Brunswick, ME
Bowdoin College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bowdoin College

omar

The best part about bowdoin is its intimate environment. I think it is the right size, and I do not get much of a reaction from people when I tell them I go to bowdoin. I spend most of my time in Smith Union. I think Bowdoin is a college town. I do not recall a big controversy on campus recently. I think there is a school pride, which I share. Bowdoin has very extreme winters, which are probably most memorable for me.

The financial and racial background of bowdoin college is diverse relative to other schools in maine. the school is more suited for people looking for an involved experience where they can move at their own pace.

The intimate environment makes bowdoin's academic setting invaluable. We have the ability to remain in close contact with our teachers in and outside of class. The academics are taken seriously bu are not overly competitive. Bowdoin's academics are more geared towards giving students a learning experience, but the college provides excellent resources for finding work in fields that students are interested in.

I am a participant in 2 marshall arts clubs and have tried many intramural sports.

we drink alot because there is nothing else to do we are underachievers

Jonathan

The best thing about Bowdoin--and this is probably more a recommendation to small liberal arts colleges in general--is the access to faculty and the mentoring that happens on campus. This is especially apparent in the sciences, where faculty mentoring can make all the difference. I'm in an intro biology class right now, and not only do both of the professors know my name, one of them has even shared some advice with me during office hours. When I see him in passing around campus, he'll often ask me if I've identified any birds recently (he's an ornithologist) or if I have any questions about ecology in general. These little encounters really make me appreciate the size of Bowdoin and the amount professors invest in their students. At a large university, I don't imagine professors make much time for a freshman biology aspirant. Here, it's unusual for a serious science major to graduate without having spent a significant amount of time working in a professors lab, probably graduating as a published author.

For the first few weeks of school, I couldn't get over how kind people were. I didn't meet my first asshole until a month or two had passed. Coming from a private school where athletes were generally written off as jerks, I was thrilled to find out that many of my friends were varsity high school athletes or even competing on the college's teams. That being said, there is definitely a rift in the student body between athletes and non-athletes. Since athletes can't drink on Fridays or Saturdays, they usually party on Sunday and Monday night, when everyone else is studying. Since a lot of the social life is centered around weekend events, which sport events prevent athletes from attending, athletes tend to do the majority of their socializing with each other. Generally, students are very engaged in what goes on around campus. If anything, there are too many student organizations for the size of the school, and people have trouble recruiting enough support for that reason, but that's hardly a criticism. Being relegated to Maine, political activism is fairly limited, but the Young Democrats have still managed to raise a lot of disucssion and awareness about the presidential campaign. Compared to my high school, which was perhaps suprisingly diverse for a private school, Bowdoin is not so diverse. Black students here definitely tend to themselves, but other minority groups seem better integrated. I haven't yet figured out why the black students aren't more connected, because it seems like relationships between black and non-black students are common. When the weekend comes around, however, people fall back into their respective groups.

Come to Bowdoin. A big university with rich graduate programs is the place for graduate school, not for the student who wants to make an impact on his institution and feel at home on his campus. Bowdoin is an environment well suited for learning from peers and professors, and for having a ridiculously fun ride at the same time.

Partly. Coming from a prep school myself, Bowdoin seems less preppy to than high school. At the same time, there are a lot of private school kids here, but I think that is probably more a phenomena of highly selective colleges everywhere than something specifc to Bowdoin. As for alcohol, Bowdoin students do drink a lot, and some of us even pride ourselves on our capacities. That said, some major campus organizations and scenes don't involve any drinking. The best example is probably the outing club, which includes a huge portion of the campus, but doesn't condone (or even allow) drinking on any events. No one has a problem with this either because the culture of the outing club is pretty alcohol free in the first place.

In general, academics at Bowdoin are superb. Like I already mentioned, Professors are very interested in reaching out to students who show interest. If you show up to class prepared every day, ask intelligent questions, and visit during office hours, you're bound do become friends with the professor of the class. One complaint I would make, however, is about pre-major advising. Bowdoin is actually working on revamping its current system, which is a good thing because right now, a pre-major advisor is little more than a signature on your course selection card. I haven't personally suffered much from this because I am pretty organized about selecting classes. I also sought advice from upperclassmen (something else that is pretty easy to do at a small liberal arts school). Someone who might want more guidance, however, might find themselves a little frustrated as course selection roles around each semester. In terms of academic culture on campus, there is definitely a spectrum. You can't survive at Bowdoin without putting in a significant number of studying hours each day, but you can definitely pull of C's and B's without too much effort. A's are notoriously hard to come by. I'll finish this (lengthy) response by saying that in general, I think Bowdoin students have a very healthy attitude towards studying. Sure, some students live their four college years in the basement of the library, but most students end up dividing their time between a few extracurriculars and their studies. As a member of the outing club and frisbee, I try to be as efficient with my studying as possible to be able to compete in weekend tournaments and participate in and lead outing club trips as frequently as possible.

