Boston University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Boston University

Claudia

I love it here! I applied early decision and do not regret my decision at all. I have had so many great opportunities on-campus and have made vital connections for my future career. Plus, the city of Boston is such a great location. I have friends at Northeastern and Harvard that I see weekly!

Vanessa

I believe Boston University is a great university to obtain a liberal arts education while focusing on your intended major. Academically, professors push you to obtain the grades you want and therefore the knowledge they want to instill in you. The university is committed to creating professionals for the future, and not to mention, the great location the school is in. The city serves as the backdrop of your studies, creating new experiences to discover.

Frances

Boston University is, overall, a great school. Most professors care about their student's education and are willing to work with them to ensure that they achieve what they want to. There is no shortage of activities to take part in. There is everything from fraternities to club sports to board game club. The students themselves are a very accepting and active bunch. The food in not the best, but no where near the worse. It does, however, get tiresome quite quickly. As for living spaces, they are pretty comfortable. They are pretty much what you expect of a college dorm.

Rakiya

I think that Boston University is a great school for those who seek to live in the city and experience a large pool of students with different experiences and roots. The only downside of Boston University, is that, although there are a large number of students, there isn't an equal or near equal distribution of each race, which can make it harder for some people who are used to being with people who look like them. International students are highly encouraged and they would not have a problem with this as they make up a large portion of the undergraduate population.

Naomi

I will be attending Boston University in the fall, and I am super excited! The school is amazing from what I have experienced and from the conversations I have had with current students and faculty, even those not on the admissions staff. The campus is super accessible and easy to navigate, it's extremely hard to get lost and most things are centrally located. The university itself has a ton of resources for students in terms of academics (well-stocked libraries, active advisors, experienced professors), recreation (big sports culture, club sports, cool music scene, a TON of student-led groups), and job experience (internships and campus work opportunities) both on-campus, in the flourishing city of Boston, and even abroad (the study abroad program has so many countries to travel to and you can intern abroad too)!

Misty

Boston University has some good features and some not-so-good features. Some of the good features include the feeling of community, the abundance of extracurriculars, the research opportunities, and the location. Though the school may seem large, it is easy for one to find his/her niche. The abundance of extracurriculars makes it easy for others to join a club or team they are interested in. The research opportunities offer a way for students to get involved in something that they find fascinating or to boost their resume. The location gives students access to wonderful opportunities that could be around them such as internships or volunteer experiences. However, there are not-so-good features as well. Some of these include the unreliable BU shuttle system, the lack of school spirit, and the amount of work. The BU shuttle system is not the best or the most reliable for transportation, and sometimes, it is easier to walk than to wait for it. The school’s lack of some football team or other outstanding athletics (besides hockey) contributes to a lack of school spirit with low student turnout for sports events. In addition, the academics are tough, leading to a large amount of work, especially for those in the STEM fields or in the honors college. Overall, I enjoy this school.

Ruth

I am really happy that I decided to attend Boston University. It provides me with a lot of academic and extracurricular opportunities. I've met a lot of different kinds of people here and become exposed to all sorts of backgrounds and interests. Boston is a great city in itself, especially with all the nearby stores and colleges.

Zara

Boston University is a great university with opportunities for all people. No matter who you are, you will be able to find peers with similar interests. This makes it a place for all people to truly learn and enjoy their college experience. The classes at this institution are definitely difficult, but most of the staff and professors want to help you succeed (this will depend on the department). However, it definitely is a college to consider because it truly does have a place for everyone.

Katherine

Boston University's academics are challenging. The class sizes are large but the professors are available and there are lots of resources available. There are a wide variety of on campus housing options and dining options, all of which are good. There isn't much of a sports culture or greek culture on campus but that is made up for by all that the city of Boston has to offer.

G.

The best ******* school you can possibly attend. Holy **** am I enlightened, and I think anyone could have a great, productive time here. Everyone here is SO happy. I hope this review is helpful!

