gets the bathroom in the suite before deciding on who you'll be living with sophomore year. Also, set two alarms for your statistics final second semester. Just trust me on that one. Above all, remember to be who you are and give everything your best. You'll be fine.

Dionicy

Do not slack! You may think you know it all but that is not true. Procrastination is the enemy and it is up to you to take it down. Make flashcards after every lecture and study because good grades will not be handed to you. You will regret it (terribly) if the semester ends and you are left with bad grades that you know you could have avoided by studying more.

Lucas

I would tell myself that it is really important to balance everything that you want to do and not get too overwhelmed with everything going on. Just take things one week at a time, don't think about everything all at once. Otherwise it will drive you crazy with all the thing happening.

Jeraldin

Here you are thinking you're fully prepared to go to college. Attending a college-prepatory high school and balancing school, church and sports are not enough. There is still some more preparing to do. You need to prepare yourself. Remember that Boston University is not Classical High School. You are attending one of the best universities in the world. You received an amazing scholarship from them and had great grades but once you are here you need to continue to strive to do your best. Even though it is a lot harder and there is smaller room for error it does not mean you can't succeed. Now you are learning to be independent and manage your time better. I know you very well so my biggest word of advice to you is don't drown yourself. What I mean is you tend to forget that you need time for others and yourself. You focus and worry too much about being the best because you came from a poor family and are a first generation student. Remember, you can do this. You have a new chance at the day every morning you wake up. Just be you!

Dear me, You have no idea what awaits you. All these nights you've stayed awake thinking you don't want to go to college will be quickly forgotten; brushed aside as silly. On move-in day, you will think you can't do this; but YOU CAN. And you will, all 4 years. You'll make friends with people on your dorm floor who will enrich your life and bring out the social side in you that you never thought you had. Being around them makes being at school so exciting that missing home doesn't even occur to you. Just be smart, not ignorant. Guys are immature. Focus on you (Trust me). Classes are not much different than high school, there's just less dilly-dallying and the material is satisfyingly richer. You will succeed through the work load, getting everything done to your standards and more (you will now have the free time to do it; even to sleep in! Also, start yoga sooner, it will help). Being at BU is like... being at camp. Except you're not a kid just having fun, you're becoming an independent adult whilst broadening your intellectual world. Be yoU!

Tori

Leaving your parents behind to live in a strange place with people you don't know may sound overwhelming. However, you quickly get over that feeling when you get on campus for move in day and realize you made the right decision. You will meet so many different people and have the opportunity to participate in different events and clubs. Take advantage of all of these opportunities because they are what make your first year at college memorable. Don't overwhelm yourself though, you're at this institution to get an education and overdoing it can cause your grades to slip. Don't be scared to try new things and egage with people you normally wouldn't. Those things may turn out to be your calling in life or that person may become your best friend. Remember that almost everyone there is looking to make new friends too so don't be afraid to go up to someone and introduce yourself. I guarantee if you follow my advice, these will be some of your most memorable years!

If I were to go back and talk to my high school senior self I would first warn myself of the widespread competition. In addition, I would tell myself to order text books in advance and study them prior to arriving on campus (mainly for Chemistry). Knowing me, I probably would not take that advice, so, I may as well give myself easier advice. I would instead tell myself that the transition is difficult, but as long as I keep in touch with my high school friends and make friends at college in the beginning rather than soley sticking with my roommate, I should be fine. The main problem for me was my unfortunate fall out with my roommate, my only friend my first two weeks of school. Once she was gone, it was difficult to fill my time. It would be beneficial to be able to tell myself about the unfortunate situation.

Makaela

Makaela, it may seem as though your parents and academic counselors are pressuring you about class placement and curriculum, but what they say is absolutely true. When you sign up for classes in college, all of the AP credits and IB credits contribute to your college credits! So do not let the opportunity to take college classes in high school pass you by. Once you get into college, you'll feel overwhelmed academically. But if you already come in with credits you'll be off to a much better start. That being said, take advantage of the classes you can take in college! Challenge yourself, and explore new areas of interest. College is the best time to widen your world and explore new areas of knowldege. I will admit, social life, community service, and other activities on campus are a large portion of the college life. But do not underestimate the classes and knowledge offered to you.