You can realistically party three nights a week: Thursday through Saturday. A lot of freshmen do this, and a significant number of students drink heavily through all three years (I could be a bit biased coming from the frisbee team, which, along with men's rugby, probably drink more than anyone else on campus). That said, every night has "chem free" options like movies, swing dancing, poetry and music events, etc. Last weekend I went out on Thursday night with the Frisbee team, playing drinking games in one of the college houses until 11pm when we migrated to the pub to hear The Mathematicians play. They have a huge following among the frisbee team, so the concert was a blast. Friday morning I went to class, and around 1 oclock I left with 3 friends to go ice-climbing on Mt. Washington. We stayed in the Harvard Mountaineering Club Cabin between Tuckermans and Huntingtons Ravine. When we came home on Saturday, I went out again to another social house party, where drinking games and dancing were the main events. I finished that night sleeping at my girlfiend's room.

Bowdoin is often cast as a school full of prep school graduates and boozing athletes.

Academics are strong, students take the work seriously Kids are really ambitious and while there are some stereotypical jocks, most kids are really open-minded and friendly.

yeah there are preppy and a lot of athletes

That we're preppy, but what's wrong with that? J Crew is my HOMMIE Honestly, Bowdoin is incredibly diverse for a liberal arts school. There are 100s of organizations and a really well rounded student body.

Sophie

Sometimes Bowdoin feels very small, but when it comes to classes this is the best part! all of my professors know my name and can discuss my work with ease. I can get as much one on one attention as I want and it's easy to participate in calss. The college town has lots of good restaurants although a lot of them are closed on Sunday. Freeport is fun for a day trip. It's a little hard to find a group at first if you're not on a sports team because most everyone is.

Yes however that is not necessarily bad. There are plenty of people who do not fit those categories as well. It seems like the school is slowly leaving part of the upperscale college for prep school kid image behind (hopefully).

Classes are awesome, see above.

alot of drinking thurs-saturday so if you're not into that sometimes it's hard to find stuff to do. depending on what dorm you live in, doors are open. no one dates here, they hook up. Hockey and basketball games are somewhat popular. If i'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I am relaxing after a longggg night of homework or finishing homework. There aren't any frat/sororities but the social houses are an interesting replacement.

There are a lot of athletes, and people here can definately be preppy/there are a lot of prepschool kids.

The great thing about Bowdoin is its size. Because its so small, every student is really involved in one or a few activitities on campus, and they work hard to take ownership of campus. Students challenge each other academically, and the intense environment pushes you to give your all to the school.

The student body is incredibly liberal and open. I have witness no homophobia or racism on campus- I think students pride themselves in this fact. Many students are preppy or well dressed, but they mostly wear patagonia fleeces and LLBean moccasins. There is little class awareness here, and financial backgrounds are not that prevalent. The sports teams tend to stick together, and a lot of students are jocks.

Most students are definitely from New England, or from outside of Boston, which can be intimidating at times.

Professors know your name, and really take an interest in your academic success. You can get lunch with your professors, and they are very available if you ever have questions. The English Department does not offer that many interesting classes, however.

Social houses serve as the main place to host parties, and most freshman and sophomores rely on the social house scene. Fraternities and sororities are non-existant, which is nice. Athletic events are fairly popular, especially hockey games. Bowdoin hosts a guest speaker every friday, and that is a very popular events.

I think people assume that Bowdoin students are overly stressed out, preppy or pretentious, and mainly from New England.

Brooke

Mixture of outdoorsy and preppy

Class participation is very common

yoni

Pack animals are big here at Bowdoin. people tend to move in flocks from place to place here and individualism doesn't always work. It definitely gets better as people get older, but there are undeniable cliques.

Never allow yourself to get dragged in to taking a lame survey, they're really only after your balls.

I would say this is the best part. classes and teachers are the best I've ever had. definitely take english classes here.