Dylan

If you're ready to get a taste of the real world and all the good and bad things about it, go to BU. This place isn't about having fun, it's about getting a good education and outcompeting your fellow students. The arrogance in terms of most students, faculty and all that is top notch. The word I'd best use to describe BU is connections. Sure, for some you can make them, but the people who go to BU for the most part already have them and a solid amount try to just coast off that. It's an international school which is great but due to the high tuition the majority of students are pretty preppy and arrogant. Not having a campus is great, unless you're hoping to garner any sense of school spirit. Not that you can't have good times, you can have fun, make friends and memories, yet if you're a decent outgoing individual I'd say you can do that at any college. As long as I get my degree I'll be happy with it, but it sure as hell isn't worth the time or money in my mind when you could go to a equally good school that costs 1/2 or 2/3 as much that actually is fun.

Cassandra

I love everything about BU except the tuition.

Suzy

I think Boston University has a great support system, but due to its large student body, it is difficult to get the personal attention from professors. For example, when asking for recommendations, it is difficult because professors do not get to know their students on a personal level where this is possible. Although that is the case, a lot of students are still able to find their place and succeed in the long run.

I graduated from BU in 2014 and I had the best experience there. It's all about what you make of it. It is a very big school in the middle of a city so it's easy to feel a bit overwhelmed and it does take time to find your niche. The important thing is to branch out, explore, and try new things, which BU offers plenty of opportunities for. Boston is an amazing city, filled with tons of students, great food, diverse neighborhoods, and great sightseeing. BU offers a wide variety of extracurriculars, from Greek Life to film clubs to intramurals sports, and there really is something for everybody. While it is a big campus, the campus is linear, so you find yourself frequently running into people on the main street of Commonwealth Avenue. While it is a big school, class sizes vary. I have had large lectures with up to 100 students, and seminars with only about 20 or so. I have benefitted from both types of classroom experiences. I have had so many great professors at BU and still keep in touch with some after graduating. They are approachable, reliable, and are incredibly knowledgable. I have learned so much at BU, both inside and outside of the classroom, and I have zero regrets about choosing to receive my undergraduate education there.

YAGO

Boston University may not have the nicest looking campus or the film-like sorority scene but it is still a place I'm comfortable in. My experience with professors has always been above my expectations; they have regular office hours because they really do care about how you are doing in their classes and even host help sessions to make sure their students are learning what is needed. The sports culture at BU is also something that lifted my expectations. If hockey is your thing there are plenty of opportunities to see the Terriers compete against other schools in the Boston area in the Bean Pot Tournament as well as regular on-season competition. The other sports receive a great amount of support as well. Overall, however, BU is a place where I have been able to be myself and have not been afraid to be me, which is something I have not been able to say for quite some time. The people at Boston University are genuinely inclusive even if you do not belong to the same 'crowd' as those around you.

Morgan

I have found that BU is an extremely inviting and active community with something for everyone. Coming from the Midwest, I was really nervous that I wouldn't fit into the urban climate that Boston and BU has, but I've found that if you take the time to find a community or activity (and trust me, there are plenty), your experience, both academically and socially, is amazing.

melyna

jhvluv

Emma

The price is ridiculous, and they aren't too generous with their financial aid, but the opportunities are endless here. There are amazing people surrounding you (both students and professors) and the city provides lots of opportunity. The academics are rigorous.

Madison

Boston University is an extremely diverse environment surrounded by one of the best cities in the world. If going out is not your forte, there is always something to do in the city. BU also just insured everyone's financial aid this year, which really is a testament to how much they truly care about their students. Love the school.

Jan

Boston University is a great research institution with lots of diversity. There are many different kinds of people who come from different places and have different interests. There are also a lot of opportunities to do research, join clubs and organizations or sports. A lot of resources are available for academic and career planning so make use of it.

Elena

I have really enjoyed studying here, even though it has only been a semester. The deciding factor, for me, was the fact that I am still able to pursue a degree in Japanese and linguistics, all while studying music in a very conservatory-like environment. On top of all that, the city is right on our doorsteps, creating an amazing, invigorating environment in which to learn.

Briah

I come from a small town in Georgia and Boston University is about as different as different could be from everything I had experienced previously and I love it. There is always something to do on campus and the inner city is just a T ride or a quick walk away. Social scene aside, the academics and professors at Boston University are incredible and truly dedicate themselves to helping their students learn.