Somiya

“Sarah’s gay,” or, “Tom had sex with Angie,” or even, “Margaret said she wants to commit suicide,” are nasty bullet-in-the-heart type of rumors that will zoom throughout high-school at the speed of light. Remember, rumors are like traffic: A busy NYC lawyer could take the elevator down to scream at the traffic outside his office or he could just choose to ignore the noise. Especially if the rumor is about you stay out of it. Trust me; you are doing the right thing. Focus on developing yourself so that one day you will shed light upon the gossipers. Only you know what you want and where your heart wants to be. See your life now as a diamond in the rough- nothing but a pebble. When you ask, "Why do we have to learn this?" think of all the different points of light on a diamond as ways to appreciate life. If all you did for four years was to play video games, you’d become a brainwashed couch potato and your diamond a lumpy rock with one random facet on its side. Let’s be honest here. No one wants to be that rock.

mariam

If i could go back to my senior year in highschool, i would've had less fun & worked more to save money --not for prom but for college.

Lena

If I was to give my high school self some advice, I would tell myself to forget my insecurities, and that everything will be alright. In high school, I was shy and built this wall between myself and the world around me. My parents got divorced my freshman year, and this resulted in my anxiety disorder and depression. I constantly worried about not having friends and despising myself. When I think back to what my insecurities were about, and how they tortured me in my head, I laugh. How silly are those things to me now. In fact, so many high school drama stories are laughable after a few short years. If I could pass on this knowledge and confidence with my advice, I would. If I were to relive high school, I would walk the hallways with my head held high, and I would stand up for myself no matter who tried to put me down. Every small comment from the school bully or it girl would be defended with my confidence in my intelligence and genius sarcasm. I would leave those hallways everyday confident in what I would become once I graduate, and that is something special.

Melody

I would tell myself to focus and never give up. Don't listen to any who has any negative words on what I'm doing. If I believe I can do it, then go for it. You have to give it your all and never quit.

Ryon

I would say, wake up! You're young, happy, healthy and quite stress free. Now is the time for you to get on top because college is fun but gets tough when you are juggling a job, school, relationships, paying rent, a life and all the other stresses life brings on. Take every oppurtunity you have to raise the funds you need for school. Research, plan, stick to your guns and put your nose to the grindstone. If you do this, you will look up at the age of 22 with your whole life ahead of you and a Bachelors degree with your name on it. You will want this more than you can imagine a few years from now. "Don't let anybody tell you that you can't do something...if you want something, go get it, period". This is your one shot at life and you have to squeeze every drop out of it you can, so get ahead and enjoy the ride! P.S. Alchohol is expensive and is not as much fun as you think, stay away.

Cristian

College life is nothing like how I imagined it when I was beginning to think about my path in a post-secondary institution. Sure, college brochures do an excellent job of “glittering” and highlighting all the fortes of an institution, but the actual “college experience” is dependent on ones actions, encounters, and ability to work with what is given. If I could give my high school-senior-self advice it would be to come into college with an open mind. My life at Boston University from that of my life in Arizona is approximately 99.99{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} different. Coming to BU for the first time, the transition was rough. Adjusting to change must be faced with positivity. For example, at the beginning I complained endlessly about the cold weather. However, now I view the weather as a happening that I never experienced in Arizona, rather than attributing to a miserable day. Thus, I would tell my high school-senior-self to always keep an open mind to change. Not only will this help me in future endeavors that I possess, but also I will be happier given that in life change is the only constant.

Ramona

The advice I would give my senior self knowing what I know now about college life and the difficult transitions I have struggled with is you should have started college right after graduation,because learning would have been a lot easier and you would not forget everything you learned in high school everything would have remained fresh in your mind and you would have fit in better among all of the high school kids that are there now.The transition from high school to college would have been a lot easier for me back when I was eighteen years old instead of now that I am in my forties.Getting through all of my classes would have been a whole lot simpler back then as well.