Parties here are ok, if you are drunk they have the reputation to be awesome. socializing while not drinking here tends to be problematic, though.

that we come in two flavors (hippie and preppy) and that we are either pretentious or relatively cool.

Kelly

Bowdoin is a really great school. People here are incredibly friendly (you'll have to come visit to understand this) and incredibly smart, but people rarely compare themselves to others. We are very environmentally conscious, not necessarily in the tree-hugger way but more in the turn off your lights or take little steps to save the environment sort of way. Athletics can be a big deal and a big part of your social life if you want them to be but you don't have to be an athlete to be "cool." I think the coolest thing about Bowdoin is there isn't really a "cool." Everyone is pretty secure with themselves and people are generally accepted for who they are.

I feel like Bowdoin is a very open campus. I friends who are athletes and friends who act, and although there may be groups of students on campus they never feel mutually exclusive. For example, there are athletes who participate in Bowdoin College Democrats or a capella singers who played on the JV soccer team with me. I feel like Bowdoin students are generally liberal and relatively politically aware, even if they aren't necessarily politically active.

Bowdoin is a really great school full of intellectually curious people who are more concerned about learning (and having fun while doing it) than competing with each other. It often gets written off as too preppy, too remote, or too nerdy but it's none of those things. The community of students and faculty here at Bowdoin is a pretty incredible experience but you won't know what I'm talking about unless you come visit.

Bowdoin students are definitely smart - there's no denying that. As to the "preppiness" of Bowdoin students, while we may wear collared shirts or expensive jeans, we are not nearly as preppy as comparable liberal arts schools. Also, we care a lot less about how other people see us than the stereotypical prep. Bowdoin may be less ethnically/racially diverse than some schools but there is lots of geographic and socioeconomic diversity... It certainly doesn't feel like all the same people.

My professors have been wonderful. First semester all of them were international, which was really awesome. All of my professors have gotten to know my name within a few classes. My classes are generally between 15 and 35 students, which has been great. My favorite class was my freshman seminar because it really challenged me to think about the world in a different way and interact with people from totally different backgrounds than where I grew up.

Students in dorms generally leave their doors open, and each floor (at least freshman year) generally develops a sense of community. Also, at some point in the year people begin expanding outside of their floor and even outside of their dorm. The dating scene is relatively non-existent at Bowdoin - don't come here expecting to find numerous individuals who are looking for a serious relationship, at least not at first. The couples I know of are very happy but are relatively rare.

Bowdoin students are preppy, smart, wealthy. Bowdoin lacks diversity and is in the middle of nowhere.

Susan

The best thing about Bowdoin are the open minded students and professors who willingly engage in a living-learning community.

Diversity - in every sense of the word is the prime initiative at Bowdoin.

Bowdoin's setting is phenomenal.

Not always. There are all types o people.

I dog sit for my proffessor and know them as people. hey are unbeleiveably supportive .

Outing Club, Dance groups, Acapella, Instramural sports

Preppy, outdoor granola types, liberal

Will

Best thing academically: Professors. Best thing overall: Ivies Weekend. Good student body size if you like close contact with professors and peers. The town is great. Go to the Little Dog Cafe! Administration recently started buying carbon credits from some wind energy company. I pay 40+ a year to get an education, to live in a nice dorm and to eat good food. I do not pay 40+ a year to subsidize an unreliable, insignificant source of alternative energy.

Don't know that anyone would really feel out of place. It's easy to find a niche without ending up in a clique. Very intellectually soft, self-affirming leftist political atmosphere, but you won't be castigated for leaning another direction. Econ majors talk about how much they'll earn one day.

Academics are great; challenging but not unreasonable. Best prof I've had is is Patrick Rael of the history department. Phenomenal teacher. The history department is pretty solid as a whole. Classes are generally pretty small and participation is generally expected. The amount of work you do depends on your major. History, English, Gov, and the sciences stand out as the most demanding. Sociology, Religion, Gender and Women's studies are all bullshit areas of study and are much easier.

Outing Club is big. Lots of skiers, hikers, etc. About half the student body plays a sport. Being on the soccer team has been a great athletic and social experience. No frats, thankfully. Partying primarily on fridays and saturdays. Ivies is the best party week/weekend of the year. Last weekend of April. Not unusual to go Wednesday through Sunday. Some good guest speakers. Christopher Hitchens most recently.

smart, mildly attractive, athletic, bookish

Bowdoin College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.