The overall atmosphere of Boston University is, in my opinion, unlike any other university experience. While there is something to be said for the apparent grade deflation, the people and faculty here are all extremely engaging. Everyone is passionate and motivated about something. The city, too, is inspiring within itself. There is nothing like living and taking classes in the literal middle of a hub of diversity such as Boston.

ging

It's great

Ava

BU is a wonderful place to gain a great academic and real world educational experience.

Senila

Love BU. I would not have picked another school. There are some bad professors but everyone is willing to help here, so everyone gets through the bad professors together. There are so many job and internship opportunities. I don't live on campus but the campus food is okay, not amazing. But there are so many places around campus to eat. Amazing location

Kathleen

I love Boston University because the environment on campus can be either suburban or urban, appealing to whatever type you like. The academics are great and you are really getting the education you're paying for; however, you are paying a lot. The people at BU are very sweet and caring of others' best interests. There's always something to do or a club to join no matter what you're into.

Marilyn

An amazing place. They have a great endowment and get phenomenal Professors. BU has something for everyone. No one knows your business. Love that. Very sophisticated university. Alum. include Martin Luther King to Howard Stern to Julianne Moore. Seriously, I had Elie Wiesel as a professor and Howard Zinn too. Many moons ago. My experience made me a much smarter and stronger person.

Frank

Boston University is a great school for the city lover. While it's not a traditional campus, it certainly is beautiful, and downtown is just a train ride away. Academically, Boston University is a great place to learn with moderate class sizes. There's a student group for everyone to join, making it a great place for every young adult.

Makayla

I chose to come to Boston because it is rich in history and promotes high standards. It is in the heart of the region’s natural beauty surrounded by restored and modernized historic buildings. An environment where students of all races, religions, and ethnicities are encouraged to engage in intercultural dialogues. A place that will allow me throughout my years in college, to discover new opinions, perspectives, and ideas that will broaden my worldview. Aside from the community, Boston University specifically will always push me to be my best. I want to develop the core capacities needed to make a positive impact on the world and to prepare me for tomorrow. Boston will excite me as I take advantage of opportunities like study abroad, internships, and pre-medical programs. It’ll allow me to shine in life past college. I want to be able to provide minorities the option of a self reflecting doctor given the substantial lack of representation in medicine. The path towards medical school is still very far, but I am determined and passionate about having the purpose to help. Upon admission to Boston University, I would gain immediate exposure to a curriculum that builds a strong foundation in medical science. I would thrive in the program by demonstrating my self-awareness, progressive learning, and commitment. This university will permit me to have skills on and off of the track as a student athlete; I’ll be able to display my commitment, integrity, and sportsmanship. Attending this college will allow me to become the best psychiatrist of my ability. My perfect school is Boston University.

Phineas

As a student in the College of Communication, I think I made the right choice in coming to Boston University. My main problem with the university is the practice of grade deflation. Most students do not receive the grades they have earned because professors are known to give out low grades and keep their class averages much lower than they should be. Overall, however, the quality of education is very high, and the professors are, for the most part, great.

Shreya

It is a great university but there aren't many research opportunities for students other than engineers and medical students. Food is good and since Boston University is in the middle of the city, all the services are easily accessible. You easily make friends and find your own community.

Raihana

It's an amazing school with a beautiful campus, helpful professors, excellent academics and diverse extracurricular activities. The campus is large and spacious with a lot of buildings and great architecture. The professors are understanding, compassionate and helpful. They have their student's best interest at heart and are willing to do what it takes to help them succeed.

Dana

My college search led me to believe that I needed a small, traditional campus in order for me to reach my full potential in a community of higher learning. BU, however, changed my perspective on this matter. I see BU’s grandeur as not a hindrance for anyone wishing to find their own community but rather a gateway to a much larger pool in which someone can have enough room develop socially and academically. I know that I do not feel limited by BU and its endless possibilities for classes to take, clubs to join, and experiences to explore. I've easily gotten used to the long walk along the Charles River from one end of campus to the other. I can honestly say I've found a community that allows me to grow and succeed as so many BU students have before me. My professors are all available and engaged, my class engagements and discussions are relevant, and my coursework is engaging and enjoyable. I love every inch of Boston University.