Avion

I would tell my high school senior self to be prepared for the end of "senioritis", to save as money as I could and to make an effort to end my senior year as academically strong as I could. "Senioritis" is an epidemic that forces seniors to believe that they can contribute minimal effort in their last year of studies and still get into the college of their dreams. This just isn't true and while I was lucky enough to receive a great amount of need-based scholarships, I regret not putting in enough effort to possibly winning more money through merit-scholarships. As a senior I had no sense of responsibility when it came to my spending and realize now that if I had I wouldn't have had to work to pay off my student dues. Finally, college is no walk in the park. In fact, my first year in college was the first time in my life that I had to diligently study and put effort into my classes. It's a great learning experience for young people like me because it's proof that nothing in life comes without sacrafice.

Charmaine

Enjoy the time you have being a highschool senior, value the freinds you have now but remember that not all of them will remain close as life pulling you all in different directions. Decide what career you want to pursue becasue the earlier you know, the sooner you can take classes towards your major that will interest you. Think of the types of groups and people you want to associate yourself with; while making that decision, not to have your future and best interest in mind. If you are serious about the nursing program, do not slack off. Make sure you do everything it takes to get A's in your classes; college is not like high school, slacking off will not get far. Start finding out your best methods of studying as they will help you adjust to classes in college; it only gets harder from here so take all this advice seriously. Don't be afraid to talk to councelors as they will help you stay on track to graduate. Do not forget to look apporachable because it is important to meet friends as you will need their company to remain sane during this stressful time called college.

I would tell myself that between 2007 and 2009, three of my closest family members would die of cancer, and that I would undergo four major shoulder operations, losing most of the cartilage in both joints. Before this happened, I felt like a kid lost in a big world. These events made me think in a new light about my responsibilities as a family member and as a man in a world full of disease and human suffering. I had to answer a major question: would I live as an observer and a complacent victim, or would I stand up and push back? I had long wanted to play an active role in finding solutions for these health problems; these events moved me to get a better grasp of biological sciences. I added the Pre-Med track to my Management degree, and maintained a 4.0 science and math GPA / 3.93 overall GPA since that pivotal time. I would tell myself that my grandfather's last words to me were true. "There is always a silver lining," he said.

The most important thing I have learned is that the world won't come to you. You have to go find the world if you really want to experience what life is all about. Sign up for a club you really enjoy and are passionate about. Then, on your free nights, sign up for a club you know nothing about. Whenever there is a guest lecturer giving a talk, attend, even if it won't do you any good in your acedemics. When you have the chance to interact with some amazing minds, take it. Don't be afraid to make friends with your professors. Even in your first semester, put the time into going to office hours and making sure you're known. If someone asks you to help them with a project or experiment, say yes; you have nothing to lose. Make time for homework, but have fun with friends as well. Explore your city, you've gone away to college to be somewhere new, so be there. And, if nothing else, mantain your love of discovery. Friends, being away from home, and college life get hard. Remember why you are here: to learn.

Marie

Even people who profess their undying love to their alma mater will admit that entering college was not easy. Besides moving away from home, navigating the dining hall, and doing laundry for perhaps the first time, college students must rediscover and reaffirm their values. Here’s my advice: remember that the best friend you can make is yourself. Many students compromise their values to fit in with people they have only known for a short time. My first semester, I sacrificed to make friends, staying up late socializing when I had homework, laughing at jokes that made me uncomfortable, and holding onto relationships that had no true foundation. While one should have many acquaintances freshman year, I should have worked harder to maintain my integrity than to maintain my relationships, for it is better to lose one’s friends than to lose oneself. Therefore, I advise: pursue your passions, study hard, and have alone time. As an older classmate once warned, write down several things you promise you will never do in college, and stick to the list. After giving yourself some time to reaffirm your values, reevaluate your relationships and invest in those that will help you to grow.

