Bowdoin College

« See more reviews of Bowdoin College

The student body is incredibly liberal and open. I have witness no homophobia or racism on campus- I think students pride themselves in this fact. Many students are preppy or well dressed, but they mostly wear patagonia fleeces and LLBean moccasins. There is little class awareness here, and financial backgrounds are not that prevalent. The sports teams tend to stick together, and a lot of students are jocks.

Bowdoin is very liberal with special interest groups on campus. It almost favors gay pride which can sometimes be annoying. It seems like every week is a different "minority week." Everyone is definitely nice and friendly and won't treat you bad. Students are from all over the world - even though there's a large portion from New England/Massachusetts.

While Bowdoin is predominantly white and wealthy, I don't think anyone would feel out of place. Everyone is accepted for who they are, and everyone has the opportunity to thrive. While the LGBT and racial minority communities are quite small, there is not need to stick with those groups because you feel you don't belong anywhere else.

Again, the people are great, and thus the nightlife is more than sufficient for those who get off on friends and community. That's important in the cold months of the Maine winter (though in all fairness the fall and the last month of school are beautiful), and is something that has more than anything made Bowdoin my home.

Bowdoin students are happiest when they're busy. But that doesn't mean we hide in the libraries doing work. Students here like to explore and try new things, as dorky as that sounds. We pretty much make sure we fill up our schedules with as many extracurriculars as we can handle.

Most students wear either jeans and a T-shirt to class or leggings, uggs, and a sweatshirt. Pretty laid back. There are way too many trust funds. If you can't deal with having a lot of friends who have more money than you, this is probably not the place.

Engaging, friendly, welcoming people who are as committed to both academics and enjoying college life as you are. They know how to work and get important things done, but when it's time to relax and/or party, they know how to do it.

Most Bowdoin students are upper middle class kids from the suburbs. There is a common school wardrobe of Patagonia fleeces, designer jeans, cable knit sweaters, and LL Bean boots.

While Bowdoin has a diverse student body that is comparable to the U.S.'s national racial makeup but within the school itself there is very little interracial group mixing.