Mana

Boston University offers multiple opportunities in diverse fields of art, athletics, and academics due to its immense size. There are a wide variety of extracurricular clubs and food services to choose from. However, the school's large student population also increases the difficulty to strengthen school spirit; the school lacks a sense of community and spirit in school athletics.

Joy

An academically rigorous school, with a very expensive standard for cost of living on campus. The campus is too large to feel like a true college campus or build a sense of community. It's hard to secure adequate financial aid that doesn't involve all members of the family going into debt.

Boston University is honestly a fantastic school. The overall attitude of the entire place is just good vibes all around. It's pricey, but that might be the only real downside of the entire University. Once you're there, learning right in the heart of Boston, all the money seems worth it.

casey

BU encompasses the entirety of Commonwealth Avenue - or CommAve, as the students like to call it. BU is great, however, CommAve has got to be the most dangerous road I've ever encountered in my life. At any given moment, there are cars, the subway, bikers, and pedestrians, all trying to cross the same street at the same time. It's so dangerous. Other than that, BU provides ample opportunities for student engagement and learning.

Julia

Boston University is a wonderful and diverse institution. There are many places to visit and activities on campus to partake in. Academically, professors challenge students to learn and grow. While this university is not labeled as one of the ivy league institutions, it is considered a highly sought university.

Gabryelle

Boston University is a great institution. I decided to transfer to BU after a year and a half of moving in and out of other colleges and universities, and I finally found the right fit. The school is pretty big, but you get all of the necessary attention in your own major, which allows you to have a "big school" feel while getting the attention you would at a smaller school. The facilities and food are really good, and you can always find something to do. The location is great, but there's a lot of walking to be done, so space your classes and choose your dorm wisely!

Christine

Boston University is a large academic institution offering an array of undergraduate and graduate programs. Despite having more than 30,000 students, the school still manages to deliver individualized support to those who are interested in receiving more personalized educational resources. Professors are well receptive to students needs and are generally eager to help them succeed. However, because there are 30,000 students, opportunities and support are not handed out to those who do not seek them. In the long run, this will help students learn to become more proactive as they begin to look for employment opportunities, but it can make the transition to college more difficult for those who are used to receiving constant unsolicited guidance. The biggest drawbacks of Boston University are the cost of tuition and the rampant grade deflation. While I believe that BU provided me with an excellent academic foundation, I do not believe that the quality of education is unparalleled by more affordable college options. Furthermore, it is continuously ranked as one of the worst grade deflation offenders, and that was evident in almost every course I took. It is incredibly difficult to receive A’s because they are handed out in limited amounts regardless of overall performance. Given that the cost of college is an incredibly important factor for many students, and that a high undergraduate GPA is essential for graduate school admissions, I have decided to give BU 3.5 stars.

Les

It's a great place with great people. Facilities are fantastic and lots of things to do outside of class.

Lindsey

Boston's claim to fame, other than Paul Revere and the Freedom Trail and all the other important historical moments that took place around the small city, is being a college hub. There are over 30 colleges and universities in or around the Boston area, one of the best being Boston University. BU, as it is referred to by students, is a city school with a campus feel, a place where art, academics, and athletics all are valued at equal importance, a diverse university with an emphasis in social justice. As a current student of the School of Theatre, I feel as though BU allows me and my peers a space to create art that we care about and that is relevant in the world today. No other school can compare to the amazing faculty and staff the School of Theatre, and the rest of BU schools, have. I am constantly feeling challenged and supported within my classes and the academic realm. Boston University is a great school in a great location in a great city. I feel at home at BU, and from the looks of it, the rest of the students feel that way too.

Kaelyn

The school is amazing. I have found many extracurricular activities I may not have planned on joining. However, there is such opportunity to discover new things. In addition, the city itself is unforgettable. Discovering Boston is an experience like no other.