Jeray

“The moment I arrive at Boston University, I would be welcomed by volumes of opportunities and decisions. It is a glaring fact. The very second my shoes hit the campus pavement – I would be my own man. Honestly, this is a pretty exciting revelation – no curfews, no supervision, no constraints at all – but the more I think about it, the more anxious I become. This new world I would be stepping into would be anything but familiar. Not only would I be vulnerable, but I would also be exposed to so many new entities – good and bad alike. For this reason, the one thing I so dearly hope to accomplish as an undergraduate at Boston University is survival.” Remember? That’s the introduction to the essay you sent a few months ago. As your new journey nears, you know you can never truly be ready, but keep this in mind: (1) You may not be as bright as most kids, but please don’t get discouraged – always try harder. (2) College is a time for learning and new experiences. It’s okay to be cautious, but don’t hold back. (3) Most importantly, stay true to who you are –BU.

Understanding and appreciating the experiences that I have had thus far in my college career, there are almost a million things I would have like to have known beforehand. Coming from a very small school with a heavy emphasis on spirituality, transitioning into college during my freshman fall semester was of the most unforeseen happening –ever. I have learned more in the two years I have completed at Boston University about sacrifices for education. I would prepare myself to sacrifice hanging out with friends, spending money frivolously, and sleeping on a regular basis. Of these three I doubt that no matter how much I prepared I would be ready to live the next four years with at most five hours of sleep per day. In high school and even younger years, staying up late was a cool trend, however as soon as my life in college began staying up late was a necessity. Sleepless nights are indeed unavoidable in college. Having saved my physical health, and having been very much appreciated, afternoon naps are the secret to succeeding in college! I wish I had figured them out within my first week of college as opposed to my first two years!

TAIYE

I will strongly advice myself to be focus and and serious about my education. I advice myself to strive to be the top in my class and to graduate with honors and with a top GPA so that i can be accepted for admission in a very prestigious schools. I will advice myself to college prepare as college is a entirely different from high school.

Looking back on my senior year of high school, the most helpful piece of advice I could give myself would be to take a deep breath and relax. I was stressed out for the majority of the year, and it often tainted my enjoyment of senior activities. I worried that I chose the wrong school, or that I would have trouble fitting in, but that was far from the case. College, luckily, came naturally for me. Of course I struggled with the coursework, but I expected that. What I feared the most was having social difficulties, I was so scared to leave my friends and family. At school, however, it wasn't like I was leaving my family, but rather I was meeting another one. The people I met are some of the most genuine I have ever known, and they are the reason why my transition was nearly flawless. To the Paige of the past, hang in there because it only gets better.

Tchiodega

l had graduated with honor student and AP French in May 2010. I decided to to major in Biology to a surgeon as a career.

This is your life and your education, own it. It is true that 60{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of what you learn in college is outside the classroom, but you are paying for the 40{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} so take it seriously. Your ability to commit and see this through will reflect well on the rest of your life. Be yourself, but allow yourself room to grow. When you get off the plane in a new city far from home things will be different. Embrace it, but know this will be the hardest transition. Make friends and always be the friend you would want to have. Your life will be more fulfilling in the end. Don’t join Facebook, it will waste your time. Talk to people face to face more than on the phone. Spend time, not money, you won’t have any anyway. Participate in a team sport even if you have never played before. Don’t date anyone on your floor; it is more trouble than you think. You will love some, but it is fleeting and there is better yet to come. Get involved. College is supposed to be fun, but don’t be stupid. Stay true to yourself. You know the difference.

Warren Towers is a huge dorm with a lot of people in it. The freshman dorm rooms can get pretty warm so be sure to have a fan for September and April/May.

If I could go back in time and give my high school self some advice, it would simply be relax. I don't regret any of the hard work I did to perprae myself for college because it allowed me to get into a good school and to maintain good grades while I am here. However, I do regret stressing so much about things that have proven to be trivial. I would give myself the same advice I would give to any high senior; work hard, aim high, but don't burn yourself out. All of your efforts will lead you where you are meant to be, just have a little faith that things do get better, better than you can even imagine.

