Boston University

« See more reviews of Boston University

At BU you must be prepared to work VERY hard. Professors talk very quickly, and you need effective, yet EFFICENT notes. Majority of information you need to know will come from your lecture/reading notes. It is important to review these weekly to do well on your midterm exams. It takes 16 times for you to look at something and to fully understand it. Reviewing all material weekly will help you excel during your exams. Also, take advantage of writing centers and tutors, even if you think you dont need it - they improve your grades immensely!

Nothing. Yeah, it might have been nice to know that without your ID you can't get back into dorms, but then I would never have met Megan, the cute Sophomore that signed me in and explained the rules to me. And knowing the geography of Boston might have helped, but then I wouldn't have gotten lost on that run and found that awesome park along the Charles. And maybe I could have know more math, but then I wouldn't have met Nick, John, or Cait, my current roomates and best friends. I like how things turned out.

Before coming to Boston University, I wish I had known the importance of making a conscious effort to create relationships. Yes, this seems like common sense, but BU is unique in the sense that it is sprawled out in an urban setting. Though our buildings are everywhere, sometimes it is extremely difficult to find good friends because there aren't a lot of places to gather. So, in order to find those new best friends, you have to be creative, friendly, and absolutely willing to put yourself out there.

I wish I would have known how immature and inexperienced I was. I quickly found out that I knew little about the way the world worked and how I could express exactly who I am. I was prepared for college academically, but not at all socially. I went through a radical identity crisis my first year of college, which I feel I could have been more prepared for if I had not been so ignorant and sheltered in my home town. Now, I am very happy with who I am now and I definitely went to the right school.

I wish I had known how hard it is to keep a balanced budget without sacraficing my social life. There's so much to do in Boston, but as a college student at a school with tuition in the $50,000.00 range it's hard to find fun, affordable activities. I saved a lot before I came to school, but I would've worked even more. You never really understand how fast money goes until you have no time to work but you still have to buy books and groceries. It was a really tough life lesson to learn.

The city of Boston is essentially the campus of Boston University, which indubitably provides an educational and multicultural playground. Although the city bustles with exciting people and activities, it can be effortless to squander money. It is unfortunate that there are few activities in Boston that do not depend upon human consumption. I wish I had known that social occupations would be so expensive and that urban life is so seductive in its means to enthrall and impoverish.

I wish I realized the severity of the financial burden I was placing on my family and myself by attending such an expensive school. I would recommend potential students do extensive research and soul -searching on what they look for in a college. While I love everything about my school, my financial situation remains a constant strain on my family. If you choose to attend an expensive school, make sure you choose a career that will allow you to repay your loans.

Boston is a great place to go to school, but sometimes the transition from living at home to living with roommates can be too much. I wish I knew how to manage my time better as a freshman and that created a physical schedule to balance the time I needed to study and have fun. I also wish I formulated a spending budget at the beginning the year. If I had I probably could've avoided frivolous spending on items that I didn't need or later regretted.

I wish someone had told me to be sure to attend all of the activities put on by the school including spring block parties and city excursions. I also wish I had been advised where the best places to meet people were and which clubs are the most fun to get involved in, such as the intramurals. Some things that I am glad I was told are to attend office hours with teachers and to get involved in student-to-student tutorials.

The large classes which basically drive curve based grading and the elitism found amongst students in science based classes. The environment here is very fake. I have only a few good friends that I don't apply a mask when approaching. The professors are smart but I think very few actually care about their students. There is a clase system here. The elitist few and the majority wondering what the hell is going on.