Bowdoin College

« See more reviews of Bowdoin College

If you are interested in making a difference, and you want to learn and explore and make tons of friends from all walks of life, apply to Bowdoin. If the academics and people don't convince you, just remember that we have the second best food in the country. Is Bowdoin perfect? Of course not. If we were, that'd be pretty creepy. And it's not the place for everyone. But at least come check us out. You'll be surprised by how many people come up to you and ask you if you need any directions, as you hold and rotate your map. In the winter we may be cold, but we're cold together. And I haven't gotten to my first Spring yet, but I've heard it's fantastic. To be honest, Bowdoin was not my first choice, and I was pretty nervous about coming here. In fact, I was terrified of going to college at all. I can't tell you how shocked I was at how quickly I adjusted and felt totally comfortable here. Basically, it's good to be a polar bear.

I just have to say that I have enjoyed Bowdoin more than I ever thought I could. As a biologist, I have learned about bird anatomy while skinning an owl. I have done laboratory research at the Coastal Studies Center and taken lunch breaks to swim in the ocean off the docks. I have played in numerous campus rock bands and won many a snow ball battle on the quad. I have been able to better myself as a student and as a person. I think these are the opportunities that Bowdoin offers to its students, and all it takes is a little effort to explore them.

Everything. It seems corny, I know, but the people at Bowdoin are spectacular. I have never felt more welcomed anywhere than at Bowdoin, a feeling which held true during both my pre-frosh visit there and during my freshman year. My fellow peers were more than willing to welcome me into their lives as well as answer my endless questions. The food is also incredible, and people at Bowdoin LOVE their mealtimes and view them as a chance to commune with one another and reconnect after a busy day.

Bowdoin is a really great school full of intellectually curious people who are more concerned about learning (and having fun while doing it) than competing with each other. It often gets written off as too preppy, too remote, or too nerdy but it's none of those things. The community of students and faculty here at Bowdoin is a pretty incredible experience but you won't know what I'm talking about unless you come visit.

You have to remember, college is what you make of it. I would say that Bowdoin is an environment where you can find the crowd you want to find, do what you're passionate about, and face very little ridicule or judgement by the student body. It's a friendly, down-to-earth, energetic, and overall comfortable school.

Although it's small, it seemed to be the most economically diverse schools I looked at. There is a great balance between working hard, playing hard, and athletics. Generally students are very happy at Bowdoin and love being at school. It's a very close knit community and the alumni network is strong.

The social student who likes to work hard and play decently hard will thrive here. It can feel like a camp sometimes (usually in a good way), but you can escape that feeling quite easily on weekend adventures.

I think that pretty much says it. I could go on about any of a number of things, but these are the attributes that have made Bowdoin not just an awesome place to be, but also my home.

Sometimes I look around on campus and wonder how half the kids here actually got into what the guidebooks call an "extremely competitive college." It's really fucking cold here.

Nothing left to say. This survey was long, but Bowdoin is a great place to be. It can be extremely whack at times and other times I cannot wish to be anywhere else.