Bowdoin College

« See more reviews of Bowdoin College

I'm from California and on the west coast there's a bit of a stereotype that east coast schools and people are pretty stuck up. So, I was a little apprehensive when I came to Bowdoin. Luckily, I have found Bowdoin students to be so down to earth. Bowdoin students are a very diverse group and come from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds. I am constantly surprised by the challenges students have overcome in order to make it to Bowdoin.

Statistically there's not that much diversity at Bowdoin: racial, economical, sexual. But that's not to say the campus is devoid of different kinds of people. I have met all sorts of people at Bowdoin from a wide variety of backgrounds, and I'm still meeting different people. I think because bowdoin is so small you're most likely to actually meet some people who in a larger setting you might never get an oppurtunity to talk to.

Not much w. relations...Wear to class: LL Bean boots, sweatshirt jeans. Diff't students interact. Black kids, and then a bunch of tables of sports bowdoin sports teams.. Financial:well off. Students from: Maine or Mass. Some political awareness, not a ton, predominantly left. NOt much talk of future jobs. Most kids expect to do well, but right now they're focused on learning and having a good time.

white, preppy new-england prep school educated, from just outside of boston, athletic, cliquey—many of these stereotypes are true. There are more exceptions now more than ever—particularly as the admissions office makes an effort to "branch out"—but come on, they aren't fooling anyone—tons of kids here are still from New England. And fifty years from now, my guess is that won't change dramatically.

experience-wise there is a remarkable amount of diversity-- but you have to seek it out, because on the surface, it's a lot of white wealthy straight kids. but! BQSA (queer straight alliance) is a wonderful group on campus that works hard to make it an LGBTQ friendly community. the student body is incredibly active and over achievers! in extracurriculars along with academics.

Bowdoin is not the most racially diverse school, don't let them tell you that it is. The thing about Bowdoin's idealogy is that they TRY. They are doing everything in their power to make the school and more diverse place. Take the elmination of all loans starting in 2008. How amazing is that? Students will graduate almost debt free...it's amazing.

There is a real mix of students here. From Vineyard Vines to flannel and Carhardt, we've got it all. I guess what I'm most impressed with is how well everyone meshes together. There are certainly groups of friends, but everyone is just so friendly. Upperclassmen are really welcoming to underclassmen - that's the nature of the social house system.

Bowdoin is a very white-bread community but is making all efforts to diversify - there is absolutely more diversity than there was even a couple years ago. No student should feel out of place at Bowdoin if they make the effort - As long as you're willing to put yourself out there, and be active socially, you'll have a great time.

Don't know that anyone would really feel out of place. It's easy to find a niche without ending up in a clique. Very intellectually soft, self-affirming leftist political atmosphere, but you won't be castigated for leaning another direction. Econ majors talk about how much they'll earn one day.

It is pretty diverse, a lot more than I thought it would be, at least. There are definitely groups still however. The middle-upper class family background is predominant on campus, however, students do not flaunt their financial background. It seems like 3 out of every 5 people you meet live in "boston".