In high school, I was focused too much on the name of the school I wanted to attend. I wanted to go to a school that was highly recognizable, as I thought that that would mean more opportunities in and out of college. As I have gone through college, I have realized that these opportunities don't make themselves, but you must work for them. Going to a major named university will mean nothing if you don't optimize your opportunities or do well in your classes. With that said, don't be disappointed if you don't get in your first choice university or financially cannot afford to go there Wherever you end up, make sure you open up opportunities for yourself. Ask professors about research opportunities if that is important to you or go out for the school newspaper if you're majoring in journalism. What's most important when you are looking for a job is not where you attended, but how you spent your college years. Wherever you decide to attend, make sure you make the most of your resources and try new things to diversify your skills. That will be most important to future employers.

Leanne

Every freshman NEEDS to take advantage of professor's office hours. Meeting with your professor during office hours is such a great way to make yourself known to the professor and to pose questions about areas you may be struggling with. I only went to office hours a few times during freshmen year and I definitely wish I had went more often. The professors are always willing to meet with you, but they're not going to be checking up on you. That means that it's up to you to take advantage of their office hours.

Be open-minded, be yourself and don't judge others. My main goal going into BU was trying to fit in which was a HUGE mistake. Once I dismissed that thought and just tried to be myself, I started having an incredible time and starting making friends just as weird as I am.

Boston University is a big place and you may have mixed feelings about attending a large school, but step in get involved and you won't feel overwhelmed by the number of students around you. Also, learn how to manage your time and compromise with others especially if you are not used to sharing your space with anyone.

MARLYN

My advise will be that oppotunities are not given very often. Since opportunities are not given very often I should then consider to take an advantage of it and use it very wisely. I will also advice myself that college is not how it seems or presented, just give it a try and you would not want to reject. My advice will also be that by being a college student I will only not change my future but others as well. Also my advice will be that education is the key to success, that earning a master degree diploma is like earning a 24 karat golden crown that no one will take away from me no matter what.

Definitely work harder and get better grades. That's the most important thing. Don't slack off in high school. Also apply for jobs and begin a resume in high school; it's harder to find time to get a job during college. Apply for scholarships and grants and find a way to also get financial aid, not just loans. Be prepared for moving and adapting to new places and learning things!!

Frances

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would have a considerable amount of advice to offer my high school self. Primarily, I would tell my high school self, to avoid succumbing to lazy behavior. In my respective high school, slacking off and developing a lackadaisical attitude towards schoolwork was not even frowned upon, faculty and students alike revolved around a cycle of mediocrity. Obviously, that type of work ethic isn't tolerable for someone seeking a successful college education. Maintaining a positive attitude and demeanor towards your work is a concept that should never be minimialized. In addition, college is essentially a fresh start. Introduce yourself to people, and you'll make friends and people you can learn from almost instantaneously. It's important to realize, especially as a freshman, that everyone is basically in the same place as you, with comparable levels of intellect. Oh high school self, college is your opportunity to pave your personal path of prosperity!

meh

I would not tell myself a thing. I loved my freshman year of college, and even though I made mistakes, they were necessary mistakes. I learned so much about myself from my experiences- good and bad. So I would not try to change anything that happened by giving myself advice; I would relieve every last second of my freshman year exactly the same way as I had experienced it the first time.

Avra

I was so unsure of myself then, I wish I could've been a little more confident in my wants and needs as a student. I am glad that I ended up at BU, I love the city and I have had some amazing opportunities here. I try not to look back because I am happy with what I have and what I have accomplished. If I hadn't attended this school, I don't know what would have been different, but I would tell myself to be confident in the decision I make, not just choosing what school to attend but in every choice made on a daily basis. Everything happens for a reason, I would tell myself, there really is no wrong choice, it's what you make of your situation, try not to regret things by taking time in choosing but just to accept reality and work with it as best you can. Things are never really perfect but they can be really great, so I would say strive for success, don't listen to anyone else, follow your heart, work hard, dream big and choose well, choose wisely and of course with confidence!