Cassandra

The school is full of plenty of opportunities for a variety of majors. Even though my major is quite competitive, there are still plenty of options to take advantage of including research, clubs, and even off campus opportunities. The campus is beautiful and in the heart of Boston. It's a great atmosphere and I hope to achieve a lot in my four years here.

Nancy

Boston University has offered me numerous opportunities to expand my knowledge, grow as a person, and to explore multiple areas outside of my major. I've taken some of the hardest classes they have to offered and I have learned more than I can imagine. Even though the classes I took were super challenging, I am proud of myself for everything I accomplished in my first year of college. I'm excited for the next three years and I look forward to other opportunities that will arise.

Clayton

If you aren't living in the wealthiest zip in your area, if you're not easily fed and entertained, and if you're even slightly apathetic toward our current abusive social media addiction, then this is not the school for you. Alternatively, if you like creative problem solving and thought provoking challenges, if you like meaningful and productive conversations, and if you believe college to be the place you find true love, lasting friendships, and business partners amongst you... THIS IS NOT the college for you. Most students wake up with just enough time to complain about their morning class, sit through it with computers opened to facebook or twitter, only to blankly stare when asked to respond in class, or (worst) partake in the absurdly mediocre team building exercises, before they march back home. The only change up in schedule from the average student routinely sitting in the dorms waiting for something new to be posted, is thursday or friday night when people are told they "ought to go out tonight" just to find a packed T's pub, or Landsdowne full of boring, easily entertained students (I'll refrain from the other word I was thinking...). BU is a business that efficiently solves any issue brought to the attention of faculty, by giving into the whiner fully. This tactic is littered with hypocrisy, as you'll witness a student skipping the entire semester of course material, missing projects, hw and the final, and then still passing because of a rampant email chain between their professor and them. I've witnessed first hand a full fledged Xanax addict remain enrolled for three semesters without even meeting some of the professors (no joke), with just a correctly timed email (I've even helped him send the emails!). It's unfortunate because the school that claims to be built on "integrity" is holding their employees over boiling water rather than dealing with the pesky and often troubled, affluent students because, "boy oh boy does that tuition check look good!" It's too common, especially in the joke of a business school "Questrom" (renamed from school of management SMG thinking it would help the ratings..) to see the school's true intent outshine the needs of students or faculty raising legitimate issue. One such in particular, is how Questrom keeps spending money on (already existing!!) light fixtures, sound equipment, and room decor while still holding classes of 60 students in rooms with only 50 chairs. Avoiding the problem also avoids a solution. BU has been and will continue to be a poignant reminder that we are not the big businesses main concern. If you don't have the money, or the patience to test your own mental fortitude, you will find yourself in complete solitude... Honestly helped tremendously with my personal writing, so this isn't meant as an attack. Just more of a reality check for "normal" smart prospectives.

Tommy

Boston University is a phenomenal school. Just not the best. It's full of involved students, teachers who actually care, and events for students who don't know where a good party is. The food easily gets boring, but it'll do if you're starving after a workout at BU's fitness center, one of the best I've seen in my whole 19 years of living. There seems to be minimal moderate housing. Either you're stuck in the worst freshman dorms, or you're living lavishly in the $15,000+ apartment-style housing. And the school is in Boston, so you cannot go wrong with trying to shop, try authentic cuisines, or just enjoying a night out. Academics wise, the coursework is grueling, but you'll reach the end (I hope) with the help of the friends you make. I definitely do not regret attending BU. I've met some of my best friends and lived through some of the best and worst experiences that shaped me into the person I am today. The clay isn't quite hardened yet, so BU still has much impact to make on me.

Jacob

What sets Boston University apart from the rest is not only the simplicity of the campus (as it spans over the one main road of Commonwealth Avenue), but also the caliber of academics. I am a student of the College of General Studies (matriculating into the Questrom School of Business), and have seen this trait amongst all of my professors as they are thorough with course materials, but even more so when interacting with students outside the classroom (especially with office hours). Professors care about student success and it is paramount for the overall success that is found at BU.

Liliana

In my opinion Boston university is the school for me. I absolutely love everything about it!