Boston University Top Questions

What's the Greek scene like?

Ruth

Only 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student population is involved, but it does have a good presence at BU.

Kevin

I was a part of it so I loved it. It is a small community but it is growing quickly. The Greek community makes up about 5{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student population so it is easy to not be a part of it but for those who want to it's there. There are 9 recognized fraternities on campus, 10 recognized sororities, and 6 fraternities and sororities recognized as the multicultural Greek council. They are always doing events on and off campus so you wont miss them. The Greeks do not currently have houses on campus but are trying to work with the University to hopefully have them again.

Leanne

There is Greek life on campus, but it only makes up about 11{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of our student population. This creates a nice balance because if students want to get involved with Greek life they definitely can but no one is ever forced to. Being a part of Greek life definitely does not drive the social scene and our Greek life is non-residential meaning that we don't have sorority or fraternity houses on campus.

The Greek scene isn't a huge part of campus life, it's something that about 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of students are involved with. There are no on-campus or official Greek houses, though Greeks will tend to live together on and off campus. If you're looking to get involved with Greek life, it's definitely there for you. I'm friends with several girls in sororities who aren't stereotypical "sorority girls." The girls I know are all down-to-earth, funny, friendly, are social outside of their sororities and are involved with community service. There's no pressure to join or not to join Greek organizations.

Catherine

I don't really know much about Greek life at BU. here are some basics: I know it exists, and I am told the frats are all full of "bros." There are multiple frats and sororities, so if you are interested I know it's a good idea to rush and meet all the different groups. I had a friend who rushed and had a blast. However, keep in mind Greek life can be expensive. As for the sororities, I know they don't have living arrangements on campus. There's an old rumor claiming there is an old Massachusetts law that more than 5 women living together under one roof can be categorized a brothel, and is therefore illegal. No one I meet has any idea if it is true, but it is an entertaining story.

Lisa

I am not a part of greek life, but I know that if you are into that sort of thing you will be able to find a sorority or frat that will suit you. I would say that it is pretty popular around campus.