Mikyla

Do not overload yourself Freshman year. Give yourself time to adjust to life and classes. Do not stress about the change or making new friends. Everything will work itself out.

I would give the advice to go to a less competitive college where I would not be required to live on campus. After my high school background, I don't think I was prepared enough for a college of the rigor of Boston University. Also, the freshmen on-campus requirement took a toll on my emotional and academic state. Living with a random roommate may be the "college experience" but it is not for everybody. Sometimes when a student lives with someone who is so different than them, the tension can make the experience more than uncomfortable. Finally, I would advise an incoming college freshman to plan an easy course load the first year because the transition from high school to college is so difficult.

In high school, I easily made friends, got involved in outside activities, and maintained a high GPA. Upon entering my first year at college, I remained in the mindset that everything would continue to come easily to me. Looking back, I wish I could tell my senior-self that college is a different world; the independence is empowering, but college life requires a lot more work and dedication in order to be successful. That said, I enjoyed my time at Boston University immensely and will be returning for graduate school in the fall.

There is not much to say, I believe I made a great choice starting off at small community college and then transferring when I received my associates degree to a larger one. Staying at home for the first two years really helped me transition from high school life to college life, and keep my grades up. Not I am ready to move on to a larger college and get my bachelors, then masters degree. If I had to say anything I would say study hard, keep focused on your goal, and most importantly do not procrastinate. Since I have been in college I have realized that others including myself would wait to the last minute to study or do homework. Thus causing a lot of stress and stopping myself and others from reaching their full potential. If you study early and finish your homework on time, not only is the stress relived but you have more time to enjoy and understand your subjects better. Also making the heavy college load lighter and help you go further in your education.

Jeanmarie

Looking back, I would tell myself to never doubt myself. I attended Boston University my sophomore through senior year, but I started out my freshman year at the University of Delaware. I hated UDel, but I chose to go there because it was the cheapest option. I wanted to go to BU, but I was scared to take out $140,000 in loans. I was on Dean's list in Delaware, but was miserable. All I could think about was how I was supposed to be at BU. When I was accepted as a transfer student at BU, I remember shaking as I mailed BU my $600 deposit (money I had to borrow at the time). I realized that responsibility I was undertaking in going to a much more expensive school. I had to work two jobs and credit overload to graduate on time with the least amount of debt. I also volunteered, interned, and joined a sorority. Most nights I got less than three hours of sleep. However, looking back I wouldn't have it any other way. As I embark on grad school, I am in a similiar financial position. I hope I've the right choice again.

Blaire

Dear Campus Discovery, If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior there is a lot I would say. I would tell myself to have courage, persistence, and faith. I would also tell myself life goes on despite the ups and downs of high school. I would tell myself that there are many oppurtunities in life. When one door shuts another one opens. The biggest thing I would tell myself is to have faith. To believe in something greater than myself . Have a purpose in life and an unwaivering dedication. I would tell myself to keep believing and working to make the world a better place. Thankyou for your consideration, Blaire Davidson

Polina

I would give myself two pieces of advice. First, I would tell myself that believing in your own potential is the key to succeeding at college. After a depressing high school experience, I had no faith in ever finding true friends, an honest boyfriend or reaching the ivy-league standards I failed to reach in high school. The first year of college I spent crying myself to sleep, skipping classes, smoking weed and getting drunk. I was pathetic. Looking back now, I realize how many opportunities I could have taken advantage of if only I had been confident and optimistic. Which leads to my second advice: Take some time to listen and learn from your elders. That following summer I spent some quality time with my grandparents. Through their reflections, I finally realized just how precious time really is. Life is singular and if we aren't taking chances, living every moment and believing in a happy ending, then we're only adding more misery and negativity to the world. This philosophy has helped me meet great friends, a loving boyfriend and find the courage to apply to Harvard for my M.Ed, for which I was recently accepted.